Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I was just watching the Rock/Austin match from WM15 and that got me thinking about if there was an early plan for WM16 if Austin hadn't been injured.

What were some matches that were planned for a Wrestlemania that didn't end up happening for one reason or another?

Wasn't a Cena/Triple H rematch on the cards for WM23 originally that got shelved when he blew his quad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Why has Xpac never gotten one last run with the WWE? They've had literally everyone else including Road Dogg, and he was still good, last I saw at a King of Trios show. Has anyone ever said?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

rotinaj posted:

Why has Xpac never gotten one last run with the WWE? They've had literally everyone else including Road Dogg, and he was still good, last I saw at a King of Trios show. Has anyone ever said?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Havoc904 posted:

I was just watching the Rock/Austin match from WM15 and that got me thinking about if there was an early plan for WM16 if Austin hadn't been injured.

What were some matches that were planned for a Wrestlemania that didn't end up happening for one reason or another?

Wasn't a Cena/Triple H rematch on the cards for WM23 originally that got shelved when he blew his quad?

It was.

Hogan/Warrior II was planned for a few months after WM 6 until Warrior tanked on top and they brought in Slaughter.

Luger/Yokozuna is another big one, planned for WM 10 only to end up as two title matches with Hart/Yokozuna as the main. That change happened shortly after the Rumble when it was clear Hart was more over.

WM 13 was originally going to be Hart/Michaels. Austin was originally supposed to wrestle the British Bulldog.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't WM 17 supposed to be Shawn-HHH before Shawn came to a taping and was still an obvious drug addict

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Not completely sure but I think WM 19 was supposed to be UT/Nathan jones versus show/A-Train but at some point it was decided jones was so bad they did an injury angle and UT wrestled a handicap match.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Nathan Jones still got a Wrestlemania payday out of that, because he still appeared. Then he waited until an Australian tour to take off because he got free airfare. He played it pretty smart. Him and Nash should hang out.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Memento posted:

Kurt Angle is currently 47 years old, and has spent the last 20+ years beating the loving poo poo out of himself on the mat and in the ring with wrestling and out of the ring with drugs and booze and legal issues. He has multiple serious issues with his neck (spinal and tumour), nerve damage causing muscular atrophy, and has been spotted in a wheelchair more than once due to knee damage (I think).

Man Austin wasn't kidding when he said Kurt took to the industry faster than anyone he ever knew.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WHOOPS posted:

Man Austin wasn't kidding when he said Kurt took to the industry faster than anyone he ever knew.

In his book Angle said he made his pro debut (against Christian) FIVE DAYS after he began training.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

rotinaj posted:

As good as he was at King of Trios 2011, your question can be answered if you watch King of Trios 2012.

Havoc904 posted:

Hulk Hogan vs. Zeus at WM6.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Let us not forget the legendary British Bulldog vs Berzerker match that did not happen at Wrestlemania 8.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Not to mention Earthquake vs. Ludvig Borga at Wrestlemania X.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Then there is WM 30 which 8 months out was tentatively Punk vs Orton for the title.

Then it became what we knew and loved with Batista vs Orton, HHH vs Punk and Sheamus vs Bryan.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Havoc904 posted:

Wade Barrett vs. Undertaker was built for WM27. Kane beat Undertaker in a Buried Alive match when Nexus beat down Undertaker. HHH vs. Undertaker 1 (2?) replaced it.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
There was a 10 man tag match set for Wrestlemania 10, but it was cut for time during the show. The match took place on Raw the next night.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
There was the Rhodes Scholars and Bellas vs, Brodus, Tensai, and the Funkadactyls which was bumped for Total Divas drama at 29.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.
Bam Bam and Kamala at WM IX

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Perry Normal posted:

Bam Bam and Kamala at WM IX

Didn't have time for that. Needed to make room for Hogan's racist promo.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

EugeneJ posted:

Wasn't WM 17 supposed to be Shawn-HHH before Shawn came to a taping and was still an obvious drug addict

And that's why Triple H was fed to the Undertaker at X7 (branding, people!) even before the streak was a thing, because he vouched for Shawn during the latest attempted comeback.

Which brings up another interesting question: Is this the last time Triple H was ever punished?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Who said he was punished? I've never heard that. Doesn't make any sense really. In fact, im gonna say it's bollocks

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Davros1 posted:

In his book Angle said he made his pro debut (against Christian) FIVE DAYS after he began training.

Jesus, imagine what would have happened to the business had Raven not crucified the Sandman in 1996

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Who said he was punished? I've never heard that. Doesn't make any sense really. In fact, im gonna say it's bollocks

Pretty sure it's straight from Meltzer

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
This is more of a what-if question but: If Austin never had his neck injury how much longer would he have been an active wrestler? How much would that change the Attitude Era and beyond? I think we'd see a different wrestling style, not focused fully on his ground game/brawler moves. He was kinda in a poo poo position around 02 with his garbage Scott Hall feud though. Would he have just fizzled out?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

WHOOPS posted:

Who else took to wrestling really quickly? Chad Gable is one, he's way better than he should be at this stage of his career.

And Stroman of course.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

This is more of a what-if question but: If Austin never had his neck injury how much longer would he have been an active wrestler? How much would that change the Attitude Era and beyond? I think we'd see a different wrestling style, not focused fully on his ground game/brawler moves. He was kinda in a poo poo position around 02 with his garbage Scott Hall feud though. Would he have just fizzled out?

It's not unreasonable to think that if he never had all the injuries, he might be in the part time main eventer scene today.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Sounds like a HHH punishment. Forced to have a high profile match against the Undertaker at the biggest Wrestlemania at the peak of the Attitude era a month after beating Austin. That'll learn him.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yup. Nonsense. Never heard meltzer say that

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

Yup. Nonsense. Never heard meltzer say that

I'm pretty sure the original plan was HHH Vs Mike Tyson and once that fell through they planned HHH Vs Taker and then HHH did something to get heat, I forget what, and rather than win at Mania 17 he lost.

As I said, a HHH punishment. Like after he hugged his mates goodbye and he spent an entire year still winning matches but not as high profile as they could have been. We still hear him bitch about that.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

http://insidepulse.com/2008/06/07/scotts-mailbag-of-doom/

quote:

Question #5! (STOP sending me e-mail, people, so I can finish this column and go to bed)

Hey, longtime reader and bookowner. I have a question. From reading this:

"But then Shawn showed up in no condition to perform and HHH got to do the big fat J-O-B because he had basically vouched for Shawn and thus had to eat the punishment. That happened a lot to him back in the day."

I don’t even remember shawn being in that match. Also, wasn’t Triple H already married to steph? Why was he being punished? I thought taker going over was academic since it was just a timewaster fued until Triple H got back into the title picture (Rock/Austin obviously was going to exclude him at that WM).

I’m not trying to say you’re wrong or anything, but as a long-time taker mark, I don’t remember being that worried that hunter would win. What exactly went down with this? I’d love to hear anything you know that I don’t.

Looking forward to the Hart/Benoit book (as sad as it’ll be).

OK, here’s the story:

No, Shawn wasn’t in the match. Shawn was training for his comeback, which was supposed to be happening in 2001, but he was still very addicted to drugs and booze and all that good stuff. HHH (who would have been with Chyna at that point, but I believe cheating on her with Steph, which is why Chyna left shortly after) basically campaigned to Vince to allow Shawn back into the ring for a feud against HHH. So anyway, the idea is that HHH and Shawn are going to have a match at Wrestlemania X-7 and I forget what Undertaker was supposed to be doing. But Shawn was supposed to be at a RAW in February to set up that match, and he showed up too stoned to go on the air, so instead of HHH beating Shawn, it became HHH losing to Undertaker. I didn’t mean that HHH was supposed to beat Undertaker, sorry if you got that impression.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
I'm hearing that due to HHH's good friend Titus O'Neil's foolish attack on Vince McMahon, HHH will be forced to do the job for Roman Reigns at this year's Mania

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

triplexpac posted:

Who else took to wrestling really quickly? Chad Gable is one, he's way better than he should be at this stage of his career.

And Stroman of course.

According to his peers, Barry Windham was a natural.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

triplexpac posted:

And Stroman of course.

Big Show

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Are any of Arn Anderson's or Barry Windham's kids in the business? I know Tully's and obviously Flair's are, so I'm wondering if we'll ever see a 2nd generation Four Horsemen.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

According to his peers, Barry Windham was a natural.

Same with Dustin Rhodes.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

sticklefifer posted:

Are any of Arn Anderson's or Barry Windham's kids in the business? I know Tully's and obviously Flair's are, so I'm wondering if we'll ever see a 2nd generation Four Horsemen.

I decided to look this up, and got kinda disturbed.

Bray Wyatt is named Windham Rotunda.

Barry Windham has a daughter. Her name? Abigail.

Bray Wyatt would be so much better if literally everything he did was some reference to a friend of his father's.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..

triplexpac posted:

And Stroman of course.

Jun Akiyama. All 3 guys were high level amateurs too.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
Derp, forget it

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Between, say, 2004 and 2014, what are the WWE's best top-to-bottom PPV cards? Apart from MiTB 2011, I watched it pretty recently.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

St Evan Echoes posted:

Between, say, 2004 and 2014, what are the WWE's best top-to-bottom PPV cards? Apart from MiTB 2011, I watched it pretty recently.

Wrestlemania 24 was extremely good the entire way through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

St Evan Echoes posted:

One Night Stand 2005