Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Selfish Otter
Jun 29, 2005
I got to thinking and it seems like the majority of the problems with the Bellamy/Skaikru part of the story could have been fixed with one change: swapping Echo in for Gina.

• Echo is an established character and they've already had their meet-cute (murdering people together is a meet-cute on The 100), so you don't have the problem of introducing a new character the audience has never seen but the characters Totally Care About.
  • She can just be shown hanging out with Bellamy at the start of the season and it's pretty easy to explain why she's there: she wanted to apologize for abandoning Bellamy at the mountain and she holds her people in contempt for wussing out of the battle with the Mountain Men and leaving it all to Skaikru (and as a bonus, it reinforces the idea that Lexa's control is fraying because the deal made her look weak). Now they just hang out because they enjoy each other's company.
  • Just to prep for twisting the knife later, anything involving Gina can be switched out for the Bellamy and Echo doing the whole long stares/shy eyes/sexual tension routine that Clarke and Lexa have going on. Like so:

Tumblr fills up with sappy GIFs and everyone is happy.
  • The whole plot where the Ice Nation destroys Mt. Weather can proceed exactly as it did, except now there's no reason for Bellamy not to trust Echo (it made sense to me, I figure it's pretty reasonable to trust someone after you save her life, but some people thought it was too easy). Echo's betrayal is elevated from "drat, that's cold" to full-on :vince:
  • Now Bellamy's willingness to fall in behind Pike makes a lot more sense. He was played for a chump by a grounder spy for months, and not just by anyone but by someone he nearly sacrificed himself to save (remember when she was going to be picked as a blood bag before Bellamy started banging to draw their attention?) and had real feelings for. It's still a bit of a leap, but now Pike's pitch goes from "can't trust those Grounders" to "even a Grounder who owed you her life and called you friend still betrayed you and murdered our people - no matter what they say now, they will never see us as anything but enemies", which is a lot more compelling. So now Echo isn't just someone Bellamy knows, she's someone they've all met who is now living proof of Grounder treachery. And, spoiler territory, one of the writers tweeted that Echo was split 50/50 between getting the guards out of Mt. Weather in preparation for the attack and getting Bellamy out to make sure he survived the attack so this would just turn that up to 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Kegslayer posted:

Maybe I'm just defending lovely writing but I don't see Bellamy's change of heart to be that big of a reveal. He's always been a douchebag and he values power and control.

Yeah, this would not be a shock at all if it was first season Bellamy, especially the first few eps where he took over and made Earth into a hedonistic paradise where he was banging chicks left and right making a gang of enforcers with guys like Murphy.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
ohnoes... Lincoln AKA Ricky Wittle has been cast in American Gods.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Rocksicles posted:

ohnoes... Lincoln AKA Ricky Wittle has been cast in American Gods.

Unfortunately for American Gods. Or maybe he'll actually be compelling in that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently his audition was perfect.

If he's not playing walking abs, maybe he's pretty good.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

But he's great as Lincoln?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Not enough for the Golden Globe judges in TVIV

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Selfish Otter posted:

I got to thinking and it seems like the majority of the problems with the Bellamy/Skaikru part of the story could have been fixed with one change: swapping Echo in for Gina.

• Echo is an established character and they've already had their meet-cute (murdering people together is a meet-cute on The 100), so you don't have the problem of introducing a new character the audience has never seen but the characters Totally Care About.
  • She can just be shown hanging out with Bellamy at the start of the season and it's pretty easy to explain why she's there: she wanted to apologize for abandoning Bellamy at the mountain and she holds her people in contempt for wussing out of the battle with the Mountain Men and leaving it all to Skaikru (and as a bonus, it reinforces the idea that Lexa's control is fraying because the deal made her look weak). Now they just hang out because they enjoy each other's company.
  • Just to prep for twisting the knife later, anything involving Gina can be switched out for the Bellamy and Echo doing the whole long stares/shy eyes/sexual tension routine that Clarke and Lexa have going on. Like so:

Tumblr fills up with sappy GIFs and everyone is happy.
  • The whole plot where the Ice Nation destroys Mt. Weather can proceed exactly as it did, except now there's no reason for Bellamy not to trust Echo (it made sense to me, I figure it's pretty reasonable to trust someone after you save her life, but some people thought it was too easy). Echo's betrayal is elevated from "drat, that's cold" to full-on :vince:
  • Now Bellamy's willingness to fall in behind Pike makes a lot more sense. He was played for a chump by a grounder spy for months, and not just by anyone but by someone he nearly sacrificed himself to save (remember when she was going to be picked as a blood bag before Bellamy started banging to draw their attention?) and had real feelings for. It's still a bit of a leap, but now Pike's pitch goes from "can't trust those Grounders" to "even a Grounder who owed you her life and called you friend still betrayed you and murdered our people - no matter what they say now, they will never see us as anything but enemies", which is a lot more compelling. So now Echo isn't just someone Bellamy knows, she's someone they've all met who is now living proof of Grounder treachery. And, spoiler territory, one of the writers tweeted that Echo was split 50/50 between getting the guards out of Mt. Weather in preparation for the attack and getting Bellamy out to make sure he survived the attack so this would just turn that up to 11.

Well no because who the gently caress is Echo?

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Well no because who the gently caress is Echo?

The girl Bellamy was locked up next to in Mt. Weather that one time and was also the one who tattled to the Ice Queen a couple of episodes ago.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

LoG posted:

The girl Bellamy was locked up next to in Mt. Weather that one time and was also the one who tattled to the Ice Queen a couple of episodes ago.

Who is also THE CHOSEN ONE apparently.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Xoidanor posted:

Who is also THE CHOSEN ONE apparently.

No, that's someone else.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Shieldhill posted:

No, that's someone else.

It was? I was sure it was her...

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9g4YsGpO-A

The queens ace in the hole was a Nightblood. She's not after risking that to a potential suicide mission

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rocksicles posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9g4YsGpO-A

The queens ace in the hole was a Nightblood. She's not after risking that to a potential suicide mission

Considering that the queen put herself within spearing distance for a duel in her name that she didn't even have guts to fight herself I'm not that convinced about her risk-estimation capabilities.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I can't even believe you heartless curmudgeons don't like Lincoln.

Fact about Lincoln's actor: Dude doesn't have a stunt double, he does all his own stunts.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
He's homekru for me, i grew up right near where he grew up. Mad props Mancs who are killing it.

Xoidanor posted:

Considering that the queen put herself within spearing distance for a duel in her name that she didn't even have guts to fight herself I'm not that convinced about her risk-estimation capabilities.

To be fair, Lexa broke the gently caress out of the rules there... the lack of rules was for the ring.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Xoidanor posted:

It was? I was sure it was her...

vs

You might have eyeball problems, friend

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

vs

You might have eyeball problems, friend

Well excuse me for confusing the two side characters with barely any screentime. :colbert:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
that's what you get for not watching every episode seven times to glean every morsel of Clarke/Lexa sexual tension possible :colbert:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Face blindness is a common goon condition.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Boogaleeboo posted:

Face blindness is a common goon condition.

I don't know what you're saying, both those pictures are clearly David Mitchell.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Soothing Vapors posted:

that's what you get for not watching every episode seven times to glean every morsel of Clarke/Lexa sexual tension possible :colbert:

exactly ya'll are watching the show wrong

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Grounders all look alike anyway. :smug:

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
and I have to say coming to this show from once upon a time is very refreshing because the blonde/brunette intense lady gazes actually result in something

thank you the 100

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

arent the blonde and the brunette on that show mother and daughter? clean your act up, Troposphere

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Soothing Vapors posted:

arent the blonde and the brunette on that show mother and daughter? clean your act up, Troposphere

no!! that's another brunette

well technically Regina is Emma's ex step grandmother who also shares a son with her but literally everyone on that show is related in some way or another once upon a time is dumb as hell

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Troposphere posted:

no!! that's another brunette

well technically Regina is Emma's ex step grandmother who also shares a son with her but literally everyone on that show is related in some way or another once upon a time is dumb as hell

The Charming family tree is the one of the best best/most hilarious parts of that show, at least. Especially when the show itself started making jokes about it a couple seasons back.

I wonder who they'll add in the back half this year.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Not sure what all the bitching is about. This show is excellent right now. Fast pace, unpredictable plot twists, lots of high-tension moments, the uncertainty of multiple different factions and how they will react to events, and Jaha's crazy religious zeal.

Yeah, at first glance Bellamy switching sides feels rushed. On the other hand, he has always been prone to making decisions without thinking them through, especially while in trauma, so it's not surprising at all, especially since he has made several very bad decisions already within the span of just four episodes. Let's see:

• Agreeing to take Jasper on an important patrol mission despite him obviously being psychologically unstable
  • Breaking patrol protocol to move into Ice Nation territory just to chase after a beacon signal, resulting in a fatal confrontation that broke the cease-fire
  • Leaving over forty civilians undefended in Mount Weather to go on a rescue mission, despite it being repeatedly stated that moving into Mount Weather will undoubtedly be seen as a hostile move by the grounders

The dude is not fit for a leadership position, period. So yeah it's not surprising at all that he chose to side with a leader figure who is just like him: follows emotions and sentiment rather than reason.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The worst thing about Pike isn't that he's the way he is, it's that Kane and Abby are just like "yeah he's super racist against grounders and thinks that it's us against them, but we aren't going to sit him down and explain the importance of the situation, we'll just keep inviting him to meetings and letting him see how much authority he can get away with". Like it's completely stupid of all the characters who have been major players in the last season to just be like "yeah these guys are 2 seconds from murdering our friends who have helped us because they look like the enemy, but what can you do?"

Also, since we haven't seen Jaha in 2 episodes, I assume we're up for an episode that's all about him. :barf:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Snak posted:

The worst thing about Pike isn't that he's the way he is, it's that Kane and Abby are just like "yeah he's super racist against grounders and thinks that it's us against them, but we aren't going to sit him down and explain the importance of the situation, we'll just keep inviting him to meetings and letting him see how much authority he can get away with". Like it's completely stupid of all the characters who have been major players in the last season to just be like "yeah these guys are 2 seconds from murdering our friends who have helped us because they look like the enemy, but what can you do?"

He was a good friend of theirs back on the Arc and a respected leader, and they mistakenly believe he's still the same person. They don't understand how his experience with the Grounders has permanently turned him into an extremist, so they let him into meetings in the hopes that he'll come back around via osmosis. I think it's a very understandable mistake.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

He was a good friend of theirs back on the Arc and a respected leader, and they mistakenly believe he's still the same person. They don't understand how his experience with the Grounders has permanently turned him into an extremist, so they let him into meetings in the hopes that he'll come back around via osmosis. I think it's a very understandable mistake.

Yeah but he keeps straight up saying poo poo that Kane is turning a blind eye to. Doesn't he literally say "the only good grounder is a dead grounder"? He leads his people in a chant of "grounder-killers, one and all!", and his people are on such a different page that they literally assault grounders who were invited into Arkadia by Kane/Abby. It's one thing if they don't believe he's really a bad person, but it's another to not reign in his behavior. If any of the main characters from the last season were being smart at all they would recognize how dangerous the situation is.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

Also, since we haven't seen Jaha in 2 episodes, I assume we're up for an episode that's all about him. :barf:

Yea it would be nice to have a good episode after these last 2 :getin:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Snak posted:

We we haven't seen Jaha in 2 episodes, I assume we're up for an episode that's all about him. :barf:
your commitment to terrible opinions is breathtaking

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Snak posted:

Yeah but he keeps straight up saying poo poo that Kane is turning a blind eye to. Doesn't he literally say "the only good grounder is a dead grounder"? He leads his people in a chant of "grounder-killers, one and all!", and his people are on such a different page that they literally assault grounders who were invited into Arkadia by Kane/Abby. It's one thing if they don't believe he's really a bad person, but it's another to not reign in his behavior. If any of the main characters from the last season were being smart at all they would recognize how dangerous the situation is.

I think they do realize he is dangerous. They just can't do anything about it. Locking him up when he hasn't committed a crime isn't an option. And by the time he does, and they do, it's too late.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
Bellamy turned into an unstoppable ninja in Mt Weather. Maybe hes playing a deep game with Pike. That would make him less terrible and make sense out out of that coy "Trust me" at the gate. Maybe someone has already warned the grounders.

Thread needs a different title.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

FRINGE posted:

Bellamy turned into an unstoppable ninja in Mt Weather. Maybe hes playing a deep game with Pike. That would make him less terrible and make sense out out of that coy "Trust me" at the gate. Maybe someone has already warned the grounders.

Thread needs a different title.

I PMed X-O for a new title and it hasn't been changed yet.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Snak posted:

Abby and Kane don't really have much justification to provide Pike.

"These grounders are totally cool, trust us."
"They only killed about half of the 100 kids we sent down, and the other half are alive because Raven was able to rig the dropship's thrusters to incinerate a few hundred of their soldiers."
"We worked together for a few months against a common foe, but as soon as they got what they wanted, they bailed and left us to die very painful deaths - and that is the good grounder clan, the others hate our guts."
"But aside from that, Pike, you are wrong about the grounders, they are great people."

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"We are finally negotiating a long lasting peace that should hopefully put an end to the pointless bloodshed."
"You just got to our camp so why don't you chill the gently caress out"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah like literally any scene where they talk about it in a non-reactionary way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A long lasting peace none of them accept, except Indra.

• Locked thread