Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chelb
Oct 24, 2010

I'm gonna show SA-kun my shitposting!

Litany Unheard posted:

Hunted down some quick numbers for comparison. Wal-Mart/Sam's Club makes up about 2% of US GDP. Samsung makes up 17% of South Korea's GDP, and accounts for one-fifth of all its exports.

I'm assuming that that's not very good for an economy in the long-term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FlamingLiberal posted:

I will be interested to see if the GOP notices this and tries to make it part of the campaign rhetoric
Lol, if the GOP gave a poo poo at all they would have said something 6 months ago when the mustard gas attacks happened, there were also some ISIL chlorine attacks at around the same time. That mustard gas was most likely expired/left over mustard gas from god knows when, probably the Iran/Iraq war. We know it was expired because of the whole "35 Peshmerga sickened" rather than it being "35 Peshmerga dead".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

computer parts posted:

On the other hand, South Korea hasn't fared too badly.

Yes lets aim for the politics of a country that has been a dictatorship longer than it has been a 'democracy'.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Yes lets aim for the politics of a country that has been a dictatorship longer than it has been a 'democracy'.

They make the trains run on time. And that means they'll also build trains.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Speaking of North Korea, hows about that thing they put into space? The UN/US gonna do anything?

Have a drone drop a slice of bread and say "no" and wag a finger?

Also when the space thing was new, I liked the hot take from some Chinese lady from the gov. "Behind closed doors we all call them fatty. The 1st fatty was fine, the 2nd fatty wasn't as good, but this 3rd fatty. A stupid brat."

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PhazonLink posted:

Speaking of North Korea, hows about that thing they put into space? The UN/US gonna do anything?

It sounds like its just a couple of weeks from burning up when it tumbles into re-entry, blowing it up creates a giant rear end mess in space and we're still pissed at the Chinese from when they did it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
http://www.theonion.com/article/obama-compiles-shortlist-gay-transsexual-abortion--52361

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Raskolnikov38 posted:

It sounds like its just a couple of weeks from burning up when it tumbles into re-entry, blowing it up creates a giant rear end mess in space and we're still pissed at the Chinese from when they did it.

We also did it once in the 80s.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

If it blows/burns up in re-entry, there's no junk issue. It's when it blows up in orbit that you add to the Kessler problem.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Litany Unheard posted:

Hunted down some quick numbers for comparison. Wal-Mart/Sam's Club makes up about 2% of US GDP. Samsung makes up 17% of South Korea's GDP, and accounts for one-fifth of all its exports.

Most of which is device drivers

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hey guys, I have a random question. Are you allowed to deduct medical expenses from your taxes?

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

SCOTUSblog saying Loretta Lynch most likely to get nomination.

:what:

This better not stop the DOJ reaming FIFA.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Mr Interweb posted:

Hey guys, I have a random question. Are you allowed to deduct medical expenses from your taxes?

Yes.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mr Interweb posted:

maybe

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS
I finally watched the Power of Nightmares after I seen some people boasting about it and I am not really sure on how I feel about it. I thought the comparisons between the neocons and the Islamic State were pretty good at times but at the end it just felt like an Alex Jones doc that somehow made it on the BBC. Is there any truth to the fact that Al Queda is mostly an American-made shadow figure? I realize this is over ten years old but I am pretty sure I saw people here talking about it recently.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Mr Interweb posted:

Yes. Depending on how great the expenses were you may be better off with the standard deduction. Run the numbers with both to see which is better.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

CortezFantastic posted:

I finally watched the Power of Nightmares after I seen some people boasting about it and I am not really sure on how I feel about it. I thought the comparisons between the neocons and the Islamic State were pretty good at times but at the end it just felt like an Alex Jones doc that somehow made it on the BBC. Is there any truth to the fact that Al Queda is mostly an American-made shadow figure? I realize this is over ten years old but I am pretty sure I saw people here talking about it recently.

It's about as true as claims that ISIS is as well (which I've heard from various anti-imperialist sources). That is to say, it formed in a hazy period of significant political/military unrest in an Islamic country in which the organization was originally allied with proxy forces of the US. As a result, the organization received indirect aid in so far as the US did not attack them and may have provided military and financial aid to larger groups in which the organization played a part and in which the organization was viewed more positively than in the US as a whole.

As a result, the organization indirectly benefitted from US support and prospered when US aid left a power vacuum, though such prosperity was not due to anything the US did other than inaction.

So yes, the US helped to create these groups, but only indirectly at best, and certainly not with the intent of creating the chaos that they eventually sowed (presumably because of an incomplete understanding of the organization's goals, or the incorrect belief that the organization would be sidelined in favor of civil society at the end of the conflict).

It is almost certainly not the explicit, malevolent conspiracy the people who say these things try to make it out to be.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

CortezFantastic posted:

Al Qaeda was much less of a direct creation than the Taliban, which was the direct descendant of a mujahideen group funded by the US through the Pakistani ISI during the Soviet war in Afghanistan. Al Qaeda got its start in the atmosphere created by that war but institutionally had less direct connection to American-backed groups

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rollofthedice posted:

I'm assuming that that's not very good for an economy in the long-term.

It's fine for the economy. It's not very good for democracy

Crowsbeak posted:

For those who ask whats the harm. seriously we could do alot loving worse. Just look at the wonders that Dynastic politics have produced in India.

A sustained democracy which is one of the most liberal in the world outside Western Europe/the US? I'll take it, especially over east asian crypto-fascism

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It is almost certainly not the explicit, malevolent conspiracy the people who say these things try to make it out to be.

The documentary doesn't really frame it that way so I'm not really sure where he was getting that to begin with.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Necc0 posted:

Yes. Depending on how great the expenses were you may be better off with the standard deduction. Run the numbers with both to see which is better.

Okay thanks. Cause I got quite a few bills. :/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
What makes Adam Curtis' documentaries interesting is the destruction (not just rejection) of the prevailing narrative and the freedom that allows to explore others, including his own, where he never makes a totally convincing case.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
So I may have missed some one posting this, but I think the thread would appreciate news on the Shkreli - Daquan saga.

http://thenextweb.com/insider/2016/02/15/pharma-bro-martin-shkreli-lied-about-bitcoin-so-someone-spent-his-real-money-on-lube/#gref

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

quote:

Bolded the more idiotic parts. Seriously one has only to look to Asia and South America to see how generally political dynasties a detriment to democratic republicanism. I also love how there is barley any real talk of how the heirs can be less competent then their forebears but can succeed because of their forebearers connections.
You say that, yet you didn't bold where Luke loving Russert was put on the same level as Serena Williams.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

You say that, yet you didn't bold where Luke loving Russert was put on the same level as Serena Williams.

My bad, I actually forgot who he was.

Pizza Segregationist
Jul 18, 2006

CortezFantastic posted:

When you say "American-made shadow figure", are you asking if the group itself was American made, or are you talking about the narrative surrounding the group? The formation of AQ itself was a lot more complicated than "America funded religious fundamentalists fighting the Soviets and thus al-qaeda was born." But I think most here would agree that the Bush administration pushed a narrative that vastly overstated their scope and power.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
If I can't figure out a way to block Bernie Sanders' Dank Meme Stash posts from showing up in my news feed its going to drive me to loving vote for Jeb!. Are they trying to make people hate Bernie? It's working

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
does it count as primary chat if it is really the delusional rantings of Michael Savage's vision for what Sanders will do for the country? I want to ask before I post, I'm responsible like that

Mystery Goomba
Jun 4, 2011

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

If I can't figure out a way to block Bernie Sanders' Dank Meme Stash posts from showing up in my news feed its going to drive me to loving vote for Jeb!. Are they trying to make people hate Bernie? It's working

I'm personally trying to amass the world's largest private collection of Bernie memes so please PM me any if you start seeing ones you haven't seen before.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Fried Chicken posted:

does it count as primary chat if it is really the delusional rantings of Michael Savage's vision for what Sanders will do for the country? I want to ask before I post, I'm responsible like that

Please, PLEASE, do not talk about us politics in this, the uspol thread, of all places.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

I've pretty much unfollowed all the Bernie supporters that won't stop sharing poo poo from that group in between them :derp:-ing about coin flips. Now my feed is mostly back to it's old awful self.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Right now I feel the same way about US Politics as I did after the series finale of Breaking Bad. Saturday's events were such a culmination of amazing that I'm not sure what to do with myself while I wait for that next sweet, sweet hit of news.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

icantfindaname posted:

Al Qaeda was much less of a direct creation than the Taliban, which was the direct descendant of a mujahideen group funded by the US through the Pakistani ISI during the Soviet war in Afghanistan. Al Qaeda got its start in the atmosphere created by that war but institutionally had less direct connection to American-backed groups

The majority of the Muhjajadeen fighters were Afghani during the Soviet-Afghanistan War and they hated all of the "tourists' who came in their country for Jihad. What immediately followed the Soviet-Afghan war was a pretty hardcore cleansing to get all of the foreigners out of their country, of which none of them endeared themselves towards the locals.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm pretty sure I know what you're referring to and it likely won't trigger primarychat as long as you don't mention the other candidate in the same sentence.

It's loving hilarious, so post away.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

I'd say go for it if you think we're civil enough to not devolve into pages of he said she said.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'd say go for it if you think we're civil enough to not devolve into pages of he said she said.

ie if you're loving delusional and unable to learn from experience
but maybe :thejoke:

Guy Montag
Jun 24, 2005

Today In: Unscripted moments that will show up in attack ads anytime now, we have former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton barking like a dog.

Behold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqKT9S3jsKE

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary-clinton-barks-dog-condemning-republicans/story?id=36959846

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The ending of Schindler's List except it's Bernie Bros placing memes on your grave.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Guy Montag posted:

Today In: Unscripted moments that will show up in attack ads anytime now, we have former Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton barking like a dog.

Finally, an answer to Mitt Romney's question from 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Guy Montag posted:

Behold:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqKT9S3jsKE

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/hillary-clinton-barks-dog-condemning-republicans/story?id=36959846

This is great. I wish she would be weird more often

• Locked thread