Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Also, I do not actually exist.

Put some more thought into your readings then.

:haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

https://www.facebook.com/StarWars.UK/videos/vb.216676368377759/1085460138166040/?type=2&theater

Some Star Wars are happening right now people!

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I was so happy watching this despite it being non-content

Beeez
May 28, 2012

wyoming posted:

I really can't even say Maz is like Yoda outside of "tiny alien"
By that metric, the puppet on the two person horse trying to kidnap BB was a "true Yoda"
He teaches us the important life lesson that some people are just jerks.

Well, she's also over 1000 years old, so she's beaten him for oldest character.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Hell y-yeah! Laura Dern with a goddamn lightsaber... gently caress I love living in the now! :slick:

Edit: wait poo poo, no, the now sucks. Laura Dern using a lightsaber is in the future

FutonForensic fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Feb 15, 2016

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
Youtube Linkage

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQQMLE4FuIQ

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I hope Benecio Del Torro is just playing The Collector again. Same outfit, it would fit fine.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Time for a new VIII spoiler thread?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
Star Wars: Episode VIII - The Luke Skywalker Show

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Teek posted:

Time for a new VIII spoiler thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748341&pagenumber=166#lastpost
I opened the old one

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Maz is the Lady of the Lake from Arthurian legend. Which is a pretty cool reference, but it doesn't really make the character that much more interesting because she still comes across as basically just a bland female version of Yoda. The role of Lady of the Lake is kind of wasted on her, honestly, because she doesn't leave much of an impact.

And I'm still not sure how she's supposed to fit into the universe. Why is the Lady of the Lake running a smuggler's bar out of Camelot? And who put that giant statue of her there? Did she used to preside over her own royal court or something? Maybe she herself was once the spiritual leader of a mystical order of Arthurian Force knights? Her backstory seems kind of interesting. I just wish the character herself was more engaging.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Apparently a signficant number of her scenes her cut because Abrams wasn't happy with her VA's performance, maybe she came together more as a character in the original script?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

multijoe posted:

Apparently a signficant number of her scenes her cut because Abrams wasn't happy with her VA's performance, maybe she came together more as a character in the original script?

Maybe in the future there will be a TFA: SE with her scenes restored.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

ungulateman posted:

if you don't actually exist, could you direct me to the (obviously archived by now) twilight thread so i can read what you have to say about it?

I'm pretty sure that stuff is scattered around various threads. But it's pretty easy to explain Twilight:

Just take Rey and Kylo in Force Awakens, and then switch it so that Rey is the one who actually wants to be powerful (e.g. she would be the one demanding that Kylo train her, instead of bowing down to Luke). That's pretty much the only difference in the characterization.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

multijoe posted:

This probably isn't true. It is pretty clear that large amounts of story and exposition were being cut and shuffled around long into the production however--like apparently we were supposed to know who that lady on Not Coruscant was, among other things.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
You know what's kind of weird? Going into TFA blind, there's no clear indication to the audience that thirty years have passed since ROTJ until a third of the way through the movie, when Han shows up looking all old. Until then, for all we're told and shown, it could just be a couple years after Endor. In fact, that's what it totally seems like, since all the starships still look more or less exactly the same.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Cnut the Great posted:

You know what's kind of weird? Going into TFA blind, there's no clear indication to the audience that thirty years have passed since ROTJ until a third of the way through the movie, when Han shows up looking all old. Until then, for all we're told and shown, it could just be a couple years after Endor. In fact, that's what it totally seems like, since all the starships still look more or less exactly the same.

Hell, you'd be hard presses to realise the empire was defeated at all. This is my biggest problem with the movie. Nothings changed, everything is just the same as you remembered! Except Luke's a coward, Leia is a workaholic and Han is a deadbeat. But here's the falcon, isn't that soo cool guys!

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

Hell, you'd be hard presses to realise the empire was defeated at all. This is my biggest problem with the movie. Nothings changed, everything is just the same as you remembered! Except Luke's a coward, Leia is a workaholic and Han is a deadbeat. But here's the falcon, isn't that soo cool guys!

I really wanted the new cast to get a cool new ship and not just be saddled with the baggage of the old crew (this goes for the plot too)

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
You could dramatically improve Force Awakens by putting the destruction of Coruscant at the very start of the film.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

McCloud posted:

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss. :shrug:

Yub nub tho.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
This thread: http://webmshare.com/K7Gg1

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Luke has a real Father Time thing going on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is Yoda Zizek?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

turtlecrunch posted:

Luke has a real Father Time thing going on.

Think it's more like Rip Van Winkle. Hence the confused look on his face when Rey offers him the lightsaber.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I honestly wonder what JJ Abrams would say if you showed him that post.

He'd say shut up, laugh, count his money and never think about it again

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Cnut the Great posted:

If the weathered wrecks of all those iconic Original Trilogy ships and vehicles rusting all over Jakku didn't communicate to you that a long time has passed between the OT and now I don't know what to tell you.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Empress Theonora posted:

If the weathered wrecks of all those iconic Original Trilogy ships and vehicles rusting all over Jakku didn't communicate to you that a long time has passed between the OT and now I don't know what to tell you.

They are not rusting; they are preserved in the dry air. The bulk of the imagery associated with Jakku is of stasis.

The film does mix its metaphors with the imagery of tie fighters instantly disintegrating - but that's instantly disintegrating. Not forty years of decay.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Empress Theonora posted:

Refer to my earlier post:

Cnut the Great posted:

I agree with this analysis, and I'd actually go so far as to say that it is intentional. But that's actually symptomatic of the problem: Namely, that the filmmakers really wanted to make an OT throwback movie, and molded the story around this desire. They didn't have to do that.

I think it would have been more effective if the ST had begun by introducing us to a status quo whose design aesthetic was clearly thirty years removed from that of the OT. The status quo then could have been disrupted by the intrusion of a faction which utilized a design aesthetic harking back to the Empire. (And even then, the new Imperial designs wouldn't have had to be nearly exactly the same as the old Imperial designs.)

This would have been strong visual storytelling. As it stands, the visual storytelling of TFA is muddled by its insistence on hewing so closely to the past. Take this shot:

The iconic starship designs which soared and clashed in the OT are now nothing more than the inert wreckage of a bygone age. That's the idea, right? But the movie completely contradicts this notion at every turn, rendering this (quite wonderful) shot thematically meaningless.

The very first shot of the movie is of a First Order Star Destroyer which, if you were unfamiliar with the series or weren't paying close attention, I doubt you would even realize was of a notably different design than the Imperial one you later see wrecked on Jakku. The design of the Resistance X-wings, likewise, is virtually indistinguishable from that of the crashed Rebel X-wing in the shot.

Because the movie lacks any distinct "contemporary" aesthetic for the throwback designs of the Resistance and First Order to contrast against, the idea that these designs even are throwbacks is never clearly communicated. As far as the audience is concerned, this is just the way things still are, as if nothing in the galaxy was truly changed by the momentous events of Return of the Jedi.

Apparently, the galaxy has mostly just stagnated for the past three decades. Any progress that was made is inconsequential, and can be dismissed with a few vague off-screen references to a New Republic whose first blink-and-you'll-miss-it appearance two-thirds of the way through the film is also its last before immediately being obliterated by a small group of Imperial cosplayers.

I'm not disputing whether there's a plausible thematic rationale for the unoriginality of the designs. I'm just disputing whether it's the most interesting--or effective--direction for the filmmakers to have taken.

The shot of all those weathered wrecks just ends up being confusing if you weren't already clued into the backstory, because, well prior to this shot, the film has already prominently featured both Star Destroyers and X-wings in fine working order engaged in the old familiar battle between good and evil. And nothing about these "new" Star Destroyer and X-wing designs screams "These are new. Technology has progressed. Much time has passed." Pretty much nothing has changed. The movie clumsily undercuts itself in this way, and so it's impossible to even derive any "return to the old ways" meta-commentary from it. There is no return to the old ways, because from everything we're shown, the old ways never left.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Feb 16, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I didn't really know that a whole lot of time was supposed to have passed going in, but the wrecked destroyer and the new Tie fighters and homing plasma missile things clued me in pretty quick, along with the title crawl saying "hey the Empire got owned btw". Then I saw Han, and was impressed that he was way more mobile than in Expendables 3. They didn't have to move the camera around and zoom in on him sitting in a helicopter seat to fake it or anything! Wow!

I thought the X-wings looked different too in that way that cars look different but also not really.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Feb 16, 2016

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
What I got from Jakku was that I really want that Empire of a Thousand Planets movie. The shots from inside the crashed Star Destroyed seemed like they'd been ripped straight out of the comic.

Also, the Shingouz would definitely had made the movie better. Who cares if they're from an entirely different property?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

They are not rusting; they are preserved in the dry air. The bulk of the imagery associated with Jakku is of stasis.

The film does mix its metaphors with the imagery of tie fighters instantly disintegrating - but that's instantly disintegrating. Not forty years of decay.

"Rusting" was perhaps the wrong word, but they're weathered, aging, decrepit and being picked over by scavengers. When we first see Rey traversing the interior of the downed Star Destroyer, she's framed as an archaeologist exploring some crumbling old temple. The remnants of the war on Jakku are ruins-- at once capturing the imagination of the current generation (Rey in her beaten-up pilot's helmet, the obelisks the Roman Empire carted off from Egypt mystifying the inhabitants of medieval Rome) and being recycled to meet the needs of the present (Rey living in an AT-AT, the entire scavenging economy, the casing stones of the Great Pyramid removed as materials for new reconstruction, Roman civil buildings becoming Christian churches).

How do posters who have done all of these really fascinating close analyses of the visuals and design sense of the prequels (that really have deepened my appreciation for them!) manage to be so completely obtuse about what could possibly be signified by a desert full of the crumbling monuments of Empire?

Cnut the Great posted:

Refer to my earlier post:

The shot of all those weathered wrecks just ends up being confusing if you weren't already clued into the backstory, because, well prior to this shot, the film has already prominently featured both Star Destroyers and X-wings in fine working order engaged in the old familiar battle between good and evil. And nothing about these "new" Star Destroyer and X-wing designs screams "These are new. Technology has progressed. Much time has passed." Pretty much nothing has changed. The movie clumsily undercuts itself in this way, and so it's impossible to even derive any "return to the old ways" meta-commentary from it. There is no return to the old ways, because from everything we're shown, the old ways never left.

Even if the modern Star Destroyers, X-Wings, stormtrooper armor and guns, and the other tech we'd seen up until that point looked exactly like they had in the Original Trilogy, the presence of the same ships as obviously weathered and aged wrecks on Jakku still would have told us that some large length of time had passed between the movies, which, you'll remember, is the point I was actually replying to. Those ship designs were relatively new when the OT takes place (the fighters and Star Destroyers from Episode III looked different, after all), and now they're old enough that they're literally gathering dust on Jakku. The passage of time is clearly indicated.

But, of course, the modern ships aren't identical to the old ones. Like that cool transition in design you see over the prequel trilogy from the the elegance of the Republic to the chunky utilitarianism of the Empire, the look of the First Order tells the story of a hardcore fringe devoted to reviving the idea of the Empire and pushing its ideas even further. Stormtrooper armor is streamlined, stripped of most of its old greeblies and details, reduced to its most basic iconic shapes. The guns those stormtroopers carry and the TIE fighters that support them are now in the same distinct black and white two-tone design-- an aesthetically coherent fighting force. The Resurgent-class Star Destroyers, with their lower bridge towers, flatter profile and sharper edges, emphasize the dagger shape of the old Star Destroyers.

That symbol of the triumph of technology over life, the Death Star, becomes a literal technological scar cutting across the surface of a planet. In ANH, the decision to harness the power of the Death Star as a weapon of terror is taken in a board room full of fascist technocrats:

In the First Order, that decision is announced by a demagogue in an ostentatiously fascist rally:

It's not as dramatic a shift in design as you see from the Republic to the Empire. But the Empire was a rejection of the Republic's values; the First Order was doubling down on the values of the Empire. The Empire's utilitarianism become an aesthetic in and of itself.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

That was a nice try, but no your post is wrong because of reasons nobody cares about.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Empress Theonora posted:

But the Empire was a rejection of the Republic's values; the First Order was doubling down on the values of the Empire. The Empire's utilitarianism become an aesthetic in and of itself.

This is a good point, but it also highlights a bigger incongruity of the film.

The film certain does show that 30 years has passed from RotJ, to an extent, but the characters are--nearly to a person--trying to pretend that it hasn't. So you have the First Order using Empire-styled battleships and the Resistance uses suped-up X-Wings despite the fact that they're 30-year-old machines.

If the movie was really meant to emphasize that the galaxy has moved on, then it could have really done a great deal more to shown it. It would have really benefited from more points of contrast, by showing places and people in the galaxy that actually had changed. As it is we only see a glimpse of the new and different capitol planet before it's uncomfortable unfamiliarity is removed by history-worshipers.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Feb 16, 2016

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
It seems very tepid and unimaginative given what you could do with the Star Wars galaxy, 30 years later.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Empress Theonora posted:

"Rusting" was perhaps the wrong word, but they're weathered, aging, decrepit and being picked over by scavengers. When we first see Rey traversing the interior of the downed Star Destroyer, she's framed as an archaeologist exploring some crumbling old temple. The remnants of the war on Jakku are ruins-- at once capturing the imagination of the current generation (Rey in her beaten-up pilot's helmet, the obelisks the Roman Empire carted off from Egypt mystifying the inhabitants of medieval Rome) and being recycled to meet the needs of the present (Rey living in an AT-AT, the entire scavenging economy, the casing stones of the Great Pyramid removed as materials for new reconstruction, Roman civil buildings becoming Christian churches).

How do posters who have done all of these really fascinating close analyses of the visuals and design sense of the prequels (that really have deepened my appreciation for them!) manage to be so completely obtuse about what could possibly be signified by a desert full of the crumbling monuments of Empire?

No-one is disputing that the ships are old and that Rey is exploring them. But here's the context:

-The opening text tells us that Leia is still an active general, so the ships obviously haven't been there long.
-The "Luke Skywalker has vanished!" text actually implies that things are taking place very soon after Return Of The Jedi. Like, the Empire fell, everyone celebrated, and then Luke vanished. No indication that he did anything in-between.
-The structures are all in remarkable shape, given that they'd fallen out of the sky.
-As you've pointed out, they've been swarmed by rapacious salvage teams - and not much has been taken.

It's that mixing of metaphors. You have a handful of images of Rey as 'explorer of ancient temples', but the rest of the imagery is of a dump full of recent cultural detritus. The slipshod nature of the salvage operation indicates that they've only started work recently, while another shot implies an old woman had been working there for 60+ years. In one scene, the sand literally comes to life and devours a ship in an instant. In another, we see a rather well-established religious community with little hut structures.

What you're missing is the overall point of these juxtapositions. Rey is just a garbageman, but we're to fancy her an explorer. The 'ancient temples' are just piles of Star Wars merch, from what might as well be just a few years ago. Everything is fairly consistent in that regard: the 'ancientness' is metaphorical/subjective while the 'recentness' is literal/objective. Rey feels like she's been there a thousand years, but she hasn't. (We'll eventually learn that she's only lived on Jakku for a decade or so).

The 'ancient temple' stuff is overtly a romanticization of a very banal situation. It's a pile of garbage, and we don't find out how long the garbage has been there until Han shows up.

Good design would be to show the crashed ships being converted into settlements, so that the salvagers would not have to travel great distances and live in shoddy tents. You know, the kind of things that would actually take four decades to create. Or, you could take my earlier suggestion and make this Tatooine: Forty Years Later. Show specifically how much time has passed that way. Or begin the film by showing off a fully-developed New Republic.

Instead, it's frankly a combination of bad storytelling and bad design. We're obviously to laugh when these characters don't realize the 'garbage' is actually made up of great and holy relics - Star Destroyers and Millenium Falcons that touched us in the 1980s, but have since fallen from the public eye(???). It's like when they wheel out R2's corpse for us to... genuflect? The film relies on a 'deep', preexisting investment in Star Wars, and a ridiculous persecution fantasy where Star Wars is unpopular with the kids today. It relies on those things because it doesn't create that investment itself. It doesn't make a case for Star Wars being lame, before countering it.

Basic example: "Luke Skywalker has vanished." Ok, good for him? The film doesn't even establish why Luke is important in this context of this film, and that's partly because it doesn't effectively establish what the film's setting even is.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 16, 2016

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
If you boil down SMG senpai's post there basically the movie coulda been good if there wasn't all this fart sniffing about "oh, well, how will we make a star Wars movie in 2015, will people with smartphones get the Star Wars" when actually if they'd had the decency to just show some guys in costumes without a camera filter I swear to God you'd have a Star Wars. Like make the costumes and don't loving 'hedge' them by rubbing dirt on em.

e: All the marketing for this movie emphasizes dirt and sand, and grit. It's all about "this is Star Wars plus dirt, dudes." Don't even front you know that's what it is, if we were honest and some guy was like "what's the difference between A New Hope and TFA" you'd be like, "in TFA dudes sweat and get grass stains on their pants and poo poo." It's texture.

Harime Nui fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 16, 2016

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
the whole movie screams fear. even down to the fact that they have to rewrite the second movie to make the protagonists roles bigger

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Harime Nui posted:

If you boil down SMG senpai's post there basically the movie coulda been good if there wasn't all this fart sniffing about "oh, well, how will we make a star Wars movie in 2015, will people with smartphones get the Star Wars" when actually if they'd had the decency to just show some guys in costumes without a camera filter I swear to God you'd have a Star Wars. Like make the costumes and don't loving 'hedge' them by rubbing dirt on em.

Precisely.

As a contrast, look at The Phantom Menace. George Lucas quickly and unambiguously establishes that the film takes place in a time of peace, decades before the events of A New Hope. It's Episode 1, and young Obiwan is doing routine diplomatic work for a sophisticated Republic. The Trade Federation are unmistakably different from the Empire (the Empire doesn't even exist yet) and we get a good look at Amidala in her decadent regal/spiritual garb. She's clearly not a Rebel.

More importantly, all the meta-commentary about "what Star Wars means today" is left entirely unspoken and implicit. Lucas never tells you what you're supposed to think about these slick, establishment Jedi and their bullying tactics. Figure it out.

Also, note that the opening text doesn't say "Luke Skywalker's mom is in danger. Aliens are threatening Luke Skywalker's mom!"

This is because Luke Skywalker isn't in the movie.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

The creators of the seventh Star Wars movie expected people to be familiar with the backstory of Star Wars? How shocking and unforgivable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Precisely.

As a contrast, look at The Phantom Menace. George Lucas quickly and unambiguously establishes that the film takes place in a time of peace, decades before the events of A New Hope. It's Episode 1, and young Obiwan is doing routine diplomatic work for a sophisticated Republic. The Trade Federation are unmistakably different from the Empire (the Empire doesn't even exist yet) and we get a good look at Amidala in her decadent regal/spiritual garb. She's clearly not a Rebel.

More importantly, all the meta-commentary about "what Star Wars means today" is left entirely unspoken and implicit. Lucas never tells you what you're supposed to think about these slick, establishment Jedi and their bullying tactics. Figure it out.

Also, note that the opening text doesn't say "Luke Skywalker's mom is in danger. Aliens are threatening Luke Skywalker's mom!"

This is because Luke Skywalker isn't in the movie.

Luke Skywalker is in TFA though. :downs:

• Locked thread