Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

Have you considered the Drow Long Blade? Between Tempest Fighter and the Shock Trooper PP, you can boost those suckers up to the equivalent of bastard swords while being heavy thrown weapons. Opens up some REALLY interesting Cleave options.

I did. Going with the Double Sword (Master's Blade enchantment) because A: I really needed to stack as much AC bonuses as possible (seriously, I've got an Elven Chain Shirt, and a Rhythm Blade Wrist Razor +1 just to wring out some extra AC), B: Deft Blade lets me get mark punishments, OAs, and charges with my Skald at-will boosting them against Reflex, C: I'm kind of locked into my Daring Blade idea just because it both sounded cool to run my fighter off Cha so Icould play the party diplomancer (everyone's got four skills minimum at chargen, and we ignored the class skill lists.), D: Midnight Blade Student lets me use Dual Strike against Reflex with Light Blades.

My non-Dual Strike Fighter at-will is Footwork Lure, boosted with Trickster's Blade Style and eventually Catspaw Style to let me get some interesting mobility/enemy movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Well, remember, while light blade gives you Deft Blade, Heavy Blade Opportunity is also extremely strong, especially when you can use an at-will that makes two attacks. But I see you're going for more movement shenanigans, so yeah, your way is probably the way to go.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Yeah, plus the Skald at-will aura boost on an MBA thing just sounded cool to go with some of my character's secondary leader stuff they have going on. So I'm effectively getting one of my at-wills on an OA anyway, and while Dual Strike as an OA is fun, this works too.

Mind you, this is nothing on the Seeker/Avenger's choice to use Dilletante to poach a Ranger At-Will, then use Archery Mastery to trade it out for Rapid Shot so their insanely boosted RBAs (one of which gets oath) are now area attacks.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, plus the Skald at-will aura boost on an MBA thing just sounded cool to go with some of my character's secondary leader stuff they have going on. So I'm effectively getting one of my at-wills on an OA anyway, and while Dual Strike as an OA is fun, this works too.

Mind you, this is nothing on the Seeker/Avenger's choice to use Dilletante to poach a Ranger At-Will, then use Archery Mastery to trade it out for Rapid Shot so their insanely boosted RBAs (one of which gets oath) are now area attacks.

This is a TERRIBLE way to 'boost' yourself. You're spending a shitton of resources to be a mediocre wizard.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

This is a TERRIBLE way to 'boost' yourself. You're spending a shitton of resources to be a mediocre wizard.

Fair enough. It's more of a "can I make this concept work" build than going for particularly high end results, and it's functioning in the game reasonably well. I got a bit overly excited when describing it because I thought it was amusing. Both the other players described themselves as low-charop skills, so both the Seeker/Avenger player and I intentionally sandbagged a bit into weird concepts so we wouldn't overshadow them.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Power Player posted:

Any suggestions for running the Slaying Stone? I might be running it soon.

The opening hook sucks. I changed it to "the King had to leave his crown inside the town in a hurried evacuation and he wants you to go get it because its magical enough that it'll actually help him reclaim the land", because the original of "its a one-shot weapon that can kill anything, except it only works once and only within a mile of the town" is not very compelling and is vulnerable to a bunch of plot nitpickery.

I didn't enforce the "must cast a ritual to divine the next possible spot where the McGuffin might be". I just flat gave out clues to the players.

Between the Kobolds, the Goblinoids and the Orcs, you can have the players try and play the various factions off each other. The group I ran with "skipped" the Krayd the Butcher encounter by diplomatizing with her and I made it to that when they got to the encounter with Hu-Jat, she came out of left field and immediately took out the Rage Drake separately. The group also ended up making nice with the Kobolds in the first half of the town, so that came into play too.

Giving the players some kind of investment into the different town factions also helps with making it so that they don't just beeline for the McGuffin*, especially since I didn't really enforce the "skill checks to make it across town without drawing a random encounter" mechanic.

* don't take this the wrong way. I'd still let them do that if that's what they wanted to do, of course.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Misandu posted:

I would definitely restrict it to your own turn just to avoid slowing down the game, but otherwise I think it should be fine?
Yeah, upon consideration, I definitely want to avoid stuff like "that ogre hits you for a whopping 30 damage" - "ouch, I take a free action to drink a potion".

Looking at it from an action economy point of view, by RAW you could use at most 1 potion per turn, 3 with Quick Draw/Bandolier. With the houserule, you could do 3 per turn, 4 with Quick Draw/Bandolier. So it increases the baseline effectiveness of potion use, but doesn't increase the feat's or item's effectiveness proportionally. Sounds alright, actually. (And that's just a scenario, anyway; at one healing surge per potion I don't see this happening anytime soon.)

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

gourdcaptain posted:

Fair enough. It's more of a "can I make this concept work" build than going for particularly high end results, and it's functioning in the game reasonably well. I got a bit overly excited when describing it because I thought it was amusing. Both the other players described themselves as low-charop skills, so both the Seeker/Avenger player and I intentionally sandbagged a bit into weird concepts so we wouldn't overshadow them.

That's fair enough, and is Good Charop rather than good charop. I respect that, and I enjoy doing the same.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I may actually be playing 4e again soon, and for campaign reasons the character would make most sense as a Drow. What classes match up well to them, particularly ones with a mystical/eldritch feel?

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

spectralent posted:

I may actually be playing 4e again soon, and for campaign reasons the character would make most sense as a Drow. What classes match up well to them, particularly ones with a mystical/eldritch feel?
Warlock's got you covered right out of the gate, and even has a kinda-more-drow-than-other-folks flavored pact option in the FR book to boot!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Warlock's got you covered right out of the gate, and even has a kinda-more-drow-than-other-folks flavored pact option in the FR book to boot!

Issue: Our drow are nocturnal ruins-folk without the spider S&M society thing. Am I still covered by the FR pact?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

spectralent posted:

Issue: Our drow are nocturnal ruins-folk without the spider S&M society thing. Am I still covered by the FR pact?

Best thing about 4e is reflavoring your mechanical choices.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

spectralent posted:

If you're already reflavoring races & stuff, just pick whatever pact and reflavor that, too.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Generic Octopus posted:

If you're already reflavoring races & stuff, just pick whatever pact and reflavor that, too.

If you're already reflavoring races & stuff, just pick whatever race, class, theme, and pact and reflavor that, too.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Warlocks are the shoe-in easy "mystic/eldritch" class and drow are really good at them. Likewise they're amazing at a few warlock hybrids - rogue and executioner especially. If you want to be less "rod" mystic and more "anime" mystic, they make really good avengers. If you want to be less "offense" in general, they make oddly great shamans. Most of these don't require much if any refluffing, too.

They're good at a few other classes, but those are the main ones that could fit the mystic/eldritch theme.

Drow own.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

And even then, a bunch of the FR drow pact is great for nocturnal ruins-folk. It's even called the Dark Pact!

If you wanted ruins-as-in-lost-empires folk, you could also go with my personal favorite, the Sorcerer-King Pact from the Dark Sun setting book. One of the paragon tier powers lets you Ka-Li-Ma fuckers straight outta Indy.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Drow can also be really good druids, and some of the druid abilities and pps can get really hosed up and eldritchy

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Nocturnal Ruins-Folk could be a Rogue or Bard, both of which are Good and Fun. e: Bard for the arcane caster, though. Shaman also possible. e2: Hell, you could make a Sorcerer. Lots of options.

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Feb 16, 2016

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

TheDemon posted:

Nocturnal Ruins-Folk could be a Rogue or Bard, both of which are Good and Fun. e: Bard for the arcane caster, though. Shaman also possible. e2: Hell, you could make a Sorcerer. Lots of options.

We got a bard and someone considering the rogue, cheers though.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Drow make solid Archer rangers, Rogues and Bards, too.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
My favorite Drow build will always be the dual-wielding handcrossbows sniper rogue because I am a terrible human being.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

unseenlibrarian posted:

My favorite Drow build will always be the dual-wielding handcrossbows sniper rogue because I am a terrible human being.

Honestly being a dirtbag elf who fights like he's in a Jet-Li movie is pretty hard to argue against.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I've kinda wanted to run Drow dex secondary avenger with their darkness burst ability for a while. Seems like a fantastic fit.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
I have a drowy rogue who picked up the assassin multiclass feat - cloud of darkness mixed with teleporting powers is pretty potent

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I've kinda wanted to run Drow dex secondary avenger with their darkness burst ability for a while. Seems like a fantastic fit.

Yeah, I imagine that would be the beginnings of an intensely powerful build. You can even throw in a multiclass to grab even more disgusting things like, oh, I dunno, spear feats, surprising charge...

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
Drow make good monks, and with Cloud of Darkness + mass sanction can make fun paladins as well.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Honestly being a dirtbag elf who fights like he's in a Jet-Li movie is pretty hard to argue against.

Yeah, that one was a lot of fun. My DM was a bit perplexed that I wanted to play John Preston in a fantasy game, but everyone enjoyed it.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
Is there any simple way to integrate the errata into the books, or get a version of the rules with the up to date errata? I really dislike the idea of sitting down to accidentally read out of date rules.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Easiest would be getting the offline builder, CBLoader and custom files for character options, and the Rules Compendium for the basic mechanics.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

unseenlibrarian posted:

Mechanically, you're better off wielding a dagger or short sword (or drow long knife if you're dying to waste a feat) with the hand crossbow off-handed, even if you only ever use the crossbow, since you can take a feat to let you not provoke OAs from hand crossbow attacks when wielding a hand crossbow and light blade. Imagine you're a pirate with a cutlass and a flintlock, or a cowboy with a revolver and bowie knife.

...or CQC Solid Snake.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Dick Burglar posted:

Mechanically, you're better off wielding a dagger or short sword (or drow long knife if you're dying to waste a feat) with the hand crossbow off-handed, even if you only ever use the crossbow, since you can take a feat to let you not provoke OAs from hand crossbow attacks when wielding a hand crossbow and light blade. Imagine you're a pirate with a cutlass and a flintlock, or a cowboy with a revolver and bowie knife.

...or CQC Solid Snake.

Just FYI, Drow Long Knives are actually Heavy Blades, so they won't benefit from any of the nice off-handed light blade benefits.

They're great for deft hurler fighters, though. Cleave + Deft Hurler Style + Heavy Blade Opportunity = Free Extra Attack and Ranged Mark.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Oh right, my bad.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Mecha Gojira posted:

Just FYI, Drow Long Knives are actually Heavy Blades, so they won't benefit from any of the nice off-handed light blade benefits.

They're great for deft hurler fighters, though. Cleave + Deft Hurler Style + Heavy Blade Opportunity = Free Extra Attack and Ranged Mark.

Farbond Spellblades are better for that. Unless you desperately need your enchantment to be something else.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

thespaceinvader posted:

Farbond Spellblades are better for that. Unless you desperately need your enchantment to be something else.

Melegaunt's Darkblade/Jagged Weapon in paragon, especially if you're dual wielding and picking up two-weapon opening.

Edit: I wouldn't recommend Drowning Long Knives outside of certain Tempest Fighter builds admittedly.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 18, 2016

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Is there a place that lists all the different powers/spells a class gets in one place? I've been using the wiki but it has a ton of red links. Current build idea for the campaign I'm in is Wizard, Wind-Rider PP, into Avatar of Storm, but I'm having a hard time finding good thunder spells to use until I get to 21.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yukari posted:

Is there a place that lists all the different powers/spells a class gets in one place? I've been using the wiki but it has a ton of red links. Current build idea for the campaign I'm in is Wizard, Wind-Rider PP, into Avatar of Storm, but I'm having a hard time finding good thunder spells to use until I get to 21.

CBLoader. Otherwise, maybe the old CharOp handbooks that got saved on ENWorld, but mostly no.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yukari posted:

wizard doesn't have a lot of good thunder/lightning skills available. Sorcerer is a better fit for thunder/lightning stuff.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
You could always convert all your damage to lightning with implement shenanigans.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I just want to take a moment and recognize a particular monster from Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale. The lowly level 4 artillery Orc Grenadier may not catch your eye immediately, but you should take a closer look. Like all orcs, they get to make one final swing before they die, but that swing is a fire area burst plus they deal automatic fire damage to adjacent enemies. But that's not all! Once per encounter as an immediate, they shift away and drop a close burst caltrop that slows and deals damage for the rest of the encounter. The area of effect is huge and can completely change the shape of the battlefield.

Try them out yourselves next time you run a low level campaign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Yukari posted:

There is literally a sorcerer built specifically for lightning and thunder powers. What are you trying to do with the wizard thematically and mechanically?