Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Harime Nui posted:

I forget, did they explicitly say Hanzo was descended from the dead samurai they found in that cave? I seem to recall he spots a mon or something on the armor and says something like "this man was my ancestor," with the implication the Predators follow certain human bloodlines to look for worthy opponents but this could be an elaborate headcanon that's grown into a fake memory I guess?
I personally never made that connection, but it's also been a while since I watched the movie.

Snowman_McK posted:

That would have been way, way worse. So well done.
I didn't say better, just more deliberate. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m41NA54o9n8

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ-q9SFDd-Y

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Xenomrph posted:

I personally never made that connection, but it's also been a while since I watched the movie.

I may have assumed it just because Hanzo is a very famous Samurai name. :v:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean...look who produced it.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
So now we know what eventually happened to The Bride and El Mariachi.... :rip:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Harime Nui posted:

I may have assumed it just because Hanzo is a very famous Samurai name. :v:
It's kind of a low-hanging-fruit if you're gonna give your honorable yakuza/samurai character the most stereotypical name possible.

Having said that I don't think they actually say his name in the movie, but that's true of several of the characters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

It's kind of a low-hanging-fruit if you're gonna give your honorable yakuza/samurai character the most stereotypical name possible.

Having said that I don't think they actually say his name in the movie, but that's true of several of the characters.

It's a reference to Hattori Hanzo. From Kill Bill.

The producer is good friends with the director of that picture, if you recall.

Also, the only characters named in the film are Nikoli, Royce and Isabelle.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Hattori Hanzo is a way older reference than Kill Bill.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sure. But considering the players involved, you know....

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

Sure. But considering the players involved, you know....

It would honestly not surprise me if Rodriguez thought Tarantino invented that name.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I'm sure it's very specifically a joke about the Predator being no match for Hanzo('s) steel. Also the guy in Kill Bill who plays Hattori Hanzo is literally playing the descendant of Hattori Hanzo the 16th-century ninja, who in a famous TV series in the 70s was portrayed by that same actor. Layered referencing!

I'm going to assume this puts Predators in the same universe as El Mariachi/Kill Bill/From Dusk Till Dawn tho.

Maybe there's just one really unlucky family of dudes in Mexico who all look like Danny Trejo. One got turned into a vampire, one got abducted by aliens, and one got strangled by Mickey Rourke. :v:

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 14, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

It would honestly not surprise me if Rodriguez thought Tarantino invented that name.

lol.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Predator was a great movie

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Predator was a great movie

Predator is amazing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

It's a reference to Hattori Hanzo. From Kill Bill.

The producer is good friends with the director of that picture, if you recall.
I honestly never made that connection. :saddowns:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

How did Hattori Hanzo get his swords so drat sharp? (Literally just watched Kill Bill like 5 minutes ago come at me).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Things can be a subversion/homage of more than one thing at a time.

Here, I'll describe a scene from a Predator movie:

The silent warrior character willingly stays behind to face down the alien monster in honorable single combat using bladed weapons.

Which movie did I just describe?

The Mummy Returns, famed for how it was cunningly subverted in the film Predators

Harime Nui posted:

I forget, did they explicitly say Hanzo was descended from the dead samurai they found in that cave? I seem to recall he spots a mon or something on the armor and says something like "this man was my ancestor," with the implication the Predators follow certain human bloodlines to look for worthy opponents but this could be an elaborate headcanon that's grown into a fake memory I guess?

e: Also now that I'm thinking about it, wasn't the woman supposed to be Bolivian Army but got changed to being IDF at the last moment for... some reason? Hence the line about jungles that makes absolutely no sense. (I mean, there are no jungles in Bolivia either but at least that puts her on the right continent?)

They do not. Hanzo only has two lines. "I talk too much" while showing how he's missing some digits after another character comments on how he doesn't talk too much. The other is "This is very old" while looking at the samurai equipment in the wrecked ship. I had no idea that other character was originally meant to be Bolivian, weird change.

I remember Ebert's review of Predators, I think like half the review was just about how the Predator bloodhound alien dogs were dumb as poo poo because their tusks stuck like two feet straight out, so how the hell do they move in a way to get food into their mouths?

oldpainless posted:

Predator is a great movie

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Neo Rasa posted:

They do not. Hanzo only has two lines. "I talk too much" while showing how he's missing some digits after another character comments on how he doesn't talk too much. The other is "This is very old" while looking at the samurai equipment in the wrecked ship. I had no idea that other character was originally meant to be Bolivian, weird change.

I remember Ebert's review of Predators, I think like half the review was just about how the Predator bloodhound alien dogs were dumb as poo poo because their tusks stuck like two feet straight out, so how the hell do they move in a way to get food into their mouths?

Hunh. I guess I completely invented that whole thing. :psyduck:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I read the predators script a year before the movie came out and the sniper was a shape shifting alien and Arnold's character steps out of predator ship smoking a cigar at the end and thinking the whole thing was complete dogshit then the movie came out and it was to my horror the same exact poo poo I read minus those two things.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Predators was fine. It was not as weirdly terrible/interesting as AVP2 and it wasn't as great as Predator. 'Fine' isn't glowing praise, but it's not damning either. The movie is just above average quality. It's one of those movies where I can imagine a different cut being a much better film.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

I don't consider Alien 3 to be a bad movie, but I don't think I ever really accepted the premise because I never believed that Ripley's character arc required a third act. The final scene of her and Newt sleeping together in the pod at the conclusion of Aliens was a perfect ending for the character in a better movie, so the entirety of Alien 3 has always felt like a ponderous and unnecessary epilogue to me. I feel like the Alien series in general has kind of lost its way by repeatedly and tortuously returning to the Ripley character, although I guess the non-Ripley Alien properties haven't fared much better, on balance.

I haven't seen the cut, but does it take things out too?

Because I can't take the movie seriously when it includes two doofuses running from the alien hitting each other in a hallway then standing around making jokes until they die or half the other silly poo poo in that movie.

They should have just worked on Gibson's script. Setting the whole thing around Bishop & Hicks was inspired.

Harime Nui posted:

Also the guy in Kill Bill who plays Hattori Hanzo is literally playing the descendant of Hattori Hanzo the 16th-century ninja, who in a famous TV series in the 70s was portrayed by that same actor.

Also of video game fame

To a kneeling student:
Act like a volcano, and blow!

Samurai Showdown has the best bad English conversion

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 15, 2016

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.
One thing I give Predators is that it make the pedators themselves unpredictable and dangerous again. For some reason everything after Predator 2 decided to turn them into noble space samurai who are obsessed with honor and space bushido. The monster in the original Predator had a vague sense of sportsmanship, but it was just an intergalactic big game hunter. It literally waited until the moment it knew it could make a kill without any danger to itself before striking.

The most ironic part is that the entire "it won't kill an unarmed person because there's no sport" idea is that Schwarzenegger's character is assuming that's the reason it didn't kill the rebel woman. It could have very well been that the space game warden said human females weren't in season.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Its a miracle Predator even made it to fruition, let alone be such a great movie. Filming in Mexico was arduous and food sickness hit the crew hard. It was John McTiernan's first studio film so he was unproven and watched by the studio. Sonny Landham was not easy to work with and had to be watched constantly. You had Jean Claude Van Damme assaulting stunt men and being a diva and he dropped out/got fired during filming and the original Predator concept was apparently loving terrible. The iconic design was after McTiernan asked Stan Winston for help who then got help from James Cameron.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

oldpainless posted:

Its a miracle Predator even made it to fruition, let alone be such a great movie. Filming in Mexico was arduous and food sickness hit the crew hard. It was John McTiernan's first studio film so he was unproven and watched by the studio. Sonny Landham was not easy to work with and had to be watched constantly. You had Jean Claude Van Damme assaulting stunt men and being a diva and he dropped out/got fired during filming and the original Predator concept was apparently loving terrible. The iconic design was after McTiernan asked Stan Winston for help who then got help from James Cameron.

This is totally true about Van Damme and the costume. If they stuck with him and it Predator would be like Forbidden World/Mutant levels of bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1GfUoB0kog

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Harime Nui posted:

So now we know what eventually happened to The Bride and El Mariachi.... :rip:

That would've been funny if they came across a guitar case full of guns in Lawrence Fishburne's weapon's cache.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

oldpainless posted:

Jean Claude Van Damme wasn't the predator.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Tenzarin posted:

Jean Claude Van Damme wasn't the predator.
He was originally, prior to Stan Winston completely redesigning the Predator costume. There's test footage of Van Damme in the early suit.

Another fun fact: the Predator's clicks, growls, and roars were performed by Peter "Optimus Prime" Cullen.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Xenomrph posted:

He was originally, prior to Stan Winston completely redesigning the Predator costume. There's test footage of Van Damme in the early suit.

Another fun fact: the Predator's clicks, growls, and roars were performed by Peter "Optimus Prime" Cullen.

Huh, I'd have guessed Frank Welker based on "animal sounds"

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Wild T posted:

One thing I give Predators is that it make the pedators themselves unpredictable and dangerous again. For some reason everything after Predator 2 decided to turn them into noble space samurai who are obsessed with honor and space bushido. The monster in the original Predator had a vague sense of sportsmanship, but it was just an intergalactic big game hunter. It literally waited until the moment it knew it could make a kill without any danger to itself before striking.

The most ironic part is that the entire "it won't kill an unarmed person because there's no sport" idea is that Schwarzenegger's character is assuming that's the reason it didn't kill the rebel woman. It could have very well been that the space game warden said human females weren't in season.

Agreed. It was cool the first time in Predator 2 but by now "Predator admires human's Burning Spirit, spares/teams up with them" is such a lame EU cliche. The thing I love about the Predator in the first one is he basically triggers his bomb and then makes sure Dutch knows what's about to happen, and basically goes "nyeh nyeh nyeh you're gonna die anyway!" because he's such a sore loser.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I imagine Predators just have a regular society back home and much like with humans, only the absolute worst examples of their species have the funds and interest travel across the galaxy just to go trophy hunting. Like the same sort of scum that travel off to Africa to hunt lions, or all the Germans who come to BC to shoot bears (generally illegally).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Harime Nui posted:

Agreed. It was cool the first time in Predator 2 but by now "Predator admires human's Burning Spirit, spares/teams up with them" is such a lame EU cliche. The thing I love about the Predator in the first one is he basically triggers his bomb and then makes sure Dutch knows what's about to happen, and basically goes "nyeh nyeh nyeh you're gonna die anyway!" because he's such a sore loser.
To be entirely fair, the "admirable team up" happens 3 times across the entire franchise (once in the first comic series, once in the first AvP movie, and once in the Konami AvP arcade game). Beyond that there's 3 "begrudging/all other options exhaused team ups" (one in 'Predators', and two more in the comics)

That was one of the most entertaining things about the Predator in AvPR, he flat out didn't give a gently caress about the humans caught in the crossfire. The unrated version of the movie even has another scene or two where he terminates some humans just because they're in his way.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
The Konami game is still the best AvP thing made for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Xgff_VC8bI

It's time to hunt! :black101:

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Just for fact-checking's sake, the arcade game was made by Capcom, not Konami. I know turning Alien Vs Predator into a multiplayer beat-em-up is more of a Konami thing to do, so I understand the confusion. It would have been more like Capcom to turn it into a one-on-one fighting game and then a year later introduce Alien Vs Predator Vs Street Fighter.

You get the feeling Capcom could have picked up the Seinfeld license and turn it into a fighting game because what the hell else are they going to make. Likewise Konami had The Simpsons and made a multiplayer beat-em-up out of it because, well, what the hell else are they going to make?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Awp my bad. What I remember about it is the game was in a movie theater lobby across town back in the late 90s/early 2000s. I used to buy my ticket an hour early so I could waste time on that fucker and I never got past level 2 :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lizardman posted:

Just for fact-checking's sake, the arcade game was made by Capcom, not Konami. I know turning Alien Vs Predator into a multiplayer beat-em-up is more of a Konami thing to do, so I understand the confusion. It would have been more like Capcom to turn it into a one-on-one fighting game and then a year later introduce Alien Vs Predator Vs Street Fighter.

You get the feeling Capcom could have picked up the Seinfeld license and turn it into a fighting game because what the hell else are they going to make. Likewise Konami had The Simpsons and made a multiplayer beat-em-up out of it because, well, what the hell else are they going to make?

Capcom actually did a lot of beat 'em ups. They're responsible for FInal Fight, the really excellent Dungeons and Dragons beat 'em ups, Captain Commando, Knight of the Round, X-Men for the SNES, crazy stuff like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs... for a good chunk of time beat 'em ups were their thing.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Allow me to go on a big teary rant about the death of mini-arcades in theaters and pizza parlors (and I guess corner markets but really those were always scary as poo poo)

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
^^ You can still find random little arcade corners at multiplexes at least.

ImpAtom posted:

Capcom actually did a lot of beat 'em ups. They're responsible for FInal Fight, the really excellent Dungeons and Dragons beat 'em ups, Captain Commando, Knight of the Round, X-Men for the SNES, crazy stuff like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs... for a good chunk of time beat 'em ups were their thing.

Haha yep, you're right. I just have this stereotype in my head of Capcom turning any random license into a fighting game (at the time their X-men game seemed a little odd to me, like why are Cyclops and Storm fighting each other?) and Konami doing the same with beat-em-ups (again, The Simpsons?!). Also Capcom's arcade X-Men game being a fighting game and Konami's arcade X-men game being a beat-em-up help reinforce the notion.

Anyways, more back on topic, I forgot all about the Shane Black Predator movie. Apparently it has "The Predator" for a title?

EDIT: Errr, forgot this is an Alien thread (and specifically an Alien 3 thread at that) so a new Predator movie isn't really THAT on topic...

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Eh this has been the catch-all Alien/Predator/AvP/Prometheus thread for a while, at least until we get more substantial movie news that warrants splitting off into another thread.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
On topic huh? Well,

I've heard two stories about Ridley Scott that seem contradictory to me. There was a rumor making the rounds for a couple months after Prometheus came out that Sir Ridley never really had any interest in returning to the Alien franchise----what he wanted to do was make a movie about Ancient Aliens (that kind of Chariots of the Gods stuff being a personal fascination for him) and to get Fox to finance it he talked up the concept to them as being "an Alien prequel" while actually marginalizing the presence of the Alien mythos in the movie itself as much as possible. Then on the other hand more recently it was rumored(?) that Ridley used his pull at Fox to shut down or "postpone (with an implied indefinitely)" Neill Blomkamp's Alien movie----and this was when his Prometheus sequel (which as I understood was initially just titled Paradise) became "the next Alien movie" (with a title change to Alien: Covenant). Backing this up I've also heard Ridley was actually never happy with James Cameron's whole take on the franchise or his addition of the Queen aliens and hives, and won't even consider Aliens 'canon' to his version. So, uh.... does it seem odd to anyone else Ridley Scott might have 'returned' to the alien franchise back in 2010 only as a screen for the story he really wanted to write but seems so highly protective/territorial of it now? Do you think once he got back in the saddle he started to change his mind? Do you think he really believes in ancient astronauts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
...didn't they just push back Blomkamp's to 2018 because Ridley wanted to go ahead and make Prometheus 2, and Fox didn't want to have two competing movies in the same franchise in the same year?