Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Clap man punk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Aesop Poprock posted:

CM Punk would lose against an angry straight edge hardcore guy in an 80s DC pit in like 10 seconds

CM Punk Vs. Henry Rollins

I'd pay to see that. Double if it was early 90's gymrat Henry Rollins

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

when I grow up I want to be as strong cool and handsom as my main man Cheese Man Punk

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Chromatic posted:

CM Punk Vs. Henry Rollins

I'd pay to see that. Double if it was early 90's gymrat Henry Rollins

He'd have to dress up like in the video for Liar.

Edit: Apparently he kept the costume.

BGrifter fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 15, 2016

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Chokes McGee posted:

Counterpoint:

(that will never stop being funny, ever)

Butterbean was all "you know I'll lose the fight if you want?" and Vince was all "NO I'M VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON drat IT AND BRAWL FOR ALL IS A SACRED INSTITUTION THAT WILL NOT BE SOILED BY PREDETERMINED OUTCOMES!" and then the untrained boxer got beaten by the strong fat man and Vince buried the ever loving poo poo out of him for it because he's an insane old man even when he was less old.

What I'm saying is wrestling is cool as hell.

super macho dude
Aug 9, 2014

I stand with Chick Magnet Punk and cant wait for the big swerve when CM Venom jumps into the octagon and levels both fighters with a chair shot.

BlueArmyMan
Mar 30, 2007
Hooloovoo

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Butterbean was all "you know I'll lose the fight if you want?" and Vince was all "NO I'M VINCENT KENNEDY MCMAHON drat IT AND BRAWL FOR ALL IS A SACRED INSTITUTION THAT WILL NOT BE SOILED BY PREDETERMINED OUTCOMES!" and then the untrained boxer got beaten by the strong fat man and Vince buried the ever loving poo poo out of him for it because he's an insane old man even when he was less old.

What I'm saying is wrestling is cool as hell.

Close; the Butterbean fight, and subsequent knockout, was a punishment for Bart knocking out Steve Williams earlier in the tournament.

Sotar
Dec 1, 2009

BlueArmyMan posted:

Close; the Butterbean fight, and subsequent knockout, was a punishment for Bart knocking out Steve Williams earlier in the tournament.

I just wish that the near impossible happened, and Bart Gunn won that fight.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Sotar posted:

I just wish that the near impossible happened, and Bart Gunn won that fight.

Vince immediately books him into a shoot-MMA match with Ken Shamrock.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Actually last I heard a lot of upper management expected Bart Gunn to win.

https://youtu.be/h4Q21HTJ5x4

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I remember seeing Butterbean KO Bart Gunn when I was young and it might have been the first time I ever saw a dude get straight KO'd and understand what was happening enough to realise that Gunn wasn't okay so I thought Butterbean had killed him.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

It makes a certain amount of sense that wrestlers are such tough guy fetishists that their self-delusion sometimes gets the better of them and they book shoots thinking they still have control of the outcome. Brawl for All was not the last time stuff like this would happen.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

It makes a certain amount of sense that wrestlers are such tough guy fetishists that their self-delusion sometimes gets the better of them and they book shoots thinking they still have control of the outcome. Brawl for All was not the last time stuff like this would happen.

So what else had stuff like this happen?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

When MMA was just starting to get big in Japan, New Japan (under Inoki's advisement) had crossovers between MMA and wrestling. Inoki thought some big up-and-coming names in their company would be bigger if they were also good at MMA, so they had fights, both arranged by the company on their shows and elsewhere.

The most famous example was Yuji Nagata. 2001, he was in the perfect position to be their star. Everything they wanted. Everything Inoki wanted. About to be New Japan champ. And he wanted to show his prize to the world.

So he did a special event (Bom-Be-Ye). Nagata, with no legit experience to speak of, Inoki thought was capable of beating Cro Cop, who was in his prime.

Needless to say, quick and embarrassing, and the company responded by instead giving their belt to a former sumo wrestler (Tadao Yusuda) who submitted a K-1 guy (Jerome Le Banner) on the same show.

It happened to at least a couple other people, but wasn't as embarrassing (off the top of my head, Nakamura lost his MMA debut to a Gracie but won 2 or 3 more fights after, and Sasaki did alright)

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Chris James 2 posted:

When MMA was just starting to get big in Japan, New Japan (under Inoki's advisement) had crossovers between MMA and wrestling. Inoki thought some big up-and-coming names in their company would be bigger if they were also good at MMA, so they had fights, both arranged by the company on their shows and elsewhere.

The most famous example was Yuji Nagata. 2001, he was in the perfect position to be their star. Everything they wanted. Everything Inoki wanted. About to be New Japan champ. And he wanted to show his prize to the world.

So he did a special event (Bom-Be-Ye). Nagata, with no legit experience to speak of, Inoki thought was capable of beating Cro Cop, who was in his prime.

Needless to say, quick and embarrassing, and the company responded by instead giving their belt to a former sumo wrestler (Tadao Yusuda) who submitted a K-1 guy (Jerome Le Banner) on the same show.

It happened to at least a couple other people, but wasn't as embarrassing (off the top of my head, Nakamura lost his MMA debut to a Gracie but won 2 or 3 more fights after, and Sasaki did alright)

Pretty good stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Il66HYPgo3g

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Josh Barnett said Nakamura had one of the quickest double legs he's ever seen. I wrote about Shinsuke's MMA career here

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/before-the-swag-chronicling-shinsuke-nakamuras-mma-history/

Also if you want to feel super sad, watch Alexey Ignashov vs Dr Death

Because why not put a wrestler vs a really good kickboxer?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Huh, never knew Nakamura had fought in MMA.
He did pretty well for himself too. Cool stuff.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

LobsterMobster posted:

Josh Barnett said Nakamura had one of the quickest double legs he's ever seen. I wrote about Shinsuke's MMA career here

http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/before-the-swag-chronicling-shinsuke-nakamuras-mma-history/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS7V5KJoF1c

wow

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

That was like right when he had cancer too!

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

LobsterMobster posted:

Didn't think I'd see a Flair Flop in the WSOF from 2013, but here we are.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RZApublican posted:

Vince immediately books him into a shoot-MMA match with Ken Shamrock.

UFC made a serious mistake not booking Shamrock vs. Punk for his debut. It's a fight Punk could actually possibly win after Shamrock dives in like 20 seconds

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Herr Tog posted:

WCW signed Tank Abbott partly because he was a tough shoot fighting guy

One impromptu beard shaving when they were building him up later it kinda went awry

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Cro Cop also destroyed Alberto Del Rio (in a luchador mask) in Pride's 1st Bushido event because Pride loving loved padding records with ridiculous squash matches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHG6LjtsxJM

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Herr Tog posted:

Well, there was the time WWE tried to haze a bunch of rookies on television by putting them in shoot grappling matches with Kurt Angle (who has a legit Olympic gold in freestyle wrestling). Unfortunately, what they don't teach you in freestyle wrestling is how to defend a kimura, and one of the young guys was a trained MMA guy (which WWE knew and promoted up front before deciding that this would be a good idea). Fortunately for Angle, the ref counted a very quick pin count to get him out of there, because god only knows that you're going to get a Gracie to tap before he does, and WWE were about ten seconds away from having one of their top guys on the shelf for three months because you thought it'd be super funny to do a stupid segment that nobody watched or cared about.

Later on Chris Benoit, Eddie Guerrero and Bob Holly pretty much beat the poo poo out of the dude on pay-per-view for having the temerity to defend himself in a fight he didn't ask for, and so the integrity and honor of professional wrestling was duly restored.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Also, talking of Antonio Inoki, there's also the legendary Inoki vs Muhammed Ali match, where Ali's camp, rather than do a worked match, decided to make a set of (secret) rules that forbade Inoki from basically doing anything that might be classed as wrestling.

Inoki, being someone who is not an idiot, instead decided to lay on his back and kick Ali in the legs. To a 15-round draw. While the Japanese fans threw garbage and chanted for their money back. Ali was left with permanent damage that may well have shortened his career.

He did, however, wear two gloves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muhammad_Ali_vs._Antonio_Inoki

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO5bJ6J5bIY

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

It was also nearly a financial disaster for Vince Sr., who promoted it in New York with a closed-circuit broadcast in Shea Stadium. Problem was nobody in America knew who Inoki was so tickets weren't selling like he thought. Everyone went to see the André the Giant match that he put on as the semi-main.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Loving this poo poo. Wrestling is so insecure and petty

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

It was also nearly a financial disaster for Vince Sr., who promoted it in New York with a closed-circuit broadcast in Shea Stadium. Problem was nobody in America knew who Inoki was so tickets weren't selling like he thought. Everyone went to see the André the Giant match that he put on as the semi-main.

i remember jim ross saying he took out loans and lost a bunch of money investing in this

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
To be fair I'm pretty sure a kimura lock is illegal in amateur wrestling

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Hace posted:

To be fair I'm pretty sure a kimura lock is illegal in amateur wrestling

It is.

Either Dave or mark schultz got dq'ed at a major tournament (probably the Olympics) for breaking a Turkish guy's arm with a kimura. The tournament was double elimination, and the Turk was the best wrestler there, so schultz ending up winning gold

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Mark I guess

https://youtu.be/mhTqKePonjg

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
My favourite Wrestler Vs trained fighter match was when Jushin Thunder Liger opened with a somersault kick and immediately got the gently caress knocked out of him.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

my favorite orympic wrestling anecodtes are that chokes weren't technically illegal either, so Dave caught all his oppnents in a headhpock, reduced them to unconsciousness, and then pinned them.

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

fatherdog posted:

my favorite orympic wrestling anecodtes are that chokes weren't technically illegal either, so Dave caught all his oppnents in a headhpock, reduced them to unconsciousness, and then pinned them.

i couldn't believe it hughes pulled that off against almeida, gotta be up there with the best subs of all time

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

fatherdog posted:

nah I mean he got cautioned about it in his gold medal match. Then the other dude rolled around on the mat for what seems like hours holding his throat

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
My favourite bit of MMA crossover is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcGjmRXA0xc

Shinya Aoki gets a proper taste of karmic retribution in that one.

It is MMA vs Kickboxing and they alternating rules in the rounds, so Aoki spends the first round (kickboxing rules) just acting like an idiot, breaking rules and generally avoiding contact trying to get to round 2 and the mma rules.. Then in round 2 Jienotsu knees him in the head immediately and knocks him out.

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
What are the chances CM Punk actually wins his first fight?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

RagingHematoma posted:

Since he has to actually have a fight to win it, zero.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

RagingHematoma posted:

They would have to find a wheelchair accessible octagon to get an opponent CM Punk could realistically beat in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
CM Punk will be UFC Intercontinental Champion by this time next year.

• Locked thread