Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

field balm posted:

Maybe you've figured this out by now (I don't read this thread often enough) but the perceived volume drop here is most likely to do with how mid scooped a muff is, and how they don't have that much output (compared to pedals meant to boost or whatever). Did you have any luck with the postgain down?

Going from non-scooped to scooped does wierd things to perception of loudness - its really obvious when you hear amateur bands do like grungy or screamo style clean to dirty dynamics and their clean sound sounds way louder because they scoop the poo poo out of their distorted sound.

Thanks for the reply and yeah thats what I was thinking to. There is a mid-knob on this particular ram's head clone that I can diddle with. My amp is being tuned up at the moment so, I have yet to mess with it yet.

I also was running my guitar with stereo and one having the fuzz, that was probably not helping with things. I rewired my guitar back to mono and will probably have a better ability to fix the volume issues that way. The only negative is that I cant do all the weird pedal tapping with different chains like I wanted but, volume control is much more important.

I will post and share what my "fix" is. I see alot of people with muffs run an extra boost afterwards but, I am not going to run two pedals to get one tone. Especially since I limit myself to a 8 pedal limit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

My lord, I just hooked up my Micro Dark after a while and it is possessed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KF98tl16a7o

Am I going mad? Is this 'just a thing' ? I've had the amp for a hair over 30 days for no-quibble return, but I think this qualifies as a fault for return for replacement or store credit? I think I've totally got the pox with tube amps :(

Crapping out tube buddy I reckon

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Shugojin posted:

.... I'd exchange it at this point since it's the cheapest and easiest option.

peter gabriel posted:

Crapping out tube buddy I reckon

Andertons agreed and even though I was out of return period, we did a thing and

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Southern Heel posted:

Andertons agreed and even though I was out of return period, we did a thing and

Ah that's cool :)

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

If I am planning to use an attenuator and/or headphones with lower volumes in general are there reasons to get more powerful amps and bigger cabinets other than volume? Will they sound better at lower volumes than something bigger or more powerful? Right now I just have a micro terror and a little orange cabinet that I'm pretty happy with.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

If you're trying to push a lot of low end, or you like the sound of big tubes. Otherwise, if you're happy with the sound of an amp that has a headphone out and you're getting enough clean headroom, probably don't need a bigger amp.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Are there any good options out there for, like, pocket amplifiers? Basically something I can plug headphones into without needing any kind of built-in speaker?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I've heard nothing but good things about the Vox AmPlugs. Goon recommendations from what I tell.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Are there any good options out there for, like, pocket amplifiers? Basically something I can plug headphones into without needing any kind of built-in speaker?

vox amplug, if you have an ipod/iphone there is jamup/bias, and there is the line 6 pocket pod. I think that jamup/bias is by far the best though.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Whale Cancer posted:

vox amplug, if you have an ipod/iphone there is jamup/bias, and there is the line 6 pocket pod. I think that jamup/bias is by far the best though.

Yeah, just the ability to get a metronome going is terrific.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've only got an android, and from the comments I've seen those won't have versions anytime soon (they cite input latency as an issue?) so i'll probably go with the amplug.

Most reviews seem to just use the built-in effects, I wonder how they'd take to pedals. :v:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Android 5.0 fixed the latency issue. Samsung and IK Multimedia hosed it over though by patenting amp modelling on Android so you're pretty much stuck with buying an iRig2 and a Galaxy S or Note to get a lovely version of Amplitube working. Vox Amplugs are pretty drat good though.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've got an S5 but it looks like an Irig is as much as an amplug, so.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
That and you have microtransactions for all the good amp models in Amplitube for android.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Amplug is pretty much the easiest option for just plugging into headphones. Figure out the one you want, spend $40 on it. Boom. It's not ~*amazing*~ but it's very serviceable when all you want is to practice quietly. I use the headphone out on my THR but that requires you to always be near an outlet unless you want to gently caress around with the 8 AA batteries :catstare:

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Goons. I like my Traynor a lot, but it's loving loud, and I'd like a smaller tube amp (around 4-15 W I guess) to play with some decent breakup at volumes that won't rattle my fillings out. Make me some recommendations.

On the other hand, someone on my local CL is selling a 1970 Twin Reverb with new caps/tubes for under $600 and that's really, really loving tempting, if in completely the opposite of the direction I actually want to go volume-wise. :sigh:

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
I can't recommend this guy enough: http://www.phaezamp.com/ampshop/en/

I have one of his older models and it's absolutely fan-loving-tastic for what I want. He will make you anything you want. You supply the box for it and the tubes. He can do power scaling as well as low wattage heads.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

While the Phaez kit looks cool af, I really want to be able to audition whatever I wind up buying in person, which kinda limits me to either big-name readily-available stuff, or whatever rando things pop up for sale used.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Random curiosity incoming. What's the appeal of Mesa Boogie amps? I'm really feeling the newer lunchbox Mark V 25w amp but I realized I don't know what their "thing" is in general. Enlighten me :)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Really good high-gain amps. Sound great, built like tanks. They can do cleans pretty well too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Kilometers Davis posted:

Random curiosity incoming. What's the appeal of Mesa Boogie amps? I'm really feeling the newer lunchbox Mark V 25w amp but I realized I don't know what their "thing" is in general. Enlighten me :)

Originally weren't they just princetons on steroids? But the only reason nowadays I know of them is for the dual/triple rectifiers and for trying to market to Texas blues dads in guitar magazines.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah the Mark I started with Frankensteining a Princeton and a Bassman together.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kilometers Davis posted:

Some people like the sound of them.

Same reason why other amps are popular.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Mesa/Boogie cleans are really effing good, their hi gain amps basically were THE amps for metal and punk recordings for years. I still want a Transatlantic or a Lone Star.

The Mark V series is basically the tube boutique version of a modelling amp.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Anyone have experience with the Laney IRT60H? I've found a local guy willing to trade one in exchange for some luthier work and assorted workshop-based tasks, and while I'm enjoying the sound, I'm not too sure on maintenance or reliability of this particular model. It seems pretty solid, but I've had trouble finding anything more than first impressions.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

Kilometers Davis posted:

They have sparkly cleans and aggressive gain with a low midrange that goes "grrr"

The rectifiers also have insane low end and provided the soundtrack for a lot of lovely music of the late 90s and early 00's

The mark series are probably more versitile.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
The irony of dual recs being tied to late 90s/early 2000s tough guy music is they were initially marketed to weedly wee shred dudes at the beginning of the 90s.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Randall Smith essentially invented modern preamp distortion/was the first to deliver a product to filthy rockers when the big companies were exclusively putting out big, clean stuff for their parents to dance to at the Moose Lodge.

EDIT - To clarify, I mean "distortion that happens in the preamp by feeding tubes into one another so it can happen at low volume." I know Marshall and Ampeg were still trying to market to rockers, but you had to play at Woodstock volume to get them to break up without some kind of booster.

After The War fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Feb 17, 2016

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
If it's too loud you're too old maaaaaaan.....

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

Most people already commented on tones, the musicality, the appeal to different types of rockers and whatnot. Here's an additional: They're piss-easy to fix / give maintenance. I remember seeing Mark Morton explain this in a video, but one of the appeals the Mark IV head had for me is that changing tubes / making sure the bias is proper in place is a no-brainer. For the longest time, the Mark IV was my touring head. I did sometimes mix it up with a SLO 100 head or something in that ballpark, but by gum did that Mark IV head treat me right.

It wasn't until this past December that I tried a different Mesa Boogie head, but the Rect-O-Verb 25 head is what I am using right now for a tour and holy poo poo, this little fucker brings the goods home. So there, you have a bunch of reasons by a number of goons.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I'm sure they're real easy to fix when some unknown component goes pop.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
On the other hand they are really good at warranty and customer service.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That's exactly the knowledge I was looking for. Thanks!

I'm considering saving up for a Mark V 25. It's honestly the best sounding amp I've ever heard. Expensive as hell but it seems so worth it. Ticks all the boxes for me.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Tracking down little components that go pop is pretty tedious in any amp unless it does so dramatically enough. The more complicated the amp obviously the more complicated it becomes but still.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Even with my 11rack, I basically only sit on either the MKII or the Rectifier. That Mesa sound :allears:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

Randall Smith essentially invented modern preamp distortion/was the first to deliver a product to filthy rockers when the big companies were exclusively putting out big, clean stuff for their parents to dance to at the Moose Lodge.

EDIT - To clarify, I mean "distortion that happens in the preamp by feeding tubes into one another so it can happen at low volume." I know Marshall and Ampeg were still trying to market to rockers, but you had to play at Woodstock volume to get them to break up without some kind of booster.

It's also part of the reason god gave us Dirty Fingers pickups, for which I am eternally grateful

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Pokey Araya posted:

My tech refuses to work on them, and know a few others too. Not just this amp but a lot of them built like this where they stack boards on boards

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

peter gabriel posted:

It's also part of the reason god gave us Dirty Fingers pickups, for which I am eternally grateful

I put a vintage Super Distortion I found in a box in my Hondo Hardtail Huperstrat. It's almost embarrassing how hot that thing is, for the same reason - to hit those preamp tubes that little bit harder.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pokey Araya posted:

Aside from tubes going down on me, I never had a problem with my Mesa heads. Additionally, as they mentioned, customer service is aces.

Also, like 99% of electronics stop looking scary when you graduate from a technical high school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Wark Say posted:

Aside from tubes going down on me, I never had a problem with my Mesa heads. Additionally, as they mentioned, customer service is aces.

Also, like 99% of electronics stop looking scary when you graduate from a technical high school.

its not the electronics that are scary its the placement, most amps you can access everything just popping the chassis out. this thing is built more like a car where you have to take a buncha things out sometimes to get to what needs to be fixed