Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Radish posted:

Are there any good examples of Scalia, Alito, or Thomas siding against something that followed their ideals but went against what they wanted to happen politically? I'm interested since it feels like it's happened at least one.

Scalia's vote on Texas v. Johnson (the flag burning case) comes to mind. He made no secret that he hated the result.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I thought Thomas dissented in Raich and escaped the commerce clause trap unlike Scalia.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Schizotek posted:

He might not be a toady for Scalia personally, but the dudes a moraless shill for the GOP and white conservatives. He's the ultimate "my black friend".

How dare a black person have a opinion other than whatever I've deemed acceptable? loving nig race traitor.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

There are a million reasons to ruin things.

Radish posted:

Are there any good examples of Scalia, Alito, or Thomas siding against something that followed their ideals but went against what they wanted to happen politically? I'm interested since it feels like it's happened at least one.

Not exactly the same thing, but Alito was on the dissenting side of an 8-1 case involving free speech protections of animal crush videos (he was against them).

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Wait, are you saying videos of people crushing animals are protected speech? :psyduck:

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

I looked it up and it was more nuanced than I remembered. The law as written was unconstitutional, but the day after, congress passed legislation to re-ban crush videos. Weirdly enough, it started out as an appeal related to dogfighting videos.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Stevens

Edit:
:nms: but if you want info about this completely awful fetish subculture: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crush_fetish

SousaphoneColossus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 15, 2016

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There are videos of people crushing animals? I guess I'm not surprised considering snuff films are a thing, but good lord :stonk:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Remember that if you pigeonhole Thomas the same way he pigeonholed other black Americans, *you* are the racist. Somehow.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

SousaphoneColossus posted:

Not exactly the same thing, but Alito was on the dissenting side of an 8-1 case involving free speech protections of animal crush videos (he was against them).

Obviously. The way you kill animals is with your constitutionally protected firearm, so this crushing stuff is just right out.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

VikingofRock posted:

Wait, are you saying videos of people crushing animals are protected speech? :psyduck:

The law in question got tossed because it was overbroad, not because the court held the videos in question to be protected speech.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Trump posted:

I hear Scalia was a big fan of Motivated Reasoning, so I'd just cut out the middle man and make that guy a Justice

I'm predicting reality will make this accurate soon

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
ScotusBlog dude thinks Obama is going to nominate Lynch. I could see that happening.

SousaphoneColossus
Feb 16, 2004

eviltastic posted:

The law in question got tossed because it was overbroad, not because the court held the videos in question to be protected speech.

You're right about the law being overbroad, but is this summary of the court's holding inaccurate?

quote:

Depictions of animal cruelty are not, as a class, categorically unprotected by the First Amendment.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

VikingofRock posted:

The statute in question was pretty broad and the defendant in that particular case was charge with multiple felonies for distributing self produced, full length videos on the history of the pitbull, which included a few minutes of footage of dog fights in Japan where such practice was at the time of the filming, legal.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Party Plane Jones posted:

ScotusBlog dude thinks Obama is going to nominate Lynch. I could see that happening.

If he does that then there is literally zero chance they move on her. At least Srinivasan and Kelly give the veneer of accepting current political realities.

I guess it's a good choice if he expects that they won't move on any candidate (or would somehow realize that that means she'd recuse herself and give 4-4 losses to Obama administration initiatives like Clean Air and Immigration)

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

SousaphoneColossus posted:

You're right about the law being overbroad, but is this summary of the court's holding inaccurate?

Yeah, I think the majority basically said how they could re-write the statute to only apply to the crush fetish videos and be constitutional.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Radbot posted:

Remember that if you pigeonhole Thomas the same way he pigeonholed other black Americans, *you* are the racist. Somehow.

It is entirely possible for criticism of a white supremacist to itself be racist.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If he does that then there is literally zero chance they move on her. At least Srinivasan and Kelly give the veneer of accepting current political realities.

I guess it's a good choice if he expects that they won't move on any candidate (or would somehow realize that that means she'd recuse herself and give 4-4 losses to Obama administration initiatives like Clean Air and Immigration)

Her? I know Gerard Lynch on the 2nd circuit. What Lynch are you talking about?

e: Oh, the AG. Sorry, I tunnel visioned on judges.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I would argue that crush videos are protected, but the act of crushing animals is a crime.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

KernelSlanders posted:

Her? I know Gerard Lynch on the 2nd circuit. What Lynch are you talking about?

I assume Party Plane Jones is referring to Loretta Lynch, not Gerard. Was Gerard's name even floated before now?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I assume Party Plane Jones is referring to Loretta Lynch, not Gerard. Was Gerard's name even floated before now?

Yeah, I was just being slow. And no, I don't think he's been floated. I do agree that there's virtually zero chance of her being confirmed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

KernelSlanders posted:

Yeah, I was just being slow. And no, I don't think he's been floated. I do agree that there's virtually zero chance of her being confirmed.

The only Obama appointee this Congress would confirm is Scalia's reanimated corpse.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The only Obama appointee this Congress would confirm is Scalia's reanimated corpse.

Even then they would claim that Obama used his Kenyan witch magic to resurrect Scalua to do his liberal bidding.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

So is he just banking on them not confirming? Because I don't know why he would want to have to go through another AG nomination process as well.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

ayn rand hand job posted:

I thought Thomas dissented in Raich and escaped the commerce clause trap unlike Scalia.

Thomas dissented in Raich. Scalia wrote a concurrence to differentiate Raich from Lopez and Morrison, two cases which limited the commerce clause. Scalia didn't write Lopez or Morrison, but he was a part of the majority.

Its a pretty simple argument, whether you accept it or not.

quite possibly satan posted:

Our cases show that the regulation of intrastate activities may be necessary to and proper for the regulation of interstate commerce in two general circumstances. Most directly, the commerce power permits Congress not only to devise rules for the governance of commerce between States but also to facilitate interstate commerce by eliminating potential obstructions, and to restrict it by eliminating potential stimulants. See NLRB v. Jones & Laughlin Steel Corp., 301 U. S. 1, 36-37 (1937). That is why the Court has repeatedly sustained congressional legislation on the ground that the regulated activities had a substantial effect on interstate commerce. See, e.g., Hodel, supra, at 281 (surface coal mining); Katzenbach, supra, at 300 (discrimination by restaurants); Heart of Atlanta Motel, Inc. v. United States, 379 U. S. 241, 258 (1964) (discrimination by hotels); Mandeville Island Farms v. American Crystal Sugar Co., 334 U. S. 219, 237 (1948) (intrastate price-fixing); Board of Trade of Chicago v. Olsen, 262 U. S. 1, 40 (1923) (activities of a local grain exchange); Stafford v. Wallace, 258 U. S. 495, 517, 524-525 (1922) (intrastate transactions at stockyard). Lopez and Morrison recognized the expansive scope of Congress's authority in this regard: "[T]he pattern is clear. Where economic activity substantially affects interstate commerce, legislation regulating that activity will be sustained." Lopez, supra, at 560; Morrison, supra, at 610 (same).

This principle is not without limitation. In Lopez and Morrison, the Court--conscious of the potential of the "substantially affects" test to " 'obliterate the distinction between what is national and what is local,' " Lopez, supra, at 566-567 (quoting A. L. A. Schechter Poultry Corp. v. United States, 295 U. S. 495, 554 (1935)); see also Morrison, supra, at 615-616--rejected the argument that Congress may regulate noneconomic activity based solely on the effect that it may have on interstate commerce through a remote chain of inferences. Lopez, supra, at 564-566; Morrison, supra, at 617-618. "[I]f we were to accept [such] arguments," the Court reasoned in Lopez, "we are hard pressed to posit any activity by an individual that Congress is without power to regulate." Lopez, supra, at 564; see also Morrison, supra, at 615-616. Thus, although Congress's authority to regulate intrastate activity that substantially affects interstate commerce is broad, it does not permit the Court to "pile inference upon inference," Lopez, supra, at 567, in order to establish that noneconomic activity has a substantial effect on interstate commerce.

. . .

The application of these principles to the case before us is straightforward. In the CSA, Congress has undertaken to extinguish the interstate market in Schedule I controlled substances, including marijuana. The Commerce Clause unquestionably permits this. The power to regulate interstate commerce "extends not only to those regulations which aid, foster and protect the commerce, but embraces those which prohibit it." Darby, 220 U. S. 45, 58 (1911); Lottery Case, 188 U. S. 321, 354 (1903). To effectuate its objective, Congress has prohibited almost all intrastate activities related to Schedule I substances--both economic activities (manufacture, distribution, possession with the intent to distribute) and noneconomic activities (simple possession). See 21 U. S. C. §§841(a), 844(a). That simple possession is a noneconomic activity is immaterial to whether it can be prohibited as a necessary part of a larger regulation. Rather, Congress's authority to enact all of these prohibitions of intrastate controlled-substance activities depends only upon whether they are appropriate means of achieving the legitimate end of eradicating Schedule I substances from interstate commerce.

By this measure, I think the regulation must be sustained. Not only is it impossible to distinguish "controlled substances manufactured and distributed intrastate" from "controlled substances manufactured and distributed interstate," but it hardly makes sense to speak in such terms. Drugs like marijuana are fungible commodities. As the Court explains, marijuana that is grown at home and possessed for personal use is never more than an instant from the interstate market--and this is so whether or not the possession is for medicinal use or lawful use under the laws of a particular State.3 See ante, at 23-30. Congress need not accept on faith that state law will be effective in maintaining a strict division between a lawful market for "medical" marijuana and the more general marijuana market. See id., at 26-27, and n. 38. "To impose on [Congress] the necessity of resorting to means which it cannot control, which another government may furnish or withhold, would render its course precarious, the result of its measures uncertain, and create a dependence on other governments, which might disappoint its most important designs, and is incompatible with the language of the constitution." McCulloch, supra, at 424.

Weed is easily part of interstate commerce, violence against women is not.

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 15, 2016

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
So could there be political reasoning that if he appoints lynch and they have to fillibuster for the next 8 months, people will get pissed off enough that they vote republicans out of their senate races?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

how much stuff would Lynch have to recuse herself from?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

The split goddamn second there's a nominee, could someone please make a new thread? This one has been excellent for following The Misadventurous Squabblings of Six Papists & Half So Many Jews, but as the make-up of the bench shifts, I'd very much like a new OP to bring idiots (i.e. me) up to speed on the status quo and the issues relevant to the confirmation process and future of the Court.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

pathetic little tramp posted:

So could there be political reasoning that if he appoints lynch and they have to fillibuster for the next 8 months, people will get pissed off enough that they vote republicans out of their senate races?

Republicans literally shut down our government for weeks out of spite and nobody voted any of them out of office. Raving lunatics rule the party now and the reasonable ones can't speak out because they'll get primaried out to the cornfield for another lunatic.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Maybe he wants them to refuse to move on a nominee because it gives the Dems a "look at these childish fucks who won't do their job" line of attack for the elections. They can even toss in a helping of "Regan had Kennedy confirmed and seated in an election year" as an extra gently caress You.

Honestly I hope he does it. Having the GOP constantly under fire for loving around with the SCOTUS would have to hurt them. The SCOTUS itself would also speak out sooner or later because while the 8 of them might want someone similar to themselves, not even pretending to give a nominee a fair shake is going to piss off pretty much everyone on the bench.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
Would there be precedent for Obama to nominate Lynch only to withdraw her nomination after a few months of obstructionism and nominate one of the other names on the shortlist that got like 97-0 confirmed to their current post?

I guess maybe Reagan and Bork but Bork went all the way to a vote in committee (which rejected him).

Edit: Or W. Bush and Miers who was rejected almost out of hand but only insofar as being completely unqualified. And there was significant conservative opposition to her appointment as well.

Thwomp fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Feb 15, 2016

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Evil Fluffy posted:

Maybe he wants them to refuse to move on a nominee because it gives the Dems a "look at these childish fucks who won't do their job" line of attack for the elections. They can even toss in a helping of "Regan had Kennedy confirmed and seated in an election year" as an extra gently caress You.

Honestly I hope he does it. Having the GOP constantly under fire for loving around with the SCOTUS would have to hurt them. The SCOTUS itself would also speak out sooner or later because while the 8 of them might want someone similar to themselves, not even pretending to give a nominee a fair shake is going to piss off pretty much everyone on the bench.

The new lie I'm hearing is "A supreme court justice hasn't been appointed in an election year since Rutherford Hayes," which is astonishingly bullshit, but it's what you'll be hearing everywhere because they're harping on it big time on the right wing radio shows.

Of course, Kennedy puts the lie to that, but technically he was nominated in november 87, which was in the middle of an election cycle, but not technically an election year. He wasn't confirmed until 88.

Of course Mahlon Pitney in 1912, Louis Brandeis in 1916, and Frank Murphy in 1940 were straight up election years.

Blatzmobile
Nov 1, 2012

This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Cruz, McConnell, and the rest of the Republicans believe that Obama should only be allowed to serve 3/5 of his term.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I read the pga case long ago but I think the pgas argument was that riding a cart would be an unfair advantage as walking for 4 hours is part of the competition.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Blatzmobile posted:

Cruz, McConnell, and the rest of the Republicans believe that Obama should only be allowed to serve 3/5 of his term.

:golfclap:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

pathetic little tramp posted:

The new lie I'm hearing is "A supreme court justice hasn't been appointed in an election year since Rutherford Hayes," which is astonishingly bullshit, but it's what you'll be hearing everywhere because they're harping on it big time on the right wing radio shows.

Of course, Kennedy puts the lie to that, but technically he was nominated in november 87, which was in the middle of an election cycle, but not technically an election year. He wasn't confirmed until 88.

Of course Mahlon Pitney in 1912, Louis Brandeis in 1916, and Frank Murphy in 1940 were straight up election years.

Rutherford Hayes is the only case where the Senate was held by the opposite party. The party of the president held the Senate in the other cases you cited.

It also doesn't quite match the precedent because the electors had already presumptively cast their ballots for Hayes's same-party successor, Garfield.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 15, 2016

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Squizzle posted:

The split goddamn second there's a nominee, could someone please make a new thread? This one has been excellent for following The Misadventurous Squabblings of Six Papists & Half So Many Jews, but as the make-up of the bench shifts, I'd very much like a new OP to bring idiots (i.e. me) up to speed on the status quo and the issues relevant to the confirmation process and future of the Court.

Maybe do it now and just have a nomination speculation, confirmation fight thread?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

euphronius posted:

I read the pga case long ago but I think the pgas argument was that riding a cart would be an unfair advantage as walking for 4 hours is part of the competition.

I actually liked that dissent, it may be my favorite of his. What he said was that all the rules of golf or any other are arbitrary and professional sports organizations rather than courts should be adjudicating their own rule books in deciding what rules are "essential" to the game. Further, the answer for the PGA or any other professional sports league to avoid such litigation in the future is to just not have open tryouts thereby making players part of a private club. Doing so would have the opposite effect of serving the interests of inclusion.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

KernelSlanders posted:

Maybe do it now and just have a nomination speculation, confirmation fight thread?

I'd rather wait until we have an actual nominee, because there's not a whole lot of useful, non-speculation information to consolidate into a good OP until we have a name, and the political situation has had more time than part of a long weekend to coalesce into something meaningful.

A YCS thread would be more appropriate for nominee spitballing, until something actually happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

What was with the Harriet Myers nomination? Was she legit unqualified or just not conservative enough?

Is it wrong I'd rather have her on the Court than Alito?