Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Poison Mushroom posted:

I'm just saying that art doesn't have to be timeless or have universal appeal to be good. If it did, then satire would by definition never be good.

Good satire can be timeless. Rabelais and Swift still hold up really, really well with A Modest Proposal remaining one on the finest satirical works in existence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

CCKeane posted:

Good satire can be timeless. Rabelais and Swift still hold up really, really well with A Modest Proposal remaining one on the finest satirical works in existence.
For a second, I thought you were Ecco and I was very surprised, and then I realized you were Keane and your concise, solid, and logical rebuttal made a lot more sense.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
My favorite satire is 9/11

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

CCKeane posted:

A Modest Proposal is possibly my favorite work of writing ever

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Surprisingly, a shock video was one of the better satires of the coverage of 9/11.

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien

Spiros posted:

A Modest Proposal is possibly my favorite work of writing ever

Cadide is also real good

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MG2 posted:

Cadide is also real good

IF A LITTLE HALF ASSED HO HO HO.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Candide and A Modest Proposal both own a lot

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Pfff reading things is for nerds.

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now
update my computer did not fall asleep OR hibernate :mad:

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Little Mac posted:

Candide and A Modest Proposal both own a lot

Have you read any Rabelais? He isn't as popular as Swift or Voltaire, but if you like satire he's very good. CHECK IT OUT! *dons sunglasses, kickflips, freeze frames, READING IS COOL pops up in the sky*

MG2
Jan 30, 2016

by LadyAmbien
My favorite satirist is the marquis de Sade

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

MG2 posted:

My favorite satirist is the marquis de Sade

As a satirist he is okay, as a life coach he is phenomenal.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Max posted:

Typical Jersey buffoonery.

Typical Philly assumptions :smuggo:

:ssh: i'm not actually from jersey

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I'm not really from Philly. I just live there because my wife is going to Temple U. I hate it here.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
:hfive:

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's a really good city for beer though, if you're into that.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yes and no. The microbrew scene is pretty nice, but the hosed up blue laws make beer pretty expensive here. Most things cost double what they would in any other state.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

And we moved from Iowa, which have the most relaxed alcohol laws in the union, probably.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah the blue laws are awful but you've got some of the best beer bars in the world. Depends on if you're into drinking out and about or at home.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
Happy Birthday Capps

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

Also, have I told you all about the glories of anime? It's really good art, if you think about it. Watch more anime. In honor of the day, I recommend the greatest epic of all time: the Legend of Galactic Heroes.

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I liked level e.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

imgay posted:

I liked level e.

nice

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Max posted:

Yes and no. The microbrew scene is pretty nice, but the hosed up blue laws make beer pretty expensive here. Most things cost double what they would in any other state.

What's the price for a good microbrew 6 pack/ a pint at a bar?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

6 packs of microbrews are nearly impossible to come by. You'd likely have to buy 6 individual beers at a bottle shop, which will end up running you something like 24 if it's good stuff.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Max posted:

6 packs of microbrews are nearly impossible to come by. You'd likely have to buy 6 individual beers at a bottle shop, which will end up running you something like 24 if it's good stuff.

drat, that's worse than manhattan prices.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yeah. Generally, I'll just buy stuff that is more widely available since actual 6-packs of beer will run around 10 - 15 bucks, which is vastly more affordable and doesn't destroy my bank account.

Or we just head over to the state run liquor store since things are priced reasonably and we like wine.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

Max posted:

Yeah. Generally, I'll just buy stuff that is more widely available since actual 6-packs of beer will run around 10 - 15 bucks, which is vastly more affordable and doesn't destroy my bank account.

Or we just head over to the state run liquor store since things are priced reasonably and we like wine.

We all know you like to whine HEH HEH HEH

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
RIP Poison Mushroom, you gave your life to bait out an Outsider so that Asiina could bravely charge it down and stun it in the face :patriot:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

CCKeane posted:

We all know you like to whine HEH HEH HEH

I'm sorry, I couldn't hear you over the fact that I beat your stupid face in our last Mafia match.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Any mafiosos playing Heroes of the Storm? I am liking it more than League right now.

More Moba Chat in Mafia Thread

(More Moba Mhat min Mafia Mhread)

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Quidnose posted:

Any mafiosos playing Heroes of the Storm? I am liking it more than League right now.

More Moba Chat in Mafia Thread

(More Moba Mhat min Mafia Mhread)

I like to play as Abathur because it lets me do nothing during the match and still feel like I contributed.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Finally got a whole load of Captain rank soldiers kitted out with laser guns and carapace armour. It's all smooth sailing from here :getin:

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I've actually been playing more League lately. It's far more fun to play alone than Dota for some reason.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

BottleKnight posted:

I've actually been playing more League lately. It's far more fun to play alone than Dota for some reason.

Could it be the more forgiving learning curve or the queue system that takes half of the cancer out of the game?

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Spiros posted:

Could it be the more forgiving learning curve or the queue system that takes half of the cancer out of the game?

the new queue system has really does wonders for the attitudes in game it's stellar

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Kashuno posted:

the new queue system has really does wonders for the attitudes in game it's stellar

Yeah I never thought I'd go back to League, but the new champ select is great and solves so many problems.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Hey, guys, it has nothing to do with Mafia (as far as you know :tinfoil:) but I'm running a CYOA. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764459

It's best described as "Weird West in Space" or, alternatively "Deadlands Meets Firefly".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imgay
May 12, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Me and Jake are the best hots players on SA