Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Usenet Magic-User posted:

Are we getting a team speak or slack or some other lovely goon drama generator in place for cbt2?

Discord is clearly the supreme choice, considering it is already generating goon drama, without any need for goons to actually play the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010

Lt. Lizard posted:

Discord is clearly the supreme choice, considering it is already generating goon drama, without any need for goons to actually play the game.

Yeah I definitely agree, I just hate it - but for content generation you are right, there is no arguing this is the best choice. Without trading and other modes of fuckery goons are gonna have to try really hard here to find good ways to gently caress themselves and each other.

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Okcupid has a pretty good chat system

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The OP says that Witch won't be in on launch for the NA/EU launch, but the official game website lists "Wizard/Witch" under its classes, which would indicate they expect it to be available.

Is there any source on Witch not being available?

Also, got my key. Probably not gonna run with the Wu Goon Clan, but should still be fun.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Everything I read is that witch is going to be in the US release. No reason why it shouldn't wizard and witch are both the same classes.

vvv
its right there in the preorder page

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Feb 15, 2016

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Witch will?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

This post is something awful.

Godmode Enabled
Jul 14, 2013

I AM A BETAGOON, ASK ME ABOUT PROPER GRIEF TO CASH RATIOS.

kalstrams posted:

This post is something awful.

:v: .....

Timer. Till Beta
http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/launch?iso=20160218T08&p0=989&msg=Black+Desert+online+CBT2&font=cursive

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks a lot like the deadline to complete bulk of studies.

:v:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Discord is really cool, but I don't know if it'd fit your guys' needs when 80-100 people are connected to the VOIP

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Discord is really cool, but I don't know if it'd fit your guys' needs when 80-100 people are connected to the VOIP
Is it known to fold under modicum of stress? Besides that, thus far 80-100 people connected to VoIP do seem like a really optimistic prediction.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

I've been in Discord stress tests with 3000-4000 on the same server, and a couple hundred in the same voice channel, it holds up fine. Right now there are about 400 goons registered on mine and the server doesn't have any lag that anyone has reported.

I have a Black Desert channel set up on my SA Discord ( http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3759565 )

And I'll give whoever runs the guild server admin or moderator or whatever they want to make more channels and do the things.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
haha

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

That didn't take long.

Conversely I can set up a dedicated Black Desert Discord with all the permissions and pingbots and everything if that is what you would prefer. :toot:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Guild splinters? Heh, we have VOIP splinters.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Kimsemus posted:

Conversely I can set up a dedicated Black Desert Discord with all the permissions and pingbots and everything if that is what you would prefer. :toot:
That would lessen the drama potential though, 400 innocents come handy in this regard. :v:

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.
Anyone got a spare beta key? Looking forward to roadside bomb antics

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Buy 1 get 1 bottle of Lysol FREE!

Werkwerk posted:

Anyone got a spare beta key? Looking forward to roadside bomb antics

pm me if you still need one.

Also, I love that :eonwe: is the new :siren:

vrath fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Feb 15, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my thinking on this

each VOIP solution has its own guilds and guild splinters

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Kimsemus posted:

That didn't take long.

I still have no idea what the issue is but I will sign on this new discord.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just use the SA discord and tune out the shirt nonsense, I'd rather have an active community that's already entirely moderated/set up than deal with these permissions and struggle through getting people in for this specific game on this specific server.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Wait, the issue is shirts and not some paedophile's Siamese twin who is also a motorcycle being moderator or something?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

shirts, a program that doesn't do much more than what we have now except it is hip and cool, some weird promotion of the program with its own hype team

like anyone can go set up a discord server. You can do it right now if you want. There isn't a whole lot of reason to have one super discord server with everything under the sun under it but some people want that and keep talking about how so many goons are either registered, on it right now, or using it, like some weird hype use my stuff squad

it makes people wonder how balanced those hype people are

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Third World Reggin posted:

shirts, a program that doesn't do much more than what we have now except it is hip and cool, some weird promotion of the program with its own hype team

like anyone can go set up a discord server. You can do it right now if you want. There isn't a whole lot of reason to have one super discord server with everything under the sun under it but some people want that and keep talking about how so many goons are either registered, on it right now, or using it, like some weird hype use my stuff squad

it makes people wonder how balanced those hype people are

You keep (literally) making stuff up about this hype squad promotion thing that I've never participated in and frankly, our community will never be large enough to participate in. The people shilling out for Discord's free poo poo have like 5000-6000 people on a server. That aside, Discord can actually do significantly more now and long term compared to mumble, and can do it far cheaper than either mumble or TS. There are reasons to use it, and I'll keep updating it and doing stuff with it, especially once the API is released and I don't have to rely on serverbots to automate a lot of things.

Your criticism of a thing that I'm trying to provide as a convenience for people at the cost of nothing more than my own time, and certainly at no cost to anyone else, is a little silly.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

While I couldn't care less about the shirt thing, I'll agree on the rest with Third World Reggin that neither will consolidation do any significant good to BDO guild as such, nor does it bring anything radically new to the table, beyond, I guess, synchronised chat logging and streamlined access from mobile, to give Discord it's due. Not sure if either will be used, as this is not shaping up as new EVE and we've got at least two subforums worth of shitposting potential.

Still, we need to decide on something, hopefully before the closed beta comes around.

I'm already afraid to play with you, guys.

cinci zoo sniper fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Feb 15, 2016

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Ruggan, you in man? Lics and I are going in on this one it looks like.

Yeah planning on it. We will see how it pans out. Still trying to snag a key but one way or another I'll see you both in there.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Kimsemus posted:

You keep (literally) making stuff up about this hype squad promotion thing that I've never participated in and frankly, our community will never be large enough to participate in. The people shilling out for Discord's free poo poo have like 5000-6000 people on a server. That aside, Discord can actually do significantly more now and long term compared to mumble, and can do it far cheaper than either mumble or TS. There are reasons to use it, and I'll keep updating it and doing stuff with it, especially once the API is released and I don't have to rely on serverbots to automate a lot of things.

Your criticism of a thing that I'm trying to provide as a convenience for people at the cost of nothing more than my own time, and certainly at no cost to anyone else, is a little silly.

which part was made up

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i survived the VOIP wars of 2016

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I like discord because it works, it's free, it has chat, it has logging, it has serviceable VOIP and it's really convenient if you're playing multiple games on that Discord server since you have direct messaging with file sharing.

When the APIs start coming out, it'll be sweet for authentication and stuff. Not to mention you can run it in the Steam overlay if you really want to.

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Third World Reggin posted:

which part was made up

I believe he's referring to what he sees as you {or others} insinuating that he has ulterior motives for providing administration/support for a discord.

As far as big goon discord/mumble or new server gate goes, I'm pretty divided. On one side, being in the big server means we're a more visible active group, at least for the first 48. On the other side, the less people you have involved in something, the less chance that it will devolve into a goat gently caress.

e: Hmmm....putting it like that I believe both of those are a plus for using the big server.

vrath fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Feb 15, 2016

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

haha no

we never said kinsemus had other motives

badr/thempus thales, the guy who sold goon guild shirts in a very weird manner for secret world and tried to hype up discord, is what we are talking about

If someone asks "is shirts a reason" I will respond with shorthand, yah, shirts.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

I like discord because it works, it's free, it has chat, it has logging, it has serviceable VOIP and it's really convenient if you're playing multiple games on that Discord server since you have direct messaging with file sharing.

When the APIs start coming out, it'll be sweet for authentication and stuff. Not to mention you can run it in the Steam overlay if you really want to.

How often do you need to share files that you can't use googledocs or something instead for? How many times have you paid for mumble use for goons? Why the gently caress do we need authentication for anything?

Like, I don't care what kimsemus' intentions are because they don't matter to me. What matters is I have a thing that already works perfectly fine and does everything I want it to do and suddenly almost everywhere I look it's "new voip! come join us!" poo poo that I don't care about.

If you want to use discord cool, use discord. I'm going to use mumble until I can't anymore, and then I'll think about switching. Put both of them in the OP and then shut the gently caress up about it.

vrath posted:

e: Hmmm....putting it like that I believe both of those are a plus for using the big server.

You mean CTS, the giant mumble server we've been using for years? Oh but mumble is the one splitting the community I guess.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
kim says the shilling is dead, cool. but he keeps the weird social media creeper guy around because... he's good at writing dumb chat bot API garbage? gathering space game clams? other than that discord is good, but i dont think it matters if you use the SUPER GOON FANCLUB COMMUNMITY DISCORD or something you mash together on your own

lol if you still care about SPIEZ IN MY GOON GUILD though. i remember when i cared and forced people to go through badr's stupid forum hoops, special papaerwork and whatnot. gently caress me that was the worst thing i had a hand in. never again

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
VOIP wars only prove that the mmo scene is stagnant, we don't even have enough game to fight over or disagree with Kimsemus on or whatever. Maybe we just evolved past needing a game

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

VOIP wars only prove that the mmo scene is stagnant, we don't even have enough game to fight over or disagree with Kimsemus on or whatever. Maybe we just evolved past needing a game

this is the game, friend. wecome

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

That was dangerously close to seriousposting, but I also made a black witch to not play on thursday due to the servers getting slammed like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7qz9WqkY24&t=64s

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
At the end of the day I'll use whatever people say we should use, I just feel like if we're gonna play together ( inb4 the great VOIP wars that tear the game asunder) we should use the same comms. I'm not going to push Discord on anyone, if people decide to use it, this is fine and good, if not, I will use the thing other people want to use, just presenting Discord as an option, yo.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

That was dangerously close to seriousposting, but I also made a black witch to not play on thursday due to the servers getting slammed like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7qz9WqkY24&t=64s

gently caress it, friend. serious post erryday. the push to form some mega mmo goon community is dumb. authentication is idiot poo poo for people who want to lord internet power over others

vrath
Jul 6, 2015

Blazing Zero posted:

lol if you still care about SPIEZ IN MY GOON GUILD though. i remember when i cared and forced people to go through badr's stupid forum hoops, special papaerwork and whatnot. gently caress me that was the worst thing i had a hand in. never again

As someone who has joined in the past year, I think that SA clans draw a certain type of person, and the culture of the people who game here defends itself from intrusion by its very nature. It's more likely that someone spais to just cause drama then joins in order to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

vrath posted:

As someone who has joined in the past year, I think that SA clans draw a certain type of person, and the culture of the people who game here defends itself from intrusion by its very nature. It's more likely that someone spais to just cause drama then joins in order to do so.

what do you mean, you people