Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FreshFeesh posted:

This is the stupidest little thing, but it's a feature I wish were in every RPG I play –

In Pillars of Eternity each savegame, including autosaves, is grouped by character so if you start over you don't risk overwriting old saves. That was a nice change of pace when wanting to play through the game as different classes or with alternate story choices, without having to hunt down and remember which save was which or for what character.

The game has a number of little things like that many of which were already talked about in this thread, but this one was a very pleasant surprise for me.

Fallout 4 also does this, which is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

In XCOM2 the Aliens have taken over and installed pan-global government called ADVENT. You play as resistance fighters fighting this government which includes hacking into their global network of towers and computer systems.

One of the lines that your hacker might say is Hack the Planet!

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
In Rhythm Heaven, a rhytm game for the Wii, some of the minigames don't mind if you press the button off the beat, as long as you actually hit the prompts you're supposed to hit, leading to videos like this getting full score:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SpsezVsd0No

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Fallout 4 also does this, which is cool.

Dragon Age Origins does too. It's great.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

My first soldier (Jane) promoted in the game was a Ranger who kicked indescribable melee rear end, my wife was watching Mad Max at the time so I nicknamed Jane 'Furiosa' blackened her face, shaved her head, and never looked back. Now she's the most decorated soldier currently serving and has never gotten reduced will.

On the other hand my first recruit ever was literally named Charlie Brown. He was nearly killed, partially by friendly fire, in his first mission and immediately became depressed.

I wonder does the game give you the same named soldiers if you do the tutorial because my first promoted character was a ranger called Jane Kelly.

I love the bladestorm skill which is basically everyone who gets close gets hit with the sword. There was one mission where I sent her out to kill what I thought was the last advent guy but I ran into of course 2 snakes and a muton and the last thing I could do before ending my turn was shotgun the advent guy. The enemy turn the muton ran up to Jane, bladestormed to one health and stunned for two, the first snake then did the tongue grab thing, bladestorm and dead and then the last snake who had backed off did the same thing and took her right next to the objective before dying to of course bladestorm. So I renamed her to Jane "loving" Kelly because I had just said that out loud.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, Jane is the only tutorial character that is guaranteed to survive not named Central, and will always be a Ranger. Her code name is not set in stone, though, because I got "Fury" and I know other people got other things.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lotish posted:

Yeah, Jane is the only tutorial character that is guaranteed to survive not named Central, and will always be a Ranger. Her code name is not set in stone, though, because I got "Fury" and I know other people got other things.

I got "Flash" as my Jane Kelly nickname. I had another ranger that was nicknamed "Crash" so they became a kickass alien fighting duo.

Sighence
Aug 26, 2009

Lotish posted:

Really wish the tutorial (in both this and EU) didn't force me into moving dudes into places you just know are awful. I mean, I get it in a strict tutorial sense of 'hey if you mess up you *will* get unceremoniously wrecked', but I didn't need to lose perfectly good soldiers for it.

e: Don't get me wrong, it's a great tutorial if it's your first strategy game and certainly a favorite little thing in a game. It's be even more of a favorite if there was a Civ-style 'I played the last XCOM (and all the ones before it) show me what's new and don't retread ancient ground' version.

Sighence has a new favorite as of 21:45 on Feb 13, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sighence posted:

Really wish the tutorial (in both this and EU) didn't force me into moving dudes into places you just know are awful. I mean, I get it in a strict tutorial sense of 'hey if you mess up you *will* get unceremoniously wrecked', but I didn't need to lose perfectly good soldiers for it.

How else are they going to illustrate how necessary you are than by showing their incompetence without you?

QuietLion
Aug 16, 2011

Da realest Kirby
I started The Darkness II and there's a few nice little touches. If you use a controller, it vibrates whenever The Darkness is directly speaking to Jackie. It also vibrates violently during conversations that discuss killing/getting revenge on enemy gangs or whenever the Siphon is mentioned, as The Darkness loves those topics.

The Darkling is pretty special too, the first time you take control of him, he starts humming the Mission Impossible theme off-key as you climb pipes and stealth above enemies. In combat, His AI tries to flank enemies rather than attacking head-on, and he's pretty good about getting behind and clawing the annoying guys that carry whips and lights.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In The Talos Princple you have the ability to use buckets of paint hidden in some levels to leave messages for people, Dark Souls style, Some puzzles also involve a mechanic called Record, where you can record yourself doing an action and then have that recording play out in tandem with your current self.

If you record yourself painting a message and then let the recording play out, the recorded version of you will leave a complete different message than the one you chose.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Been playing a lot of Bloodborne recently, and something I like about the game is that blood and various other fluids don't physically wash off of your character. In some games, in order to save on memory, blood and water and such will slowly just fade out of existence when it's on your dude. But in Bloodborne, it doesn't ever wash away, so if you don't die for a while your character will end up completely covered head to toe in blood, oil, the general visceral insides of your enemies. Your weapons, too. It really adds to the atmosphere and weight of what you do in the game.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Been playing a lot of Bloodborne recently, and something I like about the game is that blood and various other fluids don't physically wash off of your character. In some games, in order to save on memory, blood and water and such will slowly just fade out of existence when it's on your dude. But in Bloodborne, it doesn't ever wash away, so if you don't die for a while your character will end up completely covered head to toe in blood, oil, the general visceral insides of your enemies. Your weapons, too. It really adds to the atmosphere and weight of what you do in the game.

Also when you slaughter a prey blood rains down for a few seconds and it's the coolest.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

CJacobs posted:

One neat thing dark souls 2 did was when you waded through the poison in one marsh area it would stay on your cloathing after, and rather then have poisoning instantly stop the moment you step out of it, it would continue while it was still on your clothing until it drained off. incidentally this also worked for water, and rolling around in water until you were soaked actually increased your fire resistance for a while.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It's a valuable thing to remember when you get to the area with poison pools, especially coming from dark souls 1 where you think rolling through poison will get you out of it the fastest :v:

Gitro
May 29, 2013

Digirat posted:

It's a valuable thing to remember when you get to the area with poison pools, especially coming from dark souls 1 where you think rolling through poison will get you out of it the fastest :v:

Overall I didn't really like DS2, but I enjoyed the cheap sort of gotcha with rolling through poison and another area. There's curse jars in one area that start cursing you when you get close. Smash them and they stop. Curse is bad, it drops your health as if you died a whole bunch of times and it might also instantly kill you, but it does nothing if your health is already as low as it can. Hitting objects lowers your weapon durability, so the best way to break them is to roll into them. One of the jars has a disguised pitfall trap right next to/under it. I rolled right into it, and it dropped me in the middle of 3 sort-of dangerous enemies. spoilered for neat trap, just in case. It was hilarious, it wasn't really that deadly and doesn't get in the way of just passing through the area. Infinitely better than door ogres.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
AC Syndicate does something fun with one of its collectibles. Because you're using the Animus (or at least the retail version of one) to walk around merry old England, Shaun gets you to go grab old beer bottles from various pubs and places. In the collectibles tab, you find reviews of the various beers he tries himself by sampling them virtually and most amount to "oh god, this project is a bad idea and what did I drink? :barf:"

As a sample;

quote:

I didn't realize it was legal to patent pasteurized sheep urine. I'm starting to have second thoughts about this project.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Gitro posted:

Overall I didn't really like DS2, but I enjoyed the cheap sort of gotcha with rolling through poison and another area. There's curse jars in one area that start cursing you when you get close. Smash them and they stop. Curse is bad, it drops your health as if you died a whole bunch of times and it might also instantly kill you, but it does nothing if your health is already as low as it can. Hitting objects lowers your weapon durability, so the best way to break them is to roll into them. One of the jars has a disguised pitfall trap right next to/under it. I rolled right into it, and it dropped me in the middle of 3 sort-of dangerous enemies. spoilered for neat trap, just in case. It was hilarious, it wasn't really that deadly and doesn't get in the way of just passing through the area. Infinitely better than door ogres.

I just carried around spare weapons if durability was that much of an issue. But breaking things was weirdly picky. You couldn't shoot things like the poison rear end in a top hat statues with arrows but you could throw things at them.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Well, rolling is also the best because you get to break poo poo by throwing your body into it.

The whip was MVP for clearing the lovely poison statues. The R2 could clear 3-5 if you lined it up right.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
In Binary Domain you buy weapons and upgrades from vending machines (because Japan) and every time you leave the vending machine after making a purchase a little virtual roulette wheel will pop up and if you win then it gives you a free item. In the long run its not really significant from a tactical standpoint but it's charming as hell to have it chirp happily in Japanese and spit out an ammo box.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Been playing Digimon Story: CyberSleuth and I love what happens in Chapter 11 (HEAVY SPOILERS):

There is a character who has been the least impressive, the girl who is in over her head. She only has an Agumon and a Gabumon to her name initially because they decided to tag along with her, so no official bond that would make them useful in battle yet. In chapter 10 she gets in trouble trying to recruit people to a team of 'Heroic' hackers she is calling the Rebels, and to save her they Warp Digivolve to WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon. In chapter 11 she gets in a fight with Rui, a girl who hates her guts for flimsy reasons, and Rui completely wipes the floor with WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon (You play this unwinnable fight). Then the two DNA Digivolve to Omnimon and you play the fight again but this time WIPING THE FLOOR with her. It is so satisfying, partially because now she can play at everyone else's level and won't be in the way anymore, and partially because Rui is very unpleasant at this point in the game.

Also, I got to pick Hagurumon as my starter. :kimchi:

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

BioEnchanted posted:

Been playing Digimon Story: CyberSleuth and I love what happens in Chapter 11 (HEAVY SPOILERS):

There is a character who has been the least impressive, the girl who is in over her head. She only has an Agumon and a Gabumon to her name initially because they decided to tag along with her, so no official bond that would make them useful in battle yet. In chapter 10 she gets in trouble trying to recruit people to a team of 'Heroic' hackers she is calling the Rebels, and to save her they Warp Digivolve to WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon. In chapter 11 she gets in a fight with Rui, a girl who hates her guts for flimsy reasons, and Rui completely wipes the floor with WarGreymon and MetalGarurumon (You play this unwinnable fight). Then the two DNA Digivolve to Omnimon and you play the fight again but this time WIPING THE FLOOR with her. It is so satisfying, partially because now she can play at everyone else's level and won't be in the way anymore, and partially because Rui is very unpleasant at this point in the game.

Also, I got to pick Hagurumon as my starter. :kimchi:

It's been a while since I picked up Digimon game- is the Party Time attack still a thing?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

tribbledirigible posted:

It's been a while since I picked up Digimon game- is the Party Time attack still a thing?

I don't know, haven't been using the Filth digimon because historically they have always been garbage.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Do you guys think a recycle bin digimon would be the poo poo or what?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

FauxGateau posted:

I thhink it'd just be more of the same, personally.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

FauxGateau posted:

Garbagemon exists. He has a bazooka that shoots poop.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Ha, just remembered my favorite Virus/Data-type:

I hosed up a lot in DigimonWorld for the PS1.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

death .cab for qt posted:

I thhink it'd just be more of the same, personally.

exactly!

tribbledirigible posted:

everybody hosed up in DigimonWorld for the PS1 because that game was a test to see if children would subject themselves to torture in the form of opaque game mechanics. We did. And I'm going to continue to when I dust off my disk.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

tribbledirigible posted:

There's also a golden one with wings. People love the poop monsters.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something I found funny about the Digimon World 1 was the name of the recoloured Betamon - Modokibetamon - Modoki means "Similar, but not the same". It's literally Slightly-Off-Betamon.

^Half the monsters in Blue Dragon were Akira Toriyama making childish poop jokes. Giant Poo Snake made by the T-rex boss, Stone Poo Snakes were petrified (Water was their weakness, there was a textbox that said they became squishy), Compost Poo Snakes were covered in leaves and were weak to fire. It just went on. I guess when you have drawn, like, 30 successful series and a few good games you re entitled to whatever the gently caress you want.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Feb 16, 2016

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

that poop snail is like :stare:

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

BioEnchanted posted:

Something I found funny about the Digimon World 1 was the name of the recoloured Betamon - Modokibetamon - Modoki means "Similar, but not the same". It's literally Slightly-Off-Betamon.

^Half the monsters in Blue Dragon were Akira Toriyama making childish poop jokes. Giant Poo Snake made by the T-rex boss, Stone Poo Snakes were petrified (Water was their weakness, there was a textbox that said they became squishy), Compost Poo Snakes were covered in leaves and were weak to fire. It just went on. I guess when you have drawn, like, 30 successful series and a few good games you re entitled to whatever the gently caress you want.

Yeah for real. Are you gonna tell the motherfucking man he can't have poop snakes? They were probably afraid that Toriyama would Kamehameha them. A legitimate and smart fear.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nuebot posted:

There's also a golden one with wings. People love the poop monsters.

codenameFANGIO posted:

that poop snail is like :stare:

When you're the King of poo poo, constipation is a very big deal.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I really appreciate how XCOM 2 is so open to modding. It's like the developers went "here is the game we wanted to make, have fun. But also, we know there are things that people will probably want to change, so gently caress it, here you go, make something great with our game."

Same goes to the Elder Scrolls/Fallout games, any time a developer makes their games mod friendly it makes me happy.

Compared to devs like Rockstar who create these rich amazing worlds ripe with opportunity but then actively try to gently caress modders over because gently caress you, you play how we want you to play.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Rockstar doesn't try to gently caress over modders unless they're hacking the multiplayer. Their file system isn't very modding-friendly but that's nothing unique to them- modding Max Payne 3 in particular is almost impossible because .rpf files are such a drat clusterfuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=407YhBdjLJQ

If you can yank it apart and put it back together successfully, though, you can do great things.

edit: vvv Well, that's fair, I was just thinking of their more modern games.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 04:51 on Feb 18, 2016

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
At the very least Rockstar obfuscated San Andreas' modding ability on the PC as a response to the Hot Coffee controversy, so it's almost impossible to mod without using a pirated EXE from before that.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Max Payne 3's file structure counts as a little thing if you're a big ol nerd who likes to see game infrastructure trainwrecks. That game is almost 30 gb large because there are separate copies of every texture and model file for every map it's in- every gun, every ground texture, every random trash model of a traffic cone. Everything that appears more than once has an exact copy stored in the .rpf file for the relevant chapter. There are 13 models of Max, which pull from a resevoir of almost 40 different head and arm textures, like 30 different clothing textures, and so on and so on. The fmv cutscenes and audio files are all completely uncompressed. There's an unholy amount of stuff that is completely unused because it was either cut or phased out in development but still required for the game to run. It is just a wonderful piece of madness to behold. It's really a wonder that game even runs at all, let alone as well as it does.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

Hot Coffee controversy

Hahahaha, oh how times have changed in just 10 years. :allears:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Hahahaha, oh how times have changed in just 10 years. :allears:

Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Rockstar doesn't try to gently caress over modders unless they're hacking the multiplayer.

Except exactly the opposite happened with GTAV. You could easily just pop open cheat engine and gently caress with the game to your heart's content but very few people got banned for it. Meanwhile when they cracked down on cheaters, it was people using graphics mods and stuff for the single player that first got hit by the bans.