Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Sara added warping and a new really nice secondary difficulty mode that nerfs how OP healing is in Ys6, she probably did a bunch of resolution fixes like she does for everything else as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
I don't want to know who can beat that mode on Nightmare

I can't beat regular Nightmare. gently caress that bee

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.

Hivac posted:

It's a bit of a grind, but NIghtmare Catastrophe is doable. The secret is mainly investing into stat-boosting seeds at the end of the game with the large amounts of money you can accumulate.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Yeah I just got stuck halfway through Limestone because that side boss required for progression has ridiculously hard to dodge attacks that kill me in 3 hits that it just spams over and over

Then it sends out the 10 something smaller bees that all also kill me in 3 hits. It's hell.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

quote:

Bare-bones ports didn't stop XSeed from revamping the PC port of Ys VI.

True, and far be it from me to claim that it'll be beyond the capacities of the Cassius Bright of programming. But there IS a remarkable difference between the two games:

- Ys: Napishtim was a fairly basic game that was programmed in an engine (and style) that Sara was intimately familiar with by that time. (due to her experience with Felghana and Origin) XSeed mentioned that Sara was practically able to tweak Napishtim in her sleep.

- Zero no Kiseki PC is a game that's made by a development team XSeed is unfamiliar with and I've heard tell that the game is practically a PSP rom running on an emulator, just a little above FFIV for the PC. (not sure how accurate this is) I can imagine that'd be a lot harder to tweak than a game that was made natively for the PC, like Ys6.

quote:

I'm kind of curious but did TitS 3rd ever receive any special PSP only bonuses or was the only real difference between the PC and PSP versions the removal of Renne's backstory?

From what I've heard there weren't any changes on the level of having new playable characters, but there were quite a few balance tweaks and possibly some new quartz that was gotten in the "Brave Blade or Chicken Knife"-fashion.

quote:

Would you believe me if I told you that I believe Catastrophe Nightmare mode is actually easier in the long run than non-Catastrophe Nightmare? Two reasons for that:

- You get lots of Capla Waters from chests and Capla Waters are useless in Catastrophe mode since they cannot be used in boss fights, swords eventually regenerate on their own, they no longer give you a full heal and you eventually get accessories you can use to cure status ailments. But Capla Waters sell for plenty of money and since every chest that has healing items in it carries Capla water in Catastrophe, you get a truckload of them. This allows you to get better gear right off the bat AND get the emel mallet accessory the first time you make it to Rimorge, which allows you to get emel faster and get weapon upgrades sooner. Or you could wait until you buy out the store and sell the capla waters for even more money due to the storekeeper's brother paying you more money for stuff you sell.

- After you bought out the store, there's literally only one purpose for your money afterwards; stat-up seeds. The life seeds that give you a handful more max HP can be bought in all modes, but it's stupidly expensive in nightmare mode and not worth the money. (I think they're 80,000 a piece) The attack and defense seeds, on the other hand, never increase in price. I believe they're sold for 20,000 a piece, which isn't too bad by the time you reach the end game. Due to the scaled experience in Ys, monsters start giving you jack-poo poo for experience after you pass their level and getting strong enough to offset the increased attack power of the bosses in Nightmare without superhuman skills means grinding and grinding and grinding and grinding, all for the measly power boost one or two levels give you. The money that monsters drop is never decreased, however, no matter how high your level is and in the time it takes to grind yourself up a single level, you'll get enough money to buy several level-ups worth of stat boosts in Catastrophe mode.

In other words, after a certain point, the grinding time required to get stronger becomes a constant rather than a quadratic growth as it is in non-catastrophe mode. Since Nightmare mode's main challenge factor is allowing enemies to hit you for metric tons of damage, completely focussing on defense seeds is considered a very good idea.

Now, Nightmare Catastrophe Boss Rush, on the other hand, is straight-up insane-as-poo poo, but a normal Catastrophe playthrough isn't bad at all after you make it past the initial stage of the game.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Erpy posted:

Would you believe me if I told you that I believe Catastrophe Nightmare mode is actually easier in the long run than non-Catastrophe Nightmare? Two reasons for that:

Huh. I might have to consider that at some point. Nightmare and the 1 hp cheevos are the only ones I have left on steam

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So I just beat Chapter 5 of SC. Was that boss a bit of a let down for everyone? The battle felt so so easy.
Besides that this game rules so far. Can't wait for the homestretch! :)

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
The 1HP cheevo isn't too bad. Just get yourself poisoned at the beginning of the game, which eventually causes your HP to drop to 1, but cannot kill you, and then take on Mini-Galba. (the first boss) He's fairly easy to do without getting hit once.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

He got a crit on his really big magic attack that instantly killed everyone except Agate so it was a pretty exciting boss for me.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I assume I just had a lucky attack pattern because I literally got hit once. To one character. So I was like "I guess I'll just win the fight now..."

Also I have ToCS queued up for riiiight when I finish SC. So much Trails goodness.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ChiTownEddie posted:

I assume I just had a lucky attack pattern because I literally got hit once. To one character. So I was like "I guess I'll just win the fight now..."

Also I have ToCS queued up for riiiight when I finish SC. So much Trails goodness.

Maybe it's just me but I'd advise you take a few days break after you finish SC. I jumped into Cold Steel immediately as well and I found the whole experience a little jarring and somewhat disappointing but that's not a fault with Cold Steel itself so much as I was struggling to adjust to the new cast after the cast of Trails in the Sky. Once I did that, I appreciated Cold Steel a lot better.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Maybe it's just me but I'd advise you take a few days break after you finish SC. I jumped into Cold Steel immediately as well and I found the whole experience a little jarring and somewhat disappointing but that's not a fault with Cold Steel itself so much as I was struggling to adjust to the new cast after the cast of Trails in the Sky. Once I did that, I appreciated Cold Steel a lot better.

Hmmm I suppose that makes some sense.
I guess Pillars of Eternity's exp and Fire Emblem also come out this week so I could use them as a palate cleanser...haha

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Yeah, I'd at least take a couple of days to digest the end of SC before going to Cold Steel.

Also, be prepared, because the cast in Cold Steel is very different from the cast in SC.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Is there any particular reason why Becky is Scottish?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Really Pants posted:

she probably had an accent in the jp version. osakan is the most common in anime stuff but that's usually localized as southern, so it'd be weird to go for scottish.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Really Pants posted:

because Becky owns

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Endorph posted:

she probably had an accent in the jp version. osakan is the most common in anime stuff but that's usually localized as southern, so it'd be weird to go for scottish.

I've also heard of it being localized as Brooklyn.

I personally think Scottish is great because it's so jarring.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Being Scottish myself, it's always a bit surprising to encounter what is some kind of sorta attempt at an accent in games. And a little cringeworthy too sometimes.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

How did XSeed do? Decent or cringeworthy?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Erg posted:

because Becky owns

And so does her dad!

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

How did XSeed do? Decent or cringeworthy?

Well, it's one of the better attempts I've seen in this kind of medium. I'm not quite sure where to place that accent though, it sounds like a weird mix between Glaswegian and Aberdonian.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The guy who translated all of Becky's lines is Scottish, and he wanted to try doing kansai dialect differently than most people do it, so he did it that way. I've heard tell that if Becky had been voiced he wouldn't have been allowed to do it that way. A fact which makes me REALLY hope Falcom gives her a voice in CS3 so that Xseed is forced to deal with this joke decision they allowed one of their localizers to make.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Sheesh, why's Carna being so mean to Adol?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

http://i.imgur.com/7EBWMRa.webm

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

:allears:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It's even better when you have the police siren cutting off the Cold Steel theme.
https://jii.moe/VkkUPyt9e.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Who is this man and what has he done to Adol.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zaggitz posted:

Who is this man and what has he done to Adol.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://a.pomf.cat/nssbjr.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/nihonfalcom/status/699436347254157312

falcom doesn't only make good games, they make good food too

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sister_Sonic

I can't believe this was even considered.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I'm still salty that Working Designs completely hosed up Popful Mail by "fixing" the difficulty.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/700102293748916226

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

You know, the whole time I was playing Cold Steel, the one thing that I kept thinking was "this game needs more randomly untranslated Japanese words."

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
This might be the most obnoxious humor gimmick I've ever seen

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Motto posted:

Something incomprehensible

What the hell did you just make me read.

Some Numbers posted:

You know, the whole time I was playing Cold Steel, the one thing that I kept thinking was "this game needs more randomly untranslated Japanese words."

The whole time I was playing Cold Steel, I kept thinking how weird it is for Rean to be mute half of the time. I know the reasons behind it but it was still a little jarring.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

This might be the most obnoxious humor gimmick I've ever seen

So I guess I shouldn't tell you about all the fan translators that do that unironically?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The whole time I was playing Cold Steel, I kept thinking how weird it is for Rean to be mute half of the time. I know the reasons behind it but it was still a little jarring.

Yeah, that was super super weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mr. Fortitude posted:

What the hell did you just make me read.

I'm not sure, but XSEED RT'd it. I could also post the Zero fan TL project that's as nutty as it is shoddy.

https://twitter.com/Xythar/status/700121454130561024