Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Cicadalek posted:

Also someone pointed out that it's weird that Wilbur learned semaphore, but I find it even weirder that he is using semaphore to direct a blinded pig.
He's Some Pig.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

New mic! Getting used to it. Also, a cautionary tale on party composition. Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Dqlvy2rFk

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Still no grumblebus. Unsubcribed.

edit: please source your quotes. "According to people on the Something Awful forums I am amazing at this game" - said no one here. You make absolutely terrible decisions during fights but your voice and style was entertaining. Was.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 16, 2016

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
Houndmaster/Houndmaster/Houndmaster + anything not terrible in front position seems like cheating. It's what I've used to beat most of the lvl 5 bosses. On to the Darkest Dungeon soon :pray:.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Well, unless you've got 12 Houndmasters, you'll have to change it up.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

katkillad2 posted:

Houndmaster/Houndmaster/Houndmaster + anything not terrible in front position seems like cheating. It's what I've used to beat most of the lvl 5 bosses. On to the Darkest Dungeon soon :pray:.

What do you do with three Houndmasters? Mark and Hound's rush over and over? Or are their skills just versatile enough (stress and HP heals, stun, can hit any row with Hound's Rush) that they're that good?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Slot 2 HM has Blackjack, the others have other stuff, only one really needs to take the Mark, and they can all have Rush+Harry+Lick. It's not the worst combination I can think of, except in the Ruins perhaps.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Nakar posted:

Slot 2 HM has Blackjack, the others have other stuff, only one really needs to take the Mark, and they can all have Rush+Harry+Lick. It's not the worst combination I can think of, except in the Ruins perhaps.

Someone mentioned four Crusaders a while ago. If you got lucky with speed and managed to get four Holy Lances off in one turn that would be pretty obscene in the Ruins.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD

Deckit posted:

New mic! Getting used to it. Also, a cautionary tale on party composition. Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7Dqlvy2rFk

I complained about this on youtube but I'm going to publicly shame you about it further here: Your new mike audio seems kinda off. At the very least, the game audio is way quiet now.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Ranter posted:

Still no grumblebus. Unsubcribed.

edit: please source your quotes. "According to people on the Something Awful forums I am amazing at this game" - said no one here. You make absolutely terrible decisions during fights but your voice and style was entertaining. Was.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRRCXchyM5Y

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Goddammit Chatwood, one more turn and you'dve been home free! :argh:

Lunged by her own buddy and then deathblow'd by the siren's stress attack, a pathetic fate

also, probably the most straightforward map I've ever been on

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Okay this is my favorite DD post.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Muraena
Feb 18, 2013

Justice. Honor. Anime~
Mesmerizing.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

MacheteZombie posted:

Okay this is my favorite DD post.

Muraena posted:

Mesmerizing.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
This is how the ancestor fell into the depths of madness

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like the impro------- *has seizure"

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
This is such a good thread.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NEM-B-oad0

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

RubberBands Hurt
Dec 13, 2004

seriously, wtf
Miron so fat, everyone else's tides turn first.

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

I'm seriously contemplating making an abomination virtue-fishing team and I need someone to talk me out of it.

Hypothetically, the Crest of the 1100 and the Ancestor's tentacle idol combined give you +50% virtue chance. Irrepressible give you another 5% if you're lucky, and there's a backer Abomination that starts with it if you want to go for that. There's nothing stopping you from rotating trinkets between party members mid-mission, so presumably you'd try to drive one person crazy at a time.

Furthermore, the resilient quirk and the ancestor's scroll give a combined +35% stress relief (though let's be real you'll probably just have the trinket). Remember that afflictions disappear if you reach 0 stress; a jester could heal an afflicted party member with that setup for about 88 stress for a time cost of 5 in camp, and both the jester's stress heal and the abomination's self-heal could easily polish off the remainder.

Of course, the main problem is that you're spending a whole bunch of trinket slots and arranging a whole composition to accomplish almost nothing, but what are a few dead adventurers to the progress of science?

Androc fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Feb 17, 2016

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
You should tell the devs to put in an achievement for that just to have chievo-hunters crying.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ffffriday night

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Can a kind goon link me the Less Crests mod one of you made? I can't find the link.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

When she tell you monstrous size has no intrinsic merit.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Azran posted:

Can a kind goon link me the Less Crests mod one of you made? I can't find the link.
I made a version that does that but at the moment it's tied up in a second mod that swaps Deeds and Busts between the Sanitarium and Stage Coach. I can probably fix it to just the Crest thing if you don't want that but you'd have to give me some time on it. It'd just require going back through vanilla files and lowering Crest costs I guess.

Also here's that mod I promised that swaps gold costs to buildings and heirlooms to hero upgrades. I don't promise it's balanced or makes sense or works very well at all as I have not playtested it beyond "does this function and not crash the game" (it does and it does not).

Speaking of which, for no reason last night I made a mod that completely removes all RNG from damage rolls and almost all RNG from Speed. All player and monster damage rolls are normalized to their average and all speed values are octupled so that the random component only applies to speed ties. I was mostly just curious about it as a thought experiment and I do not recommend this as a serious balance thing but hey if you're sick of "bullshit RNG" now all you have to worry about is whether an attack is a crit or not! Also Wilbur has 160 Speed. I do not know if this will crash anything, but I don't think so.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Should upload these to :nexus: Nexus :nexus: to see the response

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Androc posted:

I'm seriously contemplating making an abomination virtue-fishing team and I need someone to talk me out of it.

Hypothetically, the Crest of the 1100 and the Ancestor's tentacle idol combined give you +50% virtue chance. Irrepressible give you another 5% if you're lucky, and there's a backer Abomination that starts with it if you want to go for that. There's nothing stopping you from rotating trinkets between party members mid-mission, so presumably you'd try to drive one person crazy at a time.

Furthermore, the resilient quirk and the ancestor's scroll give a combined +35% stress relief (though let's be real you'll probably just have the trinket). Remember that afflictions disappear if you reach 0 stress; a jester could heal an afflicted party member with that setup for about 88 stress for a time cost of 5 in camp, and both the jester's stress heal and the abomination's self-heal could easily polish off the remainder.

Of course, the main problem is that you're spending a whole bunch of trinket slots and arranging a whole composition to accomplish almost nothing, but what are a few dead adventurers to the progress of science?

The question here is '+50%' of what?

We don't know if it's flat or the equivalent of '+50%...but the base chance is 10%, so the final value is 15%'.

I suppose it's worth doing just to finally find out. Didn't someone mention here that virtue chance is the only thing that isn't in the files?

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 17, 2016

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together

Bloodly posted:

The question here is '+50%' of what?

We don't know if it's flat or the equivalent of '+50%...but the base chance is 10%, so the final value is 15%'.

I suppose it's worth doing just to finally find out. Didn't someone mention here that virtue chance is the only thing that isn't in the files?

Surely it works like the rest of +% chance values, where if you have a 25% virtue chance then +50% would make it 75%. I don't think they would deviate from that formula unless Red Hook wanted to be real assholes about it.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

quote:

unless Red Hook wanted to be real assholes about it.

Which probably means it's worse than even that.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Almost all modifiers in DD are additive, and one of the Red Hook guys said on reddit at some point that the base Virtue chance is 25%. So yeah, two +25% trinkets should give a character a Virtue three times out of four. But a 25% chance of still getting Afflicted isn't exactly reliable, as strategies go.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Are there any modifiers that aren't additive besides +DMG modifiers to AoE attacks?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Mzbundifund posted:

Are there any modifiers that aren't additive besides +DMG modifiers to AoE attacks?
As far as I know the damage multipliers attached to skills are the only ones not additive with all other bonuses. All +DMG% from buffs, quirks, and trinkets is added together to modify the base damage (and is actually two effects, +x% to minimum damage and +x% to maximum damage). The final skill then multiplies that base damage. And I think they only did that because of the AoE nerf, since otherwise you could easily counterbalance the damage penalty of Grapeshot Blast and the like and do better-than-full damage to 3 enemies.

Jackard posted:

Should upload these to :nexus: Nexus :nexus: to see the response
I kind of want to see if I can somehow reduce RNG even more in a way that would annoy people. Like completely deterministic loot tables, so you always get the exact same drops from fights depending on light level and maybe the same results from all curios. I think it's possible, I just don't know exactly how to change things to do it.

I tried out the less-RNG mod last night and it's actually kind of rough because at the start of the game there's no access to +SPD trinkets so Bone Courtiers always get off a Tempting Goblet and there's zero chance of my Plague Doctor going before them. :downs:

Nakar fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 17, 2016

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No-RNG DD sounds pretty funny. Map layouts are identical for every combination of length, location, and mission type. Traps always in the same places. Scouting always happens if scout chance is high enough for a given room's scouting threshold. Enemies cycle attacks 100% predictably. Always lose your third trinket the fifth time you send someone to gamble.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
You guys saw the post about the newest character class over on the main site, right?

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/the-antiquarian/

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Ironically, the map generator is one of the least random aspects of the game. It jumbles up configurations, of course, but the number of hallway fights, room fights, traps and hunger checks, and curio spread is more or less specified in the generation config and is consistent from dungeon to dungeon and mission type to mission type. Basically if you know how many hunger checks exist in a Ruins Explore mission and don't backtrack too much (reentering rooms/hallways can respawn hallway fights, traps, and hunger checks) then you can exactly calculate how much food you need.

One of the more interesting stats is the interconnectivity of the dungeons, which is a percent that is almost never lower than 90%. The Warrens is usually around 95%, which is why Warrens missions tend to be grid-like, Ruins/Cove are middling and trend toward long lines, and the Weald is lower which is why it has branches. If you lower it a lot more you get really long 4-5 room branch hallways. I don't know what 100% interconnectivity means but I presume it means the map generator attempts to connect every room to every other room with as many adjacencies as possible, like the Flesh map which is usually a 3x4 grid where all rooms interconnect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Azran posted:

You guys saw the post about the newest character class over on the main site, right?

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/the-antiquarian/

Yes. We're kinda busy with the Ancestor turning Tides right now though.

I'm kinda sad that they said this is the last class they're adding to the game.