Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
Haha cool, that's gotta be an ARG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

CelticPredator posted:

That was beautiful. What a loving ride that show was.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rp6CCdtfHwg

Sarcastical
Sep 6, 2011

DolphinCop posted:

Haha cool, that's gotta be an ARG

Or, you know, a second show?

IIRC, Alex did say that this wouldn't be the last we saw of everyone, and Bills...petrified body(?) is still around. Dead chaos gods certainly cant be good for the environment.

Hmm. Rusty gates= McGucket Manor?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Really F#$^%g good finale! I'll miss you Gravity Falls!

Good stuff:
-All the humor was great but the anime jokes nearly killed me. God I'm going to miss this show...

-There were some great animated bits to be found all over. Bill's death was particularly neat.

-Larry Kings head is back! YAY!!!

-Good job making me feel feelings show. I don't normally go around expressing those things..

Minor gripes:
-I still think the creators had another half-season's worth of material that they never actually got to make. The show doesn't suffer for it not being made really, but I would have likes to have seen a bit more all the same.

-The finale got a bit too sappy at times and some plot threads were wrapped up a little too cleanly. I attribute some of this to the above point.

-I like that they gave a nod to the paper Dipper twins at the end but I'm still kind of bummed that they never got a real callback. I kept expecting them to show up and they never did. I was particularly disappointed at the end where I was hoping that they'd either be the town's new mystery twins, Join Ford/Stan as apprentices, or pop up after the tearful bus goodbye and be all "Sup! What did we miss?" and kill the mood. So much wasted potential!

-Stan getting his mind back was the one truly bullshit move in the whole episode. Heroic actions need consequences damnit! Though on the plus side this leaves a LOT of room for sequel series since bringing back Stan probably brought back Bill as well.

-No gunsword! BOOOO!!! (Or did I just miss it?)

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Sarcastical posted:

Or, you know, a second show?

IIRC, Alex did say that this wouldn't be the last we saw of everyone,

Wait, what? When did this happen? TELL ME drat YOU I'M NOT READY FOR THIS SHOW TO BE DONE YET!!!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's pretty cool.

If anyone wondered what he spelled out there:

Wikipedia posted:

XOLOTL
In Aztec mythology, Xolotl was the god with associations to both lightning and death. He was connected with the sunset and would guard the Sun as it traveled through the underworld every night. Dogs were associated with Xolotl. This deity and a dog were believed to lead the soul on its journey to the underworld.He was commonly depicted as a monstrous dog. Xolotl was the god of fire and lightning. He was also god of twins, monsters, misfortune, sickness and deformities.

Goddamit Hirsch you beautiful bastard.

Sarcastical
Sep 6, 2011

readingatwork posted:

Wait, what? When did this happen? TELL ME drat YOU I'M NOT READY FOR THIS SHOW TO BE DONE YET!!!

Oh no, the show is over, this just isn't the last we've seen of the Pines family.

I believe it was during the Q&A episode.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sarcastical posted:

Oh no, the show is over, this just isn't the last we've seen of the Pines family.

I believe it was during the Q&A episode.

Does Hirsch own the characters then, or does this mean Disney is doing something with them?

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
It's actually AXOLOTL, during his reddit ama hirsch would respond to questions he didn't want to answer with a picture of an axolotl

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Aww, Kyle MacLachlan played the bus driver!

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

readingatwork posted:

-Stan getting his mind back was the one truly bullshit move in the whole episode. Heroic actions need consequences damnit! Though on the plus side this leaves a LOT of room for sequel series since bringing back Stan probably brought back Bill as well.

On one hand I kind of agree in that I felt the manner in which he got his memories back was a little contrived, or it didn't seem like he stayed amnesiac long enough to give his sacrifice weight. On the other hand I totally disagree that getting his mind back at all was bullshit. That'd be way too dark/sad of a note to end a series like this on.

Also I think if I can shrink it right I want to try and get Stan and Ford with the brass knuckles and gun as an av.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Tetracube posted:

It's actually AXOLOTL, during his reddit ama hirsch would respond to questions he didn't want to answer with a picture of an axolotl

That's just as good!

Watching that clip and thinking about Bill ending up a lawn ornament. Well, the townsfolk were petrified too, and that wore off. It's a nice continuation of the layers the series had through its run.

Also liked the bit of backstory with Bill coming from a different dimension (Flatland basically) and then transcending it after somehow gaining enough power to wreck it. Kind of parallels Ford's quest to unravel mysterious forces. Also sets it up the idea of greater forces than Bill out there.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I like McGuckett walking into the mansion and just throwing down his Bindle:

"Well, I'm moved in! :v:"

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I really loved the ending, even if I'm incredibly sad now that its over.

I guess my three minor grips would be Dipper's name, and the fact that Alex specifically said a major character would die and that Mable could not keep Waddles after the summer. I feel like Disney put a gun to his head and said 'no, neither of those things are happening' so there had to be a quick undo at the very end.

Thanks Alex Hirsch for the best cartoon in years. I really, really, really hope Fox does not gently caress over your next project.

Now if you'll excuse me I have something in my eye.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I also loved the implication that the Stans are going to R'lyeh

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I'm a little sad that the President's Key, which could open any lock in America, never came back. That seemed like such an obvious "Remember this plot device in a later episode!" kinda thing.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Well, that was a pleasant ending.

There's a lovely hint to be a spinoff for when they go back the next summer, although I suspect that it's more likely to be left to the designs of the fanbase and their fiction than any chance that FOX DISNEY DAMNIT I MEANT DISNEY will let Alex have another go.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 16, 2016

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

Alex specifically said a major character would die

Um Bill was a major character and he died duh :v:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

WarpedNaba posted:

Well, that was a pleasant ending.

There's a lovely hint to be a spinoff for when they go back the next summer, although I suspect that it's more likely to be left to the designs of the fanbase and their fiction than any chance that FOX will let Alex have another go.

I think it was meant as more of a "You have to grow up, but you can still come visit your friends in the summer" kind of a thing. I don't know who owns what with GF, but I don't see the property jumping from Disney to Fox. Also fanfiction only exists if you look for it. Don't.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Goodbye Gravity Falls, I loved you :smith:.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
See all you guys on the Fox show I guess

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That finale was near-perfect, with the only major complaint I could possibly have being echoing that guys thing about Stan shoulda stayed amnesia'd. I know it's a kids show but storytelling is storytelling and all that and I never ever like when shows do a big sacrifice moment only to immediately reverse it. Also speaking of it was insane when I heard "time to go turn some children into corpses" on the Disney Channel.

Goodbye, Gravity Falls. You were never as good as the amazing shows on CN but as far as Western animation for children in this decade goes you're an extremely comfortable third place

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Maybe Stan should have lost SOME memories forever. Like, retained his memory of himself and his family, but lost his memories of the summer itself, or the past 20 years, or something.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I thought I was ready for it to be over. Turns out I wasn't. I need more Mabel. I need more Wendy. I need more Waddles :(

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Maybe he lost his memories of his parents :unsmith:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nameless Pete posted:

I'm a little sad that the President's Key, which could open any lock in America, never came back. That seemed like such an obvious "Remember this plot device in a later episode!" kinda thing.

Should have been used to take out the lock monster.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

What's an anime, is it the one with guns or the one with swords? Well, tell me Soos! Which one is it?!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I realised by focusing on the memory loss thing earlier I didn't truly put enough attention into how much the episode owned

because the episode absolutely owned

I mean almost totally perfect in every way

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I really wish Stan getting his memory erased wasn't zero consequence. Part of me almost feels like it was written to be permanent with the way Stan and Ford have a fresh start together and Soos takes over the Mystery Shack. Bill trapped inside the burning building of Stan's mind was such an amazing climax though I can hardly complain.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

That was such a great send-off that I don't even care how much hand-waving there was to bring Stan's memory back. I know that Hirsch has another show he's doing after this one, but I sorta hope that he comes back in the future for a made-for-Disney XD movie. There is still weirdness in the world, after all.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Futaba Anzu posted:

What's an anime, is it the one with guns or the one with swords? Well, tell me Soos! Which one is it?!
There is an anime literally called GunxSword.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Ok, I may have gotten a touch teary when the twins left Gravity Falls.

LOVED that the finale involved so many amazing callbacks and all the brilliant side-characters joined forces.

Was expecting more Candy, Grenda and Lazy Susan though.

Did they explicitly make the cops a couple? Poor Tyrone and other clone being left in the forest.

Still, amazing series, lovely scheduling and it will be sorely missed. Come back, Gravity Falls!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Why does the show about mysteries end with giant robot punch ups and demon mind fights when they weren't interesting or good the first time around

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Feb 16, 2016

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
yeah, I loved what the show was, but with the scheduling situation Disney had them in and the way the story progressed, I felt like I was just watching this to have closure.

I would have liked less of the Mech fighting and more of that mystery. Guess they just wanted to wrap it up.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
What a great show.

It's a real shame about them instantly giving Stan his memories back, though. It was so dumb that later on, when Stanford pulls Stan aside for a private word, I thought he was going to say that he knew Stanley was only faking having his memories back. Stanley is a consummate conman, and he did only start remembering names after being shown a photo album that was presumably filled with them. Oh well.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Disney is Bill. Had the make a deal to give stans memories back on the condition that Bill States he wants to kill children.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I wasn't a huge fan of how Stan got his memories back because it was pretty sappy, but I had no problem with him getting his memories back. Just because he didn't end up permanently losing his memory doesn't mean that he wasn't willing to sacrifice it to save his family.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just loved how chill he was when Bill got into his head. I'm surprised he didn't offer him a glass of whisky as the shack burned down around them. Just to add insult to injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Why does the show about mysteries end with giant robot punch ups and demon mind fights when they weren't interesting or good the first time around

The demon taking over the town was a symbolism of Dipper's need for consequence-free adventure/mystery gone to the logical extreme, resulting in the town being torn apart by an external, maleficent force that was (technically) in Dipper's control. If he had chosen not to follow Ford to do adventure stuff, nothing would have happen. He of course encounters the wreck of Gravity Falls as the direct result of his action, but nothing could be more pronounced - and driven down to its very essence - than the manifestation of Mabel's dreamland. He comes to the realisation that her dream, very much like his dream, are pure fantasy that cannot work in practical, and must be destroyed.

The difference between Mabel's Dreamworld and the Wrecked Gravity Falls is the aggressor. The dream is built by Mabel ; the WreckedFalls is built by That Triangle Guy. While generally the same, the logic used by Mabel/Triangle are very different, and therefore the destruction must be brought down to the same arena of each other's logic. For Mabel, this comes down to court via debate; for Triangle, a massive anime house robot is necessary to defeat the absurdity and violence of the situation.

Ultimately the finale of Gravity Falls is a distillation of how childhood nostalgia is damaging to the child, if said child refuses to grow up. It ends with a birthday, appropriately, but not old enough when cynicism begins to seep in.

Thus, if the finale did not involve giant robot and demon punch-ups, then it can only be a disappointing failure which asserts that an infantile return to fantasy is the lesson. The finale is a triumph.

• Locked thread