Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
Witcher 3 isn't even as good as Witcher 2, and it falls into almost the exact same problems that goons grill Bioware games over. The story is better structured, but the characters are so loving uggghhhhhh... By the time Witcher 3 rolled around, the character writing had become so one-note and awful that I immediately knew every loving thing they were gonna do (Betrayal? What a shock!) They even sacrificed otherwise good character development (Djikstra) for the sake of being needlessly edgy.
It thinks it's smarter than its audience, when it really isn't. It's the same reason I like KotOR 1 and hate KotOR 2.

Beefstew fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Feb 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Beefstew posted:

Witcher 3 isn't even as good as Witcher 2.

I wish you a speedy recovery from the massive stroke you've obviously suffered.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Not to derail too much, but that kind of opinion fairly depends on how much you're into open-world games. It's hard to argue that W2 had the better story (because come on, Bloody loving Baron) but it's relatively easy to propose the point that W3 got bogged down pretty badly in its open-world mechanics if you engaged them fully. I personally almost burned out at several points hunting down those question marks, for one.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Not to derail too much, but that kind of opinion fairly depends on how much you're into open-world games. It's hard to argue that W2 had the better story (because come on, Bloody loving Baron) but it's relatively easy to propose the point that W3 got bogged down pretty badly in its open-world mechanics if you engaged them fully.

Yes, this is a big part of it. I think open-world stuff just bogs games down and dilutes level design. Just look at the consistent downward spiral of the Arkham games. This was a big problem I had with Inquisition, too. But in that game, I at least had likable characters chiming in now and then to break up the monotony.
Witcher 2 had a really inspired story and Geralt's arc was compelling. Letho is one of the best antagonists in RPG history. Witcher 3 was all just centered around the big, inevitable battle with the Wild Hunt, who totally lost all the mystique they had in the first two games and basically turned into orcs, rhetorically speaking.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Witcher 3 wasn't perfect but :lol: at comparing it unfavourably with any of Bioware's kill the puppy/save the puppy efforts, especially when that effort is focused around taking the star wars extended universe seriously.

I mean come on 'what if the force is evil for starting all these wars that we made up to sell more toys?' is not insightful.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Strategic Tea posted:

I mean come on 'what if the force is evil for starting all these wars that we made up to sell more toys?' is not insightful.

Yep. That's KotOR 2. A stupid game that wasn't made by Bioware.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Good. It's either target him or the Tali sweat boys

They're the same people. Just different levels of creepy.

Neither are interested in the gameplay or story or themes, it's all about friendship simulator bullshit and catchphrases.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lt. Danger posted:

something something patrick weekes jessica alba post

God, I dislike Patrick Weekes.

Was he the guy who wanted to make the asari mother squadmate responsible for the sinking of the Spanish armada?

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

sassassin posted:

Was he the guy who wanted to make the asari mother squadmate responsible for the sinking of the Spanish armada?

Maybe, but he's also the guy who wrote Mordin, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and the Tuchanka arc in ME3. So, like, the best stuff in the trilogy.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

sassassin posted:

Samara was also implied to be Shakespeare's "Dark Lady" in that cut dossier entry

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
I don't think there's a story that attracts more criticism from people who only read a summary of it on GameFAQs by XxX_Dark_Lord_Sephiroth_XxX, than the excellent KotOR2.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Beefstew posted:

Maybe, but he's also the guy who wrote Mordin, Lair of the Shadow Broker, and the Tuchanka arc in ME3. So, like, the best stuff in the trilogy.

Also Solas in DAI.

However he also has some bad opinions and he's generally quite whiny and defensive as a person

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Shadow Broker was poo poo. The Shadow Broker is a weird alien species we never see again? Great. Liara gets a boyfriend we never see again? Fantastic. Oh, most of the story happened in a comic book? Cheers.

It was the point where encounter design became full wave-based mindless nonsense, too. Enter room, kill air-dropped grunts x 3, move on to next room. Garbage.

You can cut ME2 Liara from the narrative completely and it all makes more sense, since she returns to being innocent ME1 scientist Liara in ME3 in every practical sense.

Tuchanka was boring poo poo right up until the final sequence, which is admittedly great for the voice acting performances and the range of outcomes available.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Enhanced edition of LotSB released with not-Chambers as the Shadow Broker (boss fight intact). She lives and joins your crew ready for all the actual information gathering she does in the ME3.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

sassassin posted:

Shadow Broker was poo poo. The Shadow Broker is a weird alien species we never see again? Great. Liara gets a boyfriend we never see again? Fantastic. Oh, most of the story happened in a comic book? Cheers.

It was the point where encounter design became full wave-based mindless nonsense, too. Enter room, kill air-dropped grunts x 3, move on to next room. Garbage.

You can cut ME2 Liara from the narrative completely and it all makes more sense, since she returns to being innocent ME1 scientist Liara in ME3 in every practical sense.

Yeah but spectreing it up having car chases and shootouts and being space james bond was always the best stuff in the series for me, with just a dash of horrible ancient secrets to keep things ticking over.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dan Didio posted:

I don't think there's a story that attracts more criticism from people who only read a summary of it on GameFAQs by XxX_Dark_Lord_Sephiroth_XxX, than the excellent KotOR2.

It doesn't even make sense, it's fiction, so by necessity the wars are made up by the writer.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
DA:I stank. It has the blandest cast in any Bioware RPG by a pretty good margin.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah but spectreing it up having car chases and shootouts and being space james bond was always the best stuff in the series for me, with just a dash of horrible ancient secrets to keep things ticking over.

There's two minutes of that at the start and then it's a lot of tedious filler fights and shooting one (1) hostage.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

I've played through KotOR II several times trying to convince myself it's good.
It didn't work.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Then how come you don't understand the story? Granted it's a jumbled mess at the end, but you got basic plot points wrong

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I'm just never gonna understand playing through a game I don't like several times. Whatever floats your boat.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Beefstew posted:

I've played through KotOR II several times trying to convince myself it's good.
It didn't work.

That's a really weird thing to do in the first place, but haha that you completely wasted your time on top of that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Playing video games you hate is the modern day version of self-flaggelation.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

Then how come you don't understand the story? Granted it's a jumbled mess at the end, but you got basic plot points wrong

Such as?
I get it. It's just a turgid, operatic shitpile.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

sassassin posted:

I remember how throughout ME1 and 2 there's this idea that the Broker is an AI or something (what else could monitor all that info?) - and then they're not.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Beefstew posted:

Such as?
I get it. It's just a turgid, operatic shitpile.

The story of KotOR2 isn't 'the force is bad for starting all these wars' or even 'the force is bad', hope this helps when you next spend twenty hours 'playing' it.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

Dan Didio posted:

The story of KotOR2 isn't 'the force is bad for starting all these wars' or even 'the force is bad', hope this helps when you next spend twenty hours 'playing' it.

That's literally Kreia's entire ideology, which the game spends the entire time loving fellating and consistently contriving plots devices to validate. I can't even conceive how you ignored this.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Beefstew posted:

That's literally Kreia's entire ideology, which the game spends the entire time loving fellating and consistently contriving plots devices to validate. I can't even conceive how you ignored this.

No, it isn't, Kreia's ideology is not at all that the force is bad because it causes wars. Her idea is that the force has failed, because in its current state it forces people into two opposing paradigms, and limits expression and choice.

You are quite free to prove her wrong, and to argue with her, and the game never 'fellates' her. Which plot devices does it 'contrive' to validate her?

Kreia spends most of the game 'fellating' the player character, in fact, because the Exile is so darned special.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Feb 15, 2016

Greaseman
Aug 12, 2007
Does anyone have those "mental diaries of Javik in a synthesized galaxy" saved? I must read them again.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Beefstew posted:

If you believe this, you ignored pretty much the entire ending and all of it's buildup. So either you played Kotor II several times through only to quit playing at the battle of Telos, in which case holy poo poo dude, stop wasting your time, or you are incredibly dense.

Yes, the game's ending was unfinished, but you're ignoring pretty much every bit of characterization both Kreia and the Exile got if you think the game was fellating her.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Kreia is the villian of the game, how can you think the game supports her?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

CharlestheHammer posted:

Kreia is the villian of the game, how can you think the game supports her?

well, the Catalyst was the villain of ME3, and

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

Yeah but you actually fight her. Instead of capitulating immediately.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

To put it as bluntly as possible: Kreia thinks the Force is an rear end in a top hat.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

Unlike ME3, none of the endings in KotOR2 involve you agreeing with Kreia and making her plans happen.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Dan Didio posted:

Unlike ME3, none of the endings in KotOR2 involve you agreeing with Kreia and making her plans happen.

sounds like the ends ... are Good

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've never played KOTOR or Jade Empire. JE is better, right?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

They're pretty different. They both have problems. Jade Empire's probably the more interesting game, though.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
*extremely Tina Belcher voice* uhhhhhhhhh

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/02/15/mass-effect-andromeda-lead-writer-leaves-bioware-to-join-bungie.aspx

although who knows, maybe the game's writing is finished or close enough now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Pattonesque posted:

sounds like the ends ... are Good

Well, it's still pretty bad, but because of budget cuts making events less coherent, but the basic idea is still there. It's not completely built on a foundation a cracked, uneven foundation of complete bullshit like ME3 because there was a clear plan behind it, even if it didn't work out. Though we will not speak of what the crappy books did to the characters after the game.

Waltzing Along posted:

I'd say KOTOR is better because JE seems like about half of the game was lost. They were clearly planning to make a big series out of it, but the original Mass Effect put it on hold and it's basically stillborn.

Pattonesque posted:

*extremely Tina Belcher voice* uhhhhhhhhh

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2016/02/15/mass-effect-andromeda-lead-writer-leaves-bioware-to-join-bungie.aspx

although who knows, maybe the game's writing is finished or close enough now?

Well, this is not a good sign. Not completely unrecoverable this early in the new series, but still not good.

• Locked thread