Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I wonder if a lot of politicians go broke when their careers take a downswing, a la professional athletes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
All these broke politicians are a national security risk. The probability of them selling out the country for pocket change is a considerable matter of concern.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.

Not a Children posted:

I wonder if a lot of politicians go broke when their careers take a downswing, a la professional athletes.

Not really (in the modern age, it basically did happen to president Grant). A lot of politicians had better-paying careers before they went into politics, and even if they didn't, there are a lot of options available for ex-politicians who want to make money.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't want to judge Rubio too harshly, a lot of people in debt got hosed over by the system or unfortunate personal circumstances. But holy poo poo $80k speedboat and $50k Audi, I have no sympathy.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Not a Children posted:

being in politics is like a professional athlete in college, you get the fame not the money, when you are done you get the money.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jmcrofts posted:

I didn't want to judge Rubio too harshly, a lot of people in debt got hosed over by the system or unfortunate personal circumstances. But holy poo poo $80k speedboat and $50k Audi, I have no sympathy.

Rubio also ran up tens of thousands of dollars in personal expenses on a company card issued to him by the Republican party.

http://thinkprogress.org/politics/2015/11/05/3719535/rubio-credit-card/

He's the living embodiment of bad with money. Quite rich but also flat broke. However much money he earns, he manages to spend even more.

The great thing about being rich and bad with money, as opposed to poor and bad with money, is that there are no consequences.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
BWM: Deutsche Bank with only 0.1% equuity in their positions. They are carrying out a buy back of $5b bonds. This will increase their equuity to 0.11%. They'll be fine so long as there isn't a financial disaster in Europe or China.

China's foreign reserves are just about depleted and their economy is loaded up on debt, including 4-5 times the potential bad debt of the subprime collapse.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/world/76893478/china-a-ticking-time-bomb

quote:

China's system is even more precarious when we realise that, even at the biggest banks, loans are not made to borrowers based upon their ability to repay. Instead, loan decisions are political decisions made by the state.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Feb 15, 2016

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Is there a word filter for equity now?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
No I did that deliberately; Deutsche Bank has trillions of a euros in horse loans.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Devian666 posted:

No I did that deliberately; Deutsche Bank has trillions of a euros in horse loans.

May not be joking....

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
Kayne West has managed to get himself $53m in debt. $46m from failed clothing lines.
http://www.zmonline.com/spy/kanye-west-in-53-million-of-debt/

Presumably the other $7m was spent on in-app purchases.
http://thedishh.com/kanye-west-north-already-has-a-spending-problem

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Devian666 posted:

Kayne West has managed to get himself $53m in debt. $46m from failed clothing lines.
http://www.zmonline.com/spy/kanye-west-in-53-million-of-debt/

Presumably the other $7m was spent on in-app purchases.
http://thedishh.com/kanye-west-north-already-has-a-spending-problem

That, can't be normal. A lot of celebrities make their own clothing lines and many of those products bomb, but they don't put their own money up. At the very least you'd think Kayne had the pull and influence to incorporate and not sign anything making himself personally responsible to the debt.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Luckily Kim is worth a bajillion and this isn't really a problem for him. Rich people debt problems.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Virigoth posted:

Luckily Kim is worth a bajillion and this isn't really a problem for him. Rich people debt problems.

You mean unfortunately.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

That, can't be normal. A lot of celebrities make their own clothing lines and many of those products bomb, but they don't put their own money up. At the very least you'd think Kayne had the pull and influence to incorporate and not sign anything making himself personally responsible to the debt.

Kanye West may have various debt obligations totaling $53 million but that probably does not mean his net worth is negative $53 million

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Virigoth posted:

How is she worth so much? What, exactly, does she do? I guess all I need to do is make a sextape and I'll get rich & famous too, right? It worked for Kim Kardassian and Paris Hilton.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

BloodBag posted:

How is she worth so much? What, exactly, does she do? I guess all I need to do is make a sextape and I'll get rich & famous too, right? It worked for Kim Kardassian and Paris Hilton.

They already had money from family, then used that money to put themselves into the consumer's eye and marketed products and brands around themselves.

Nice gig if you can get it.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

BloodBag posted:

Her mobile game somehow brought in $200m in revenue

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

You can get rich for being famous and vice versa. A vicious cycle, to be sure.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Her mobile game somehow brought in $200m in revenue

It turned out to be far less. They were using some really fanciful projections (like assuming it'd have Farmville levels of addiction).

I read that each Kardashian makes roughly 15 million a year from the reality show. They can also make millions in appearance fees. During her peak, Paris Hilton made about 10 million a year just doing that. They'll fly out to open a supermarket in Dubai or some poo poo for a quarter of a million dollars.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Krispy Kareem posted:

It turned out to be far less. They were using some really fanciful projections (like assuming it'd have Farmville levels of addiction).

I read that each Kardashian makes roughly 15 million a year from the reality show. They can also make millions in appearance fees. During her peak, Paris Hilton made about 10 million a year just doing that. They'll fly out to open a supermarket in Dubai or some poo poo for a quarter of a million dollars.

I hate the culture that the US exports. gently caress this poo poo is so stupid.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Krispy Kareem posted:

Please tell me they used run rate. :allears:

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

tumblr hype man posted:

Please tell me they used run rate. :allears:

Every time I hear that term I twitch. It's corporate BWM.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BloodBag posted:

I hate the culture that the US exports. gently caress this poo poo is so stupid.

Culture isn't exported, it's imported.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
How low can you go?

Kanye West claims to be $53m in debt, and asks Mark Zuckerberg for help
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/feb/15/kanye-west-53m-debt-mark-zuckerberg-larry-page-martin-shkreli

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/698926987281371136

r0ck0 fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Feb 15, 2016

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Dr. Eldarion posted:

Every time I hear that term I twitch. It's corporate BWM.

Run rate works for cost savings.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

Subjunctive posted:

Culture isn't exported, it's imported.

Our people are now buying your blue jeans and listening to your pop music. We fear the rest of the world will succumb to the influence of your culture.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

The celebrity entitlement attitudes on display in this article make me ill.

Eat the rich

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dammit Yeezy, that's some Late Registration poo poo

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Kanye West may have various debt obligations totaling $53 million but that probably does not mean his net worth is negative $53 million

Ding Ding Ding... It is said how the press was unable to accurately communicate the above to the public. Debt isn't intrinsically bad, when you're rich it is a powerful tool

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Foma posted:

Ding Ding Ding... It is said how the press was unable to accurately communicate the above to the public. Debt isn't intrinsically bad, when you're rich it is a powerful tool

When the 'press' is actually 'some idiot posting a blog page of rich assholes' tweets', I think it's not much of a stretch to think they don't understand financial terms. I bet they actively shy away from too much money to avoid more taxes too.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Tigntink posted:

Our people are now buying your blue jeans and listening to your pop music. We fear the rest of the world will succumb to the influence of your culture.

I'm not American; basically nobody imports my country's culture.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

The real hilarity is that his ideas have led to 53 million in debts, and he wants a billion invested in his ideas. Sounds like a good investment.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I wonder if there's going to be an airbnb bubble in Houston now that Oil & Gas is going tits-up. Interesting read on the Houston reddit: here

quote:

I purchased the home coming back from an oil & gas assignment, and lived there for just over a year. After...ahem...losing the oil & gas gig, I was a little panicky about shouldering the mortgage. When I finally did get another job, I couldn't afford the house but couldn't stomach the idea of paying a realtor 5 figures to sell it for me.

He says that he's making $6,000 in revenue a month on this unit. The only wrinkle I can see comes from the same direction the ridesharing wrinkles come from: Insurance.

quote:

Most insurers ambiguously cover / do not cover AirBnB tenants. So, you can get a landlord policy, but then when you make a claim you may end up hearing that "sorry, but you were running a business, and we don't cover commercial liability."

He goes on to handwave that point away and links to an insurance agency specifically for this type of thing.... and then doesn't use it because it's expensive. It's okay because

quote:

Either way, AirBnB says they have your back with a million dollar policy.

Don't the ridesharing firms say that and go on to weasel their way out of paying for anything?

So, housesharing economy...BWM?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BloodBag posted:

Don't the ridesharing firms say that and go on to weasel their way out of paying for anything?

AirBnB offers two things: $1M in liability coverage for claims brought by the guest, and $1M "host guarantee" for damage to the accommodation by a guest. Reading over the policy, the exclusions seem reasonable enough to me (cash, pets, crops, damage caused by war, etc).

I hadn't read the policies in detail until today, and I've never used the service, so you may be aware of some wrinkle that I'm not!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The host guarantee doesn't cover bed bugs, apparently

gently caress bed bugs

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Seems to me that airbnb bubble would be burst pretty quickly, because if there's less demand for housing in Houston/more businesses going under, who's going to be renting all of these airbnbs anyhow?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Nail Rat posted:

Seems to me that airbnb bubble would be burst pretty quickly, because if there's less demand for housing in Houston/more businesses going under, who's going to be renting all of these airbnbs anyhow?

People don't rent AirBnB where they live, so presumably people visiting from other less-petro places for a bit of downmarket disaster tourism.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Nail Rat posted:

The real hilarity is that his ideas have led to 53 million in debts, and he wants a billion invested in his ideas. Sounds like a good investment.

The real hilarity is anyone taking what Kanye posts on Twitter even remotely at face value

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Barry posted:

The real hilarity is anyone taking what Kanye posts on Twitter even remotely at face value

You're right, whatever he tweeted about is probably far worse. We may even see someone repossess his $750k of gold toilets.

• Locked thread