Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Isn't scaling heavily influenced by gear now in addition to base stats?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

Sogol posted:

Isn't scaling heavily influenced by gear now in addition to base stats?

Sure, just saying that the way scaling is implemented, it's biased away from damage. If you're level 10 and you go into Cyrodiil with minmaxed tank gear, you can be a v16 tank. But if you go in with minmaxed dps gear, you'll be (about) a v1 dps. That makes non-vet PvP slower paced (a good thing?) and punishes non-vets when they go into vet PvP (a bad thing). It's better than not scaling, of course, but it explains how with the current scaling system you can be a supertank in non-vet without access to monster sets.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Har, har. Game stopped working this morning; it'll act like it's launching, but it'll freeze before the opening sequence and I'll get the "display driver has been reset" error and the screen will just remain black. Was running just fine last night though, got in 2 pledges before logging for the night.

Uninstalled my drivers, the game launches fine (though very long loading screens). Re-installed my drivers afterwards (3 times actually, recent, old, and beta drivers) and still kept getting the error.

Tried running other games (XCOM 2, Skyrim, UNS4, Revengeance) and they all ran without any issues whatsoever.

Any suggestions on what could be the root cause of this (forums are useless since everyone there is using nvidia cards, lol)? I'm leaving my game reinstalling to try it again tonight when I get back.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm really enjoying the starting areas for my orc, so I think I'll just main him if guilds are cross faction. Could I get an invite on War Garbol?

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Har, har. Game stopped working this morning; it'll act like it's launching, but it'll freeze before the opening sequence and I'll get the "display driver has been reset" error and the screen will just remain black. Was running just fine last night though, got in 2 pledges before logging for the night.

Uninstalled my drivers, the game launches fine (though very long loading screens). Re-installed my drivers afterwards (3 times actually, recent, old, and beta drivers) and still kept getting the error.

Tried running other games (XCOM 2, Skyrim, UNS4, Revengeance) and they all ran without any issues whatsoever.

Any suggestions on what could be the root cause of this (forums are useless since everyone there is using nvidia cards, lol)? I'm leaving my game reinstalling to try it again tonight when I get back.

Sounds like somehow the gamefiles got corrupted. This was common in wow 1.02 when you had to watch the opening cutscene while the server list was populated. Doing both in a non-optimized manner tended to half the list generation and crash the program. Given how poo poo ZE is coding, I can totally see one little while( loop starting a stackdump.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

radiatinglines posted:

I'm really enjoying the starting areas for my orc, so I think I'll just main him if guilds are cross faction. Could I get an invite on War Garbol?

Invite sent.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Hal_2005 posted:

Sounds like somehow the gamefiles got corrupted. This was common in wow 1.02 when you had to watch the opening cutscene while the server list was populated. Doing both in a non-optimized manner tended to half the list generation and crash the program. Given how poo poo ZE is coding, I can totally see one little while( loop starting a stackdump.

Turns out the fix was to just run as administrator.

Guess I'll just have to hit Yes an extra time when launching it.

E: Spoke too soon apparently. I can enter my password in and log in, but it just hangs there and doesn't hit the character selection screen.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Feb 14, 2016

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Scyantific posted:

Turns out the fix was to just run as administrator.

Guess I'll just have to hit Yes an extra time when launching it.

E: Spoke too soon apparently. I can enter my password in and log in, but it just hangs there and doesn't hit the character selection screen.

Sucks to be on PC. Us PS4 master race, on the other hand...

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

JackBadass posted:

Sucks to be on PC. Us PS4 master race, on the other hand...

what's your psn? i've been playing a bunch lately but don't have (m)any ESO goons. add me: SuperFiveFive

MrTomnus
Oct 21, 2010

Malleus Maleficarum
So what happened to the Goons on the European servers? House Awful still exists but it has no active members, did everyone move to NA or create a new guild?

bone app the teeth
May 14, 2008

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

what's your psn? i've been playing a bunch lately but don't have (m)any ESO goons. add me: SuperFiveFive

Just bought the game, sent you an invite. Any other PS4 people?

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

MrTomnus posted:

So what happened to the Goons on the European servers? House Awful still exists but it has no active members, did everyone move to NA or create a new guild?

I'm not a Euro, so I can't speak, but given levels of activity I think it's just dead.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy

flare posted:

Just bought the game, sent you an invite. Any other PS4 people?

Just got this as a gift, psn midas38

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

JackBadass, same as here. I dumped the PS4 goon guild due to their inactivity, but I'm always around.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Ugh, great, they've added katanas...

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster

JackBadass posted:

Ugh, great, they've added katanas...

A fine old akaviri swordsmithing tradition

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Hit V1 on the magika NB healer last night. Gonna wrangle up some gear tonight.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

I still don't understand why they removed katanas from the akaviri motif since they were there since launch.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Aramek posted:

Hit V1 on the magika NB healer last night. Gonna wrangle up some gear tonight.

Too bad Magicka NB is getting a serious nerf through Funnel Health.

E:

Berke Negri posted:

I still don't understand why they removed katanas from the akaviri motif since they were there since launch.

They didn't remove them. Katanas are still available at the earlier tiers of Akaviri swords. The high tier materials just evolved from that style.

Which is good because gently caress katanas, Akaviri maces is where it's at.

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Feb 15, 2016

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

vug posted:

A fine old akaviri swordsmithing tradition

It's fine, they look fine, it makes sense, I just don't like the 15 year old anime nerds winning. It's like how when GTAV came out, all the Caladoody nerds were whining all over Rockstar's support board for first person mode (as well as every M38999572-whatever gun they saw in Black Ops). Rockstar caved on that, and it ended up being a fun novelty, but it just irks me when the whiners win. Even if I benefit.

I'm very petty.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

JackBadass posted:

It's fine, they look fine, it makes sense, I just don't like the 15 year old anime nerds winning. It's like how when GTAV came out, all the Caladoody nerds were whining all over Rockstar's support board for first person mode (as well as every M38999572-whatever gun they saw in Black Ops). Rockstar caved on that, and it ended up being a fun novelty, but it just irks me when the whiners win. Even if I benefit.

I'm very petty.

Katanas have always been a thing in elder scrolls though.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
But the real question is where are my keyblades?

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
It's weird playing Morrowind and encountering tantos, katanas, and wakizashis. Skyrim slimmed it down to a single model of katana, I think.

Mah immersion!

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!

Scyantific posted:

Too bad Magicka NB is getting a serious nerf through Funnel Health.

Isn't it just going to "and one other target" as opposed to two? Like, yeah, but, you cast it, like, every other second it feels. Awesome weave power.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
They're taking the boring way out and nerfing class heals to make the restoration staff the primary way to heal people and class abilities just adding flavour. I guess that's better than getting kicked from pugs all the time if you go healer and aren't a templar though

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Is there any point in becoming a Vampire for general PVE fun? I'm coming back to the game after playing a month at launch, and started up a Breton Magika Templar. I get that fire will be a crazy problem for me if I did it, but I wasn't sure if the other benefits were more than enough if I tossed Crowns at it for shits and giggles. I plan on PVPing someday, but right now I'm just taking it easy in game and it sounds like a fun option, but I'm wondering if it'll complicate things more than the boons if I'm not super into min-maxing at the moment.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
this is a bit of a niche question but is the bastion of the heartland set no longer purchasable? I don't see it at the elite pvp gear vendor.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Mortanis posted:

Being a vamp.

I vamped up my Breton magicka templar, and it's good for leveling but I'm ambivalent about it in endgame PvE. It's not the fire: +25% fire damage isn't that big of a deal for a Breton, you'll be near the hard cap for spell resist inside your rune focus. It's that to get the magicka regen (and potentially the damage reduction, which appears to be broken currently), you need to slot a skill. Elusive Mist is nice for leveling because it's a cheap source of Major Expedition for DKs and Templars. But for endgame PvE, you'll be slotting bats. And bats seems too expensive for what it does, even at stage 4. You're better off with Shooting Star and Dawnbreaker of Smiting for efficiency, even if you're not fighting daedra/undead.

I wouldn't be a vamp/active ww in PvP unless it's really important to you. Two Dawnbreakers of Smiting will do more than 50k damage to you, and that's before the dots kick in.

Lastly, don't buy a bite with crowns. You can get a free one from me (PC NA Ebonheart) or a random stranger. Or from those special bloodfiends in the fifth zone of your faction when it's a new moon, usually the other players will mention them if they're out.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 15, 2016

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Berke Negri posted:

Katanas have always been a thing in elder scrolls though.

Yes, but that's not why the majority of the whiners want it, they're just screaming, "BUT I WANT TO BE ANIME! THIS GAME loving SUCKS!"

Like I said, it makes sense and it's by no means bad, I guess I just don't like the reason it was added, if that makes sense.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Aramek posted:

Isn't it just going to "and one other target" as opposed to two? Like, yeah, but, you cast it, like, every other second it feels. Awesome weave power.

That's my feeling as well. You get 8-9 chances to reapply the buff before it rolls off instead of 16-18. Unless you're in a trial or PvP, it seems like you'd only notice the change right at the start of a battle. After a few seconds, it should play the same, but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Also, Thieves' Guild might actually improve funnel, because dots will overwrite lower-damage versions of the same dot. If the same is true of healing, funnel will always crit initially (~25% more healing) and playing with multiple magicka nightblades will stop being a problem (and could actually improve that start-up period).

valuum
Sep 3, 2003
ø
Many heroes lept to their deaths for the hand of the fair maiden~~

Only registered members can see post attachments!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I added ESO as a non-steam game through the "add non-steam game" wizard built into steam, which autodetected it. When I launch the game through my steam shortcut, it freezes on the intro cinematic and I have to kill the ESO task to close it. Anyone else encounter this problem and come up with a solution? I'd like to try it out with my steam controller, since it works so well from what I've seen with a PS3 controller.

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 16, 2016

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

valuum posted:

Many heroes lept to their deaths for the hand of the fair maiden~~

Worth it! :v:
Though it's weird that the devs put such a tiny area to land in instead of allowing you to land anywhere below for the achievement as long as you survived the fall.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

radiatinglines posted:

I added ESO as a non-steam game through the "add non-steam game" wizard built into steam, which autodetected it. When I launch the game through my steam shortcut, it freezes on the intro cinematic and I have to kill the ESO task to close it. Anyone else encounter this problem and come up with a solution? I'd like to try it out with my steam controller, since it works so well from what I've seen with a PS3 controller.

Try setting it to run as an administrator.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Scyantific posted:

Try setting it to run as an administrator.

Steam? I can't set applications to always run as admin on windows 10.

Edit: this time I got a windows error saying my graphics driver hosed up, sigh. I've tried setting the game to full screen and windowed full screen. Desktop and game are set to native res.

Edit2: solved by editing the usersettings.ini in documents/elder scrolls online/live:

changed GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D11" to GraphicsDriver.7 "D3D9"

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 16, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

There's your problem right there. Game is notoriously whiny about windows 10. And you had the exact same problem I did this weekend.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

They called the 13th Windows Windows 10.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

JackBadass posted:

They called the 13th Windows Windows 10.

Do expect anything different from a company that calls the third Xbox the Xbox One?

Edit: Where are getting 13 from? I can't even get to 10 unless I get creative.

jabro fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Feb 16, 2016

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

jabro posted:

Do expect anything different from a company that calls the third Xbox the Xbox One?

Edit: Where are getting 13 from? I can't even get to 10 unless I get creative.

Windows 1
Windows 2
Windows 3
Windows NT
Windows for Workgroups
Windows 95
Windows 2000
Windows ME
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8