Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Just took most of Greece and Thrace, along with the provinces surrounding Constantinople, from the Ottomans as Byzantium, around 1460 :toot:

I've got a strong alliance now with Poland-Lithuania, Serbia, and Bosnia. Three of the provinces I took weren't cores yet, so once that's done I'll see about filling up my manpower reserves, then see if I can get my alliance to help me fight another war with the Ottomans. If not then I'll wait for Venice to show weakness and then try to seize their island holdings in the Aegean.

I'm thinking that before I get big enough for Poland/Lithuania/the Commonwealth to start worrying about me, I'll try to vassalise Bosnia and Serbia, they may make for a good march, especially if I can feed them some of Hungary. Then when Poland-Lithuania breaks their alliance with me I'll try to see about allying Muscovy/Russia.

Just annex Serbia and Bosnia before the get big. Wallachia should be your vassal following the war with the ottomans. Serbia has a goldmine in Kosovo you'll want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Bort Bortles posted:

I'm not sure what idea to take next as Ethiopia:

I have Religious, Exploration, Econ, Defensive, and Quality (which is so OP with Religious and Econ) all filled out. I was planning on going Offensive next, but my Military is pretty nuts as is and Admin points have been holding me back, so I was thinking of going for Admin instead because of the Coring discount, the merc discounts, and, well, the Production bonus and Admin tech discount.

Iraq and Baluchistan are my vassals; I just fed them a bunch of Persia. I am allied to Austria, Commonwealth, and Westernized Jaunpur. I havent had time/admin points to beat up Songhai. I finally managed to get Pasai to not be allied to the Ottomans so now I am crazy rich from Zanzibar, though I think I need to move my trade capital there because Portugal is siphoning off tons of trade (despite me owning all of The Cape) because of the huge penalty.

If you're playing Ironman you should very much be able to just punch out the Prester John achievement in one war. You could also get the 10 gold mine achievement by just grabbing all the mines in Africa.

Otherwise if you're not planning to be in Constantinople anytime soon you should have moved your trade center to Zanzibar the moment you had the majority of trade power there.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Just took most of Greece and Thrace, along with the provinces surrounding Constantinople, from the Ottomans as Byzantium, around 1460 :toot:

I've got a strong alliance now with Poland-Lithuania, Serbia, and Bosnia. Three of the provinces I took weren't cores yet, so once that's done I'll see about filling up my manpower reserves, then see if I can get my alliance to help me fight another war with the Ottomans. If not then I'll wait for Venice to show weakness and then try to seize their island holdings in the Aegean.

I'm thinking that before I get big enough for Poland/Lithuania/the Commonwealth to start worrying about me, I'll try to vassalise Bosnia and Serbia, they may make for a good march, especially if I can feed them some of Hungary. Then when Poland-Lithuania breaks their alliance with me I'll try to see about allying Muscovy/Russia.

What did you do?

How did you do this?

shallowj
Dec 18, 2006

is there a way to get "naval attrition" to show up as a flag? like the "your units are reinforcing" flag. it gets frustrating keeping track of blockading fleets during large wars, & sometime you don't notice when a province has been taken that lowers the supply range such that previously supplied fleets are now being damaged. maybe a mod or something?

also - has anyone noticed provinces not getting the -100 unrest after putting down a successful rebellion? i've noticed this happening when the province in question has 0 unrest when the rebels spawn (because i have troops stationed there). as an example, i had troops stationed in milan, keeping it's unrest at 0. when the Milanese Separatists popped, in Novara and somewhere else, after I put them down, I noticed Milan didn't get the -100 unrest modifier. Has it always been like this?

also - does the +improve relations over time advisor affect how quickly "Improve Relations" works? I'm pretty sure if affects how quickly opinion maluses decay to 0. Does it also affect how slowly opinion bonuses decay?

shallowj fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 16, 2016

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Average Bear posted:

Just annex Serbia and Bosnia before the get big.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

shallowj posted:

also - does the +improve relations over time advisor affect how quickly "Improve Relations" works? I'm pretty sure if affects how quickly opinion maluses decay to 0. Does it also affect how slowly opinion bonuses decay?

I'm not entirely sure but

+% Improve Relations increases the speed you build up to the max +100 bonus, note that it does NOT increase the cap. I'm not sure about decay. Generally it's a weak bonus since it's only saving you some diplomat time.

+% Better Relations Over Time (the adviser you're referring to, there isn't an Improve Relations one) causes penalties to decay faster. So +30% Better Relations means you burn off your AE that much faster, and applies to all other penalties. It's great.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sperglord Firecock posted:

What did you do?

How did you do this?

Ally Poland and Hungary (if they aren't rivaled) and either wait for the ottos to attack or build up enough favors to call them in.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YF-23 posted:

You've already hosed the Ottomans bad, so I'd say going Admin is a good idea for the point you're on, with the caveat that you should make an effort to liberate the City before the Spaniards can.

For trade you might want to consider holding off from major actions for now, it might be more worth it to move your trade node to Constantinople when you get access to that and start pulling trade up uP UP.
France and Austria hosed 'em bad. Right when I was feeling powerful enough to take them on, they got dogpiled by most of Europe. This let me hop on the gravy train and wrap up the Red Sea and dip my toes in the Med like that. I am getting so much Power Projection since I took Djerba and can base Privateers there. Right before I took that screenshot Spain finished annexing Portugal so the trade question fell back off the docket once I took a look again - without Portugal pulling trade out of Zanzibar I dont have anything to worry about and my income from it shot up to well over 100.

Eej posted:

If you're playing Ironman you should very much be able to just punch out the Prester John achievement in one war. You could also get the 10 gold mine achievement by just grabbing all the mines in Africa.

Otherwise if you're not planning to be in Constantinople anytime soon you should have moved your trade center to Zanzibar the moment you had the majority of trade power there.
I did just that! I got two mines by filling in South Africa down there and only need two more...I think I will go get the two in India that I am near. I felt the need to go get Constantinople because France and Austria were hatefucking the Ottomans really hard again, so I declared war as soon as my truce was up and sailed a fleet allllll the way around Africa with an army of 75 in it, and plopped them on the City as quick as I could (staging in Djerba was fun).

I had not moved my trade capital because no one was taking trade out of Zanzibar for the longest time, and I had not ever moved my capital in an Ironman game before so I was leery. As above, the situation resolved itself when Spain annexed Portugal.

Huzzah! I think I will go for the 10 Gold Mine achievement. Anything else worth picking up being in such a good position with over 100 years left?

Thank you everyone for all of the advice, it feels great to play Ironman and accomplish stuff.

edit:
Here is a better picture of the big picture. Browsing the new achievement feature for things I can try to do.

Yes that is Spanish Australia; Greece; Spain owning Albania; France owning parts of Serbia; migrated Theodoro; Commonwealth pulling a Hitler; OPMs Nogai, Galicia-Volhynia, and Crete. I own Canton; the Ganges, Irrawady, Krishna, Godavari, and Indus Deltas and a bunch of other CoTs in SE Asia.

I am allied to Commonwealth, Austria, and Jaunpur. I was only keeping Jaunpur around to use as a punching bag for Vijayanagar in our next war, which hasnt happened because I have been distracted with other things.

Anyone know why my Indonesia trade company would be so weak when I have the provinces of Pasai, Malacca, and Brunei plus about 10 others, yet my trade company only has like 35% of the Provincial power in the node (all three big trade provinces have a Stock Exchange and are in the trade company, along with all of the other provinces I own being in the trade company and some having trade buildings)?

edit2: Oh and you cant see it, but The Knights are still alive on Rhodes, Westernized, with a level 8 fort and 31 Development.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 16, 2016

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is it worth it to build manufactories in provinces with valuable trade goods in Africa and Asia, assuming I can capture the majority of the value downstream? My guess is yes since it'd dump more value into the node where you eventually collect, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something with distant overseas or whatever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

They boost goods produced, so they're just a direct boost to trade value. They're better built in your core, but once you've filled that out, building them in the colonies is worth it as long as you're collecting that trade value.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Average Bear posted:

Just annex Serbia and Bosnia before the get big. Wallachia should be your vassal following the war with the ottomans. Serbia has a goldmine in Kosovo you'll want

tbh I can't imagine a scenario where either of them gets really big. does that happen often? I've never seen it.

Anyway what I was thinking is that I should keep them as allies while prioritising removing kebab, and then once I've become a proper major power I turn on them and take some key provinces before force-vassalising them. Wallachia would be a good choice too, though. Why not all three? I'd still have a slot open for allying Russia and I doubt I'll have any other prospects for good allies once Poland-Lithuania turns on me.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

tbh I can't imagine a scenario where either of them gets really big. does that happen often? I've never seen it.

Anyway what I was thinking is that I should keep them as allies while prioritising removing kebab, and then once I've become a proper major power I turn on them and take some key provinces before force-vassalising them. Wallachia would be a good choice too, though. Why not all three? I'd still have a slot open for allying Russia and I doubt I'll have any other prospects for good allies once Poland-Lithuania turns on me.
Dont vassalize Wallachia - they have the core-cost penalty which also makes annexing them as a vassal more expensive. Conquer their surprisingly rich lands and dont let them spread.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Sperglord Firecock posted:

What did you do?

How did you do this?

I started off by hiring a +dip reputation advisor and setting my relations with the ottomans to "threatened" (this gives you a big modifier for willingness to ally with their rivals and anyone else who hates them), once I did that I was able to get alliances with Poland, Serbia, and Bosnia all with just a few months of increasing relations, which I was able to do concurrently since Byzantium starts with 3 diplomats. Then I insulted the Ottomans to get them to attack me shortly after they depleted most of their manpower in some other war, and before doing that I moved my troops to Moldova to keep them from getting obliterated immediately.

Bort Bortles posted:

Dont vassalize Wallachia - they have the core-cost penalty which also makes annexing them as a vassal more expensive. Conquer their surprisingly rich lands and dont let them spread.

That will apply to conquering them, too, won't it? If I have to make a choice between spending diplomatic power to integrate them and administrative power to conquer them, isn't it better to do the former?

e: as it turns out, Wallachia is gone. Annexed by Hungary.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Feb 16, 2016

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bort Bortles posted:

Thank you everyone for all of the advice, it feels great to play Ironman and accomplish stuff.

You're welcome, enjoy the achievement icon showing Alexandria and Antioch in the completely wrong places. :)

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Wallachia is actually a pretty good march, decent NIs, good culture group and position. Letting them improve their own lands really isn't that bad, diplo points hardly ever matter.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Tahirovic posted:

Wallachia is actually a pretty good march, decent NIs, good culture group and position. Letting them improve their own lands really isn't that bad, diplo points hardly ever matter.

I'm very much certain that it's cheaper in points to diploannex provincial development than to make it yourself anyway.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ally Poland and Hungary (if they aren't rivaled) and either wait for the ottos to attack or build up enough favors to call them in.

This didn't work in my run solely because of the distances involved. It was a stretch to be able to hit positive modifiers with Naples and Spain (inherited Aragon) while holding the upper Nile, much less something as far as out as Poland. Hungary though is just barely doable, though in my game they never expanded past their starting borders.

I might have gotten unlucky with the rivaling situation as well. Either way Ottomans and France were allied for 200 years so that particular game was a special kind of painful.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

YF-23 posted:

I'm very much certain that it's cheaper in points to diploannex provincial development than to make it yourself anyway.

Even if it costs more points overall, it's the better option because aside from advancing diplomatic technology and potentially westernising, annexation is easily the most valuable use of diplomatic points, while there are far better things to spend military and administrative points on than development. Just IMO.

Right now I'm fighting tooth and nail to keep Hungary and Venice from swallowing Bosnia. I already let Hungary get to poor Serbia while I was too weak to do anything about it. I've got 62% war score over Hungary, with several of their fortresses occupied, but stupid loving Bosnia won't sue for peace. Meanwhile Venice has just hired a bunch of mercenaries and now has more troops in the Balkans than I could muster without breaking my bank.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Sheep posted:

This didn't work in my run solely because of the distances involved. It was a stretch to be able to hit positive modifiers with Naples and Spain (inherited Aragon) while holding the upper Nile, much less something as far as out as Poland. Hungary though is just barely doable, though in my game they never expanded past their starting borders.

I might have gotten unlucky with the rivaling situation as well. Either way Ottomans and France were allied for 200 years so that particular game was a special kind of painful.

...I think if at any point you're in control of the upper Nile you've either already soundly defeated the Ottomans or you have your priorities seriously out of order.

E: gently caress yeah. Bosnia just made Hungary bow out and leave several of its provinces behind, as well as release Transylvania. Still not sure how I'll beat Venice, though.

E2: HA. HAHAHAHA. Venice just attacked my 20-stack with its 28-stack over a river, up a mountain, against my general with 4 shock pips. Now to chase the fuckers down.

TacticalUrbanHomo fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Feb 16, 2016

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Upper Nile is the southern part; Lower Nile is the part near the Alexandrian coast. Ottomans never really go for the Upper Nile whereas they get a mission to take the Lower Nile.

Edit: here's a good explanation of river stages.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Feb 16, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Sheep posted:

Upper Nile is the southern part; Lower Nile is the part near the Alexandrian coast. Ottomans never really go for the Upper Nile whereas they get a mission to take the Lower Nile.

Riiight. I think maybe you're leaving something out that would make this make more sense to me. The way I see it, if you have conquered the Upper Nile you have either:

A) Already secured the Anatolia at least, if not also the Levant, and therefore the Ottomans have been more or less defeated utterly.

or

B) You have beelined straight across the Mediterranean to Egypt, leaving yourself incredibly vulnerable to division and encirclement, not to mention you have ignored your best opportunities for building a more secure base of power.

This is why I said if you at any point are in control of the Upper Nile, you either have already defeated the Ottomans (A) or you have your priorities seriously out of order (B).

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
Woops I thought this was still Ethiopia chat, nevermind.

Edit: Ethiopia chat time - any strategies for changing from Coptic? -2% local missionary chance blows.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Feb 16, 2016

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Welll Bosnia just accepted a peace deal with Venice, giving them two of my provinces. I immediately broke off my alliance with them and sent them an insult. I'm going to feed them to my pet Albania now, gently caress them.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Sheep posted:

Woops I thought this was still Ethiopia chat, nevermind.

Edit: Ethiopia chat time - any strategies for changing from Coptic? -2% local missionary chance blows.

That is a province modifier for Coptic provinces, not a modifier for your missionary strength.

quote:

Province's current religion: -2% in Coptic, Muslim and Shinto provinces.

The global modifiers from being a Coptic Nation are:

quote:

Tolerance of the True Faith: +2
Fort defense: +10%

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That will apply to conquering them, too, won't it? If I have to make a choice between spending diplomatic power to integrate them and administrative power to conquer them, isn't it better to do the former?

The key is that you just don't ever want to feed Wallachia any more provinces, because then you'll have to pay extra on those too. Much better to feed Bosnia or Serbia instead. But nothing wrong with vassalizing Wallachia and then annexing them without feeding them to save Admin.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.
Total goddamn noob question(s):

So literally have 2 hours in this game and following along with a rather excellent youtube tutorial by UnstableVoltage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACx7UM5FSvU.

My question:
1. I got 3 possible missions and two of them seemed a bit to difficult for early in the game. The one remaining on was basically increase my papal favor to 50. A forum suggested sending them a gift or aligning with papal favored countries. How do I send them a gift?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

e: as it turns out, Wallachia is gone. Annexed by Hungary.
That is correct - I meant "conquer" more in the terms of "dont let them spread their toxic cores". In either case, you do not want them to have additional cores outside the ones they start with. I think in one not-Ironman game I played as the Ottomans, I had released Transylvania and fed Wallachia to them so that I would not have to pay the extra diplopoints either :v:

fake edit: beaten by Pitt

YF-23 posted:

You're welcome, enjoy the achievement icon showing Alexandria and Antioch in the completely wrong places. :)
Heheh I did notice that but didnt want to mention it and seem like a weirdo.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Breaking a protectorate doesn't cause a truce, right? I'm playing a Portugal game and thinking of diplomatically making a small Indian nation a protectorate just to break their alliance with mega-Bengal, then immediately kicking the little nation to the curb and annexing them. Is there any reason this wouldn't work?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

strategery posted:

Total goddamn noob question(s):

So literally have 2 hours in this game and following along with a rather excellent youtube tutorial by UnstableVoltage https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACx7UM5FSvU.

My question:
1. I got 3 possible missions and two of them seemed a bit to difficult for early in the game. The one remaining on was basically increase my papal favor to 50. A forum suggested sending them a gift or aligning with papal favored countries. How do I send them a gift?

Is it the Solidify Papal Relations mission? If so you need to get their opinion of you up to 100, which assuming they don't hate you for some reason (unlikely early on) is very easy. Right click the Papal States, go to Relations actions (I think that's what it's called), and Improve Relations.

As long as their opinion of you was non-negative to begin with, you just need to let that work. If you do need to send a gift, it's in the same place, under Economic Actions. That can get you an extra +25 relations, but it's expensive to use on the Pope, because he's pretty wealthy on his own.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Is it the Solidify Papal Relations mission? If so you need to get their opinion of you up to 100, which assuming they don't hate you for some reason (unlikely early on) is very easy. Right click the Papal States, go to Relations actions (I think that's what it's called), and Improve Relations.

As long as their opinion of you was non-negative to begin with, you just need to let that work. If you do need to send a gift, it's in the same place, under Economic Actions. That can get you an extra +25 relations, but it's expensive to use on the Pope, because he's pretty wealthy on his own.

Thank you. Another idiot question: And don't kill me as I am no history buff either. Papal states is an icon on the ui or an actual country/property on the map?

strategery fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Feb 16, 2016

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Just to add to the above, gifts are rarely worth it. They can get quite expensive and provide only a small relations boost compared to using Improve Relations. I usually only use gifts if I'm falling slightly short of getting a nation above a specific threshold, most commonly the +190 relations you need to begin integrating a vassal. I'd advise a new player not to use gifts unless there is no other way to get relations where you need them, and even then only if it's very cheap or important.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's the Papal States, which is an actual nation with its capitol in Rome, and there's the Holy See which is a game mechanic.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

strategery posted:

Thank you. Another idiot question: And don't kill me as I am no history buff either. Papal states is an icon on the ui or an actual country/property on the map?

Actual country. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_States

You can play as them, too, and they have a bunch of unique events/decisions. I should really do that sometime.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

You can play as them, too, and they have a bunch of unique events/decisions. I should really do that sometime.

It's a fun game, and the achievement can be enjoyable too.

strategery
Apr 21, 2004

Ah thanks. I feel this game is going to motivate some (personal) education moments on world history.

strategery fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 16, 2016

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
You want to annex Bosnia and Serbia as byz ASAP because of you don't someone else will. They are your corridor to the west and eventually Vienna for a free westernization. Also puts you in a good position to take Dalmatia and istria from Venice after you get set up.

Wallachia is good as a vassal because in the early game (literally right after war with the ottos) those extra units count. Basically you're securing the Balkans from Hungary and Venice. The core cost sucks, but you'll keep them as a vassal for a very long time since you won't be expanding into Poland for a very long time/ever.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Sheep posted:

Tahirovic posted:

That is a province modifier for Coptic provinces, not a modifier for your missionary strength.

To further clarify, "-2% local missionary chance" means that it's harder to convert a coptic province to another religion, not that coptic countries have a harder time converting provinces to coptic.

Bort Bortles posted:

Huzzah! I think I will go for the 10 Gold Mine achievement. Anything else worth picking up being in such a good position with over 100 years left?

Funny idea: ally with Muscovy, get them the provinces they need to form Russia, and then grab Guarantor of Peace.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I quite literally just did that in my Buddhists Strike Back game. Poland owned provinces Novgorod needed, but they were forever-allies, so I allied Novgorod, attacked one of Poland's allies, forced them to release Muscovy, then called Novgorod in to wars against Muscovy so that they'd actually expand. AI is so weird sometimes.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PleasingFungus posted:

To further clarify, "-2% local missionary chance" means that it's harder to convert a coptic province to another religion, not that coptic countries have a harder time converting provinces to coptic.

Funny idea: ally with Muscovy, get them the provinces they need to form Russia, and then grab Guarantor of Peace.
poo poo, that could be a lot of work, but I have 100+ years and I am pretty powerful. To Guarantee I just have to be bigger in terms of development, right?

edit: The problem is that Europe is a goddamn hugfest of big powers being allied. I doubt I could muster the strength to beat up Scandanavia and her allies enough to get Muscovy enough of her land back - she lost Moscow to the Commonwealth and I am preeeeety sure they need that to form Russia.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Pimpmust posted:

I've been spending the last week figuring out the map editorGIMP and I'm starting to get somewhere with my fantasy continent tile project.

Cut out a chunk of the part I've gotten furthest along with, it's maybe 25% of the total land mass:

And no, the real thing is not a .png

Easy mode hint: Homeland of Lady Fortune.

The southern chunk and some of the low lands is still very much work in progress (and the rest needs a quality check or two), but now I'm starting to get a hang of this.

Tile is coming along, only got a small upper continent left, some river systems and then I can focus on error correction and spiffing up the quality.

• Locked thread