Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009
The cadence seems to be that RCP will drop the national polls 16-18 days after they are posted. The only time I've seen that not followed was that dry spell in late December/early January where only 3 polls made up the total average. IMO if at least 3 new polls come out, all his bad ones will roll off. I'm currently yes on Trump there due to his big win in NH and his soon-to-be (I think) win in SC.

On a side note, I checked the national polls from 2012 and there was a ton of polls during February. What the hell is up with pollsters this year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

watwat posted:

On a side note, I checked the national polls from 2012 and there was a ton of polls during February. What the hell is up with pollsters this year?
Agreed. There's a noticeable lack of Super Tuesday polling two weeks from the primaries. Last time anyone had a finger in the air was January/December, even November in some cases, and September for Alabama.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

watwat posted:

The cadence seems to be that RCP will drop the national polls 16-18 days after they are posted. The only time I've seen that not followed was that dry spell in late December/early January where only 3 polls made up the total average. IMO if at least 3 new polls come out, all his bad ones will roll off. I'm currently yes on Trump there due to his big win in NH and his soon-to-be (I think) win in SC.

While generally true, RCP gonna RCP so you're betting not only on what the polls are and whether or not RCP will include them but also whether or not RCP will follow their general trend and not forget to have the intern update poo poo until 1am March 1st.

As for the polls we're on a multi-year slide of polling as the demand for them by the shrinking news media wanes.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

There was a story on NPR about how polling is more expensive than ever before. Mostly because of the lack of home phones.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Someone dumped a couple thousand dollars into the 2nd place SC market a little while ago and I was first on the scene :toot:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Come to think of it, I've seen two huge spikes like that and they were both pro-Rubio :tinfoil:

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

Flavahbeast posted:

Come to think of it, I've seen two huge spikes like that and they were both pro-Rubio :tinfoil:

Yeah, there wasn't any new polling or anything, was there? Not that I'm complaining about my Rubio 2nd shares going up up up (so I can sell them)

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
if the cap is $850, then how did someone dump a couple thousand dollars?

OrangeKing posted:

Yeah, there wasn't any new polling or anything, was there?

i'm guessing there was a lot of new polling, it just wasn't released

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

It might have just been 850, it was definitely a bunch though: Rubio YES went from ~.25 to ~.45 with at least 1200 outstanding shares at .45 (those are the NO's I bought)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Arkane posted:

if the cap is $850, then how did someone dump a couple thousand dollars?

i'm guessing there was a lot of new polling, it just wasn't released

If the price was .25 and then went up to .33 that's thousands of shares that you can buy for $850. If the market didn't have that many bids already placed you could easily do a huge swing of 2-3 thousand shares off just a single buy at those prices.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
You could theoretically make a $1700 swing if you sell YES and buy NO or vice versa.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

How is it that the likelihood of Clinton personally winning the presidency, and the next president being a woman, consistently have more than a penny difference? Are there that many people who think Carly Fiorina has a 5% chance?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

How is it that the likelihood of Clinton personally winning the presidency, and the next president being a woman, consistently have more than a penny difference? Are there that many people who think Carly Fiorina has a 5% chance?

It's just market inefficiency at this point.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

evilweasel posted:

Gender reassignment?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

evilweasel posted:

Trump's convinced them that JEB! isn't a man.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I'm wading into the Nevada Dem market with 100 Hillary YES at 58 cents. My guess is with Scalia's passing, voters will go with electability over idealism. Plus Harry Reid is going to pull whatever strings he has to engineer the outcome he wants. Polling has been so thin that I'm not going in bigger than this.

Gyges posted:

Trump's convinced them that JEB! isn't a man.

Even then, Jeb or Jebra doesn't have a 1% chance of winning

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
While W is speaking, Jebs stock is shooting down for 3rd place and shooting up for 2nd place for SC.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Prorat posted:

While W is speaking, Jebs stock is shooting down for 3rd place and shooting up for 2nd place for SC.

W has never given a speech that good on anything before. Jeb for third would be a strech but 2nd? It's getting easier and easier to make money from this thing.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I think of this week is successful for Bush then he will get 3rd with Rubio 4th. Trump/Cruz 1
And 2 obviously.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
If Bush comes in 3rd or higher, Rubio is hosed and can at best place 4th. It's not like JEB! is going to be pulling any Trump voters.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You
New poll out showing Cruz and Rubio in a dead heat.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/sc/south_carolina_republican_presidential_primary-4151.html

I'm getting really nervous about that 50 bucks I put on Cruz for 2nd...

railroad terror
Jul 2, 2007

choo choo
Made about 25 bucks by buying Jeb 2nd shares at 9 cents and selling at 13. Realizing now I probably could have made even more by being a little less conservative. Oh well, profit is profit.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Right now someone is selling their 850 dollars worth of 3rd Place Trump for 2 cents after buying it for 1.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

UnoriginalMind posted:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2016/president/sc/south_carolina_republican_presidential_primary-4151.html

If that poll is right, JEB! is just as in it for 2nd as either of them.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Gyges posted:

If that poll is right, JEB! is just as in it for 2nd as either of them.

Man. I am really bad at this.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

UnoriginalMind posted:

Looks like I made the right decision unloading those 1200 Cruz.NO shares when they were 72+

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I can't really find any real information on the reliability of SC House GOP polls though.

In their Friday poll they had
Trump 34.5%
Cruz 15.5%
Bush 13%
Rubio 12.5%
Kasich 8.5%
Carson 5%

Und. 11%

But those are the only two polls I'm seeing on their twitter going back to October. So they polled on 2/11-2/12 and they polled on 2/14 and released the results separately. The only thing I found doing a quick search on them that wasn't just repeating their results is some right wing blog called fitsnews.com.

Gyges has issued a correction as of 02:28 on Feb 16, 2016

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Hmm. Bill Kristol's mystery poll from last week really was bullshit.

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme
New SC PPP poll just dropped.

quote:

Behind Trump, who has 35 percent support in the poll, U.S. Sens. Marco Rubio of Florida and Ted Cruz of Texas are tied for second place — at 18 percent each, according to a Public Policy Polling survey released exclusively Monday to The State.

Ohio Gov. John Kasich is in forth at 10 percent support, followed by former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush and retired neurosurgeon Ben Carson, tied with 7 percent support each.[/quite]

[quote]n the Democratic race, frontrunner Hillary Clinton still holds a double-digit lead — 55-34 — over U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders, according to a separate poll of 525 likely Democratic primary voters.

Sanders and Clinton are tied among white S.C. voters, the poll said. But Clinton has a strong lead among African-American voters, expected to make up more than half of Democratic primary voters. Among those voters, 63 percent said they back Clinton compared to 23 percent for Sanders.

http://www.thestate.com/news/politics-government/politics-columns-blogs/the-buzz/article60547281.html

edit: whoops already posted sorry :V

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Oh snap I forgot I had a $90 buy order for CRUZ.2ND.NO @ 65c. Oh well, I'm glad it went through, aint no way Rubio's beating Cruz in SC. I don't care WHAT those polls say!

Looks like 65c might have been the bottom too :toot: But even if not I'm probably holding 'till the end.

Trash Trick has issued a correction as of 02:47 on Feb 16, 2016

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
When all else fails, trust our lord and savior RCP

(PS that 26-24 Trump-Cruz poll was an internal Super PAC poll, so most likely it's skewed bullshit)

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
NBC good enough for RCP?

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/15/donald-trump-hits-new-high-38-percent-national-pol/

Hrmm...perhaps his numbers will decline after he wins South Carolina and Nevada...

The Real Paddy has issued a correction as of 12:21 on Feb 16, 2016

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Real Paddy posted:

NBC good enough for RCP?

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/dec/15/donald-trump-hits-new-high-38-percent-national-pol/

Hrmm...perhaps his numbers will decline after he wins South Carolina and Nevada...

This story is from December 2015.

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Arkane posted:

This story is from December 2015.

Huh whoops, well I saw it on Morning Joe, should have checked the link better. I'll try to find the correct information online, but it's real as gently caress.

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
For your pleasure:

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trump-maintains-national-lead-heading-south-carolina-n519091

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arkane
Dec 19, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, that is an online poll and is not used in RCP (or at least, has not been so far).

The Real Paddy
Aug 21, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Arkane posted:

Yeah, that is an online poll and is not used in RCP (or at least, has not been so far).

Thanks, good to know. I checked and didn't see it added, not really sure what the turnaround on that is...still...it does trend right along with that 44 (very probably) outlier. Just thought I'd keep information current.

[Edit] And that poll has a nice MoE: +/- 2.1%.

The Real Paddy has issued a correction as of 14:14 on Feb 16, 2016

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

trump winning MA is a no-brainer, especially when he takes SC, right?

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

Abel Wingnut posted:

trump winning MA is a no-brainer, especially when he takes SC, right?
Check the polls, and double-check to see how MA voted in 2012 and 2008 as well. Most recent MA one was a Feb 9-11 sampling and he's up in the 30s on Rubio (who's in the teens). A SC win will help but I definitely don't think he needs it to win MA --- the polls have been scarce but he's been leading there since the early fall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
He will win MA.

• Locked thread