Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

So we've tried a gun control thread to contain all this, should we move to a gun control sub forum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

skeet decorator posted:

Yes it is absolutely a post hoc rationalization when there are tons of other factors and you haven't posted any evidence to support your position. In fact I'm willing to make the argument that Dems pushing welfare reform and all but abandoning its minority base in 1992 had a much larger affect on them losing subsequent elections than gun control. In fact other people have made the same argument, and there is actually data to back up that argument:

Oh, and you do know that gun control was part of Clinton's platform leading up to the 1992 election right? Do you have an explanation for why it tanked the Dems in 1994 but won them the election two years prior?

Except that the democratic party actually did better with minorities in 1994 then 1990, gently caress the difference was with white males. The 1994 election was where the term "angry white males" to describe a voting block comes from. Gun control wasn't the sole driving issue but it was a major contributor to the culture war bullshit that drove that election. It's also kind of amusing you say "union members" since union members are the primary gun owning demographic in the Democratic party.

Helsing posted:

It kind of is when there were so many other unusual factors playing into the 94 election including a failed attempt to implement universal healthcare. The preceding period had also seen a Democratic President going against a large part of his voter base, including key constituents like labor unions, to push for the implementation of NAFTA, something many Democratic representatives in the House were against. Tom Foley, Speaker of the House at the time, famously went against his own colleagues and sided with Clinton, which probably contributed to his unprecedented defeat the next year when he became the first House Leader to be defeated in a re-election campaign since 1862.

There are less spurious ways to support your case. A few Democrats like Bill Clinton have actually mused about whether gun control cost them that election. I think the reason Clinton would argue that is really because it helps cover up the damage he and the DLC did to the party by largely abandoning key Democratic voter groups like African Americans and trade unionists. But at least if you were bringing up Clinton's statements then at least we'd be having a debate with some kind of evidence attached to it instead of some very tenuous grasping at straws.

I'll add to this that it's very interesting how DLC New Democrats and Gun Owners can find a common cause in this particular area: they might be on different sides of the issue, but both groups really want to make the 1994 election somehow have an explanation other than Bill Clinton's realignment of the party toward the right.

Yeah but the counter argument is that since perception massively trumps reality here the idea that gun nuts will be less motivated to vote based on something the Democrats say or do in the real world is dubious at best. There are already huge numbers of people convinced, contrary to any evidence, that the government is on the verge of outlawing and confiscating guns. The idea that the Democrats could put out a press release saying "we're not going to touch guns" and that this would somehow help them electorally just doesn't have much support whatever way you want to slice it.

If you want to just argue that you should be allowed to have your guns go ahead. I do not understand this stubborn and almost farcical conviction so many of ya'll have that this particular issue is super important for deciding national elections. Seems more like an existential cry asserting your importance than an actual reasoned political position.

Seriously? "someone had an opinion" is the evidence you were looking for? Cause Clinton has been very openly arguing exactly the same thing I am, and the Democratic leadership (as well as Clinton and Lieberman) believed gun control lost them the 2000 election as well:

Bill Clinton posted:

All these polls that you see saying the public is for us on all these issues — they are meaningless if they’re not voting issues

http://www.outsidethebeltway.com/bill-clinton-warns-democrats-against-overreaching-on-gun-debate/

Salon.com posted:

As Franklin Foer reported in the New Republic, “The hand-wringing began just as the Supreme Court awarded Florida’s electoral votes to George W. Bush.” Early in December, by Foer’s telling, then-House Minority Leader Dick Gephardt, D-Mo., summoned House Democrats to his Capitol office, 20 at a time, and gave a sales presentation. Pollster Mark Gersh pointed to charts and told the Democrats they’d lost because culture war issues, especially gun control, had distracted voters. Many apparently went away convinced.

By the middle of 2001, ditching gun control had become conventional wisdom among centrist Democrats. Sen. Zell Miller, D-Ga., said Al Gore had talked about it too much. Sen. Joe Lieberman of Connecticut, Gore’s running mate, thought gun control had cost the Democratic ticket “a number of voters who on almost every other issue realized they’d be better off with Al Gore.” Terry McAuliffe, head of the Democratic National Committee, in particular wanted his party to drop the issue. In a June 2001 article discussing McAuliffe’s strategy, Roger Simon cited a strong correlation between gun ownership and voting for Bush, as demonstrated by exit poll stats.

http://www.salon.com/2007/04/18/dems_and_guns/

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Jarmak posted:

Except that the democratic party actually did better with minorities in 1994 then 1990, gently caress the difference was with white males. The 1994 election was where the term "angry white males" to describe a voting block comes from. Gun control wasn't the sole driving issue but it was a major contributor to the culture war bullshit that drove that election. It's also kind of amusing you say "union members" since union members are the primary gun owning demographic in the Democratic party.

I didn't say anything about unions? You're fitting the narrative to match your ideology instead of looking at actual data. Sure Dems did better with minorities in 1994 than 1990, but that doesn't disprove the trend of minority turnout decreasing after 1992:

1992 had a far higher voter turnout amongst "angry white males" yet the Dems still won with a platform that included gun control. Now please shut the gently caress up about guns and make a real suggestion for winning back the house.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

skeet decorator posted:

I didn't say anything about unions? You're fitting the narrative to match your ideology instead of looking at actual data. Sure Dems did better with minorities in 1994 than 1990, but that doesn't disprove the trend of minority turnout decreasing after 1992:

1992 had a far higher voter turnout amongst "angry white males" yet the Dems still won with a platform that included gun control. Now please shut the gently caress up about guns and make a real suggestion for winning back the house.

Wait are you simultaneous arguing that proportional minority turnout dropped after 1992 and that white turnout was higher in 1992 then in 1994? Also good job grabbing numbers of only presidential election years to make a point about midterm elections, that makes lots of sense.

The union member comment was in regard to Helsing's post, I put it in the wrong place.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

gun gun gun gun gun gun gun gun gun gun GUN

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Flowers For Algeria posted:

gun gun gun gun gun gun gun gun gun gun GUN

Why do you consistently post in threads about American politics when your contribution is rarely more than smarmy condescension? Is your life that devoid of meaning?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

gobbagool posted:

Why do you consistently post in threads about American politics when your contribution is rarely more than smarmy condescension? Is your life that devoid of meaning?

Well he is French......

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Jarmak posted:

Wait are you simultaneous arguing that proportional minority turnout dropped after 1992 and that white turnout was higher in 1992 then in 1994? Also good job grabbing numbers of only presidential election years to make a point about midterm elections, that makes lots of sense.

The union member comment was in regard to Helsing's post, I put it in the wrong place.

No I'm not arguing that. I said nothing about the proportion of white voters, merely that in absolute numbers there were more white voters in 1992 than 1994. And you're right I suppose we are talking about midterm elections. So have a look at this:

Oh hey, it looks like between the mid to late 80s to mid 90s minority voter turnout drastically decreased while white voter turnout remain relatively flat. That sounds remarkably like what I've been saying! Good job still not posting any evidence to back up your argument!

skeet decorator posted:

Support for gun control is strong among black and hispanic Dems, both groups which have historically low voter turn out. Both groups are poised to form the largest voting bloc over the next few decades. There is evidence to suggest that when Dem's ignore their minority base they lose elections, because the minority voters simply don't vote (see 1994 midterms). You have not presented a single piece of evidence to suggest that dropping gun control from the platform will prevent more Republican voter turnout than it will discourage minority Dems from turning out.

Still waiting... In the mean time, does anyone have ideas that don't involve guns?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

skeet decorator posted:

No I get what you're arguing for, what I don't understand, and what I have yet to see is any evidence whatsoever that supports your arguments. Just so you're clear on what I'm actually arguing. Support for gun control is strong among black and hispanic Dems, both groups which have historically low voter turn out. Both groups are poised to form the largest voting bloc over the next few decades. There is evidence to suggest that when Dem's ignore their minority base they lose elections, because the minority voters simply don't vote (see 1994 midterms). You have not presented a single piece of evidence to suggest that dropping gun control from the platform will prevent more Republican voter turnout than it will discourage minority Dems from turning out.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Did the Colorado recalls not happen in your timeline?

It's entirely possible Hispanics for example continue to be in favor of gun control but you're making a similar assumption about future politics as anti-immigration types. At one time the Irish were an immigrant demo who were totally going to destroy American values... and then they became more successful and accepted. Now they're considered white by everyone in America. Political views aren't racially inherited and change based on how people (and post 1st-gen immigrants especially) feel they're doing over time. I shouldn't have to tell you this.

gently caress this poo poo is looping on itself. Look, if you're positive that minorities really are going to make or break elections for you on gun control, AWBs won't cut it because long guns aren't what's killing them. It'll have to be assault weaponhandgun bans to address that situation and good job creating tons of new highly motivated Republican voters, white and not white, in that case.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

blowfish posted:

The very fact that basically all Republicans say they're pro gun control yet the Republican party fails to include "we're doing gun control The American Way, unlike those sissy pinko democrats :bahgawd:" as a major point in its programme tells you that your poll is meaningless.

The problem with driving turnout by pushing conspiracy theories and telling the angriest people that all their paranoid fantasies of jackbooted federal troops coming to take away their country are true is that primary elections are very very low turnout, so someone can primary you and say you're a RINO who has sold out to Obama and is disarming patriots for him. And it works, because thanks to your strategy the only people voting in primaries are tinfoil "Jade Helm is a plot by our evil troops to steal our freedoms and we have to stop it, don't forget to support our troops they defend our freedoms :freep:" types. And that's why my state's lieutenant governor is a literal crazy person: in a red state with 13,000,000 registered voters, 750,000 turned out to vote and the incumbent GOP establishment Lt Gov lost by 30 points, and that's why the governor is pretending to be a crazy person so the same doesn't happen to him in 2018.

Also Republicans have no reason to do that anyway, gun manufacturers don't want it because America is so awash in guns that everyone who wants one mostly has one, and the only way to drive sales now is to convince gun owners to stock up on ever more guns, and while your average Republican supports background checks they're not going to vote Democrat to get them because they're not single-issue voters.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

skeet decorator posted:

No I'm not arguing that. I said nothing about the proportion of white voters, merely that in absolute numbers there were more white voters in 1992 than 1994. And you're right I suppose we are talking about midterm elections. So have a look at this:

Oh hey, it looks like between the mid to late 80s to mid 90s minority voter turnout drastically decreased while white voter turnout remain relatively flat. That sounds remarkably like what I've been saying! Good job still not posting any evidence to back up your argument!

Still waiting... In the mean time, does anyone have ideas that don't involve guns?

Census data says everyone's turnout was relatively flat:

https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/socdemo/voting/publications/p20/1994/htables.html

Also I've put up plenty of evidence, more then you have at least, you just don't like it.

Could you please tell me what sort of evidence you won't hand wave away? "Why someone lost an election 20 years ago" isn't exactly something you can test in a lab, it's something people usually debate with logical inference.

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 16, 2016

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

Proposition Joe posted:

How can the Democratic Party win back the house?

The Democratic Party? You mean the political party that wins when voter turnout is high and has been having trouble energizing their base because of their bitter disappointment in the party establishment's inability to fight for important left wing causes?

Clearly the solution is to stop fighting for popular policies and wedge issues.

Seriously though, especially considering that Democratic candidates for the house do get more votes than their Republican counterparts, the main issues with the House and Senate are institutional. The House and Senate bias rural areas which favor the Republican party, so if the Democrats want more wiggle room (or a fair democratic system) then electoral and structural reform is necessary. In the meantime, they need to energize their base as much as possible, which means racing to the left on all issues. This is mainly the case in regards to economic issues but social issues (like, I don't know gun control) are important as well. If the Democratic party is really competent, then a left wing economic message could swing those poor rural voters that are traditional Republican voters and turn the whole gerrymandered system upside down.

From a way back and not about guns but I agree with this. I really think the democrats should be pushing for a GMI. I have family in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and it's always such depressing place where no one has any money or jobs, if they frame a GMI as letting people who like living there be able to support themselves and not have to abandon the towns they grew up in and love because there's no more copper or whatever I could see them making inroads in rural areas as well as energizing their younger base.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

The Insect Court posted:

No. Arguing with gun nuts is like arguing with creationists, you are never going to change their 'minds' because their positions are not based on the rational analysis of evidence. At least one poll has been posted that shows that gun control is a winning issue, the usual bad faith/insane arguments against it were thrown against the wall to see if any would stick. Bonus question: If someone posted a poll showing strong support for a generic loosening of gun laws, how many of the gun nuts would reject it because it was not specific enough in its wording?

Seriously.

Show me some statistics that make an AWB 'sensible', since I can't seem to find anything beyond 'ivory tower Dems are terrified of scary black plastic rifles'.

The numbers don't support it.

smg77 posted:

Barring some magic supreme court ruling that fixes gerrymandering this is the only solution. As usual all the gunchat is a distraction.

That's the whole point of this argument. The whole issue is poison, as seen here with the vicious infighting among a mostly staunchly Dem crowd, with effectively zero chance of doing anyone but the opposition any good or achieving its stated goals of reducing homicides.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Feb 16, 2016

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Seriously.

Show me some statistics that make an AWB 'sensible', since I can't seem to find anything beyond 'ivory tower Dems are terrified of scary black plastic rifles'.

The numbers don't support it.

That's the whole point of this argument. The whole issue is poison, as seen here with the vicious infighting among a mostly staunchly Dem crowd, with effectively zero chance of doing anyone but the opposition any good or achieving its stated goals of reducing homicides.

Do you have any evidence that Democrats would control the house if they decided to abandon their base on this issue and all become devout anti-regulation advocates?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

Do you have any evidence that Democrats would control the house if they decided to abandon their base on this issue and all become devout anti-regulation advocates?

Do you have any evidence that their base supports any of their chosen policy beyond the mostly-bipartisan suggestion of background checks, in any but the vaguest terms?

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

skeet decorator posted:

Sure. They should work building diversity across the different subcultures in the US. Right now, the "left"/"right" division in politics -- especially in terms of normal citizen participation -- seems to mirror a cultural split.

Tell me that a blogger has a Prius, a preference for Pho over Applebee's, and a tendency to specify 'American Football' and I'll bet that they lean democratic. Tell me that another blogger has a Pickup Truck, considers Chinese-takeout to be exotic, and actively watches professional wrestling, and I'll bet that they lean to the right.

There are a number of ways that this came to be. Michael Church's essay on social class might be a good start.

But the end result is that democratic policies seem to come packaged with a bunch of irrelevant cultural trappings.

The democrats should fix this by looking for, and supporting, bloggers or activists who're coming from outside the democratic cultural bubble.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Trabisnikof posted:

They had more seats when the Blue Dogs existed, yes, excellent point. Part of their disappearance was going to happen in the Tea Party wave no matter what, I'll give you that, but the others didn't get much support from those living stereotypes who do exist in NYC/San Fran.

I really question whether the minorities voting for gun control strategy will ever break even. If they're poor, they're going to vote less than your progun competition. If they become better off and vote more, violence will also go down and support for gun control unsurprisingly bears relation to the violence rate.

BitcoinRockefeller posted:

From a way back and not about guns but I agree with this. I really think the democrats should be pushing for a GMI. I have family in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan and it's always such depressing place where no one has any money or jobs, if they frame a GMI as letting people who like living there be able to support themselves and not have to abandon the towns they grew up in and love because there's no more copper or whatever I could see them making inroads in rural areas as well as energizing their younger base.

Yep, you could peel off what used to be Goldwater conservatives (e.g. modern independents who aren't consumed by WELFARE QUEENS GETTIN' MAH DOLLAH! :bahgawd:). You can argue that it's going to be fiscally conservative and you could majorly simplify the 1,001 welfare agencies and their budgets if you had a negative tax or whatever you want to call it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

They could probably start with where they lost the trade unions, and why the unions are so much diminished in scope and strength over their previous selves.

Making the Democratic party's image that of the party supporting blue-collar labor and fair wages would probably be a strong step. It would require the party leadership actually give them more than token nods while pursuing their own pet agendas, though.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Maybe union members have high levels of gun ownership. This still ignores the fact that most gun owners favor stricter gun laws

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Chomskyan posted:

Maybe union members have high levels of gun ownership. This still ignores the fact that most gun owners favor stricter gun laws

Cites or it didn't happen.

Mind you, I can psychically predict that your cite is once again another so vague as to be completely useless survey running questions like 'do you think it should be harder for criminals to get guns illegally'.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

"Hey bud, I know I never cite any evidence in defense of my views, but you better provide evidence for yours!"

"Also scientific polls don't count"

I imagine you'll just ignore the evidence like you always do but here

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Ever notice how when there's a gun-control thread, pro-gun posters whine about the focus being on guns rather than more important issues like healthcare? How come when we have a thread that doesn't have to be about guns, they insist on making the discussion about guns rather than those other, more important issues?

Hmm

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Holy poo poo, you actually posted a poll that directly addressed policy. Cudos to you!

I mean, half of it is just an affirmation, as it is already law, and I'd be very curious as to what the respondents to the other half think currently stands as far as firearm sales without a run through the NICS system. But it's definitely an improvement!

18 U.S.C. § 922(g)(9) : "[i]t shall be unlawful for any person . . . who has been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence . . . to possess in or affecting commerce any firearm or ammunition."

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

Ever notice how when there's a gun-control thread, pro-gun posters whine about the focus being on guns rather than more important issues like healthcare? How come when we have a thread that doesn't have to be about guns, they insist on making the discussion about guns rather than those other, more important issues?

Hmm

I have tried a few times myself, but you should probably go back to page 1 and see that like everyone was in agreement on not pushing gun control and were discussing other things. Then a few pro-control posters poo poo their pants about their culture war issue not getting enough respect and here we are.

Chomskyan posted:

"Hey bud, I know I never cite any evidence in defense of my views, but you better provide evidence for yours!"

"Also scientific polls don't count"

I imagine you'll just ignore the evidence like you always do but here

Relatively minimal obstacles by world standards overall, although depending on how you go about the former I think you may run into some due process issues although that doesn't have to be the case. It's too bad for Dems national credibility that deep blue states don't just go for these laws and avoid AWBs! I asked early on and I'll ask again, if Republicans told you tomorrow that they were done chasing abortion bans and really just are thinking of the mother's health with a few minor checks beforehand, would you trust them automatically or would you check to see what laws they're passing/repealing in states where they have a supermajority?

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 16, 2016

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

DeusExMachinima posted:

those living stereotypes who do exist in NYC/San Fran.

:frogon:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Democratic politicians don't support gun regulation because of election calculus as much as because democrats believe in gun regulation and doubly so for activists. It gets included in state platforms not to woo minorities, but because activists and the establishment both support it in the platform committees.

Attacking this issue as if it was only political ignores the real emotional depth to this topic in the Democratic Party.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

I asked early on and I'll ask again, if Republicans told you tomorrow that they were done chasing abortion bans and really just are thinking of the mother's health with a few minor checks beforehand, would you trust them automatically or would you check to see what laws they're passing/repealing in states where they have a supermajority?

Pro-choice Republicans do exist and do get elected in liberal areas eg Governor Mitt Romney so yeah it seems like it's not necessary for northeastern Republicans to come down to Texas and Arkansas and make all Republicans shut up about abortion forever to get a pro-choice candidate elected in a liberal state.

Probably because abortion doesn't have anything like the ridiculous levels of conspiracy theories and paranoia that Republicans have made out of the gun control issue to drive turnout.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Feb 16, 2016

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

DeusExMachinima posted:

gently caress this poo poo is looping on itself. Look, if you're positive that minorities really are going to make or break elections for you on gun control, AWBs won't cut it because long guns aren't what's killing them. It'll have to be assault weaponhandgun bans to address that situation and good job creating tons of new highly motivated Republican voters, white and not white, in that case.

Sorry, I completely missed your previous post.

DeusExMachinima posted:

Did the Colorado recalls not happen in your timeline?

It's entirely possible Hispanics for example continue to be in favor of gun control but you're making a similar assumption about future politics as anti-immigration types. At one time the Irish were an immigrant demo who were totally going to destroy American values... and then they became more successful and accepted. Now they're considered white by everyone in America. Political views aren't racially inherited and change based on how people (and post 1st-gen immigrants especially) feel they're doing over time. I shouldn't have to tell you this.

Sure, I accept that political views can change. But then you'd have to argue that black and hispanic Democrat's views are more likely to change than white Republican's. Which may be true, but I think that's an impossible argument to make. And yes, political beliefs aren't genetically inherited, but minorities have a long history of sticking together. The TLDR; from the article I quoted previously:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/09/the-changing-outlook-for-black-voters/403975/ posted:

In the lead up to the 1992 presidential election, Brown admonished an overconfident Democratic Party for again taking the black vote for granted. Lest its short memory fuel undue overconfidence, he famously reminded the party, “The view is that blacks have nowhere else to go, but blacks always have somewhere to go—they can go fishing.”

The most commonly cited explanation for this phenomenon is the “black utility heuristic,” a framework developed by University of Chicago professor Michael Dawson in 1994. More commonly referred to as linked fate, it’s the sentiment among blacks that one’s prospects are ultimately tied to the success of the race. In his seminal book Behind the Mule: Race and Class in African-American Politics, Dawson argues that because race has been the predominant factor in blacks’ American experience, “it was much more efficient for them to use the status of the group, both relative and absolute, as a proxy for individual utility.” In more practical terms, black voters prioritize the well-being of the group over their individual interests, and consider what’s best for the group as a whole because history has shown them that “we are in this thing together.”

Whereas linked fate in the latter part of the 20th century meant political solidarity with the Democratic Party, the 21st-century iteration requires political competition to prioritize black America’s concerns. And much like those young people who marched to obtain passage of the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts, this new segment of the electorate will not simply bow out and go fishing—instead, they are willing to go to the mat.

I'm not even arguing for any sort of weapons bans. My position is simply that dropping gun control all together risks alienating 35% of the Dem's base. If the goal of dropping gun control as a platform is that it will reduce Republican voter turnout, I don't think there's any reality in which 35% of republicans decide to not vote because guns aren't on the table. The potential downside dwarves the potential upside.

If we're talking specifics, like I said earlier, I would start by engaging with movements like #blacklivesmatters. Remember that the entire movement started with the shooting of Trayvon martin, so let's start by reforming/repealing unjust stand your ground laws. And no, I really don't think gun control is going to be the issue that galvanizes minorities into becoming politically dominant, I think there are far more important things that need to come first. However, as part of an overall platform of addressing police reform, immigration reform, and other systemic inequalities I don't see how you can ignore it.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

VitalSigns posted:

Pro-choice Republicans do exist and do get elected in liberal areas eg Governor Mitt Romney so yeah it seems like it's not necessary for northeastern Republicans to come down to Texas and Arkansas and make all Republicans shut up about abortion forever to get a pro-choice candidate elected in a liberal state.

Probably because abortion doesn't have anything like the ridiculous levels of conspiracy theories and paranoia that Republicans have made out of the gun control issue to drive turnout.

Well if you want to go that way there's Dems in every state legislature. I meant in terms of trusting R's to respect abortion rights with a majority in national Congress since that's the thread topic.

This guy feels like a zero effort easy button by now but sure why not since you asked

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

DeusExMachinima posted:

This guy feels like a zero effort easy button by now but sure why not since you asked

That's a Republican

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's totally insane this topic has gone the way it has. The constant refrain in light of polling numbers is that the pro-gun people are somehow more serious or motivated, but there's literally no reason to suspect that. Why would such a asymmetry exist? All things being equal, they should be exactly the same, proportional wise. People's opinions and convictions are going to be normally distributed, like pretty much everything else. And like, okay, let's call the stealth-pro-gun-democrats A and all the gun-control supporters B. The issue isn't just if A > B, because as some posters already pointed out (unintentionally), simply changing policy isn't going to create trust! Only a small percentage of A, let's say x, will fall in line. Meanwhile, some proportion y of the gun control people will not stick with the democrats, and I guarantee y > x. You know why? It's not just because of mistrust that makes x small, but betrayal will make y large. Betrayal, spite and anger - these are very powerful emotions. So unless A > B, it's not mathematically possible to gain votes, but even if that were the case, the Democrats will still lose votes unless xA > yB!

rudatron fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 16, 2016

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Jarmak posted:

https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/socdemo/voting/publications/p20/1994/htables.html

Also I've put up plenty of evidence, more then you have at least, you just don't like it.

Could you please tell me what sort of evidence you won't hand wave away? "Why someone lost an election 20 years ago" isn't exactly something you can test in a lab, it's something people usually debate with logical inference.

gently caress you, you disengenuous piece of poo poo. The sum total of the evidence you have provided is a just-so story about why Dems lost an election.

Jarmak posted:

Hmmm, looks like you agree with me that gun control did not in fact cause an uptick in voter turnout for the Republicans. Although I'm curious why you didn't quote that table directly:

https://www.census.gov/hhes/www/socdemo/voting/publications/p20/1994/htable01.txt posted:

code:
    Table 1.  Percent Reported Voting and Registering in Congressional
              Election Years, by Race, Hispanic Origin, and Gender:
              November 1966 to 1994

Source:  U.S. Bureau of the Census
    Release date:  August 1996

VOTING
    1994         45.0     47.3     37.1     20.2     44.7     45.3
    1990         45.0     46.7     39.2     21.0     44.6     45.4
    1986         46.0     47.0     43.2     24.2     45.8     46.1

Jarmak posted:

Hmmmm... I think I'll accept almost any evidence that isn't deliberately misleading bullshit.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

skeet decorator posted:

gently caress you, you disengenuous piece of poo poo. The sum total of the evidence you have provided is a just-so story about why Dems lost an election.

Hmmm, looks like you agree with me that gun control did not in fact cause an uptick in voter turnout for the Republicans. Although I'm curious why you didn't quote that table directly:

Hmmmm... I think I'll accept almost any evidence that isn't deliberately misleading bullshit.

Why the gently caress are you including 1986?

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Jarmak posted:

Why the gently caress are you including 1986?

I included 1986 because I have an annoying habit of presenting evidence that supports my argument.

skeet decorator posted:

quote:

In 1988, the late Ed Brown, then-executive director of the Voter Education Project, watched as the Democratic Party ignored blacks’ growing displeasure with Massachusetts Governor and Democratic presidential nominee Michael Dukakis. The party assumed blacks had little choice but to support Dukakis since the only alternative would be to defect and vote Republican—an option ostensibly more unattractive than an inattentive Dukakis campaign. The party was wrong: Black voter turnout rate plummeted by nearly 5 percent, the second largest decline for this bloc ever observed.

skeet decorator posted:

Oh hey, it looks like between the mid to late 80s to mid 90s minority voter turnout drastically decreased while white voter turnout remained relatively flat. That sounds remarkably like what I've been saying!

Feel free to exclude 1986, you're still full of poo poo.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Why doesn't someone make a new gun control thread so pro-gun posters can talk about how they don't understand statistics in there, rather than here

e: It's obvious we'll never reach consensus on this and this thread could potentially be about things the Democrats could change that would actually improve their prospects in elections. Like fighting gerrymandering, or adopting universal healthcare and free higher education as a platform.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 16, 2016

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
2009: Entire country gives a supermajority to Democrats since the republicans had been so bad the past 8 years. They could've done anything except touch guns and they'd be the power for the next decade or so. "Trust us, we won't touch guns as soon as we get into power" was the rallying cry to wary voters.

January 2010: National call to ban all guns from Democrats. They could've chosen to do anything with their supermajority, but they love banning guns and instantly chose to do it. They liked choosing to ban extended magazines that jam more, so that Serial Killers don't jam as often and kill more innocent children. Another cool thing they liked to do is ban ammo drums which jam often, so that movie theater shooters could shoot more Batman fans (the Tarantino fans of superhero movies). They also like continuing to ban automatic weapons that are already banned so that shooters are more accurate and less likely to jam while shooting up colleges. Their ideal thing that happens is a shooter waits several days before getting his perfectly sized not-black pistols with plenty of less-likely-to-jam 10 round magazines and can kill the most people such as Virginia Tech (which they love to keep as school gun free school zones. Ever notice how 100% of school shootings occur in, I don't know, Schools?)

February 2010: Republicans start to get elected again in special elections and recalls in historically blue states (including Massachusetts, Wisconsin, and Colorado). November 2010 there's a republican majority.

But it wasn't the guns, it was Bush was actually good again and everyone missed him.. hmm. Well it's definitely another reason besides guns due to this survey that says that people like the current gun laws as written.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

skeet decorator posted:

I included 1986 because I have an annoying habit of presenting evidence that supports my argument.

Feel free to exclude 1986, you're still full of poo poo.
[/quote]

The 1990 to 1994 numbers are relatively flat, you're trying explain a difference in electoral success between the 1992 election and the 1994 election by pointing at a turnout drop off that primarily manifested from 1986-1990.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

anne frank fanfic posted:

2009: Entire country gives a supermajority to Democrats since the republicans had been so bad the past 8 years. They could've done anything except touch guns and they'd be the power for the next decade or so. "Trust us, we won't touch guns as soon as we get into power" was the rallying cry to wary voters.

January 2010: National call to ban all guns from Democrats. They could've chosen to do anything with their supermajority, but they love banning guns and instantly chose to do it. They liked choosing to ban extended magazines that jam more, so that Serial Killers don't jam as often and kill more innocent children. Another cool thing they liked to do is ban ammo drums which jam often, so that movie theater shooters could shoot more Batman fans (the Tarantino fans of superhero movies). They also like continuing to ban automatic weapons that are already banned so that shooters are more accurate and less likely to jam while shooting up colleges. Their ideal thing that happens is a shooter waits several days before getting his perfectly sized not-black pistols with plenty of less-likely-to-jam 10 round magazines and can kill the most people such as Virginia Tech (which they love to keep as school gun free school zones. Ever notice how 100% of school shootings occur in, I don't know, Schools?)

February 2010: Republicans start to get elected again in special elections and recalls in historically blue states (including Massachusetts, Wisconsin, and Colorado). November 2010 there's a republican majority.

But it wasn't the guns, it was Bush was actually good again and everyone missed him.. hmm. Well it's definitely another reason besides guns due to this survey that says that people like the current gun laws as written.

The tea party didn't complain about guns, they complained about lazy blacks moochers, hope this helps!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Thread delivers little info on how Dems can reclaim the House.

Thread delivers a certain type of Dem self-righteously extolling the virtues of shooting themselves in the foot while explaining that they're not really shooting themselves in the foot and even if they were it doesn't really hurt. Besides even if it did hurt, shooting yourself in the foot is morally superior to being able to walk into town to do things that will help the people there right now. We can help people later because that day will definitely come after we finish shooting our feet off. History is inevitable.

You're so far from self-awareness that if the word 'introspection' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of your synapses it would not equal one one-billionth of the ignorance you've shown at this micro-instant.

If you were an AI, Dr. Turing would delete you. :boom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeet decorator
Jun 19, 2005

442 grams of robot

Jarmak posted:

The 1990 to 1994 numbers are relatively flat, you're trying explain a difference in electoral success between the 1992 election and the 1994 election by pointing at a turnout drop off that primarily manifested from 1986-1990.

I'm afraid at this point I must assume you are innumerate.

code:
1986 - 1990: 9.26% decrease in black turnout, 0.6383% decrease in white turnout
1990 - 1994: 5.36% decrease in black turnout, 1.285% increase in white turnout

standard deviation from 1990 - 1994 for black voters = 1.48492
standard deviation from 1990 - 1994 for white voters = 0.424264

standard deviation from 1986 - 1994 for black voters = 3.09892
standard deviation from 1986 - 1994 for white voters = 0.30

Jarmak posted:

Except that the democratic party actually did better with minorities in 1994 then 1990, gently caress the difference was with white males.

1990 - 1994: 5.36% decrease in black turnout, 1.285% increase in white turnout

Now I already know what you're going to say, so lemme go ahead and post it for you:

"Jarmak" posted:

But there were way more white dudes than minorities sure white people's turnout only increased slightly while minority's continued to decrease significantly, but they made up for it in absolute numbers!

Wrong, but I'm tired of doing it for you so feel free to run the numbers yourself and post here when you figure out how wrong you are. Or just stop posting. Either works.

anne frank fanfic posted:

Cool, great post! That would make an excellent topic for a gun control thread, you should start one!

DeusExMachinima posted:

Thread delivers little info on how Dems can reclaim the House.

Thread delivers a certain type of Dem self-righteously extolling the virtues of shooting themselves in the foot while explaining that they're not really shooting themselves in the foot and even if they were it doesn't really hurt. Besides even if it did hurt, shooting yourself in the foot is morally superior to being able to walk into town to do things that will help the people there right now. We can help people later because that day will definitely come after we finish shooting our feet off. History is inevitable.

You're so far from self-awareness that if the word 'introspection' was engraved on each nanoangstrom of your synapses it would not equal one one-billionth of the ignorance you've shown at this micro-instant.

If you were an AI, Dr. Turing would delete you. :boom:

Thread delivers a certain type of self-righteous toddler whining about why everyone doesn't think their toy is the most super duper important thing ever.

If you were a Libertarian, even Jrode would throw shade at you.

skeet decorator fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Feb 16, 2016

• Locked thread