Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

This might sound silly, but is there any way to play Project Brutality with vertical auto-aim like in traditional doom? I'm playing on a laptop without a mouse, and the touchpad is terrible, so I usually play keyboard only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

RichterIX posted:

Is there a recommended WAD for Project Brutality? I think I might have finally played Ultimate Doom and Doom 2 too many times.
The Brutal Doom campaign WAD (confusingly titled "Hell On Earth Starter Pack") is explicitly supported. I'm finding the maps to be way too long but I'm still having fun with it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Minidust posted:

The Brutal Doom campaign WAD (confusingly titled "Hell On Earth Starter Pack") is explicitly supported. I'm finding the maps to be way too long but I'm still having fun with it.

I was enjoying it up until the Dead Simple level. I'm on the one right after it and it's also annoying as Hell. I liked the first several levels though. There's more like them later on, right?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've just been playing it on the 'no rest for the living' campaign in doom 2 and having a lot of fun.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

TerminusEst13 posted:

While we're in the Identify That Game topic, there's an oooooold aaaaas shiiiit game I remember when I was playing as a wee lad that I've been hunting for forever and ever.

It was an old FPS set in a gigantic locale of some kind (I want to say a mothership?), and you had to fly around it for a little bit first to pick a place to be dropped off. And then as you wandered around from area to area, there were a set amount of enemies to kill, kind of like Metroid 2.
Probably the most standout to me, though, were the death cutscenes--every time you died, the screen would go black, and then there'd be a little 90s CGI cutscene depicting how you died. If you ran off the edge like a dumbass, it'd show a cutscene of you falling down into some snow. If you died to an enemy, the cutscene would be of you just taking a couple steps forward and then collapsing like you had a heart attack or something.

I've been searching for this drat game forever, and I've never been able to find any information on it whatsoever. I don't even know what it's named--the name "Fire and Ice" ring a bell, but that is a DECISIVELY different game.
Any of this ring any bells for anyone?

Are you sure it was an FPS? Out of this World/Another World almost fits this description...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjMf_bEfqIc

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
2016 isn't shaping up to be a great year for classic FPSs on Steam - seems Duke Nukem 3D Megaton Edition just got pulled from sale. No idea when it'll be back. That said, it was bundled a load of times so I'd imagine keys aren't hard to come by.

Duke Nukem Forever now takes the "best Duke game on Steam" crown by default

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I am extraordinary pissed that AvP2 is not on steam. :orks:

EDIT: the thief series is on steam! :neckbeard:

The bundle includes thi4f though. :froggonk:

Klaus88 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Feb 16, 2016

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
AvP2 is in the exact same rights hellhole that NOLF is, except fewer people care because they like the bad one more.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Last time I tried to run AvP2 the mouse controls were all sorts of hella hosed and it ran at like 15 fps no matter what I did.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Elliotw2 posted:

AvP2 is in the exact same rights hellhole that NOLF is, except fewer people care because they like the bad one more.

Come to think of it, are there any of the bigger Lithtech titles that aren't stuck in IP limbo? I can only think of Tron 2.0, but there has to be more than that, right?

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
If I wanted to play Project Brutality through Ultimate Doom what's the easiest way to do that? Do I just load Doom.wad as a map wad (I assume I can't load PB onto doom.wad directly)?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Tippis posted:

Come to think of it, are there any of the bigger Lithtech titles that aren't stuck in IP limbo? I can only think of Tron 2.0, but there has to be more than that, right?

FEAR and SHOGO I guess? Monolith liked making licensed games, and they were published by Fox so basically everything between Blood 2 and FEAR 1 are stuck in rights hell.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Last time I tried to run AvP2 the mouse controls were all sorts of hella hosed and it ran at like 15 fps no matter what I did.

The trick is that the lithtech engine loving hates USB and if you have more than 3 USB devices plugged in it will poo poo itself.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Klaus88 posted:

EDIT: the thief series is on steam! :neckbeard:

The bundle includes thi4f though. :froggonk:

Did you try that? Pretty underrated game in my book. The crazy labyrinthine city was the most 90s-ish piece of level design in years, in a very good way.

Insert name here posted:

If I wanted to play Project Brutality through Ultimate Doom what's the easiest way to do that? Do I just load Doom.wad as a map wad (I assume I can't load PB onto doom.wad directly)?

If you're using GZDoom you can just drag the Project Brutality pk3 file over the exe, and it'll ask you which iWad to use. Or you can use ZDL, a nice Doom launcher.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 16, 2016

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Elliotw2 posted:

The trick is that the lithtech engine loving hates USB and if you have more than 3 USB devices plugged in it will poo poo itself.

Huh, well that's a hell of a thing, thanks!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Elliotw2 posted:

*looks at incredibly large number of USB peripherals plugged into back of computer*

Well, that's never gonna work out.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Tippis posted:

Anything fairly recent, I think. As for older stuff, it depends on what you consider "bigger." Might and Magic IX, unfortunately. It's not on any DD services that I can see, but I wouldn't imagine that Medal of Honor: Pacific Assault has any rights issues keeping it from showing up? There are actually fairly few big name LithTech games not made by Monolith themselves.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Elliotw2 posted:

Are you kidding? My laptop has like a dozen USB devices even with the ports empty!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have definitely played AVP2 successfully on a computer with lots of USB poo poo plugged in, I think it just doesn't play nice with newer Windows without a patch. (which, iirc, exists.)

tips
Feb 16, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

Last night I got my first axe frag on someone chasing me through a teleporter in Reflex, I think this means I'm good now

still lost by 20 kills
I air rocketed someone from halfway across the map and pretended like I meant to, come at me.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Keiya posted:

Are you kidding? My laptop has like a dozen USB devices even with the ports empty!

There's a couple of fixes, such as disabling all the USB devices you're not using or a registry based hack that Microsoft added in Windows 8.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Update... Looks like Duke3D Megaton is gone for good.

http://techraptor.net/content/duke-nukem-3d-megaton-edition-removed-from-stores

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How is that "gone for good"? I'm certain Gearbox will re-release it on Steam and other platforms but they just don't know specifically when. Happened to Doom and Doom 2 on XBLA and PSN.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

How is that "gone for good"? I'm certain Gearbox will re-release it on Steam and other platforms but they just don't know specifically when. Happened to Doom and Doom 2 on XBLA and PSN.

I mean the Megaton edition specifically, as it was developed by Devolver (who presumably hold the copyright to their work) but the trademark is owned by Gearbox. Supposedly some updates are being made to the Duke Nukem 3D Steam entry that was included with the 3D Realms Anthology which is a completely separate library entry from Megaton. I have no doubt that Duke3D will return to Steam at some point though.

Hopefully it won't mean the expansions (DC, Carribean etc) are gone though, as Megaton edition was the only way to buy them digitally.

Convex fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Feb 16, 2016

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Speaking of Duke, are there any sites with good info on editing it? Stuff like creating new episodes (instead of replacing existing ones) is what I'd like to look into.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

The Eduke32 wiki is the best place to look (probably the only place now) You can actually add whole new episodes in Eduke32 - if you were to open USER.CON and check the volume names all you'd need to do is add a new volume on at the end and change a few numbers.

Also for those of you guys who also happen to be XCOM2 fans I made a Serious Sam soundpack :v: It's on the steam workshop or at the mods nexus here. I'm working on a SiN voicepack next, there's already a Duke one but I might take a crack at it anyways but I'm not sure if it's worth it to try and make a Caleb or Lo Wang one (Caleb has a lot more to choose from, I'd rather have the SW2013 voices for Lo Wang but I don't even know if there's a way to access them)

Jblade fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Feb 16, 2016

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Cat Mattress posted:

Speaking of Duke, are there any sites with good info on editing it? Stuff like creating new episodes (instead of replacing existing ones) is what I'd like to look into.
Funnily enough, I started looking at that, too.

Although, to be frank, my goal wasn't really to make a new Duke map, but to get vertex positions and similar for reference to try and port "Lunatic Fringe" to Eternity Engine (as practice for whenever Graf gets Eternity-style portals working in ZDoom - the stage would make the funkiest Reelism map, I tell you what). Couldn't really figure out how to get the coordinates of vertices, though; the editor seems more interested in telling me which sector I'm highlighting. Also, the Z-axis is really weird; higher numbers are lower floors/ceilings, and the scale it uses is completely different from the scale the X and Y axes use.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Jblade posted:

The Eduke32 wiki is the best place to look (probably the only place now)

That's what I feared.

Simple question, can USER.CON be inside a GRP file?

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Cat Mattress posted:

That's what I feared.

Simple question, can USER.CON be inside a GRP file?
Yeah, as long as there's no USER.CON in the Duke directory - the GAME.CON can be inside the grp as well, all you really need outside the grp file would be a con file with something like "include CUSTOMGAME.CON" and it should be work.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Convex posted:

I mean the Megaton edition specifically, as it was developed by Devolver (who presumably hold the copyright to their work) but the trademark is owned by Gearbox. Supposedly some updates are being made to the Duke Nukem 3D Steam entry that was included with the 3D Realms Anthology which is a completely separate library entry from Megaton. I have no doubt that Duke3D will return to Steam at some point though.

Hopefully it won't mean the expansions (DC, Carribean etc) are gone though, as Megaton edition was the only way to buy them digitally.

This is pure speculation, but Devolver Digital seems like the kind of publisher that would want to work with Gearbox to make sure version of Duke is the best one possible. They seem to genuinely care about the quality of their products. Of course if there some legal mumbo jumbo preventing them from working together, e.g. the work they did was contracted by 3D Realms so 3D Realms would have to sign off on its inclusion in a Gearbox published version of Duke 3D, who the hell knows.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

quote:

Devolver Digital stuff
Netcode for Shadow Warrior Classic Redux is never coming, is it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Gearbox made a public comment about Megaton:
https://twitter.com/GearboxSoftware/status/699630923302604800

Lork posted:

Netcode for Shadow Warrior Classic Redux is never coming, is it?
IIRC Devolver bought the rights to Shadow Warrior outright, so it all hangs on them and General Arcade.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Kins posted:

Gearbox made a public comment about Megaton:
https://twitter.com/GearboxSoftware/status/699630923302604800
IIRC Devolver bought the rights to Shadow Warrior outright, so it all hangs on them and General Arcade.

Speaking of Shadow Warrior, have we gotten anything more concrete regarding when 2 is supposed to come out?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

drrockso20 posted:

Speaking of Shadow Warrior, have we gotten anything more concrete regarding when 2 is supposed to come out?
No word on a release date, just some tweets/photos from a production meeting at Flying Wild Hog last week where they showed progress on the game to their taskmasters at Devolver.

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/697366395995222017
https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/697390491931774976
https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/697808177866215424

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

The Kins posted:

No word on a release date, just some tweets/photos from a production meeting at Flying Wild Hog last week where they showed progress on the game to their taskmasters at Devolver.

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/697366395995222017
https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/697390491931774976
https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/697808177866215424

Well hopefully we'll get something more concrete at one of the next couple of game conferences(between this, and the nebulous dates for the console versions of Vermintide and Killing Floor 2, I'm getting kinda antsy, although at least Doom 4 will be relatively soon)

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Warren Spector has joined the development of System Shock 3. Or will, once this teaching semester ends, anyway.

Warren posted:

When the opportunity to have a bigger role in bringing Underworld Ascendant to life, as well as playing in the System Shock universe once again, helping to bring these games to a 21st century audience, I just couldn’t say no ... Working on System Shock was one of the most fulfilling things I’ve done in my career and it’s hard to describe how much I’m looking forward to sharing with players what SHODAN has been up to since the last game was released.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

The Kins posted:

Warren Spector has joined the development of System Shock 3. Or will, once this teaching semester ends, anyway.

I'd love to attend a class by Spector.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Kins posted:

I kind of hope that SHODAN is only very tangentially touched upon, if at all, in SS3. She's already lost twice (or 1½ times, depending on how you look at the ending) and it would be a bit sad if she gets diminished by losing yet again. Well, assuming you actually beat her — if she were allowed to win, that could possibly be interesting.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

I hope for some romance options between the hacker and Shodan. At least some jacking in.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

S-S-Slip into my v-v-vajayjay hacker.

I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tippis posted:

I kind of hope that SHODAN is only very tangentially touched upon, if at all, in SS3. She's already lost twice (or 1½ times, depending on how you look at the ending) and it would be a bit sad if she gets diminished by losing yet again. Well, assuming you actually beat her — if she were allowed to win, that could possibly be interesting.

Literally the first and only thing we've seen from the game is SHODAN, she's gonna be in that game