Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Amoeba102 posted:

One last pedestrian peeve are people that jaywalk because they are impatient but then stroll as they do it, almost getting pasted. Have some awareness you dolts.

Yeah this right here gets me. The other week some idiot was just strolling across a busy 40mph road about 500ft from an actual crosswalk, so being the rear end in a top hat that I am sometimes, I don't slow down at all and lay on the horn until the person showed some hustle to get out of my way. Of course they gave me the bird and shouted as I passed, but what the hell man? The city put a perfectly good crosswalk right there for you to use if you really want to disrupt traffic and I'm happy to slow down and wait for you if you decide to use it, but if you can't be assed to bother then neither can I. If you're going to jaywalk at least be decent about it and hustle your rear end across the street!

My other big traffic pet peeve is bus stops. Why on earth should there be two bus stops for the same route on the same block. Luckily my drive to work takes me right past the transit center so the buses are pretty much always on time, but if I'm 5 minutes late this single bus is going to block stop every couple hundred feet for about half a mile. I can see putting them either right before or right after intersections but not both, that's dumb. It's a waste of time and fuel for everybody involved. The blocks in this town are not all that large so walking distance wouldn't even increase that much if you took out half the stops.

Also people who don't understand that a school bus will not attempt to stop 4 lanes of traffic. Those kids belong on that side of the street and are not crossing, we are not required to stop! 2 lanes, we stop. 2 lanes plus a turn lane, yeah we probably stop. But a busy 4 lane road is not completely stalled in both directions because of a school bus's stop sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Yesterday when I was walking to the shops, a car didn't immediately start moving when the light turned green, so the drivers of the two cars behind him both honked at him. One of them just gave the horn a brief tap to get the guy's attention. The other one leant on the horn for about 30 seconds, well after the line had started moving and the car that had been in the way was already around the corner. :argh:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Amoeba102 posted:

Probably suffered from people not pressing the button before. Or just like pushing buttons. Reminds me of a scene from Rake S2.

Aye. Just press the drat button even if you're going to jaywalk. If it's a busy road, you won't get a gap until the lights change and then you won't have cars trying to turn into you.

One last pedestrian peeve are people that jaywalk because they are impatient but then stroll as they do it, almost getting pasted. Have some awareness you dolts.

I fall in to the latter category. I just like pushing buttons. :downs:

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Inspector 34 posted:

Also people who don't understand that a school bus will not attempt to stop 4 lanes of traffic. Those kids belong on that side of the street and are not crossing, we are not required to stop! 2 lanes, we stop. 2 lanes plus a turn lane, yeah we probably stop. But a busy 4 lane road is not completely stalled in both directions because of a school bus's stop sign.

Are you absolutely sure about this? :raise:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

walrusman posted:

In my state at least you must stop for a signaling bus unless you're on a divided road. 2 or 4 lanes, doesn't matter. Only if there is a physical barrier between the opposing travel directions, then you can continue on.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

walrusman posted:

Yeah, where I live they will absolutely not ever have the kids cross over a double yellow line, so there is no requirement in the law to stop, at least that's kind of how my former school bus driving mom (in the Seattle area) put it. If it's a 2 lane road that has a dashed yellow line I'll stop. If it's a solid double yellow I slow way down just in case because kids are nuts. But if it's a 4 lane road there is no way those kids are supposed to be crossing and, since I actually pay attention to what's going on around me, if one of them does decide to book it across traffic I at least have a few lanes worth of time to react.

Where I am now, in the Portland area, the rules for school buses and traffic seem to be even more cautious than Seattle though, so I very well could be wrong about the legality of my gripe, but that doesn't make it any less of a pet peeve. These bus drivers are still required to stop, open the door, and check both directions every single time they cross any train tracks (even out of use ones) despite studies showing that the practice has been abandoned in most cities and has caused a hell of a lot of accidents and injuries.

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

I don't remember ever being taught any exceptions to the "stop for the loving school bus, every time" rule. That doesn't mean there aren't any, just that I've never heard about them.

Related to this, I drive a ten-mile stretch of highway to and from work every day. It's a rural area with the occasional driveway, but it's mostly a major four-lane highway connecting two moderate-size cities with a cruising speed of 65-70 mph. There's a railroad line crossing the highway, with dead flat land for miles in every direction. In almost ten years of driving across it twice a day, I've never seen a train there. What I do see, maybe once a week, is a school bus or tanker truck nearly causing a pileup when they slam on their brakes in heavy fast traffic, because some arbitrary rule dictates that they have to stop and listen for the ghost trains that have been known to materialize out of the flat, empty fields. Surely, if the rule's purpose is to maximize public safety, they should make exceptions to mitigate the far more likely scenario (highway crash) rather than the impossible one (ghost trains).

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
Indie game devs who have no idea what they're creating for the public is a game, not a masturbatory piece of art that should bring them lots of money without the criticism or financial risks of being a game. If people wanted to support YOU they would have gone and donated to the kickstarter or your patreon. Crying about how they totally spent soooooooo long living in a crappy apartment so you, the ungrateful unsophisticated philistine of a gamer, could buy their piece of ~*~*art~*~*~ is just so self centered and childish. Tonnes of people in the industry live lovely little lives in lovely little apartments and most of them aren't whining about how gamers need to "pay them back" for development expenses.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Maggie Fletcher posted:

Is this why people are always coming up behind me and tapping the button I've already tapped? I've noticed it's only men who do it; rarely do women do it. Part of me wants to turn to them and say, "oh thank you, kind sir, my tiny lady fingers were not strong enough to handle such a large button, and my simple lady mind couldn't handle how to operate it."

I know it's an overreaction (which is why I don't do it), but I live in a large-ish city and spend a lot of time running on the street, so I get to observe stuff like this on a very regular basis.

I wouldn't shove anyone out of the way to press it or anything, but I do this because as mentioned, so many people just don't do it, assuming whoever the first one who got there already did. I've seen it happen so many times that it's just a habit by now. It even happens on some of the crossings downtown that display a "please wait" light across the street so you know if someone already pressed it.

That said, I'll also do it if I directly witnessed you pushing it. No particular reason, I just like pushing it. In fact, if it's one of the actual button kind instead of the blocks that just sense when you touch it, I'll keep pushing it over and over until I can cross. It gives me something to do while I wait.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Indie games suck. Even the good ones that come out aren't objectively good, they're just good for indie games. An indie game is, by definition, not good because it lacks the resources of a professional game studio.

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Murphy Brownback posted:

I wouldn't shove anyone out of the way to press it or anything, but I do this because as mentioned, so many people just don't do it, assuming whoever the first one who got there already did. I've seen it happen so many times that it's just a habit by now. It even happens on some of the crossings downtown that display a "please wait" light across the street so you know if someone already pressed it.

That said, I'll also do it if I directly witnessed you pushing it. No particular reason, I just like pushing it. In fact, if it's one of the actual button kind instead of the blocks that just sense when you touch it, I'll keep pushing it over and over until I can cross. It gives me something to do while I wait.

There's just something about the solid thunk of hitting that button that makes me want to push it. I'm sorry for annoying people who don't enjoy it as much as I do but simple things make my day. :f5h::downs:

e:

Screaming Idiot posted:

Indie games suck. Even the good ones that come out aren't objectively good, they're just good for indie games. An indie game is, by definition, not good because it lacks the resources of a professional game studio.
So the only thing that makes a game enjoyable is the budget? Unpopular opinion thread is that way. :frogout:

Intoluene has a new favorite as of 10:34 on Feb 16, 2016

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Intoluene posted:

So the only thing that makes a game enjoyable is the budget? Unpopular opinion thread is that way. :frogout:

poo poo, wrong tab. And no, a budget gives creators the freedom to make a game good as opposed to "Earthbound, but with worse graphics and a storyline from Tumblr's wetdreams."

So I guess one of my pet peeves is people praising indie game developers. "Congratulations! You're mediocre!"

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Screaming Idiot posted:

"Earthbound, but with worse graphics and a storyline from Tumblr's wetdreams."

When you typed these words, I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror, and were suddenly silenced by mouthfuls of cheetos and replaced by the sounds of furious tumblring

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Screaming Idiot posted:

poo poo, wrong tab. And no, a budget gives creators the freedom to make a game good as opposed to "Earthbound, but with worse graphics and a storyline from Tumblr's wetdreams."

So I guess one of my pet peeves is people praising indie game developers. "Congratulations! You're mediocre!"

There are indie games besides Undertale, you know. Take Shovel Knight, for example- an indie game in retro style with a ton of polish, excellent level design and music, and poo poo-tons of content.

photinus
Apr 27, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

When you walk up to set of lighs and there's already a good amount of people there, and then when the lights change the walk light doesn't come on because no one pressed the button. Argh, you stupid useless fucks.

This. This happens all the time in the city in the UK where I live.

It's half term right now. I was walking through the city centre round lunchtime, and four teenage girls walked up to the crossing without sparing a glance at the pelican crossing unit. The only one of them who didn't have a room-temperature IQ had to physically stop her friends from rushing into two lanes of very busy one-way traffic. Seriously, these kids had the traffic instinct of puppies.

I'm not picking on girls, or teenagers - I've witnessed all sorts of people treat the pelican crossing as though it doesn't exist. Don't people realise there's a safe way to cross the road, that you don't have to risk your life if you want to cross the loving road? (That you don't have to force a driver to slam on the brakes because you're too dim to be let out alone? I hit my head on a window on the upper deck of a bus because of one of these jaywalking morons last month.)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

photinus posted:

I'm not picking on girls, or teenagers - I've witnessed all sorts of people treat the pelican crossing as though it doesn't exist. Don't people realise there's a safe way to cross the road, that you don't have to risk your life if you want to cross the loving road? (That you don't have to force a driver to slam on the brakes because you're too dim to be let out alone? I hit my head on a window on the upper deck of a bus because of one of these jaywalking morons last month.)

Some people are just totally oblivious to their surroundings. Yesterday I saw a girl staring off into space in the opposite direction of traffic just walk directly in front of an oncoming tram and start walking down the track. It took about a full 5 seconds of the driver blasting her with the bell for her to realise what was happening. If you're going to walk around with earbuds in, use your drat eyes. It's like if they don't see the thing about to run them over it doesn't exist.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Murphy Brownback posted:

Some people are just totally oblivious to their surroundings. Yesterday I saw a girl staring off into space in the opposite direction of traffic just walk directly in front of an oncoming tram and start walking down the track. It took about a full 5 seconds of the driver blasting her with the bell for her to realise what was happening. If you're going to walk around with earbuds in, use your drat eyes. It's like if they don't see the thing about to run them over it doesn't exist.

During fresman year of college, I saw one guy wait for a green line train to pass while standing on the tracks for the other direction. Of course, the other train was coming and he had earphones in. The conductor had to slam on the brakes, and blared on the horn for a solid thirty seconds to a minute before the dumbass took out an earphone, gave the conductor the stinkeye like they were being the douche, and walked the two steps off the track. Ten seconds later, both trains had passed and he was on his way. I don't think I wanted to slap anybody so hard in my life.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

"A women"

How does this happen? I've never seen a singular man referred to as "a men," so how the gently caress does a singular woman get referred to as "a women" at all? Grammar is not that difficult :psypop:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

liquidypoo posted:

"A women"

How does this happen? I've never seen a singular man referred to as "a men," so how the gently caress does a singular woman get referred to as "a women" at all? Grammar is not that difficult :psypop:

You forgot to use full stops. :colbert:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

poptart_fairy posted:

You forgot to use full stops. :colbert:

Alright, so I'm a little lax with my internet grammar. I tend to skip full stops. It's a bad habit.

My original point about plural forms still stands. :colbert:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

my pet peeve is people who write off media because of the culture surrounding it

i.e. people blasting Deadpool and Undertale because most of the fans are reddit memers or tumblrinos. while it is true that most fanbases are insufferably obnoxious, Deadpool is a decent movie that hits at least 50% of the jokes and Undertale is a good game with novel inversions of RPG tropes that desperately needed an editor for the dialogue. Also both only exist largely due to the dedicated efforts of a single person (Ryan Reynolds/Toby Fox).

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013

SciFiDownBeat posted:

desperately needed an editor for the dialogue

That's my pet peeve. Noticed it most recently in Master of None. Are Americans under 35 just inexperienced with face-to-face conversation?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Whiz Palace posted:

That's my pet peeve. Noticed it most recently in Master of None. Are Americans under 35 just inexperienced with face-to-face conversation?

*glances up from phone/tablet/laptop* Huh? *back to facebook*

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

liquidypoo posted:

"A women"

See also: people who write plural words like they're contractions. How do you do this after fourth grade?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I got one- people who park on the ends of a curbside parking zone and don't pull their car forward/back right up to the sign. If you're parallel parking and leave more than a quarter carlength between the end of the zone and the closest bumper, you are an rear end in a top hat and are making it that much more difficult for everyone else to park, with no benefit for yourself. Come on, it's rude.

C-Euro has a new favorite as of 05:13 on Feb 18, 2016

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I absolutely understand where you're coming from but SA was kinda lovely about undertale too. Every thread even tangentially related to RPGs got a post demanding that everyone buy the game, or I guess there's a demo if you're a loving moron (for not paying money for a game based off one biased recommendation) but you literally have to at least play that. Which, yeah no, sorry, gently caress you.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

AlphaKretin posted:

Every thread even tangentially related to RPGs got a post demanding that everyone buy the game, or I guess there's a demo if you're a loving moron (for not paying money for a game based off one biased recommendation) but you literally have to at least play that.

Even in threads that have nothing to do with games someone comes barging in like "oh you have an undertale avatar? Let me post an essay about My Undertale Opinion!" and then of course everyone goes back and forth posting their "actually, it's good/bad" opinions. It's one of those inevitable derails that you know is going to come up every time it's mentioned (see: this thread).

The ones that annoy me even more though are things that are different from region to region, whether it's food, traffic laws, tipping customs, etc. Once one person posts "this is the way it is where I live", everyone feels compelled to chime in and say "well in rural kentucky, it's like this _____", with some people acting incredulous that things could possibly be different from what they're used to.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Other Person: Hi, docbeard, I need you to do THING.

Me: Okay

Other Person: Because I need THING to get done because...

Me: All right, I'll do it.

Other Person: ...and so it's important that THING get done because...

Me: Yes, okay, I'll do it.

Other Person: ...so if you could do THING I would really appreciate it.

Me: I will do THING.

Other Person: Could you do THING for me?

Me: ARGH

Every goddamn conversation I have at this office some days.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.
Ah, office conversations.

Today I had a meeting to reiterate the updates with the client that I had already given the client's assistant yesterday, which she did not give to him. Updates he is already copied on via e-mail each time something changes.

Two people were out sick, so they weren't at the meeting, which means we get to do all this again in a week. To provide updates. Which are provided in real time via email.

If we cut the bullshit, we could reduce the typical office workday to four hours with zero change in actual productivity.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

docbeard posted:

This is what happens when my dad asks me to do something. "Put that song on this thumbstick" versus "So I was talking to Katie and she wasn't feeling well, so we didn't talk long, but we talked about music and :words: :words:"

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Murphy Brownback posted:

I've had this kind of thing happen on both sides:

- Honked at a guy today who jogged into the store from the parking lot, from behind a large vehicle, without using the crosswalk. Should have run his rear end over for flipping me the bird when he didn't look before crossing. loving rear end in a top hat.
- Got honked at a couple days ago by an old white haired oval office who didn't stop for a different store crosswalk. Yes there are stop signs clearly posted on both sides. Apparently I didn't walk fast enough for her so she got the finger for being an impatient bitch.

I can't wait for these people to die from old age or stupidity, the world will be better off without them.

MisterBibs posted:

This is what happens when my dad asks me to do something. "Put that song on this thumbstick" versus "So I was talking to Katie and she wasn't feeling well, so we didn't talk long, but we talked about music and :words: :words:"

Yep, this too - at work and at home. My dad is easy to get info from, always a simple "Hey can you do <x> for me on <date>?" With my mom it's like getting an entire novella in audio form..."Hey can you look at my iPad I was on Facebook and writing to your sister about what to get for her birthday and and..." so it takes 20 minutes to tell me she got a random pop-up in Facebook and doesn't know what it was. Same with some clients at my job, but most of those are "hey can you do <thing/task> for me?" and no other information on what the task is for, where to install, who will be using it, or anything else. Great, I get to spend a half hour on the phone hoping they or someone else know what's going on and can give me the info I need. :suicide:

BOOTY-ADE has a new favorite as of 22:06 on Feb 18, 2016

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

docbeard posted:

My sister does this all the time, and it drives me nuts. And if I have the gall to say "Okay I got it you don't have to repeat yourself" she acts like I've kicked a puppy.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

People who act like their interests make them a persecuted minority. A Facebook friend just posted am article entitled "Why I will not apologize for posting my runs on social media". Sure, I bet someone kicked your door in and demanded you beg forgiveness for posting your runs, but you stood firm like the modern day Rosa Parks you are.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm training for a new job by shadowing a coworker who's been doing it for 20 years. And I know jobs become automatic after that much time, but this is getting annoying:

Trainer: Okay, so once you're on this screen compare this number to the one on that page. *points to screen with twelve numbers on it*
Me: *writing notes* Which number?
Trainer: The total. Then you F4 through and compare the totals on those screens to the ones you wrote down earlier...
Me: *writes that down* Okay, got it.
Trainer: Then you just.... *clicks through five screens, writes down three numbers, sends an email, winds up back at the menu screen* ... and that's that. *stands up* Let's get coffee.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I know it's just me being an impatient rear end in a top hat, but people whose every second word is "ummm" or "uhhh".

Slow down and think about what you want to say before you speak :argh:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tiggum posted:

Yesterday when I was walking to the shops, a car didn't immediately start moving when the light turned green, so the drivers of the two cars behind him both honked at him. One of them just gave the horn a brief tap to get the guy's attention. The other one leant on the horn for about 30 seconds, well after the line had started moving and the car that had been in the way was already around the corner. :argh:

A while back, I hadn't yet come to a complete stop at a stop sign when the fucker behind me began blasting his horn for me to go.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

On that note, I've had someone lean on his horn because I didn't move when the light turned green because there was a crowd of pedestrians crossing the street that I was going to turn to.

Other driving related peeves of mine, I hate highway traffic, especially when caused by accidents. Generally, the traffic comes from funneling 3-4 lanes into a smaller number of lanes, which I understand. What I don't understand is why traffic gets really bad when the people involved are in the breakdown lane and not actually in the way so no lane funneling is involved and the best I've come up with is that people slow to a crawl so they can gawk because traffic instantly gets much, much lighter as soon as I get past the accident. I also hate people perpendicular to you in an intersection who decide that it's ok to go when it's your turn to go and the head of your car has barely passed theirs and people who refuse to let you switch into their lane on the highway are also really bad. Just this morning, I was trying to switch to an exit lane so I could switch highways, but the guy I was trying to get behind slowed down as if to say "no, you're not getting in here" while turning his head to me and giving me a dirty look. There was plenty of space behind him too because the guy behind him was kind enough to give me space!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

grittyreboot posted:

People who act like their interests make them a persecuted minority. A Facebook friend just posted am article entitled "Why I will not apologize for posting my runs on social media". Sure, I bet someone kicked your door in and demanded you beg forgiveness for posting your runs, but you stood firm like the modern day Rosa Parks you are.

Along the same lines, people who don't understand that it's okay to post about uninteresting poo poo on social media. I find that these people come in one of the following varieties:

1) person who wrongly feels entitled to likes on all their uninteresting poo poo
2) person who wrongly feels entitled to tell other people what to post
3) person who passive-aggressively complains about people's posts instead of just unfollowing them

Post and let post. Unfollow and let unfollow.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Yeah it's pretty easy to set it up so you don't have to see poo poo you don't want to. Did I bitch out my cousin for liking a Franklin Graham (religious nutjob) post, this making it appear in my feed? No, I just hit "never show posts from Franklin Graham" and if that doesn't work then I'll unfollow that cousin. Easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ChaosArgate posted:

On that note, I've had someone lean on his horn because I didn't move when the light turned green because there was a crowd of pedestrians crossing the street that I was going to turn to.

This happens every minute of every day in downtown Chicago. I got honked at and received a "gently caress YOU" for not turning left into a dozen people. The best part is it was a wide-open four-lane road and the guy wasn't turning left himself, but rather trying to get past me.