Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

I have to say that before the Jrod saga began here I thought of Libertarians as goofy fat stage magicians and republicans who weren't so hosed up about gay people (and who could maybe be worked with, which I do still think about some), but now I'm pretty confident those people are just rubes and real-deal libertarianism at the think-tank level Jrod lifts from are closer to the madness of dark enlightenment people.

I'm also more convinced than ever that Jrod is some kind of unpaid mises institute activist evangelizing the internet because they love doing that poo poo. Their lovely wrong ideas can't perpetuate themselves through successful real-life historical or modern examples (or by simple logic) so they have to send a little rat gently caress like Jrod out to spread their defective bullshit meme. Impoverished by the decision of his handlers not to pay him for his passionate work also explains why Jrod had to resort to selling pirated blu rays and simulating the human vagina with a little hole carved into a melon.

I normally shy away from paid shill accusations, since that's usually the fodder of dimwits, but in this case I think it's an acceptable question. Normally that sort of poo poo is supposed to be an attack on one's credibility, but Jrod already demolished that a long time ago and doesn't actually defend his arguments, so whatever

Personally I think that jrod is just a true believer, and days when he comes and posts here are days when he forgets to take his meds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I've thought as much myself before. The few times jrod has directly talked about the website itself seriously read like a paid ad to me.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
Mises.org is a thinly veiled Southern Revanchist website, full to the brim with white supremacists, Neo-Confederates, and false information. I used to believe jrod deserved pity, but I've learned his ignorance is very much intentional. Neo-Confederates and other traitor apologists deserve nothing but contempt.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Before this thread gets locked, I just want to say I enjoyed it and will miss it and all of you. Except for Jrod.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Ratoslov posted:

Before this thread gets locked, I just want to say I enjoyed it and will miss it and all of you. Except for Jrod.

I mean, there is a whole other Libertarianism thread...

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It genuinely saddens me that a fantastically informative but comedy gold thread is going to be closed.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

It genuinely saddens me that a fantastically informative but comedy gold thread is going to be closed.

The other Libertarianism thread still provides that, it kind of experienced a lull once this one popped up but there's no reason that you can't find more of the same information and comedy there

HP Artsandcrafts
Oct 3, 2012

Time after time Jrode you have proven one thing, Libertarianism is absolutely good for nothing. It can't and more importantly won't stop the ills that plague societies. Its attempts at any sort of correction is the the equivalent of slapping a band-aid on your gushing stump after you shoved your arm into the garbage disposal.

HP Artsandcrafts fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Feb 15, 2016

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

Time after time Jrode you have proven one thing, Libertarianism is absolutely good for nothing. It can't and more importantly won't stop the ills that plague societies. Its attempts at any sort of correction is the the equivalent of slapping a band-aid on your gushing stump after you shoved your arm into the garbage disposal.

Libertarianism is basically Logical Fallacies: The Politics Version. Top to bottom it's just magical thinking and "well if it didn't work you didn't do it right."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

HP Artsandcrafts posted:

I think the long and the short of its appeal other than magical thinking is "we will legalize weed!" If and when the reefer becomes widely legal I expect they will either contract greatly or just become openly the racist party.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Captain_Maclaine posted:

*Orchestra swells*
I had a dream this thread would be
So different from the sperg I'm reading
So different now from what it seemed
Jrod has killed the dream I dreamed

:smith:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Nessus posted:

I think the long and the short of its appeal other than magical thinking is "we will legalize weed!" If and when the reefer becomes widely legal I expect they will either contract greatly or just become openly the racist party.

That's its appeal to younger, more liberally-minded libertarians. Plenty of older libertarians who would happily craft a DRO region that bans pot (if you don't like it then you can just leave and live somewhere else, so it's still freedom)

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
A turd is a turd all the live long day, and just a such is jrod

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
The real tragedy of this thread is jrode's inability to actually respond. I know it's like twenty of us against one him, but there are some situations I'd really like to throw at a libertarian to see how they'd respond. For example, the horror of building code violations that is the apartment building that collapsed in Tainan (Taiwan) during the last earthquake we just had. How would a libertarian respond to this? Or would we never know because there'd be no regulations or investigators? How many more people would have died or still be trapped because of privatization of emergency services, and would those people saved now owe money to those services? Would the families of the recovered owe money for the retrieval of the deceased? Would there be any way to recover lost property or wealth, or would everyone be s.o.l.?

The only thing this thread had convinced me regarding property rights is that it should be an extension of human rights, not the other way around. Property rights should allow us to settle disputes in a fair and sane manner, but should always take a back seat when it comes in conflict with human rights.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Your constant harassment of Jrodefeld, in contravention of the NAP, has finally come back against you. Howling about how "this totally isn't initiatory violence you guys", a force of libertarian Beastmen has come to his aid and virtually destroy your clan. Almost all of your combatants are dead. Half of your non-combatants are slain or were taken as voluntary indentured workers with no coercement or aggression. The victorious libertarians destroyed your fortifications, drove off most of your livestock, looted your steads and clan hall, and hosed all your remaining melons. Many ring members were slain fighting the members of FurryDRO. In short, the future looks bleak for your clan. Should the survivors seek membership in other clans, or soldier on, despite impossible odds?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think this thread is going places. How about a page of closing statements followed by closure? :shobon:

As the last clan members left the tula, one of our more poetic carls gazed back at the empty steads, ruined fortifications, and hole-filled melons. Before turning away for the last time, he uttered our final words: "We will not be remembered as a great clan. Or even an adequate clan. If the sagas mention us at all, they will recall our terrible mistakes. We acted when we should have listened, propped up the State when we should have devolved to feudalism, and failed to Ron Paul end the Fed. Our people dispersed, our ring disgraced, our tula abandoned, our currency devalued. Thus ends our sorry tale, the tale of clan Goones."

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

YF19pilot posted:

The real tragedy of this thread is jrode's inability to actually respond. I know it's like twenty of us against one him, but there are some situations I'd really like to throw at a libertarian to see how they'd respond. For example, the horror of building code violations that is the apartment building that collapsed in Tainan (Taiwan) during the last earthquake we just had. How would a libertarian respond to this? Or would we never know because there'd be no regulations or investigators? How many more people would have died or still be trapped because of privatization of emergency services, and would those people saved now owe money to those services? Would the families of the recovered owe money for the retrieval of the deceased? Would there be any way to recover lost property or wealth, or would everyone be s.o.l.?

The only thing this thread had convinced me regarding property rights is that it should be an extension of human rights, not the other way around. Property rights should allow us to settle disputes in a fair and sane manner, but should always take a back seat when it comes in conflict with human rights.

Anyone who built an apartment building not up to code would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants to live in an apartment building that would collapse on them, so there wouldn't be any shoddy apartment buildings in the first place. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good apartment buildings from bad is simply another problem for the market to solve, and anyone who ran a shoddy information service would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants a shoddy information service. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good information services from bad is simply another problem for the market to solve, and anyone who ran a shoddy information service would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants a shoddy information service. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good information services from bad is simply another problem for the market to solve, and anyone who ran a shoddy information service would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants a shoddy information service. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good information services from bad is simply another problem for the market to solve, and anyone who ran a shoddy information service would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants a shoddy information service. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good information services from bad is simply another problem for the market to solve, and anyone who ran a shoddy information service would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants a shoddy information service. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good information services from bad is simply another problem for the market to solve, and anyone who ran a shoddy information service would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants a shoddy information service. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good information services from bad is simply another...

Repeat ad infinitum.

Like, I want to believe really badly that there's some kind of solid basis to libertarianism, that there's some kind of burger to be had if I can just get through the bun, but the bun is all there is. It seems to break down along one of three lines. 1) Legalize weed! Anti-War! 2)Freedom! (without an understanding that freedom for some places obligations on others) 3) loving NIG-I mean-Freedom!

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
My closing statement is Jrode is a pussy rear end ho.

Suck deez non-aggression nuts, bitch. :mario:

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Buried alive posted:

Anyone who built an apartment building not up to code would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants to live in an apartment building that would collapse on them, so there wouldn't be any shoddy apartment buildings in the first place. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good apartment buildings from bad is simply another problem for the market to solve, and anyone who ran a shoddy information service would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants a shoddy information service. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good information services from bad is simply another problem for the market to solve, and anyone who ran a shoddy information service would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants a shoddy information service. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good information services from bad is simply another problem for the market to solve, and anyone who ran a shoddy information service would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants a shoddy information service. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good information services from bad is simply another problem for the market to solve, and anyone who ran a shoddy information service would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants a shoddy information service. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good information services from bad is simply another problem for the market to solve, and anyone who ran a shoddy information service would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants a shoddy information service. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good information services from bad is simply another problem for the market to solve, and anyone who ran a shoddy information service would quickly find himself bankrupt, as no one actually wants a shoddy information service. Any troubles that might exist with the retrieving and propagating of information in order to discern good information services from bad is simply another...

Repeat ad infinitum.

Like, I want to believe really badly that there's some kind of solid basis to libertarianism, that there's some kind of burger to be had if I can just get through the bun, but the bun is all there is. It seems to break down along one of three lines. 1) Legalize weed! Anti-War! 2)Freedom! (without an understanding that freedom for some places obligations on others) 3) loving NIG-I mean-Freedom!

I think that's a really effective way to make that argument, and thanks for doing so. I haven't seen it like that before and it really shows the endless retreat of Libertarianism. I think this is often-times actually, like, pleasurable or something for Libertarians. You point out any one of those problems, and they point out the 'solution' which is really just setting up the next problem, and it really seems to satisfy them. It reminds me a lot of the 'no transitional forms' argument of anti-evolutionary people.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Closing statement:

This thread has actually taught me a ton about history and economics, because those who rebuked Jrod were FAR more intelligent than him.

It also confirmed that Libertarianism is an ideology for stupid babbys who just learned what object permanence is and don't want to learn past that point.

I also made internet friends.

Can't wait for Jrod to open another thread!

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
I am no Caros, but I'm pretty sure Jrod never once replied to anything I said, and he almost never actually integrates new factual information into his understanding of the world either, so we're pretty much where we started on that front.

I learn way too much about the world by way of smart people correcting dumb people, so I've learned a ton from the smart posters in this thread correcting Jrod.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012
Now how will I choose between ValhallaDRO and ImmortanDRO?

Also fun history learnin's since I knew approximately nothing about that whole mild disagreement over property rights in the US.

...we should care about property rights since the claims made under varying interpretations of those rights can lead to discord and war. Abolish property rights!

Caros
May 14, 2008

Closing arguments. If jrodefeld returns for even a single additional comment his general poo poo posting will have outlasted my marriage.

Stop and think about how much time you have wasted jrodefeld. I hope you learn to do something better with your life you heaping sack of poo poo.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Requesting a final closing statement from Jrode in lasting testament to how much of a punk rear end bitch he is.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

Requesting a final closing statement from Jrode in lasting testament to how much of a punk rear end bitch he is.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Caros posted:

Closing arguments. If jrodefeld returns for even a single additional comment his general poo poo posting will have outlasted my marriage.

Wait... poo poo, dude. :(

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jrode please answer: Who is Galt Se?

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

JVNO posted:

So what happens when your charities and good will toward men do not fully meat the needs of the desperate and unemployed? Are they to lie down in a gutter and die?

I can't imagine the types of wishful thinking going on for Jrod to think simply eliminating taxes and big government means people will be wealthy and altruistic enough to cover the cost of all the people currently on social programs. Of course libertarians don't dwell in the realm of facts, do they? What is it they say about praxeology and libertarianism- it cannot fail, it can only be failed?

I've explained this to you many times over the course of this thread, but I'll try once again.

If your primary interest is the well-being of the most poor, then what you ought to support is a society in which the most prosperity can be generated. A more physically productive economy with higher economic growth and capital investment creates the conditions by which people can be taken care of. To create the wealth in society that would be needed to generate a comfortable living standard for the maximum number of people, as history has taught us, you need to embrace a free market economy, private property rights, and keep the State restrained to the adjudication of disputes and the defense of individual rights.

I've cited studies that rank the countries of the world in accordance with their adherence to economic liberty as defined by libertarians to bolster this position. There are many such studies that have been done by libertarian and free market institutions. Instead of understanding the larger point, all you replied with was "why are the United Arab Emirates and Qatar on the list?", "This just proves libertarians are really racists."

This is so staggeringly disingenuous. I never claimed to be any sort of expert in the policies of Qatar or UAE and my goal was simply to give a sample of the sort of literature that has been done on the subject of economic freedom around the world. If you would look at the broader picture, you would see a very strong correlation between adherence to free market principles and the general prosperity and living standards of the populations of those countries.

It has almost become conventional wisdom in the past twenty years or so that if we really want to uplift the poor of the world, the single best reform to advocate is economic liberalization. It has succeeded where foreign aid, charity and State controls have failed. Hong Kong is oft cited as a success story. The ease by which an entrepreneur can start a business and the legal defense of contract and property are critical to capital accumulation and investment which creates prosperity and enables a middle class to emerge.

If you deny that market liberalization and restraint of the State are necessary prerequisites for creating the prosperity needed to provide the poor with jobs and a decent standard of living, we only have to have a thought experiment. Take all your favorite Progressive policies, workplace safety regulations, minimum wage laws, occupational licensure laws, punitive high tax-rates on the highest income bracket and so forth and apply them to Malawi (one of the poorest nations in the world), see how much better you will make the poor in that country. The logical result will be, at best, no discernible effect on poverty rates, and more likely an even worse experience for the people who have to suffer in that third world nation.

Exporting "Progressive" policies to third world nations has actually been tried, with predictably disastrous results. Eliminating child labor in third world nations had the horrifying result of sending children into child prostitution and other more dangerous and degrading occupations. The reason should be obvious. Children don't work in poor countries because they want to, or that they all have horrible parents. They work because the economy is so poor and unproductive, they will starve if they don't. The most effective way to improve working conditions for the poor and eliminate child labor is to adopt policies that attract capital investment to make the economy more physically productive. This raises real wages and stocks store shelves with an abundance of goods that allow people to work less hours, have more leisure and purchase the needed products that allow for a comfortable standard of living.

The message here is that by moving towards greater economic freedom, making it easier for entrepreneurs to start businesses, eliminating occupational licensing, reducing tax rates and government spending which allows more capital investment, the predictable outcome will be greater economic productivity, which results in lower consumer prices, higher real wages and more economic opportunities for both wage earners and entrepreneurs.

The effect of these reforms would be that less people would need charity and there would be more disposable income to provide for those that still did. It is an absolute fallacy to think that the private economy would need to match, dollar for dollar, the amount spent by the State on social welfare. If observable reality about the way governments and the private market work has taught us anything, it is that private sector enterprises can produce equivalent or superior results at a fraction of the cost of the State.

What I'm trying to get across to you is that it is economic freedom and the market economy which is the engine by which prosperity is created and adopting policies which needlessly hinder free economic transactions and opportunities hurt all in society but especially the poor.

Even places like Sweden which have State-funded social programs so loved by the left are only able to finance them due to decades of relatively laissez-faire, free market policies which produced such a level of prosperity that their economies don't crumble under their weight.

It reminds me of the Progressives who argue that the general prosperity and healthy middle class that we observed in the middle of the twentieth century in the United States is attributable entirely to the GI bill and the high marginal tax rates imposed on the wealthy, somehow ignoring the century of relative laissez-faire economic freedom which permitted such a massive creation of prosperity, capital accumulation and physical productivity. THAT is the source of the vibrant middle class and the living standards we enjoy. The State interventions and programs piled onto this productive base only hinder the rising living standards and economic opportunities that would help out the poor and vulnerable.

I'd hope you'd agree with me that a good job with a good wage is more valuable to a poor person than being dependent on a State hand-out. I also don't believe that people are as helpless without daddy government as you seem to think. Free people, communities, charity, mutual aid societies, entrepreneurs and churches will be able to assist the few remaining poor people in a free society as well as any system could ever help them.

To think that only the State is capable to helping people is to someone assume that the motives of people in politics are somehow much more pure and altruistic than people in the private sector. You'd have to assume that perverse incentives don't exist in politics and social welfare programs are really designed to ultimately help uplift people rather than buying off people with bribes in exchange for votes. I'd really suggest you check out a field of study called "Public Choice Economics" which evaluates the motivations of public officials through an economic lens.

What you are falling victim to is the inevitable inertia of tradition. We've been taught for several generations that the only way to help out with social problems, take care of the elderly, provide medical care to people and help the poor is through government policy and democratic elections. Public schools inculcate these ideas in peoples heads and we lose the ability to imagine innovative alternatives. We assume they don't exist.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Jrode you're a fuckin punk bitch coward with a tiny dick and no balls fight me pussy

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
jrodefeld, are you really going to present a wall of bald assertions as your closing argument for this thread?

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

jrodefeld posted:

I've explained this to you many times over the course of this thread, but I'll try once again.

If your primary interest is the well-being of the most poor, then what you ought to support is a society in which the most prosperity can be generated. A more physically productive economy with higher economic growth and capital investment creates the conditions by which people can be taken care of. To create the wealth in society that would be needed to generate a comfortable living standard for the maximum number of people, as history has taught us, you need to embrace a free market economy, private property rights, and keep the State restrained to the adjudication of disputes and the defense of individual rights.

I've cited studies that rank the countries of the world in accordance with their adherence to economic liberty as defined by libertarians to bolster this position. There are many such studies that have been done by libertarian and free market institutions. Instead of understanding the larger point, all you replied with was "why are the United Arab Emirates and Qatar on the list?", "This just proves libertarians are really racists."

This is so staggeringly disingenuous. I never claimed to be any sort of expert in the policies of Qatar or UAE and my goal was simply to give a sample of the sort of literature that has been done on the subject of economic freedom around the world. If you would look at the broader picture, you would see a very strong correlation between adherence to free market principles and the general prosperity and living standards of the populations of those countries.

It has almost become conventional wisdom in the past twenty years or so that if we really want to uplift the poor of the world, the single best reform to advocate is economic liberalization. It has succeeded where foreign aid, charity and State controls have failed. Hong Kong is oft cited as a success story. The ease by which an entrepreneur can start a business and the legal defense of contract and property are critical to capital accumulation and investment which creates prosperity and enables a middle class to emerge.

If you deny that market liberalization and restraint of the State are necessary prerequisites for creating the prosperity needed to provide the poor with jobs and a decent standard of living, we only have to have a thought experiment. Take all your favorite Progressive policies, workplace safety regulations, minimum wage laws, occupational licensure laws, punitive high tax-rates on the highest income bracket and so forth and apply them to Malawi (one of the poorest nations in the world), see how much better you will make the poor in that country. The logical result will be, at best, no discernible effect on poverty rates, and more likely an even worse experience for the people who have to suffer in that third world nation.

Exporting "Progressive" policies to third world nations has actually been tried, with predictably disastrous results. Eliminating child labor in third world nations had the horrifying result of sending children into child prostitution and other more dangerous and degrading occupations. The reason should be obvious. Children don't work in poor countries because they want to, or that they all have horrible parents. They work because the economy is so poor and unproductive, they will starve if they don't. The most effective way to improve working conditions for the poor and eliminate child labor is to adopt policies that attract capital investment to make the economy more physically productive. This raises real wages and stocks store shelves with an abundance of goods that allow people to work less hours, have more leisure and purchase the needed products that allow for a comfortable standard of living.

The message here is that by moving towards greater economic freedom, making it easier for entrepreneurs to start businesses, eliminating occupational licensing, reducing tax rates and government spending which allows more capital investment, the predictable outcome will be greater economic productivity, which results in lower consumer prices, higher real wages and more economic opportunities for both wage earners and entrepreneurs.

The effect of these reforms would be that less people would need charity and there would be more disposable income to provide for those that still did. It is an absolute fallacy to think that the private economy would need to match, dollar for dollar, the amount spent by the State on social welfare. If observable reality about the way governments and the private market work has taught us anything, it is that private sector enterprises can produce equivalent or superior results at a fraction of the cost of the State.

What I'm trying to get across to you is that it is economic freedom and the market economy which is the engine by which prosperity is created and adopting policies which needlessly hinder free economic transactions and opportunities hurt all in society but especially the poor.

Even places like Sweden which have State-funded social programs so loved by the left are only able to finance them due to decades of relatively laissez-faire, free market policies which produced such a level of prosperity that their economies don't crumble under their weight.

It reminds me of the Progressives who argue that the general prosperity and healthy middle class that we observed in the middle of the twentieth century in the United States is attributable entirely to the GI bill and the high marginal tax rates imposed on the wealthy, somehow ignoring the century of relative laissez-faire economic freedom which permitted such a massive creation of prosperity, capital accumulation and physical productivity. THAT is the source of the vibrant middle class and the living standards we enjoy. The State interventions and programs piled onto this productive base only hinder the rising living standards and economic opportunities that would help out the poor and vulnerable.

I'd hope you'd agree with me that a good job with a good wage is more valuable to a poor person than being dependent on a State hand-out. I also don't believe that people are as helpless without daddy government as you seem to think. Free people, communities, charity, mutual aid societies, entrepreneurs and churches will be able to assist the few remaining poor people in a free society as well as any system could ever help them.

To think that only the State is capable to helping people is to someone assume that the motives of people in politics are somehow much more pure and altruistic than people in the private sector. You'd have to assume that perverse incentives don't exist in politics and social welfare programs are really designed to ultimately help uplift people rather than buying off people with bribes in exchange for votes. I'd really suggest you check out a field of study called "Public Choice Economics" which evaluates the motivations of public officials through an economic lens.

What you are falling victim to is the inevitable inertia of tradition. We've been taught for several generations that the only way to help out with social problems, take care of the elderly, provide medical care to people and help the poor is through government policy and democratic elections. Public schools inculcate these ideas in peoples heads and we lose the ability to imagine innovative alternatives. We assume they don't exist.

Wrong.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
:lol:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Oh come on Jrod. The Sweden thing again? REALLY?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Absurd Alhazred posted:

jrodefeld, are you really going to present a wall of bald assertions as your closing argument for this thread?

If you close this he's just going to start a new one dude, just leave it

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Might wanna check on that again, I praxed it out and it looks like states and nationalizing the means of production actually work way better. Did you remember to take the natural log at the end of the third step?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

jrodefeld posted:

Stupid bullshit written by a melon rapist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I can't believe these Statist morons ignored my awesome list of free countries to nit-pick about how one or two of them "actually practice slavery"!!?? Gosh!!!!!!!

jrodefeld
Sep 22, 2012

by Shine

VitalSigns posted:

Wait. Wait wait wait. So stealing a loaf of bread if your family is starving and leaving the store owner with (at best) an uncollectable judgment against you, is the right and moral thing to do? And pursuing a judgment against a thief is the immoral thing to do? :siren::siren:Why would you want a legal system that punishes morality and protects immorality?:siren::siren:

Well I have a suggestion for you: what if we formalize this morality you're proposing and tax the store owners to give the poor people food stamps so they can buy the bread. Same outcome: the poor person eats and the store owner is still out the cost of the bread, only everyone benefits because store windows aren't smashed and nobody risks getting hurt or shot in food-related robberies all the loving time!

You should seriously question the morality of your legal system if your answer to this and other lifeboat situations is "well people should just act morally anyway and then deal with the criminal consequences via the fool-proof legal strategy 'aw come on guys, don't be dicks about it' ". I mean really, that's your solution for poverty? The poor should just break in and steal and then hope that the people who didn't give them charity are all "oh don't worry about my smashed windows and lost inventory, it's fiiiiiiiiiine"?!?!

No, you're misunderstanding what I was saying. I'm not saying it would be "moral" to stealing the property of another if you are in a desperate situation. What I am saying is that it would be understandable that a person in an extreme and unusual situation will not be in a position to carefully consider the moral implications of his or her actions. If a starving person stole a loaf of bread from a baker, then just restitution would require that he pay the baker back when he is in a position to do so. In fact, most decent people would gladly provide a starving person with a loaf of bread with an agreement to be payed back later. What I am saying to you is that social pressure and ostracism can compel moral behavior even when the arguably immoral act is not against the law. It would be entirely legal for a storeowner to refuse to give a loaf of bread to a starving man, but it would be considered moral for the store-owner to work out some arrangement by which the starving man could get the food he needs. Maybe he'd be asked to pay the cost later, or work a half hour to pay off the cost or he could simply give the man the food for free. These would be considered virtuous acts worthy of praise. But he is not legally obligated to do so.

Have you heard the expression "hard cases make bad laws?" No matter what legal or social system you have, there will always be extreme and unusual cases where a clear, correct and consistent principle is difficult to determine. The Courts have a role in trying their best to do justice in conflicts involving difficult circumstances. The fact of a man literally starving would certainly be a mitigating circumstance in a case of shop lifting and the punishment should naturally be lighter than a person who just shop lifts for the fun of it.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Jrodefeld, translated to English: https://youtube.com/watch?v=G4dKCXIpACY

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

Jrod, are you coming back? Hopefully with some stats about Sweden instead of links to bullshit articles?

edit: since you've got time, you should talk about what you think this table is saying:

edit2: Before you ask, allow me to calculate average Capital ownership of the bottom 50% in distribution scenarios of 2010 America vs 1970-80 Sweden. I might have done this awkwardly, but the point is that even in a country with a GDP dwarfed by that of the USA, a distribution like that of 1970-80 Sweden is far, far better for those at the bottom.

Here's some poo poo about how your statement above, "The best solution to poverty is to have as large an economy as possible," is wrong. Distribution matters more than size. The table compares the current GDP and populations of Sweden and America, broken down by America's current Capital/Income Ratio and Sweden's K/I ratio from 1970-1980. You'll see that people in the bottom 50% are in fact much better off in terms of wealth under a Swedish level of relatively more equal distribution, even if their country's overall wealth is lower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Thanks Jrod, for proving what I said in my previous post completely correct. The above post would literally be impossible for anyone who read this thread or the previous one and possessed the ability to take in new information.

• Locked thread