Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

El Disco posted:

Does this mean the US will start bombing the Islamic State? :ohdear:

What do you think we've been doing for nearly 2 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

C'mon dude, surely you have to realise that was :thejoke:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Radbot posted:

I know it's a holiday when I come to work and I can see the federal building's parking lot empty from my office

Same but when I worked downtown and there was no traffic and ample parking everywhere because the banks were closed.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Only children can sense pure evil.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Logikv9 posted:

Only children can sense pure douchebag.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Yeah, continuing the joke of chemical weapon use being a "red line" which would result in military strikes.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Ron Jeremy posted:

I can see reasoning behind most of those choices aside from Romney. I'd love to hear that rationale. Is he stinking rich or Mormon?

He was really disappointed/disillusioned by Obama after his first term, and felt that he didn't live up to expectations. So he decided it was time for a change. He is fairly well off, but that had nothing to do with voting for Romney.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Why do people care about mustard gas and not WP, for example?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Radbot posted:

Why do people care about mustard gas and not WP, for example?

Or depleted Uranium munitions.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Just a reminder of the state of the GOP in YOOL 20-loving-16.

:psyboom:

For those outside the South: Although this is reprehensible enough in a vacuum, 'democrat' is frequently used a codification for the n-word down here, so it is extra-bad. McMaster would know this.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Holy poo poo :stare:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Slow Graffiti posted:

He was really disappointed/disillusioned by Obama after his first term, and felt that he didn't live up to expectations. So he decided it was time for a change. He is fairly well off, but that had nothing to do with voting for Romney.

Does he have any thoughts about obstructionism? Seems odd to put that on Obama then reward the other team for his "failure."

LeeMajors posted:

For those outside the South: Although this is reprehensible enough in a vacuum, 'democrat' is frequently used a codification for the n-word down here, so it is extra-bad. McMaster would know this.

I think he meant "so we can go back to hunting them with dogs."

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

LeeMajors posted:

So since the truth is in the middle and Sanders and Trump are the same thing where's the Bernie guy saying we need to literally hunt the rich for sport?

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Radish posted:

So since the truth is in the middle and Sanders and Trump are the same thing where's the Bernie guy saying we need to literally hunt the rich for sport?

Yo

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Radish posted:

Nice try, I'm still not going to YCS :colbert:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

uh, what?

This saying is older than the hills and i've never heard democrat be code word for anything.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

FizFashizzle posted:

uh, what?

This saying is older than the hills and i've never heard democrat be code word for anything.

There are parts of the South where "Democrat" is the term in place of the n-word and everyone knows what you actually mean, but it's not socially acceptable to use the other term so you use code words to express your disdain for the lesser races.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Captain Oblivious posted:

There are parts of the South where "Democrat" is the term in place of the n-word and everyone knows what you actually mean, but it's not socially acceptable to use the other term so you use code words to express your disdain for the lesser races.

Dunno what parts you're from, but where I'm from in SC there was no use of "code words" for replacing the n-word. They just used the n-word. Or thug.

"Democrats" were simply the Washington Elite who were trying to ruin America's morals so that their lord Stalin was appeased and Communism Could Reign.

EDIT: Also went to a Bernie Rally in Denver this weekend. Smelled like Burt's Bees and weed. Then came home and watched the debate. Made me want to go back to the reasonable political landscape of China.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

in this case 'democrat' could also mean 'member or supporter of the democratic party'

dude's statement is real dumb and tone deaf but there's not much reason to go looking for cryptoracism in a statement where he's talking about hunting people with hounds

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Edit: /\/\/\ you are underestimating how polarized things are along racial lines

LeeMajors posted:

To put numbers to it, in South Carolina the democrat electorate is ~70% black

Democratic presidential primary electorate will probably be closer to 60% black due to turnout differences, but yeah

Heavy political polarization as a stand in for racial split

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I can confirm that some people use Democrat to mean Black Person but that is probably not what that dude is trying to say.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Popular Thug Drink posted:

in this case 'democrat' could also mean 'member or supporter of the democratic party'

dude's statement is real dumb and tone deaf but there's not much reason to go looking for cryptoracism in a statement where he's talking about hunting people with hounds

At the same time, the majority of Democrats in SC are black, so the imagery conjured by this statement very much is "white people hunting black people with hounds". If he wasn't a complete moron he would realize that.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

While I think that tweet is probably using Democrat in the sense of the political party I will confirm that, yes, democrat is used like this in my neck of the woods.

For clarification, I am in the southern part of Alabama and I hear 'Well, ya' know them democrats *wink wink*' comments all the time in my agricultural job.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

FizFashizzle posted:

uh, what?

Having lived the last 22yrs in this state (and 27 of my 32 altogether), 'democrat' is widely used to code for n-word.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Lotka Volterra posted:

At the same time, the majority of Democrats in SC are black, so the imagery conjured by this statement very much is "white people hunting black people with hounds". If he wasn't a complete moron he would realize that.

i just dont like this tendency to scrutinze the stupid blatherings of backwoods politicians for secret code words and sigils indicating what he really meant to say

we get it sherlock, you cracked the code, the rural white conservative from south carolina is probably a racist. the world's a little safer now

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

i just dont like this tendency to scrutinze the stupid blatherings of backwoods politicians for secret code words and sigils indicating what he really meant to say

we get it sherlock, you cracked the code, the rural white conservative from south carolina is probably a racist. the world's a little safer now

The fact he said that in a speech for the front-running for the Republican nomination is the more important bit you seem to be missing.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

He's the lieutenant governor of South Carolina. He should know better, especially given his position of power.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ethiser posted:

I can confirm that some people use Democrat to mean Black Person but that is probably not what that dude is trying to say.

Hunting people with dogs has a very specific meaning in the south.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer

Lotka Volterra posted:

He's the lieutenant governor of South Carolina. He should know better, especially given his position of power.

Refreshing that he doesn't think he need to bother. That's the power of Trump: open the racist closet door and take all the skeletons out for a weekend at bernies style hootennany

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

Lotka Volterra posted:

Wait, is this the same Lt. Gov. McMaster whose membership in a whites-only country club was a campaign issue a few years back?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

Lotka Volterra posted:

Luckly Lt Governor has 0 power in SC. When the last one had to resign because he was corrupt as hell (which is saying something) the game of musical chairs that the SC Senate had to do to avoid getting the seat was hilarious.

And he meant black people.

Tobermory posted:

Wait, is this the same Lt. Gov. McMaster whose membership in a whites-only country club was a campaign issue a few years back?

Same one. Beat Bakari Sellers for the post who apparently is a pundit for CNN now.

lamentable dustman fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 15, 2016

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Ron Jeremy posted:

Does he have any thoughts about obstructionism? Seems odd to put that on Obama then reward the other team for his "failure."

Honestly, I think he was more upset about the gridlock of the system in general and thought that perhaps Romney might have had a chance of changing that.

He was also really pissed about Obama ignoring the recommendations from the Simpson-Bowles commission.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

:allears:

You adorable peach of a unicorn, you....

SedanChair posted:

Hunting people with dogs has a very specific meaning in the south.

lamentable dustman posted:

And he meant black people.

My father in-law, and his friends and family, almost exclusively refer to blacks as 'democrats.'

Now, I'm not alleging that he literally meant black people only, but with the history of this state and the allegations that have been leveled against him for being a racist shithead, this surpasses garden variety tone-deafness and dives into the Helen Keller territory.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

lamentable dustman posted:

Luckly Lt Governor has 0 power in SC.

Well, that's good at least. Still amazing that this is coming from someone who has been in politics a long time, grew up in Columbia as opposed to Shitsville, SC and holds a relatively high office.

Republicans really have no quality control anymore.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

LeeMajors posted:

My father in-law, and his friends and family, almost exclusively refer to blacks as 'democrats.'

Now, I'm not alleging that he literally meant black people only, but with the history of this state and the allegations that have been leveled against him for being a racist shithead, this surpasses garden variety tone-deafness and dives into the Helen Keller territory.

yeah im sorry about your cracker family but i grew up in north georgia and i think we can take it as read that the dude is a poo poo without peering through a detective's spyglass trying to find out if his dumb hypeman babble refers to hunting down political opponents or hunting down racial minority political opponents

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I like this new "downplaying white extremists" role you're taking on, PTD. How'd the last one work out, when you were doing it for the Malheur occupiers?

LeeMajors posted:

In fairness, he could have been making a reference to chasing escaped (mostly black) prisoners, rather than slaves.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Tarp Man did nothing wrong.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

I don't know man, if someone ever used "democrat" in a racist sense, I'm pretty sure that means any use of democrat is potentially racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I don't know about fuckin north Georgia but I can tell you in Louisiana 'Democrat' also was an oh so clever way to not say 'black people'. I mean it's evolved into general 'minorities' now that they've caught on to us gays and poo poo but no, for some people 'democrat' does mean 'the blacks'.

• Locked thread