Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonoAus posted:

I only ask because I often see cyclists on the road riding parallel to purpose built bike paths. Not really an attack, was just wondering why.

I don't know what it's like anywhere else, but a road near me has had a a "bike path" near and sort of parallel to it for years, which I run on sometimes. The path turns to gravel or completely disappears for 50-150m at a time, meanders through a park at one point, and connects nowhere to nowhere, with one end stopping a couple of km before a shopping center and the other a couple of km before a train station.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I agree with some of that, we've probably pushed Australia's environment beyond what it can handle sustainably as it is, let alone with a doubling of the population or whatever we're on track for over the next 50 years.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

gay picnic defence posted:

I agree with some of that, we've probably pushed Australia's environment beyond what it can handle sustainably as it is, let alone with a doubling of the population or whatever we're on track for over the next 50 years.

only because of urban sprawl, which he specifically calls out as being what Aussies obviously want. More medium density living would be sustainable if we can keep up with water and public transport, and other urban planning, demands

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

haetbus posted:

I don't know, I often see cyclists on the road over Commonwealth Avenue Bridge, even though there is a path both sides of the bridge and signage directs cyclists to use the path across the bridge. Sure, most cyclists use the path, but a noticeable minority don't.

Given the amount of pedestrian traffic on those particular paths (and how narrow they actually are), the average cyclist on them would have a greater speed differential and more obstacles on the path than they would present to cars on the road.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
#Essential Poll Outsourcing administration of Medicare to private sector: Approve 17 Disapprove 64 #auspol

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Solemn Sloth posted:

#Essential Poll Outsourcing administration of Medicare to private sector: Approve 17 Disapprove 64 #auspol
We'll put that in the 'maybe' pile then.

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?
Oh great, the statin woman on catalyst is trying to even further destroy her and the show's credibility with wifi cancer claims.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Cartoon posted:

We'll put that in the 'maybe' pile then.

This is really getting silly. No wonder they're trying the numbers on a DD.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Is anybody here in the North Sydney Greens?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Is anybody here in the North Sydney Greens?

I assume you mean Lower North Shore? I basically know everyone active in it.

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

MonoAus posted:

Also re: helmest chat, I have a question for cyclists. Once bicycle infrastructure has been built, why do so many cyclists still choose to ride on the street? (Maybe this is a Perth thing only).

I get off on making cars slow down for five seconds before they overtake me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Probably them, yeah. My girlfriend's dad is giving a talk to them about electoral reform stuff next meeting, was just curious if anybody here was going to be there.

E: Lee Rhiannon is on the Joint Standing Committee for that too right?

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!

Jumpingmanjim posted:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/markdistefano/what-positive-gear#.jbvqW2yWzG

Buzzfeed doing better reporting than the AFR, even if they are just facebook stalking:

I already made a complaint with them about this and told them I'd also contact the Australian Press Council, but what's the point? I mean really?

It really shits me that they can write articles without some really important disclosure.

ASIC v Danny Bro fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Feb 16, 2016

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

starkebn posted:

only because of urban sprawl, which he specifically calls out as being what Aussies obviously want. More medium density living would be sustainable if we can keep up with water and public transport, and other urban planning, demands

Why should people give up something they want like a backyard you can keep a pet in just so we can cram more people in?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The Turnbull government would seize a rare, absolute majority in the Senate if it finalises a deal on voting reform and calls a double-dissolution election, according to two experts on the preference system.
The Greens - who are negotiating with the Coalition to end "preference harvesting" among minor parties - would likely lose two of its current 10 senators if it agrees to support reforms and both houses of Parliament are dissolved.
A review of voting data by Graham Askey and Peter Breen, veteran players in minor party preference negotiations, forecasts the Coalition would win 40 Senate seats - a gain of seven - while Labor would remain anchored at 25 under the proposed changes being sought by the government.

Nick Xenophon, who is pushing to abolish the group voting ticket - the mechanism that allows minor parties to transform a tiny primary vote into seats in the Senate through preference deals - would be the biggest winner, with two new senators joining him in Parliament, according to their projections.
Overall, the Coalition would have a two seat majority and would not have to negotiate with any other parties. The last time that happened, the Howard government passed the controversial Workchoices laws before being punted from office in 2007.
Malcolm Turnbull's retiring deputy Warren Truss had advocated a snap double dissolution election to clear out a problematic crossbench but the Prime Minister has given little sign that he is considering anything other than going full term.

Mr Askey, who previously negotiated preferences for the HEMP Party but has recently joined the fledgling Renewable Energy Party, founded by Mr Breen, said the Greens had not properly considered the ramifications of a double dissolution once voting reforms are passed.
"They haven't done their due diligence. They are walking into this with their eyes wide shut," he said.
"I can't see why Lee Rhiannon [who is leading voting reform negotiations for the Greens] said she would sign up to a deal unless she is the Coalition's Manchurian candidate."

Mr Askey and Mr Breen's review forecasts the Greens would lose one of their two senators in both Western Australia and South Australia in a double dissolution. That would mean the loss of either Scott Ludlam or Rachel Siewert from WA and either Sarah Hanson-Young or Robert Simms in SA, depending on who gets first spot on the Greens ticket.

Senator Rhiannon did not dispute their findings but said her party was committed to voting reform over "electoral advantage".
The Greens are due to meet Mr Cormann again next week amid gathering speculation the government wants to have legislation introduced within weeks.
"The Greens have had a long-standing position in favour of Senate voting reform. In a democracy the outcome of an election should reflect the will of the voters. The current system doesn't do that," Senator Rhiannon said.
"Our work for Senate voting reform is not about trying to secure any electoral advantage. We don't expect it to make much difference to our results.
The end of the group voting ticket - most likely in favour of allowing voters to choose six preferences 'above the line' - would likely wipe out the entire existing crossbench with the exception of Senator Xenophon and lock out minor parties into the future.
Mr Askey said 70 per cent of micro parties are currently right-leaning and have generally taken votes from the Coalition rather than parties of the left.

Once reforms are passed, he said, the Turnbull government and future Coalition governments would have the option of trimming the Greens back to 8 by calling a double dissolution.
"Under any system of proportional preferential voting the Greens will always find it harder to elect two senators at a double dissolution than to elect one at a normal half Senate election," Mr Askey said.
The Greens generally poll about 0.8 of a senate quota in each state but in a double dissolution their second candidate is left with 0.37 and unlikely to get elected on preferences.
Mr Breen, who is a former adviser to Ricky Muir, met with Greens leader Richard Di Natale in Melbourne a fortnight ago to explain the potential negatives for the party.

Projected Senate composition in a double dissolution election
NSW Coalition 7, ALP 4, Greens 1
Vic Coalition 6, ALP 4, Greens 2
Qld Coalition 7, ALP 4, Greens 1
WA Coalition 7, ALP 4, Greens 1
Tas Coalition 6, ALP 4, Greens 2
SA Coalition 5, ALP 3, Greens 1, Xenophon 3
ACT Coalition 1, ALP 1
NT Coalition 1, ALP 1
Total: Coalition 40, ALP 25, Greens 8, Xenophon 3

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Why should people give up something they want like a backyard you can keep a pet in just so we can cram more people in?

Because the more land we save for future generations, the better?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Weird that a guy who makes his money from shuffling micro party preferences would release a report scaring the greens away from abolishing micro party preferencing

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Ket posted:

Because the more land we save for future generations, the better?

What if the population in these future generations is roughly the same as the population now?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

What if the population in these future generations is roughly the same as the population now?

I agree, Australia for Australians.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Then we can enjoy more parks, less hellish suburbia, and more efficient public transport.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
A double coalition majority though is a future I fear the most. any opposition to bullshit is meaningless.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Solemn Sloth posted:

Weird that a guy who makes his money from shuffling micro party preferences would release a report scaring the greens away from abolishing micro party preferencing

It surprised me too.

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles

Quantum Mechanic posted:

That'd be Oscar's branch ~local group~, yeah?

sick of Applebees
Nov 7, 2008

Then it's still a win?

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

I only agree with it in this way: People who move to Australia become Australians and take on the characteristics of Australians and adopt our culture. gently caress that! Who in their right mind wants to be around even more Australians?

Pet ownership is tantamount to slavery, you should think about that and probably change your opinion, which is dumb, and wrong.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Tim Minchin did a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtHOmforqxk

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

I only agree with it in this way: People who move to Australia become Australians and take on the characteristics of Australians and adopt our culture. gently caress that! Who in their right mind wants to be around even more Australians?

Pet ownership is tantamount to slavery, you should think about that and probably change your opinion, which is dumb, and wrong.

Hey, if pets don't exist, they can't suffer

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Just stack the backyards on top of eachother. UN habitats does recommend taking into account existing community lifestyles when building sustainably.

Or; share the backyard (like, a big backyard everyone backs onto, with a forest in the middle). Every one must release their pet into the wild and earn it's love.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE
Spent a bit of time in hospital without much in the way of the luxury of the internet. Come back to find out that Tim Minchin did a great song but everything else still sucks. poo poo, even the topic of Tim's song is pretty loving poo poo.

What I've learned this morning is that NZ is also putting up their hand to take the 267 refugees, the Fin are proving that the sort of people who read the fine really don't want the world to be a better place, they would rather be on top of a pile of poo poo than anywhere else

which has been changed to

and despite that lovely post by Anidav about how a DD would play out it appears that it may have been factually incorrect. How does someone who gets paid to provide this information have gotten it so wrong? :iiam: :itwaspoo:

https://twitter.com/AntonyGreenABC/status/699562223350345729

AgentF
May 11, 2009
What is the basis for the Greens' commitment to senate reform?

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
So this happened

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-16/crowdfunding-campaign-to-send-ballarat-survivors-to-rome/7174664
https://www.gofundme.com/sendballarattorome

quote:

The surviviors of Ballarat and District child abuse feel the face-to-face hearing was important for healing and understanding.

With the news that Cardinal Pell could not come here, it seems appropriate to get the survivors to Rome to sit in front of Pell as he gives evidence.

BlitzkriegOfColour posted:

Pet ownership is tantamount to slavery.

Is it the word tantamount or the word slavery you don't get.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
World population isn't going to stop going up, people need to live somewhere. Closed borders will have to go the way of the white Australia policy.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
It's okay, global warming means more lebensraum in antarctica

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

AgentF posted:

The current system has some obvious issues and can be manipulated.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

:can:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

AgentF posted:

The current system allows politicians to be elected due to preference flows despite earning a tiny percentage of the actual vote. Sometimes that means good people like Ricky Muir get elected purely by accident, but the system itself is pretty poo poo and undemocratic. The greens decided that the ends do not justify the means.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

$92,294 of $55k funded

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-17/call-to-swap-rego-fees-for-user-pays-road-system/7175434

quote:

Infrastructure Australia report: Scrap vehicle registration fees and fuel excise in exchange for charging for road use

Vehicle registration fees and fuel excise charges could be abolished to make way for a user-pays road system if the Federal Government adopts the recommendations of a landmark infrastructure report.

The Infrastructure Australia report recommended charging drivers for using roads as a way of reducing congestion and helping fund major projects.

The report included nearly 80 recommendations which could boost the economy by an estimated $40 billion and leave the average household about $3,000 a year better off.

The report recommended a public inquiry, possibly led by the Productivity Commission or Infrastructure Australia, into the existing funding system for roads and the development of a user-pays model for motorists.

Introducing such a model "will require the removal of familiar taxes and charges such as excise on fuel and registration fees", the report said.

"The existing approach to charging for road use is not well understood by users," it said.

"Many users see roads as free, or at least free at the point of use.

"Fuel excise is charged at the fuel pump, but is not disaggregated from the per-litre cost, nor displayed on the fuel docket in the same way as the GST.

"Together, these factors further the misconception that roads are free and create public perceptions that reform is about new taxes rather than fixing the current flawed charging system."

Report calls for revival of Melbourne's dumped East West Link

Infrastructure Australia identified 93 priority projects across the country, including new metro rail systems in major cities, but it warned current spending levels were insufficient to meet those needs.

One of the priority projects was Melbourne's dumped East West Link road project.

The report found the east-west corridor to the north of Melbourne's CBD is one of the city's major congestion challenges.

"The audit found that this corridor had the highest 2011 road congestion delay cost in Melbourne, with a delay cost of $73 million," it said.

"This is expected to worsen by 2031, with delay cost increasing to $144 million."

The Andrews Government scrapped the East West Link after it was elected in 2014 at a cost of more than $1 billion.

Victorian Treasurer Tim Pallas said the State Government would "build the infrastructure Victorians voted for".

"Now that IA has identified a large list of projects that Victorians did in fact vote for, that are supported by business cases, we'll be proceeding with those and not the dud East West Link," he said.

"The business case produced by the previous government makes it clear that the East West road failed to deliver the traffic solutions to that east-west congestion."

But the Victorian Opposition's treasury spokesman Michael O'Brien said the report showed the Andrews Government was making a mistake.

"Infrastructure Australia is clearly saying the East West Link is a top priority," he said.

"It's needed now, and Mr Andrews should swallow his pride, apologise to Victorians for the money he's wasted, and put East West Link back on the table."

Other high priority initiatives include the WestConnex project from Sydney's M4 to M5, stage 2 of the Gold Coast light rail project and the Forrestfield Airport Rail Link in Perth.

Make drivers pay for the roads they use, tracked how? What put a toll both at the end of every street? The fuel excise is a way of making you pay for the driving you do that is relatively simple to implement. Without details it seems pretty dumb. Anyone read the report?

EvilElmo
May 10, 2009

AgentF posted:

Because they want to scoop up the extra senate seat that would normally go to some nut like Lambo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Amoeba102 posted:

Make drivers pay for the roads they use, tracked how? What put a toll both at the end of every street? The fuel excise is a way of making you pay for the driving you do that is relatively simple to implement. Without details it seems pretty dumb. Anyone read the report?

Not that specific report (I'm skimming through now), but replacing fuel excise with congestion pricing is a pretty standard suggestion. The general idea isn't to put tolls everywhere but in areas like city CBDs where you want to reduce traffic. It also has the benefit of accounting for hybrid or petrol-free cars.

E: There's a recommendation to start tracking heavy vehicles (via satellite etc) and charging them based on road usage, with the argument being that lots of these trucks are already tracked, that one truck causes more road damage than a thousand cars, and that successful similar schemes have been implemented elsewhere.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 17, 2016

• Locked thread