Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Solemn Sloth posted:

If it's at Adelaide oval you know it's a false flag op to get rid of that heritage listed tree

We have like five heritage listed trees, they can't get them all :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

thepokey posted:

It is a strange thing though, like .. are they trying to protect people or the stadium? If you have it at the MCG, why not have it at any of the other venues? You could argue that "well the MCG is the most prestigious so thats where the terrorists would most likely target" you know, until they work out that its the only ground being protected like that and decide to go kill a bunch of people at Eithada, Kardinia, Adelaide oval etc...

Not that I'm saying any of that is even likely, but it's just a strange way of thinking if this is the road they're going down and the reasons why.

Is it really that strange? They don't control what happens at other grounds, but they can control what happens at their ground. Given the choice between a terrorist attack at the MCG and someone else's stadium, I'm pretty sure they would prefer the latter.

Seems like a non-issue to me. Don't get why so many are up in arms about it.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

cmndstab posted:

Is it really that strange? They don't control what happens at other grounds, but they can control what happens at their ground. Given the choice between a terrorist attack at the MCG and someone else's stadium, I'm pretty sure they would prefer the latter.

Seems like a non-issue to me. Don't get why so many are up in arms about it.

Waiting for over an hour to get into the ground for a game is going to really suck in the middle of July.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Schlesische posted:

Waiting for over an hour to get into the ground for a game is going to really suck in the middle of July.

I'm pretty sure they'll set it up so this doesn't happen.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

cmndstab posted:

Haha yeah

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

cmndstab posted:

i could predict that melbourne would get the flag and it would be a better prediction than this

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
I predict it will take longer to get through the ticket barriers at Jolimont station than through the fence.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Shmoses posted:

I predict it will take longer to get through the ticket barriers at Jolimont station than through the fence.

That's not fair, proton decay takes longer than the barriers at Jolimont.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
What kind of subhuman animal gets to the MCG via Jolimont

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

Solemn Sloth posted:

The type that lives in the ideologically correct north-eastern suburbs

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Solemn Sloth posted:

We pre-game at my sister-in-law's place in Clifton Hill, then we kick on at the Percy Beames. Sometimes we even watch some of the game!

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Shmoses posted:

The type that lives in the ideologically correct north-eastern suburbs
Diamond Creek?

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011
Yeah but you get to sing Leaps and Bounds in your head if you come via South Yarra, and avoid your hardcore Collingwood supporting types.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Wouldn't some terrorist just blow up the thousands of people waiting to get through the security fence? All this does is ensure the stadium is structurally sound after an attack so the next week's games can continue as planned.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yes. Waste of money, waste of time and fencing off public land.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

The Deadly Hume posted:

Diamond Creek?

Nah Greensborough. What madeyou think of Diamond Creek?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

gay picnic defence posted:

Wouldn't some terrorist just blow up the thousands of people waiting to get through the security fence? All this does is ensure the stadium is structurally sound after an attack so the next week's games can continue as planned.

Just chuck a grenade over the security fence into the crowd stuck between that and the turnstiles. Like most counter terrorism measures this is about the appearance of safety and precautions taken(and numbing the public to ever more invasive security measures) rather than any sort of effectiveness

Solemn Sloth fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Feb 15, 2016

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I wonder what the security people think of it/what they get paid. If they catch someone who is strapped and the dude decides the jig is up and pulls the pin then and there then the security dudes are the first to be blown up. Seems in their best interests to let people through.

On an unrelated note, Essendon team photo was today and I am surprised that I am still surprised when I remember Cooney is an Essendon player.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

thepokey posted:

On an unrelated note, Essendon team photo was today and I am surprised that I am still surprised when I remember Cooney is an Essendon player.

Every time I've watched Essendon, he's been totally invisible.

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.

Schlesische posted:

Every time I've watched Essendon, he's been totally invisible.

Generally it's because he's been injured, but yeah when he has played too. He has played a couple of good games and he did kick that amazing torp 60-70m goal after the quarter time siren that one time but that's about it.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
Essendon started picking top-up players a year early. Gwilt and Giles are the other two obvious ones who should never have been brought in.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

DAAS Kapitalist posted:

Essendon started picking top-up players a year early. Gwilt and Giles are the other two obvious ones who should never have been brought in.

It's like deep down they knew they were boned

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

cmndstab posted:

It will be not talked about again after the season starts

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Spedman posted:

It will be not talked about again after the season starts

I'm betting it will be totally fine up until someone at ground management makes a bewilderingly low crowd estimate and no security are put on as a result.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

hiddenmovement posted:

I'm betting it will be totally fine up until someone at ground management makes a bewilderingly low crowd estimate and no security are put on as a result.

Nobody expected 80,000 to turn up to the top of the table clash between Melbourne and Carlton in round 21

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Why not? When Carlton are in line to finish atop the ladder.

Let me have my delusions.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

drunkill posted:

Why not? When Carlton are in line to finish atop the ladder.

Let me have my delusions.

The security laser fences of 2156 are going to be brutal.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
When Hawthorn wins next?

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

drunkill posted:

When Hawthorn wins next?

Time travel is finally perfected in the year 2016, allowing Hawthorn to win every premiership from 1897 onwards including every flag against themselves and the ones before they joined the VFL.

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!

Solemn Sloth posted:

My reserved seat is on the Northern side of the ground, so if I'm coming in from the city I'll often go to Jolimont cause it's a shorter walk.

Southside of the river is still the best side though.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Just a heads up for anyone else that's overseas - even if you're not a diehard for one team or another, take a look at some of the club membership packages. A decent number of them offer "international packages" that, compared with the price of the Watch AFL directly from the league, basically give you free stuff from a club.

I just signed up with the Saints last night and while I don't have any games included in the package (other teams like Melbourne provide the option), I'm basically getting Watch AFL and then the member pack for free. I know a few other clubs do something similar.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Careful because AFL offers two different subscription types. AFL Live Pass, and Watch AFL. Live Pass only works within Australia, and Watch AFL only works outside it.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Looks like the AFL has jumped behind the Legends match and Ch7 have thrown a bunch of money at it too.

http://m.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/channel-seven-secures-rights-to-ej-whitten-legends-game-20160216-gmvb4i.html

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Nathan Grima has joined the bombers as another top up

pkid
Jan 30, 2005

I was raised on the dairy, BITCH!
Did the #standbyhird dorks pass the hat around?

Honestly, this loving guy oversees this poo poo, get a free year off to France, gets the boot and has his contract paid out and then some rich oval office pays for his legal bills too.

The Age posted:

Mystery benefactor paid off James Hird's $750,000 legal debt

A mystery benefactor has paid off a $750,000 debt owed by former Essendon coach James Hird to the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority, a court has heard.

Mr Hird, 43, had been ordered to pay ASADA's court costs after losing his fight to stop the investigation into the supplements saga, but the Supreme Court was told on Tuesday that the debt had been paid by another unnamed party.

The payout was revealed when Mr Hird, who is suing Chubb Insurance for refusing to pay his legal bills of almost $660,000 over his court battles surrounding the supplements saga, was giving evidence.

Questioned by barrister Jim Peters, QC, representing Chubb, Mr Hird agreed his ASADA debt had been paid by "somebody else". No details were given as to who had picked up the tab for Mr Hird.

In other evidence, Mr Hird, who told the court he was now self-employed, said the Bombers had warned him he would be sacked if he decided to appeal a Federal Court decision which had gone against him and the club.

He said that after the failed bid in the Federal Court to have the 2013 joint investigation by the AFL and ASADA into the Bombers' 2012 supplements program declared unlawful, he received legal advice urging him to appeal the decision.

But Mr Hird said his lawyers cautioned that any appeal would be more difficult if Essendon dropped out of the case.

So when the club decided not to take the matter further, he sat down with his lawyers to work out if he should go it alone.

Mr Hird told Justice Kim Hargrave he reviewed the situation "a lot of times" because Essendon was threatening to sack him if he did go ahead with the appeal.

In the end, he decided to pursue the appeal on legal advice and was told the proceedings would only cost about a third of the Federal Court trial's costs. His appeal to the Full Court of the Federal Court was unanimously dismissed in January 2015.

In Mr Hird's writ filed in the Supreme Court, his lawyers demanded Chubb Insurance pay his Federal Court trial costs of $572,691.25 and the Full Court appeal costs of $86,828.75.

Chubb has denied liability, saying Mr Hird was covered for legal costs for defending himself against an action but not for the costs of bringing an action against others.

Mr Hird's writ detailed how he was ordered by the AFL and ASADA to attend a meeting on April 16, 2013, over the joint investigation into the use of prohibited substances involving the Essendon Football Club (EFC).

The investigation included "an allegation that EFC athletes and support persons [including Hird] may have used prohibited substances and engaged in prohibited methods in breach of the World Anti-Doping Code and the AFL's Anti-Doping Code".

Mr Hird answered more than 1300 questions put to him mainly by ASADA as well as the AFL during the April 16 meeting.

Chubb agreed to pay for a lawyer to sit with Mr Hird during the interview.

ASADA then served show cause notices on 34 Essendon players on June 12, 2014, based on information from Mr Hird and the players.

Mr Hird applied to the Federal Court on June 30, 2014, seeking a declaration that the ASADA investigation had been unlawful.

Mr Hird's legal team subpoenaed documents from the AFL as part of his application, which meant he became legally obligated to pay the AFL's costs of compliance with the subpoena totalling $32,470.15.

The Federal Court dismissed Mr Hird's application on September 19, 2014, and ordered him to pay ASADA's costs.

Mr Hird appealed on October 10, 2014, but the appeal was dismissed by the Full Federal Court three months later and Mr Hird was again ordered to pay ASADA's costs. Essendon did not appeal the Federal Court's decision.

The civil trial continues

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

pkid posted:

Did the #standbyhird dorks pass the hat around?

Honestly, this loving guy oversees this poo poo, get a free year off to France, gets the boot and has his contract paid out and then some rich oval office pays for his legal bills too.

So that's his ASADA bill after their costs were levied against him. Who's going to shell out when his costs for the Federal Court and Full Court appeal come due and it's found that Chubb aren't liable for them? And who's going to pay for this round of legal action after he loses?

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Volkerball posted:

Careful because AFL offers two different subscription types. AFL Live Pass, and Watch AFL. Live Pass only works within Australia, and Watch AFL only works outside it.

Most of the International ones are marked very clearly as such.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

NTRabbit posted:

Nathan Grima has joined the bombers as another top up

I know their options are limited but didn't he drop off pretty badly?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Testekill posted:

I know their options are limited but didn't he drop off pretty badly?

He was on MMM late last year. His body is shot and he's even having trouble getting regular work in a physical profession (i.e carpentry) due to his injuries. I have no idea how he has been able to recover in such a short time frame and am worried it's just a cash grab for a guy who badly needs a quick 200k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Just waiting for top up # 10 col Sylvia

• Locked thread