Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dely Apple posted:

I lucked into Rosa's bow, it's so MND that Paladin Cecil just sits back there potshotting people and serving as Healbot in times I need him to do that. I think Penelo can do it too.

Arc and Lenna can also use Bows and high-level white magic.

Alxprit posted:

Regarding Exdeath banners, I didn't know they were so sought-after. I already have great physical synergy with the Air Knife and Flametongue, but a focus on magic on one could tempt me to at least 3-pull on it.

I don't know if they're widely sought-after, but they've got stuff I need. But there's the ever-looming SSSB fest and FFT banners...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Well ++ Kefka was rude. It's becoming pretty apparent that I'm lacking in the damage department trying to do the higher bonus battles. I finally cleared it though with a bit of luck and a Runic Blade RW.

Terra was doing good work with the 4* synergy rod I have, which is like the only good non-thrown mage weapon I have in my collection. (DeNa pls, just gimme some mage weapons soon)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah there aren't a lot of great mage banners coming up. Your best bet is either Exdeath 2 (relic staff, relic rod and a generic rod) or Freya 2 (two SSB-rods and a hat).

Otherwise it'd be Minwu 2, which is right after Freya's: SSB mage bow, and a generic rod and bangle.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Confirmation of Exdeath tomorrow. Also, Bonus Quest added for Krile. Last chance to do them quests before this Wednesday when the update supposedly hits.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Dammit why did I hone Power Breakdown when I had an R2 Steal Power. Or is that a good idea since Butz is a pretty good all-rounder with Lupine Barrage?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

widespread posted:

Dammit why did I hone Power Breakdown when I had an R2 Steal Power. Or is that a good idea since Butz is a pretty good all-rounder with Lupine Barrage?

I think it's good to have both available just in case.

But man, Lupine Barrage is the most awkward SB to use with Bartz. For those who don't know, it does 5 single-target hits, and then gives the user +35% ATK (unless I'm wrong about the timing, but I don't think I am). But one of the reason Bartz is great is because he can use Steal Power, which gives the user +50% ATK, and those two buffs overwrite each other. So you can either not bring Steal Power, at which point your Lupine Barrage will be weaker because you're not pre-buffed and you potentially have to put a power breakdown on someone else, OR you can bring Steal Power and then have it overwritten when your SB makes you weaker afterward, making the "buff" actually a debuff.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

But man, Lupine Barrage is the most awkward SB to use with Bartz. For those who don't know, it does 5 single-target hits, and then gives the user +35% ATK (unless I'm wrong about the timing, but I don't think I am). But one of the reason Bartz is great is because he can use Steal Power, which gives the user +50% ATK, and those two buffs overwrite each other. So you can either not bring Steal Power, at which point your Lupine Barrage will be weaker because you're not pre-buffed and you potentially have to put a power breakdown on someone else, OR you can bring Steal Power and then have it overwritten when your SB makes you weaker afterward, making the "buff" actually a debuff.

I tend to use Steal Power up first, then if the battle still goes on, I'l pop a Lupine Barrage. Especially on them one round dungeons.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Or maybe time Lupine Barrage to go off just as Steal Power is ending. That and/or save it for the end of the fight when you could have potentially multiple Lupine Barrages ready to go.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I'm actually most interested in ExDeath's shiny toy from this event. I got a tase of how useful Runic is with dealing with ++ Kefka and having that along with some solid magic damage would be cool.

I'm not expecting a miracle though, since I'm not planning to actually spend any mythril for awhile but hey it's nice to dream.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Cult of 3-Pull on the First Terra/Kefka banner. Crystal Armor (FF5, 4*), Silver Bangle (FF13, 4*) and Black Cowl (FF4, 3*)...I have a 5* Crystal Armor and Silver Bangle now? Please RNGsus...please...let me pull Gilga's second Katana and Ramza's sword...PLEASE. ALL THE GOATS AND SOULS YOU CAN EAT...just give me what I want...:negative:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm actually most interested in ExDeath's shiny toy from this event. I got a tase of how useful Runic is with dealing with ++ Kefka and having that along with some solid magic damage would be cool.

I'm not expecting a miracle though, since I'm not planning to actually spend any mythril for awhile but hey it's nice to dream.

The bonus to Grand Cross is that it will also eat White Magic, like Holy and Slow.

Unfortunately, Ultimate Necrophobe and his barriers pack spells that can't be absorbed (specifically, Flare and Holy).

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

ApplesandOranges posted:

The bonus to Grand Cross is that it will also eat White Magic, like Holy and Slow.

Unfortunately, Ultimate Necrophobe and his barriers pack spells that can't be absorbed (specifically, Flare and Holy).

Really?

One of you put Exdeath as your RW so I can completely cheese Holy Dragon in the FF6 Elites. Screw that guy.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It's because they bounce off their own reflects, right? That's how it worked in the original and the Krile/Faris +++.

Likewise, while I'm unsure if it absorbs it or not, Grand Cross won't actually taunt any spell that targets based on HP% - which is to say, Holy Dragon/Yunalesca's Holys. It's kind of the same reason Draw Fire didn't work on Vossler's multistrikes - Highest HP% targeting overrides taunting, I think.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

KataraniSword posted:

It's because they bounce off their own reflects, right? That's how it worked in the original and the Krile/Faris +++.

Likewise, while I'm unsure if it absorbs it or not, Grand Cross won't actually taunt any spell that targets based on HP% - which is to say, Holy Dragon/Yunalesca's Holys. It's kind of the same reason Draw Fire didn't work on Vossler's multistrikes - Highest HP% targeting overrides taunting, I think.

No, they're just coded differently, as in they might be NAT instead of BLK/WHT. At least as far as I can tell.

The even more fun part about Necrophobe is that he and his barriers will use Flash to Blind your guys (and he'll even start using it as a counter later on). On the other hand, the barriers also pack some nasty counters to magic.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ApplesandOranges posted:

The even more fun part about Necrophobe is that he and his barriers will use Flash to Blind your guys (and he'll even start using it as a counter later on). On the other hand, the barriers also pack some nasty counters to magic.

Naturally, this comes right after I sell all those otherwise-worthless Silver Glasses from the first two months of the game.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
*Blinks*

uhh, did the left fin on elite just drop a major Black Orb for me 0_o

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Shoenin posted:

*Blinks*

Yep! Elite bosses later on (usually once they're greater than 120 difficulty) have a chance of dropping major orbs and a significantly higher chance of dropping Greaters.

Zone of Danger
Apr 21, 2010

Shoenin posted:

*Blinks*

You can sorta farm them from ff7 Ultima Weapon Junon the first stage. Not a great drop rate but it's 21 stamina per attempt. One of the FF9 Zorn & Thorn fights is easily farmed as well, though I can't remember what orb you'd be getting there.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
What's better for a record materia for standard/elite dungeon clearing, auto-haste or one of those sword booster-type things? I'm thinking the auto haste is better. Cause soon I'm gonna get Luneth's MC from this dungeon and then I'll have two auto-hastes and I think I should use them.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
I just like whatever makes my melee dudes able to oneshot trash with either autoattacks or some filler abilities. I rarely bring auto-haste outisde higher difficulty bosses, where I need to cast some ability ASAP or often.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Well ++ Kefka was rude. It's becoming pretty apparent that I'm lacking in the damage department trying to do the higher bonus battles. I finally cleared it though with a bit of luck and a Runic Blade RW.

Terra was doing good work with the 4* synergy rod I have, which is like the only good non-thrown mage weapon I have in my collection. (DeNa pls, just gimme some mage weapons soon)

I too wanted mage weapons. My first two were the mage throwing weapons. So uh, be careful what you wish for.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Attestant posted:

I just like whatever makes my melee dudes able to oneshot trash with either autoattacks or some filler abilities. I rarely bring auto-haste outisde higher difficulty bosses, where I need to cast some ability ASAP or often.

Yeah I remember auto haste was real important for me being able to beat the IX +++ fight we had recently. So I'll just stick with what I'm doing then. My melee sucks in most realms so what I do is make a mage party give one of em like ruinga and quake with mana spring and wipe out the trash with those. Everyone else defends except for one round then I go into the boss and wipe his rear end out. I'll do that till it stops working. I also still have tons of easy dungeons left to do so really until they're all cleared I don't hvae to worry.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Sprite141 posted:

I too wanted mage weapons. My first two were the mage throwing weapons. So uh, be careful what you wish for.

On the bright side you have easy access to Ninja magic!:v:

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Sprite141 posted:

I too wanted mage weapons. I now have every single thrown mage weapon, except Rinoa's Rising Sun. :v:

On the plus side I wreck FF8 and FF13 content by bringing both Rinoa and Hope. And I can't wait to get Edea in the future!

But I'd like the occasional Mag-heavy rod or staff too.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Alxprit posted:

Last chance to do them quests before this Wednesday when the update supposedly hits.
Maintenance is Wednesday at 10PM Pacific. I'm excited because stamina overflow was announced, which I'm used to from PAD.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Welp

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde
They finally go and add stamina overflow, but only for when you refill with mythril/gems. Thanks guys!

e: Yessssssssss only took like four bites at the apple but I got Maduin's Horn :getin:

Celery Jello fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Feb 15, 2016

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Will Cid's quests replace the current quest system?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Violet_Sky posted:

Yes, it will be retired later this week, so do anything that you want asap. I'd focus on mythril mostly.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Violet_Sky posted:

Yes, that's the idea.

So a lot of people were expecting to get the Hall of Rites (where you can trade in hero souls for characters, etc.), because Cid's missions had a bunch of Hero's Souls as rewards when released in Japan, but it doesn't sound like that's happening. Wonder if that means they'll remove those quests, or just change the rewards.

Also, I thought everyone said all of Cid's Missions worked retroactively, and didn't make you re-do stuff you'd already done. But the announcement says that only applies to the Wayfarer missions, and that you'll have to redo things for all the other missions even if you've already done them. Well that sucks.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

Schwartzcough posted:

Yes, that's the idea.

So a lot of people were expecting to get the Hall of Rites (where you can trade in hero souls for characters, etc.), because Cid's missions had a bunch of Hero's Souls as rewards when released in Japan, but it doesn't sound like that's happening. Wonder if that means they'll remove those quests, or just change the rewards.

Also, I thought everyone said all of Cid's Missions worked retroactively, and didn't make you re-do stuff you'd already done. But the announcement says that only applies to the Wayfarer missions, and that you'll have to redo things for all the other missions even if you've already done them. Well that sucks.

I think that was a backpedal on their part with the original announcement

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Schwartzcough posted:

I can only speak for myself but I never said they'd be retroactive, I said you wouldn't have to accept the mission beforehand. It's not that big a deal, the missions which aren't retroactive are all things you'll do naturally anyway (upgrade items, combine items, level characters, do relic pulls).

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Mo0 posted:

They finally go and add stamina overflow, but only for when you refill with mythril/gems. Thanks guys!

Uh, yeah? How else would it work? :confused:

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

U-DO Burger posted:

I remember it being mentioned at some point that it would work with stamina shards as well.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

U-DO Burger posted:

I guess he means when you get your fifth stamina shard it doesn't do that.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change

I came. Everywhere. loving finally, my first Ultimate finished. Ultimate Yunalesca would have been my first. But the oval office killed me at like 1-3% of her loving health. :argh:

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Holy crap, a rainbow orb! What could it-

Oh. A 5* Diamond Sword. That has IX synergy. That was also pulled from the TERROR SSB banner.

This Gackt-cha is loving weird I tell you.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

widespread posted:

Holy crap, a rainbow orb! What could it-

Oh. A 5* Diamond Sword. That has IX synergy. That was also pulled from the TERROR SSB banner.

This Gackt-cha is loving weird I tell you.

Hello not banner relic buddy. Want to form a club with my mystery veil as we lament getting lucky in bad ways?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

I feel like I've pulled more off-banner items than anything else these days. Two X items from the Yuffie event, another X item from the Beatrix event, an Ochu Tentacle from the XII event...

Technically speaking you could call it great luck since the odds of getting off-banner stuff is pretty low. Yay?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Seravadon posted:

I remember it being mentioned at some point that it would work with stamina shards as well.

Pretty sure it's never been for stamina shards

• Locked thread