Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

DurosKlav posted:

Is there any way we can get some range limits on Automatic Rebel Suppression? Having 4 30k+ stacks running from NW India all the way down to Java to kill 2-3 2k rebel stacks that the other 2 30k+ armies I had stationed in Java could have easily dealt with is annoying. Especially as the rest of India has decided to pop up in rebellion because of over extension.

You're the first person I've heard of who uses the Automatic rebel suppression feature in EU4, I don't know if they'll update that any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Odobenidae posted:

You're the first person I've heard of who uses the Automatic rebel suppression feature in EU4, I don't know if they'll update that any time soon.
I never use it because of why he is asking :v:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Doublepost:

:suicide:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

You've just triggered me. Playing custom game as India and I let Majapahit sit there because I was busy focusing on rolling over Aisa but every 6 drat months I'd get and then lose a Trade CB against them. This went on for about 70+ years until I got tired of seeing the drat popup every couple minutes and ate them in one go. That was the cause of the over extension rebellion whack a mole I had going on.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
I think I found a bit of an error in the EG beta.

Crete has No Religion.

Although this is super neat, it's still, uh, a thing that I'm not quite sure you want???

Maybe it is.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Sperglord Firecock posted:

I think I found a bit of an error in the EG beta.

Crete has No Religion.

Although this is super neat, it's still, uh, a thing that I'm not quite sure you want???

Maybe it is.

I think we may have updated the file to make it Hellenic without actually adding Hellenism. Oops!

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Is having Res Republica and Wealth of Nations required to get the full experience from playing as a Republic? Over 300 hours in this game and I've never actually played one mainly because I had neither expansion and didnt think I would get the right experience from playing as one without them. I accidentally clicked the overthrow the government option and into a Republic. It doesnt matter for this game as its 1800.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Feb 15, 2016

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler
This might be a dumb question, but for the Elective Monarchy option, do you have to have a special kind of vassal to have "elections" for who will rule? Or will regular vassals work?

I'm setting up something involving it in a Random New World, where it's basically this small continent populated by Norse dudes that more kinda hew to local "state" leaders more than a government and I wanted to know if that would model it well enough or not.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

This might be a dumb question, but for the Elective Monarchy option, do you have to have a special kind of vassal to have "elections" for who will rule? Or will regular vassals work?

I'm setting up something involving it in a Random New World, where it's basically this small continent populated by Norse dudes that more kinda hew to local "state" leaders more than a government and I wanted to know if that would model it well enough or not.

You just have regular vassals as an elective monarchy

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Too Poetic posted:

You just have regular vassals as an elective monarchy

Oh, I thought there was some kinda mechanic where the vassals voted on who was to be king or something.

Guess not!

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I thought the rule for the religion of a vassal you release is, of their total number of cores (not just the cores you will be releasing), if over 50% of of a religion, the nation will be that religion? In my example below, Iraq has 5 Coptic provinces; its 4 other cultural cores are Sinjar, As-Sahiliyah, Basra, and Kuhzestan, which are all Sunni. Why is Iraq being released as a Sunni nation?

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I assumed it was number of provinces, but maybe it's development?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

It was changed with Cossacks I believe so that released countries maintain their old religion. You'd have to make a Client State if you want a Coptic thing there.

Hey, at least you can just restart immediately!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Depending on what your goal is with that Iraq and how dominant you are in the region, you could just cut north to Armenia at this point and then sell them the provinces down to Basra?

I think?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Oh, I thought there was some kinda mechanic where the vassals voted on who was to be king or something.

Guess not!

Nah, European countries can just lobby to have an heir of their dynasty take the throne instead of the Polish candidate

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tahirovic posted:

I assumed it was number of provinces, but maybe it's development?
I doubt it because the development in the 4 missing provinces is less than the development in the 5 I have that are converted.

FadingChord posted:

Depending on what your goal is with that Iraq and how dominant you are in the region, you could just cut north to Armenia at this point and then sell them the provinces down to Basra?

I think?
I am less dominant than the Ottomans, who own everything outside of Iraq except Basra, Kuhzestan, and the rest of Persia. And I want to feed Persia, who seems incapable of making alliances, to two vassals rather than one (I also have Baluchistan).

YF-23 posted:

It was changed with Cossacks I believe so that released countries maintain their old religion. You'd have to make a Client State if you want a Coptic thing there.
Oh, boo.

YF-23 posted:

Hey, at least you can just restart immediately!
I dont know why I laughed so hard at this, but yes, I restarted. I'm just sad because I would have lost my poo poo if I started the game with a 6 shock general.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

At least you can force them to convert in the vassal menu, now, for +100 liberty desire. Should be manageable with your prestige and power relative to them.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chickpea Roar posted:

At least you can force them to convert in the vassal menu, now, for +100 liberty desire. Should be manageable with your prestige and power relative to them.
Indeed, thank you for reminding me. In this case, it will not matter because, after releasing Sunni Iraq as my vassal, I declared war on Persia and told Iraq to attach their armies to mine. When the Coptic Revolts happened, there was nothing Iraq could do and got converted by rebels. A crying shame...I am a terrible overlord!

I do need to force convert Baluchistan, I think.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
So I am not sure if I should consider this an AI bug or just what but I lost a third long term alliance in this game, because the idiotic AI pirated in my trade nodes and got a huge -100 modifier for it. First France then Russia and now Great Britain. All of them are without major other ally now.
It does make me wonder if the AI put the possible loss of the alliance into the equation or not. Are those couple ducats/month really worth losing your biggest and strongest ally for?

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Chickpea Roar posted:

Pretty sure that interaction is only available for vassals that belong to your own culture group.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

YF-23 posted:

Pretty sure that interaction is only available for vassals that belong to your own culture group.

It's within your religious group, so no, a coptic country can't force-convert a sunni one.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It used to be that way, but now you can convert any religion vassal to your religion. It was changed very recently.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

YF-23 posted:

I just checked with a Japanese Shinto custom nation, and I could convert a native American vassal.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Just took most of Greece and Thrace, along with the provinces surrounding Constantinople, from the Ottomans as Byzantium, around 1460 :toot:

I've got a strong alliance now with Poland-Lithuania, Serbia, and Bosnia. Three of the provinces I took weren't cores yet, so once that's done I'll see about filling up my manpower reserves, then see if I can get my alliance to help me fight another war with the Ottomans. If not then I'll wait for Venice to show weakness and then try to seize their island holdings in the Aegean.

I'm thinking that before I get big enough for Poland/Lithuania/the Commonwealth to start worrying about me, I'll try to vassalise Bosnia and Serbia, they may make for a good march, especially if I can feed them some of Hungary. Then when Poland-Lithuania breaks their alliance with me I'll try to see about allying Muscovy/Russia.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Any good advice for getting Je Maintiendrai (form Netherlands as a Dutch minor)? Originally I thought that Friesland would be a good start because it's a republic, but it made the diplomacy game too hard. Now I think that Holland might actually be the best choice despite being in a PU. I can get France, Austria, and Denmark to support my independence right off the bat, and England as well with a little buttering. Although I kind of want to wait for Philippe to die and leach off his awesome stats.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Getting it with Holland is really easy, for exactly the reasons you mention. You just need to be careful about France taking any of the lowlands provinces.

But basically, get your independence supported by France (and anyone other big guys you can find) and then smash Burgundy.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

So I am not sure if I should consider this an AI bug or just what but I lost a third long term alliance in this game, because the idiotic AI pirated in my trade nodes and got a huge -100 modifier for it. First France then Russia and now Great Britain. All of them are without major other ally now.
It does make me wonder if the AI put the possible loss of the alliance into the equation or not. Are those couple ducats/month really worth losing your biggest and strongest ally for?

So it's just them pirating you and then breaking an alliance, cause said raiding causes the -100 hit? Not, say, your patrols fuckin up their pirates? That is really weird and annoying. It may also be handy for breaking alliances as the player, I guess.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Is there a good reason the AI culture converts accepted cultures?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Odobenidae posted:

I use it sometimes if I'm aggressively feeding a vassal.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

MrBling posted:

Getting it with Holland is really easy, for exactly the reasons you mention. You just need to be careful about France taking any of the lowlands provinces.

But basically, get your independence supported by France (and anyone other big guys you can find) and then smash Burgundy.

Cool, I broke free from Burgundy and managed to snag Antwerpen in the deal. Had to give Bourgogne to France and Franche-Compte to Austria to keep them happy, and I also made the mistake of getting a royal marriage with England only to have them break the alliance immediately. Really should have seen that coming. Now I'm working on eating up the other Dutch minors.

While we're on the subject of the diplomacy game, why is there no easy way to see aggressive expansion? Like, some way to see what your base AE is and how it applies to other nations. Instead I have to mouse around in the map mode to figure anything out. This is something I've wanted since pretty much day 1.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

While we're on the subject of the diplomacy game, why is there no easy way to see aggressive expansion? Like, some way to see what your base AE is and how it applies to other nations. Instead I have to mouse around in the map mode to figure anything out. This is something I've wanted since pretty much day 1.

That's because you don't have a base AE. Every time you "accrue AE", this just applies an opinion malus to other countries but does not change your state at all. If a new country popped into existence it would have 0 AE penalty with you because it wasn't there when you accrued AE.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Fister Roboto posted:

The AE mapmode is probably the worst mapmode given how important it is and how hard it is to get any useful information out of it without mousing around all over the place. The different shades are almost impossible to tell apart when comparing nations that you have an AE penalty with but who haven't joined a coalition yet. I don't know why it isn't a green --> yellow --> orange --> red for coalition thing, that would be way easier than very tiny variations on grayish-pink.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dibujante posted:

That's because you don't have a base AE. Every time you "accrue AE", this just applies an opinion malus to other countries but does not change your state at all. If a new country popped into existence it would have 0 AE penalty with you because it wasn't there when you accrued AE.

There's still got to be a better way to display it. It's frustrating how obtuse this game is with showing you useful information.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Bold Robot posted:

The AE mapmode is probably the worst mapmode given how important it is and how hard it is to get any useful information out of it without mousing around all over the place. The different shades are almost impossible to tell apart when comparing nations that you have an AE penalty with but who haven't joined a coalition yet. I don't know why it isn't a green --> yellow --> orange --> red for coalition thing, that would be way easier than very tiny variations on grayish-pink.
Yeah, seems simply enough to divide. Red for countries that can start a coalition, orange for countries which are likely to join one, and then yellow and green splitting the remaining AE range.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

There's still got to be a better way to display it. It's frustrating how obtuse this game is with showing you useful information.

I'm not sure there's a good way to display it at all :-\

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm not sure what idea to take next as Ethiopia:

I have Religious, Exploration, Econ, Defensive, and Quality (which is so OP with Religious and Econ) all filled out. I was planning on going Offensive next, but my Military is pretty nuts as is and Admin points have been holding me back, so I was thinking of going for Admin instead because of the Coring discount, the merc discounts, and, well, the Production bonus and Admin tech discount.

Iraq and Baluchistan are my vassals; I just fed them a bunch of Persia. I am allied to Austria, Commonwealth, and Westernized Jaunpur. I havent had time/admin points to beat up Songhai. I finally managed to get Pasai to not be allied to the Ottomans so now I am crazy rich from Zanzibar, though I think I need to move my trade capital there because Portugal is siphoning off tons of trade (despite me owning all of The Cape) because of the huge penalty.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah there really should be a ledger page showing you your AE with every country (only showing those where it's larger than 0, obv). That would be really useful

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Allyn posted:

Yeah there really should be a ledger page showing you your AE with every country (only showing those where it's larger than 0, obv). That would be really useful

Yeah, this. And it could possibly also show other opinion modifiers and whether or not they would accept an alliance, vassalisation, royal marriage, etc.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Odobenidae posted:

Mr. Fowl posted:

I use it sometimes if I'm aggressively feeding a vassal.

I'm sort of flabbergasted that there are people who don't use it. What sort of lunatic wants to manually put down rebel stacks?!

Sure, unrest rarely gets as far as actually spawning stacks these days, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm not sure what idea to take next as Ethiopia:

I have Religious, Exploration, Econ, Defensive, and Quality (which is so OP with Religious and Econ) all filled out. I was planning on going Offensive next, but my Military is pretty nuts as is and Admin points have been holding me back, so I was thinking of going for Admin instead because of the Coring discount, the merc discounts, and, well, the Production bonus and Admin tech discount.

Iraq and Baluchistan are my vassals; I just fed them a bunch of Persia. I am allied to Austria, Commonwealth, and Westernized Jaunpur. I havent had time/admin points to beat up Songhai. I finally managed to get Pasai to not be allied to the Ottomans so now I am crazy rich from Zanzibar, though I think I need to move my trade capital there because Portugal is siphoning off tons of trade (despite me owning all of The Cape) because of the huge penalty.

You've already hosed the Ottomans bad, so I'd say going Admin is a good idea for the point you're on, with the caveat that you should make an effort to liberate the City before the Spaniards can.

For trade you might want to consider holding off from major actions for now, it might be more worth it to move your trade node to Constantinople when you get access to that and start pulling trade up uP UP.

• Locked thread