Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Steve must be rolling in his grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
Sounds like a good way to purposely brick your phone, bring it into the Apple store, play dumb and walk out with a brand-new one.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Pivo posted:

Facebook on the desktop does this too, it reorders your feed into what it THINKS will be most interesting for you based on ~~algorithms~~. To be honest it's fairly accurate, if my friend posts something and people start commenting on it, Facebook will bring it to the top and show it to me, which is kinda what I'm interested in anyway, discussions amongst friends or active posts basically.

I always thought this was dumb because if my friends are actively commenting on something then it's going to show up as Most Recent anyway.

Oh well, we just have to deal with Facebook passive-aggressively turning Most Recent back to Top Stories every few days.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Pivo posted:

100% bullshit. 1170 is not an integer value that means anything specific in UNIX or POSIX-compliant systems, nor would a date like January 1 1970 ever be represented as integer 1170. Time and dates are stored as offset of seconds from the epoch (in general, exceptions exist), which is Thursday 1 January 1970, but that would be integer 0, to represent the first second of the year 1970, as far as that system is concerned. UNIX doesn't have a "code for false". In general we take a non-zero return to mean an error condition when dealing with returns from executables, but in common systems programming languages we accept that 0 will probably usually represent 'false'. This is not always the case, just like we can't assume much about C data types, and why saying '8 bits in a byte' is technically incorrect. Platforms differ.

But representing a date of 1/1/1970 as the integer 1170, no one would do that, like do you even Y2K bro

That's what Apple has told us, anyway (that was copied verbatim from their internal email). Either way, the battery trick fixes the issue so whatever (and that much I can confirm as I personally have fixed a few of them today).

empty baggie fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 14, 2016

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
iPhone 6 Plus, side pocket: bent within 15 days.
iPhone 6s Plus, back pocket, unsat upon: bent within 15 days.

I can't wait to try my luck with the too-thin-for-a-headphone-jack iPhone 7 Plus.

I'm not even American-fat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Use fabric softener

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

I bought looser pants because I really wanted to make this relationship work. :saddowns:

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Post pics of the phone in your pants. You must sport some serious bulge.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I bet a saddle brown would've saved you.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Lazyhound posted:

I bought looser pants because I really wanted to make this relationship work. :saddowns:

*loser

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The 6s series uses a different alloy and has reinforced spots to prevent bending. What the gently caress did you do.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Tries to use it as a prybar I assume.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So I've been making music playlists on my iPhone for the last couple of days. Out of the blue just now, my phone deleted all music that I've ever added to a playlist- but ONLY the music that was added to the playlists. The rest of the albums are still in tact, aka any music I didn't have on a playlist.

Anyone have any possible idea why this happened?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

the panacea posted:

I bet a saddle brown would've saved you.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

cowofwar posted:

Post pics of the phone in your pants. You must sport some serious bulge.

no homegrown

xzzy posted:

Tries to use it as a prybar I assume.

I avoided the common newbie gaffes, but I've discovered that if I let the camera bulge hang off the edge of the table, put constant pressure on one corner, and tap on the opposite one, I can bang out some pretty sick Morse code.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Reminder that noted saddle brown-lover Noirstronaut was permabanned for being a creepy pedophile.

Orange silicone wins again.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Endless Mike posted:

Reminder that noted saddle brown-lover Noirstronaut was permabanned for being a creepy pedophile.

Say what.

edit: Looked it up. Why am I not shocked that the pedo has a thing for anime.

the panacea
May 10, 2008

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
Saddle brown only cures your physical ailments.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got a saddle brown recently thanks to this thread and although I like my phone naked like my kids this case is pretty great

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Endless Mike posted:

Oh thank god.

...not about the case thing. Naked4life.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Definitely +1 for orange silicone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Dark grey silicone with space grey iPhone, looks sort of like my old 5! :buddy:

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm not sure Saddle Brown can recover from this, the brand may be tainted. Chipotle and Saddle Brown... too young... too beautiful

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Is there something better than the stock podcast app? The stock one goes so slow, is buggy, and just lags all the time.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

nwin posted:

Is there something better than the stock podcast app? The stock one goes so slow, is buggy, and just lags all the time.

There's a separate Apps thread that discusses that with frequency.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Why anyone would use anything aside from a black leather case on a black iPhone or white leather case on a white iPhone is beyond me.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

No case on a rose gold for the real ones

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I got the Apple® iPhone 5s™ black leather case and it both looks and feels extremely nice. Unfortunately the plastic ring around the camera hole makes the case a fraction of a millimeter thicker in one corner so the phone sits at an almost imperceptible angle. It bothers me because I'm a crazy person.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I just decided to give Apple Music another shot and it doesn't load album art for music I've saved to my library if I'm on LTE; I have to connect to WiFi for the artwork to load. The art loads just fine when I'm searching and browsing stuff, but it doesn't appear in "My Music" until I'm on WiFi. Is this the standard behavior?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Apple Music has been good 50% of the time and a big piece of poo poo the other 50%. My latest piece of poo poo complaint against it is that you can't actually heart/like songs on your Apple Watch. The options are there, they just don't do anything.

Also I'm pretty sure my stations are straight up ignoring shot I like/dont like because I'm sure I've liked the same loving song like 5 times this week.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Raxivace posted:

So I've been making music playlists on my iPhone for the last couple of days. Out of the blue just now, my phone deleted all music that I've ever added to a playlist- but ONLY the music that was added to the playlists. The rest of the albums are still in tact, aka any music I didn't have on a playlist.

Anyone have any possible idea why this happened?

Do you sync with itunes 12? It has a playlist bug that has been allegedly fixed with every update since early in the beta but still comes up and this sort of sounds similar to it. If it is, if you unsync the playlist, reboot your phone, resync the playlist, it usually resolves it.

Only a possible idea but it's something.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Apple has been ordered to offer 'reasonable technical support' to law enforcement in their efforts to decrypt the San Bernadino shooter's iPhones. They want help bypassing the auto-erase feature as well as accessing the iCloud account's data. Apple has said in the past they would comply with NSLs and government orders for data, but this is a rather public request and I am extremely curious how Apple will respond. I'm sure they'll roll over provide whatever data they want, because they basically have to, right? But part of me is hoping they won't. I really feel awful saying that considering the circumstances, but the implications could be huge.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/san-bernardino-shooting/judge-forces-apple-help-unlock-san-bernardino-shooter-iphone-n519701

Jarogue
Nov 3, 2012

Finally thinking of getting a smart phone, and am liking at the iPhone 5. What is the differences between 5 and 5s and what can the iPhone 6 do that the iPhone 5 can't?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

iPhone 5 is very old in terms of phones. It's only 32 bit, which means no Adblocking.

5s onwards all have 64 bit processors and fingerprint scanners.

5s is still a great phone. If you're in countries that support it, the 6 and 6s also have Apple Pay.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

decypher posted:

Apple has been ordered to offer 'reasonable technical support' to law enforcement in their efforts to decrypt the San Bernadino shooter's iPhones. They want help bypassing the auto-erase feature as well as accessing the iCloud account's data. Apple has said in the past they would comply with NSLs and government orders for data, but this is a rather public request and I am extremely curious how Apple will respond. I'm sure they'll roll over provide whatever data they want, because they basically have to, right? But part of me is hoping they won't. I really feel awful saying that considering the circumstances, but the implications could be huge.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/san-bernardino-shooting/judge-forces-apple-help-unlock-san-bernardino-shooter-iphone-n519701
Ars has a better article:
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2016/02/judge-apple-must-help-fbi-unlock-san-bernardino-shooters-iphone/

And yeah the implications are huge, so I don't think they'll just roll over.

Jarogue posted:

Finally thinking of getting a smart phone, and am liking at the iPhone 5. What is the differences between 5 and 5s and what can the iPhone 6 do that the iPhone 5 can't?
5s is a lot faster, better camera features, I think it's when they intro'd motion sensor for health, etc, a bunch of stuff basically. I think it's also the first with a 64-bit CPU, which is becoming a cutoff for some features, like the Safari ad blockers now, and upcoming night mode (fake edit: forgot about Touch ID). 6 is a bit faster and has yet more random improvements, and bigger screen obviously. I forget where the main improvements are, but I know there's a lot with the camera.

I'd avoid the 5 completely if possible, 5s isn't bad...but if you can wait a bit, the long running rumor is that there'll be a new small iPhone with 6s guts (which is fast as hell), albeit without the fancy pressure sensitive screen. If you want the form factor you'll have a new phone, if you want a cheaper phone it should hopefully devalue the 5s further.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

japtor posted:

And yeah the implications are huge, so I don't think they'll just roll over.
Apple has released a public statement saying that they are challenging the demands.

http://www.apple.com/customer-letter/

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The 5 to 5s jump is huge and while I would totally still recommend a 5s if you can get one for a good price (which shouldn't be difficult used considering I got one below $300 over a year ago), I would never suggest a 5 at this point.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Yeah apps have really passed the 5 by in terms of memory requirements. It seems like no apps retain their state when I switch out on my 5c any more. It's a fresh reload almost every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Minidust posted:

Yeah apps have really passed the 5 by in terms of memory requirements. It seems like no apps retain their state when I switch out on my 5c any more. It's a fresh reload almost every time.
Well, the 5s and 6 have the same amount of RAM, so this won't be changed with a 5s.