Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Hey guys. Did you know that companies exist to make profits in capitalistic economies? That's a big gently caress you isn't it? By the way running the ball when you're on the two to win the super bowl is a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Reprint equity holy poo poo lol

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

PJOmega posted:

Don't think anyone is saying FoW should have been an Uncommon. It could have been a rare. But it is a mythic and magic thread gotta bitch about coulda-shoulda-woulda.

Given the option I would just do away with Mythic Rarity altogether, but I can see them looking at not only the power of a card like FoW in limited (which may make more sense as we see the card pool they put out - imagine if Food Chain and Misthollow Griffin both make it in? Even just making Blue good would be enough of a reason), but also it's historical place and it's position as a defining card of Legacy that it 'deserves' a high rarity. I don't agree with it, but I can see the reasoning.

The other thing is that this is presumably the first of other EMA sets, so it's not a given it'll always be at Mythic Rarity, though Tarmogoyf's continued placement at that rarity in MMA is not encouraging.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh yeah I knew it wasn't coming back as uncommon. But mythic isn't going to budge the price, and that sucks since it will mean legacy still won't grow.

If you knew then why all the anger? If you're merely frustrated about it, then sure, but your posts are bordering on 'Wizards is being spiteful just to be spiteful' or even conspiratorial.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

born on a buy you posted:

Hey guys. Did you know that companies exist to make profits in capitalistic economies? That's a big gently caress you isn't it?
:agreed: Yes it actually is.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Doo dee doo, time to go down to the local general store and buy myself some Force of Will for four dollars.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

This set is gonna be drafted a lot just saying

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
Here's what I played at Gameday:

quote:

Land (24)
4x Flooded Strand
2x Foundry of the Consuls
2x Island
2x Mountain
4x Prairie Stream
4x Shivan Reef
4x Swiftwater Cliffs
2x Wandering Fumarole

Artifact (8)
4x Ghostfire Blade
4x Stoneforge Masterwork
Enchantment (2)
2x Thopter Spy Network

Creature (20)
4x Hangarback Walker
2x Pia and Kiran Nalaar
2x Pilgrim's Eye
4x Thopter Engineer
4x Weapons Trainer
4x Whirler Rogue

Instant (4)
1x Disdainful Stroke
1x Fiery Impulse
1x Negate
1x Stubborn Denial

Sideboard (15)
2x Disdainful Stroke
2x Dispel
1x Encase in Ice
2x Fiery Conclusion
1x Fiery Impulse
1x Ghirapur AEther Grid
2x Negate
1x Rending Volley
2x Roast
1x Scatter to the Winds

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No it wasn't a mistake. It had absolutely no effect on the game back when it was printed. Did you play back then? I did. All the time. FoW was not a big deal. It was printed right where it needed to be.

It's not like it's being printed in standard. It's being printed in a "get more people to play legacy" set . It could be common and it wouldn't change anything except blue decks would be easier for people to afford. This is a straight money grab. Which again is cool just don't say they have a good reason beyond money to do it.

Congrats you played the game when Balduvian Horde was a $25 card and Force was a $5 card. So what? I've played since Revised. What does that have to do with anything? Force was a $15-20 card since shortly after it first came out and stayed there for a long time. I don't understand what any of this has to do with today.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Let me try to say this calmly.

If you are building a limited print set that is to increase the card pool of old cards, and the purpose of this set is to increase the availability to the players to enter these expensive formats, why would you make one of the most required and heavily played cards in the format so hard to get? If your entire reasoning is to make this format accessible, restricting the supply of a card that if you don't have you are basically eliminated from using 2/3 of the decks in the format , makes no sense.

This is a card that wasn't hard to get back then. It was everywhere. Restricting it's reprinting will not help to get people into more affordable decks and into the format.

Uh, maybe you try to steer the format towards decks that don't play duals because guess what? They're not reprinting duals. So instead you say "hey what decks don't play any duals, or only play a few?" And then you decide to focus on things like Dredge, Death and Taxes, MUD, Sneak and Show, etc. and start there. Most of the decks that aren't playing duals aren't playing Force so reprinting it at mythic instead of rare is fine as a random payday to someone trying to get into the format. Same reason you reprint Tarmogoyf at mythic: because someone is going to open one and sell it for a significant chunk of a different modern deck. I don't know; I haven't seen the whole set. Maybe there just aren't good cards to put at mythic for blue and Force got bumped up.

Errant Gin Monks posted:

loving thank you.

lol you have sickening on your side gj buddy

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Lightning Lord posted:

If I wanted to spend $500 to draft something awesome I'd build an Innistrad Cube with Lilis in it.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

bhsman posted:

Given the option I would just do away with Mythic Rarity altogether, but I can see them looking at not only the power of a card like FoW in limited (which may make more sense as we see the card pool they put out - imagine if Food Chain and Misthollow Griffin both make it in? Even just making Blue good would be enough of a reason), but also it's historical place and it's position as a defining card of Legacy that it 'deserves' a high rarity. I don't agree with it, but I can see the reasoning.

The other thing is that this is presumably the first of other EMA sets, so it's not a given it'll always be at Mythic Rarity, though Tarmogoyf's continued placement at that rarity in MMA is not encouraging.

If you knew then why all the anger? If you're merely frustrated about it, then sure, but your posts are bordering on 'Wizards is being spiteful just to be spiteful' or even conspiratorial.

I was more frustrated with people saying it's cool and good for FoW to be mythic because reasons. it's not cool and good. It's completely foreseeable but it's not good.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Lightning Lord posted:

Was mm2 really drafted that often in paper overall? I feel like 30+ dollar draft can't be something most people would do very often. I don't really draft all that often and my friend probably does once a week. He probably drafted mm2 3 times? I guess it would really have to depend on what people that join draft pods locally in your area like.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Sickening posted:

Was mm2 really drafted that often in paper overall? I feel like 30+ dollar draft can't be something most people would do very often. I don't really draft all that often and my friend probably does once a week. He probably drafted mm2 3 times? I guess it would really have to depend on what people that join draft pods locally in your area like.

Our store did them for like 2 months and got 10+ every Friday night so yes? It really depends on the store.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I was more frustrated with people saying it's cool and good for FoW to be mythic because reasons. it's not cool and good. It's completely foreseeable but it's not good.

I think people are mostly happy that FoW is being reprinted, period. I don't think anyone here is genuinely happy about it being at Mythic Rarity level, and this is someone who stands to lose value on my own copies because I'd rather have people to play Legacy with than some sort of perverse pride at seeing a deck I'm working on top $3k on TappedOut.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Sickening posted:

I don't feel like he was offended by it, he simply called it a money grab. It is a money grab and its so obvious that I have no idea how dumb you would have to be to argue against it.

Nobody said this? I get that card store employees aren't exactly bright, but holy gently caress.

Says the guy who's deliberately misconstruing the things I'm saying? Get bent

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
i'm glad that force of will and other eternal staples are getting reprinted, it's made this thread so good and funny

sit on my Facebook
Jun 20, 2007

ASS GAS OR GRASS
No One Rides for FREE
In the Trumplord Holy Land
wow you guys have some cool and interesting opinions about this, I'm glad I'll get to slog through them for pages and pages

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I'm gettin my daily dose of sodium from the Internet

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

CountFosco posted:

FoW at mythic is supreme bullshit and I will not be participating in EM in any form whatsoever.

Great, thanks for the update shitlord

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

Congrats you played the game when Balduvian Horde was a $25 card and Force was a $5 card. So what? I've played since Revised. What does that have to do with anything? Force was a $15-20 card since shortly after it first came out and stayed there for a long time. I don't understand what any of this has to do with today.

Uh, maybe you try to steer the format towards decks that don't play duals because guess what? They're not reprinting duals. So instead you say "hey what decks don't play any duals, or only play a few?" And then you decide to focus on things like Dredge, Death and Taxes, MUD, Sneak and Show, etc. and start there. Most of the decks that aren't playing duals aren't playing Force so reprinting it at mythic instead of rare is fine as a random payday to someone trying to get into the format. Same reason you reprint Tarmogoyf at mythic: because someone is going to open one and sell it for a significant chunk of a different modern deck. I don't know; I haven't seen the whole set. Maybe there just aren't good cards to put at mythic for blue and Force got bumped up.

lol you have sickening on your side gj buddy

Oh are we doing who played first because I started in the summer of 93 and that's why I can play legacy. I want more people to play it. This doesn't really help expand the format. Sure I hope we see karakas and port at rare and then we can have more D&T players. It would be great. But if your goal is miracles or RUG delver FoW at mythic isn't helpful.

Sneak and show plays duals and force and tomb and city of traitors. Fish also plays a set of FoW.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Ramos posted:

Doo dee doo, time to go down to the local general store and buy myself some Force of Will for four dollars.

If they try to haggle just show them your 1997 copy of Inquest. They won't be able to argue with that.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh are we doing who played first because I started in the summer of 93 and that's why I can play legacy.
You missed the point. The point is that the state of MTG in 1996 has nothing do to with anything. Also wasteland and force going down at all makes the format more broadly accessible to some extent. If Zen fetches are reprinted like the rumors say that's a help to both modern and legacy.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

If they try to haggle just show them your 1997 copy of Inquest. They won't be able to argue with that.

If I do this can I get 100 bucks for my set of balduvian hordes? That would be great.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Oh are we doing who played first because I started in the summer of 93 and that's why I can play legacy. I want more people to play it. This doesn't really help expand the format. Sure I hope we see karakas and port at rare and then we can have more D&T players. It would be great. But if your goal is miracles or RUG delver FoW at mythic isn't helpful.

Sneak and show plays duals and force and tomb and city of traitors. Fish also plays a set of FoW.

I like how you can tell who the mtgfinanciers are and how full of poo poo they are about actually enjoying playing the game when this topic comes up. :3: you'd think they wouldn't be so bold as to claim they love the game so much and yet all their arguments point to caring about the value of their cardboard more.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Edit: bah.

suicidesteve fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Feb 16, 2016

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm looking forward to seeing the price of competitive Legacy decks fall in price from several thousand dollars to a few thousand dollars.

This set's not going to make Legacy more affordable. We can piss and moan about the appropriate rarity of Force of Will (it should have been rare for this reprint set), but all this set's announcement and details have reitterated is that Wizards will never get rid of the reserved list. Enjoy your $400 Revised Underground Seas and Volcanic Islands this summer, mother fuckers.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Feb 16, 2016

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chill la Chill posted:

I like how you can tell who the mtgfinanciers are and how full of poo poo they are about actually enjoying playing the game when this topic comes up. :3: you'd think they wouldn't be so bold as to claim they love the game so much and yet all their arguments point to caring about the value of their cardboard more.

I would gladly let my goyfs, duals and FoWs and all my cards drop to 10 bucks just so I could actually play games with people again.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Chill la Chill posted:

Is there even a single mtgfinancier left in the thread? I thought they were heckled out months ago.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I don't own a modern or legacy deck so I'm not impacted by this in anything but a positive way. I just don't get the outrage aspect at all. I will fight people who dismiss draft as pointless to the death though.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
Just got Jeskai in the MTGO gauntlet. How hosed am I?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

The SituAsian posted:

Just got Jeskai in the MTGO gauntlet. How hosed am I?
Congrats, you managed to get the unplayable control deck that pros always try to bring to every PT, no matter the format.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I would gladly let my goyfs, duals and FoWs and all my cards drop to 10 bucks just so I could actually play games with people again.
but you see, if our cardboard wasn't worth at least $200 what's the point? We might as well play an LCG. But we like the game more than that guy chill who hates it and keeps pointing to that anime game that plays just like legacy but is affordable and has fixes to things like the mana and mulligan issues. WOTC is a good company. They aren't bad like GW.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

but you see, if our cardboard wasn't worth at least $200 what's the point? We might as well play an LCG. But we like the game more than that guy chill who hates it and keeps pointing to that anime game that plays just like legacy but is affordable and has fixes to things like the mana and mulligan issues. WOTC is a good company. They aren't bad like GW.
I don't think this a viewpoint anyone in the thread has expoused.
I was simply stating why it isn't surprising, not that it's a good thing for players.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

thought experiment: if burn was banned out of the Legacy format (chain lightning, lava spike, searing blood/blaze, goblin guide and eidolon bans) would playing shocks over ABUR duals so substantially impair people playing that it would not be worth it to try?
i believe yes, but would be interested in opinions
namaste

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Yes, there would still be aggro decks. You can't be losing 3+ life on the first turn vs poo poo like D&T/goblins/delver.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Pyronic posted:

Here's what I played at Gameday:

Quoting so I can see this list later.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You could p much run miracles with basics and a couple shocks. Only expensive part would be FOW mythics. But at least the top and counterbalance are uncommon like they should be.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

If you thought they were printing a set to make legacy more accessible then a big loving :laffo: at you. This is just capitalizing on interest (much like Modern Masters).

When they want legacy to be anything more than a format where a few old guys grumble at each other about the good times they'll need to get rid of the reserved list. Or make the format less interesting by banning it out.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Errant Gin Monks posted:

I can play legacy/vintage because I got a degree that's in high demand and got a good-paying job. Young me didn't see a point in paying $10 for a land that's only slightly better than a free basic or in buying that $400 Alpha Lotus that cost almost 2 years' allowance.

I'm not arguing that Force should be mythic fwiw. I think it probably should have been rare but I can understand why it would be mythic. There's a ton of reasons for it to be mythic, all of which boil down to limited. My best guess why? They didn't want to risk a free counter being rare in a bomb-driven format. Like imagine being able to tap out for your huge bomb and still being able to protect it, or to counter your opponent's bomb while you're tapped out. It happened to me quite a few times in VMA and it was miserable.

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

thought experiment: if burn was banned out of the Legacy format (chain lightning, lava spike, searing blood/blaze, goblin guide and eidolon bans) would playing shocks over ABUR duals so substantially impair people playing that it would not be worth it to try?
i believe yes, but would be interested in opinions
namaste

It would be awful in a format with Wasteland. Never mind something like Daze returning a Steam Vents being the worst feeling in the world.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I can play legacy/vintage because I got a degree that's in high demand and got a good-paying job. Young me didn't see a point in paying $10 for a land that's only slightly better than a free basic or in buying that $400 Alpha Lotus that cost almost 2 years' allowance.

I'm not arguing that Force should be mythic fwiw. I think it probably should have been rare but I can understand why it would be mythic. There's a ton of reasons for it to be mythic, all of which boil down to limited. My best guess why? They didn't want to risk a free counter being rare in a bomb-driven format. Like imagine being able to tap out for your huge bomb and still being able to protect it, or to counter your opponent's bomb while you're tapped out. It happened to me quite a few times in VMA and it was miserable.

It would be awful in a format with Wasteland. Never mind something like Daze returning a Steam Vents being the worst feeling in the world.

I might be totally wrong about this but I have a feeling that FOW would be considered a pretty bad pick outside of the value of the card in draft. Maybe a late pick sideboard card? I just can't think of that many situations where a 2 for 1ing yourself has ever been a great thing in limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

suicidesteve posted:

As a guy who makes good money in the IT field I can also afford to buy lots of cards. That doesn't help expand legacy unless I'm blowing pay checks buying other people decks, which I'm not doing.

I also don't buy the draft argument. This will sell regardless of drafting. It's a limited print run as well which just makes it go faster. Making these things (which will sell out like crazy anyway) crappier because "draft" actually is offensive to me.

• Locked thread