Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
Legend went 'round among the railway apprentices that if you worked for Tooheys, you got a free case of beer at Christmas.

A free case of Tooheys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Frogmanv2 posted:

Paid the workers in beer.

Tell that to a big enough group of aussies, and we would have our own set of pyramids faster than you can say "Krakatinni"
Not sure the sides would be square and the same length.*

*Based on renovations performed by a previous owner under this regime.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
"Correct. To look after them. And we need stolen generations.

"There are a whole heap of kids going before the courts now, or their families, mums going before the courts, and dads who are on top of the world with drugs or alcohol, and suddenly they go back into an environment where children are brought up in those circumstances,"

"Those children, for their own benefit, should be taken away.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Ciobo has been trade minister for literally one loving day, and he's on Q'nA, I am gonna watch

I can't even picture the panic at DFAT briefing the motherfucker

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

This is so hard, they'll only talk about Politocal Correctness Gone Wild, I just want to see Ciobo go crosseyed and poo poo his pants when he hears the initials TPP

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Lid posted:

"Correct. To look after them. And we need stolen generations.

"There are a whole heap of kids going before the courts now, or their families, mums going before the courts, and dads who are on top of the world with drugs or alcohol, and suddenly they go back into an environment where children are brought up in those circumstances,"

"Those children, for their own benefit, should be taken away.

at least they're acknowledging the stolen generations were a thing :smith:

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

The Peccadillo posted:

This is so hard, they'll only talk about Politocal Correctness Gone Wild,

:eyepoop:

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Thread Favourite Gerard Henderson was featured on Media Watch tonight.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

A man once said to me, several pages ago, hope is the first step toward dissapointment

Not a single fuckin' trade question

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Lmao this crackpot arguing with Terri Butler on free speech.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
lmao watching q&a

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Sorry I couldn't find the remote after media watch ended like 85% of the ABCs viewership.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Anidav posted:

Sorry I couldn't find the remote after media watch ended like 85% of the ABCs viewership.

That's what the brick is for

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
I'm convinced there was a time q&a was really good, or maybe I've just told myself that enough that I believe it.

Ones without politicians are still generally good.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Does anybody have the video of the UPF dude crying and quitting because he got made fun of handy?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

There should be a q and a special with just Rudd and Gillard.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Nibbles! posted:

I'm convinced there was a time q&a was really good, or maybe I've just told myself that enough that I believe it.

Ones without politicians are still generally good.

I remember a Dawkins v Pell episode that was kinda funny, because Pell could not give less of a poo poo, and Dawkins got real exasperated

I think that one's on Youtube

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

The Peccadillo posted:

I remember a Dawkins v Pell episode that was kinda funny, because Pell could not give less of a poo poo, and Dawkins got real exasperated

I just had to climb into my Mum's roof to clean out a dead rat, it was so loving hot and disgusting, there were maggots burrowing into its cheeks and squirming around its mouth, and the entire roof smelt loving awful and the rat fell apart when I went to pick it up. And yet I'd still rather do that again than watch Pell and Dawkins on Q&A.

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
It's never been fully explained to me why forbidding the Uniting Church or Reform Jews from holding same sex marriage ceremonies isn't a violation of religious liberty.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Quantum Mechanic posted:

It's never been fully explained to me why forbidding the Uniting Church or Reform Jews from holding same sex marriage ceremonies isn't a violation of religious liberty.

You can have all the ceremonies you want, legal marriage certificates are issued accordin' to the text of Marriage Act '61, which is girl/boy only

Also, what happened with Lee Rhiannon?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

The Peccadillo posted:

There was another episode where they made Dawkins sit next to Family First senator Steve Fielding, and Fielding blurted out that he is a creationist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewDT-r00eCU

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
First Dog:

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Has anyone posted that Baird and Abbott have endorsed against Bishop for preselection?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-16/abbott-baird-write-references-for-bronwyn-bishop-rival/7170494

chyaroh
Aug 8, 2007
I do understand that my viewpoint, from the secular society we have, is considered anathema. I really do. I also think that the Marriage Act will change, and probably should change, to reflect the view of the people. I don't see it as "fundamentally destroying marriage", or "ruining the fabric of civilisation" - we've been doing a good enough job of that for the last x-thousand years :-) I'm just trying to put out, as rationally (if you will permit me to use that term here) as possible, the background to the objection of groups such as the ACL. I would hope that the arguments from both sides will be as civil as possible.

Ok, I'll make that my last comment for the moment on this. Now, back to politics, and in particular, whinging "whataboutme?" politicians.

Ian McDonald is retiring, and having a massive sook at the same time about being stuck on the back benches and not being able to use his towering intellect for the forces of truth, justice and the multinational way. Poor baby, you'd never think he was elected to represent his electorate in any way...

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
"Labor has dug into the same figures and discovered that 64,000 negative gearers report taxable incomes of less than zero. No one, certainly not the Treasurer, would believe they actually earned less than zero."

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Those poor battlers with $6m property portfolios

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

chyaroh posted:

I do understand that my viewpoint, from the secular society we have, is considered anathema. I really do. I also think that the Marriage Act will change, and probably should change, to reflect the view of the people. I don't see it as "fundamentally destroying marriage", or "ruining the fabric of civilisation" - we've been doing a good enough job of that for the last x-thousand years :-) I'm just trying to put out, as rationally (if you will permit me to use that term here) as possible, the background to the objection of groups such as the ACL. I would hope that the arguments from both sides will be as civil as possible.

Ok, I'll make that my last comment for the moment on this. Now, back to politics, and in particular, whinging "whataboutme?" politicians.

Ian McDonald is retiring, and having a massive sook at the same time about being stuck on the back benches and not being able to use his towering intellect for the forces of truth, justice and the multinational way. Poor baby, you'd never think he was elected to represent his electorate in any way...

sorry, you don't get to campaign for denying people human rights based on their sexuality and then have a loving whinge about people not treating you with civility you disgusting shitlord.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/act-news/act-road-safety-action-plan-flags-no-helmet-rule-for-cyclists-20160215-gmua9r.html

Cyclists could be allowed to ride without helmets and drivers could have less demerit points to rack up before they lose their licence, as part of a raft of measures to help the ACT government achieve its goal of zero road deaths.

The suggestions are among 39 initiatives outlined in the 70-page ACT Road Safety Action Plan 2016–2020 launched on Monday, after 15 people were killed on ACT roads last year.

Road Safety Minister Shane Rattenbury said there was a new emphasis on encouraging Canberrans to choose "sustainable transport" over cars to both reduce the crash rate and improve the visibility of cyclists.
Road Safety Minister Shane Rattenbury rides with students at University of Canberra High School in Kaleen.

Allowing cyclists to ride without helmets in "low speed environments", like shared zones and university campuses, is one way the government hopes to boost the numbers of bike riders, but it won't be introduced until the government has an expert assess the risks and benefits.

"There is clear evidence that wearing bicycle helmets does reduce the rate of head injuries, there's also evidence it can reduce the amount of people who cycle," Mr Rattenbury said.

"The ANU campus in the city… is all a low speed environment and we can imagine a scenario where people would move across campus or ride to a meeting across the city without having to wear a helmet."

Mr Rattenbury said no helmet rules already existed in other cities across the world and could be used for share bikes offered by buildings or departments.

"We're not talking about someone who's going to be commuting in from Weston Creek to the university, they'll have to wear a helmet, it's a higher speed, higher risk environment," he said.

In NSW, cyclists who ride without a helmet face recently increased fines of $319, but Mr Rattenbury said the tougher measures over the border, including the requirement for cyclists to carry ID, were counterproductive in increasing the number of bike riders.

Other initiatives in the action plan will crack down on drivers using mobile phones while driving.

P-platers and learner drivers will be banned from using mobile phones, including Bluetooth, to bring the ACT in line with other jurisdictions like NSW, and the ban could also be extended to cover other handheld devices.

While older drivers who text or check social media on their phones while driving will face tougher penalties - higher than the current $386 fine and three demerit points for using a handheld phone.

"An emerging issue for us is the increasing level of driver distraction arising from people inappropriately using mobile phones while driving," Mr Rattenbury said.

While in a "controversial" measure the number of demerit points drivers can accrue before their licence is suspended could be reduced under a review of the system.

"We don't want to see the level of death and injury we have seen on our roads in recent years, it's not acceptable," Mr Rattenbury said.

"Through sustained effort there's no reason we shouldn't be able to get to the point where we have zero deaths on our roads."

The number of mobile speed cameras will also be increased especially in school zones and school-based education programs for young drivers will be updated.

Penalties for speeding could also be increased with drivers caught driving at the highest speeds likely to face immediate suspension.

The plan also flags the introduction of more 40km/h zones after the "successful implementation" in 18 town centres last year, upgrades to infrastructure at crash black spots, and urban areas designed to encourage slower speeds.

While signage and road markings encouraging drivers to maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front will be introduced to reduce tailgating, the cause of about 45 per cent of crashes in the ACT.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
fire up the barbeque, it's time for :sparkles: helmet chat :sparkles:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

imo the penalty for tailgating should be summary execution.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

starkebn posted:

fire up the barbeque, it's time for :sparkles: helmet chat :sparkles:

Save a sausage sandwich for me!

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Mate of mine was hit by a caravan trailer last year while on a bike. If he wasn't wearing a helmet probably would have died.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Should prob ban caravans.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood
Once again everyone in policy making positions has forgotten that there is already a solution that doesn't involve a balance of carrot and stick: you need town planners. Seperated bike lanes, traffic calming in suburban streets, linking up bike paths, and designing places like shops, business etc to be bicycle accessible makes riding safer. The helmet is just a bonus.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Who cares about fop. It is pointless to argue about because

a) No normal perosn will be offended by the word, and
b) "Bop the fop" is a really stupid, contrived catchphrase that will never gain traction with anyone.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Turnbull's not really a fop anyway, he's just a really rich neoliberal dude who probably doesn't powder his nose.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Amethyst posted:

b) "Bop the fop" is a really stupid, contrived catchphrase that will never gain traction with anyone.

Thanks but it's helmet chat time now

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Amethyst posted:

thanks for the last word on an argument from yesterday

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Former speaker Bronwyn Bishop's preselection chances have been dealt a blow, with both Tony Abbott and New South Wales Premier Mike Baird writing references in support of a party official expected to run against her.

:unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Am I forgetting something, or is Steve Ciobo's only action of note that he threatened an innocent australian to deportation on live TV?

• Locked thread