Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

adamantium|wang posted:

Nail polish remover works a treat for this.

Just make sure it doesn't have Acetone in it, as it will melt the plastic (at least, that's what I've heard).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Try biostrip - it's the only thing I'll use for stripping plastic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK2jGRbeL0Q

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Moola posted:

were all going to die eventually

could be next year

could be tomorrow

death is certain my friends

Nonsense! Just because every living thing in history has eventually died, doesn't make it certain. It is statistically highly likely, but not certain!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Fathis Munk posted:

Also Fairy Power is a much better stripper name than Brown Dettol imo.

wow racist much?

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

quote:

This is really unfortunate.

Gone are the days when our hobby was generally considered for the mature, where W40K carried strong adult themes. Gone is any remnant where painting Citadel miniatures could be considered an art.

Coming are the days where our hobby will be viewed as grown men playing with children's toys. The intentions of purchase and ownership questioned and scrutinized... Men thought of as child predators before hobby enthusiasts while standing in the checkout line.

Citadel miniatures are now; officially; and hence forth... Children's toys. Congratulations to you GW, you are now; officially, and hence forth... A toy company. Your mantra of being "not a game company" is officially true and undeniable more then ever now.

Selling W40K kits to kids will not increase sales, it will not yield regular customers, it will not start kids on a path to greater "hobby" endeavors - it's the complete wrong demographic and to limited of exposure. Kids are far too fickle; have far too short of attention spans and generally only want what they see on TV - We're all royally fethed if GW starts making commercials that air on during children's cartoons.

This move is by far the most short sighted, ill conceived attempt at increasing sales that I've seen GW try. Mark my word this day... No one will benefit from this.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

so mature

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Gone are the days when our hobby was generally considered for the mature, where W40K carried strong adult themes. Gone is any remnant where painting Citadel miniatures could be considered an art.

Coming are the days where our hobby will be viewed as grown men playing with children's toys. The intentions of purchase and ownership questioned and scrutinized... Men thought of as child predators before hobby enthusiasts while standing in the checkout line.

Citadel miniatures are now; officially; and hence forth... Children's toys. Congratulations to you GW, you are now; officially, and hence forth... A toy company. Your mantra of being "not a game company" is officially true and undeniable more then ever now.

Selling W40K kits to kids will not increase sales, it will not yield regular customers, it will not start kids on a path to greater "hobby" endeavors - it's the complete wrong demographic and to limited of exposure. Kids are far too fickle; have far too short of attention spans and generally only want what they see on TV - We're all royally fethed if GW starts making commercials that air on during children's cartoons.

This move is by far the most short sighted, ill conceived attempt at increasing sales that I've seen GW try. Mark my word this day... No one will benefit from this.

This is real good considering that GW has openly stated that their business plan is just a revolving door of teenage boys dumping their disposable income.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Dakka?

For reals though, I think this is the single smartest move GW's made in a long, long time. Plastic 30k and the Start Collecting boxes have also been great ideas too; I just hope they can pull their heads out of their asses RE: Black Library since I actually want to read novels and not limited edition of 1000 hardback novellas and ebooks.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
There is something hilarious about them being weird grognards at their investors when they say the T word and then actually going to sell their poo poo in toy shops, though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
If any wargames company has the fame and cash to make the leap over to regular-rear end stores it would be GW.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I for one kind of like snapfits, so hopefully this will put more of them on ebay and on relatively cheap.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The only thing that makes me upset is that this means no new wartrakks for a while.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
The only thing stopping you from building beautiful custom wartrakks is yourself, man.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

The Sex Cannon posted:

The only thing stopping you from building beautiful custom wartrakks is yourself, man.

Yeah, with Deffkoptas coming back out in those same snapfit boxes you can even get a decent base for one right there. Personally I hope those Wartrakks come out and are cheap as balls on eBay so I can go ahead and convert the poo poo out of them with all my leftover Trukk/Kan bits.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

It's like a frosting golem

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I like the little, pink frosting nurgling. :3:

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's Mr Blobby, you philistines!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Fondant is the servant of the righteous.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

goatface posted:

It's Mr Blobby, you philistines!
Yeah Americans can mock the paintjob but they will never appreciate the deep-seated national shame and revulsion this evokes in us.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jul 12, 2019

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

So this is what being triggered feels like.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Not gonna lie, when I saw it pop up on my Facebook feed I felt a jolt of childhood trauma race up my spine.

loving Yanks don't know how lucky they were to be spared from Mr Blobby.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

And now the song is in my head, you motherfucker.

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
He's one part of the empire that us colonials could've done with out.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Speak for yourself. I'm a filthy colonial but I never heard of Mr Blobby until well into adulthood.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
I'm Colonial and I have no idea what that is

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
I regret my curiosity getting better of me and finding out.
What the poo poo IS that.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUpVLUjs28M

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

To get away from the blobby horror, this ebay auction which is truly something.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SHIPS-FREE-OOP-40K-BATTLE-WORN-MUTATED-CHAOS-LUCIUS-WARHOUND-TITAN-700-In-USA-/281930799246

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"

I hope they don't stay after dark and eat food they find there...

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 17, 2016

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Cat Face Joe posted:

This is real good considering that GW has openly stated that their business plan is just a revolving door of teenage boys dumping their disposable income.

Or how I and basically everyone I know who still plays miniatures games started when we were all ~12 or 13. Hell, I'm pretty sure I started by buying some WarZone books, paints and minis with money I got from my 11th birthday. Those WarZone paints were actually pretty OK for cheap acrylics, very similar to the old I-Kore paints.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I'm down with cheap ork kits because I can use them as Marauders in Warpath or motivate people to play Gorkamorka. That's probably the Gorkamorka wartrakk anyway which was a fine little kit for what it was. I'm just disappointed it's not a cheap trukk or ork bike.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

MasterSlowPoke posted:

you know you didn't post in the death threadright?

SiKboy posted:

And now the song is in my head, you motherfucker.

Post man pat.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

MasterSlowPoke posted:

From what I gather they are pitching at model shops as much as anything to go for the airfix crowd.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Ugleb posted:

From what I gather they are pitching at model shops as much as anything to go for the airfix crowd.

It's actually fascinating since I got to see Lithuanian grogs freaking out IRL over hams being sold in common stores. I thought that grog backlash was usually contained to... wherever you people gets those quotes from.

I don't really get it: if anyone asks, I explain miniatures as "toy soldiers", then, if they persist, "expensive toy soldiers with complicated rules."

And I'm the kind of guy who gets extremely passionate about plasticmanz.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Is that really a thing in other countries? GW only being sold in GW stores? Where I grew up (New Zealand) you could find GW stuff quite easily in model/hobby shops and in one of the big toy shop chains.

E: I guess it helps that when I was playing (10-15 years ago) there were only two GW stores in the entire country.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
There used to be a Toy shop in town that was pretty much the only place around here to buy GW stuff until an actual Games Workshop store opened up down the road. In fact about 30 years ago when I was a kid I bought my first plastic toxic lead citadel model it was from a toy shop and probably would be free from buying toxic lead plastic toys as a grown man (as well as a lot richer with the money saved).

It's probably a sound move from GW as they'll reach a younger audience again that may otherwise not be exposed to Warhammer and will provide more options for their few remaining fans to buy stuff.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

JcDent posted:

It's actually fascinating since I got to see Lithuanian grogs freaking out IRL over hams being sold in common stores. I thought that grog backlash was usually contained to... wherever you people gets those quotes from.

I don't really get it: if anyone asks, I explain miniatures as "toy soldiers", then, if they persist, "expensive toy soldiers with complicated rules."

And I'm the kind of guy who gets extremely passionate about plasticmanz.

I say fightmans and the response is much the same.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Is that really a thing in other countries? GW only being sold in GW stores? Where I grew up (New Zealand) you could find GW stuff quite easily in model/hobby shops and in one of the big toy shop chains.

E: I guess it helps that when I was playing (10-15 years ago) there were only two GW stores in the entire country.

We have a hobby shop that sells them. It would make sense to sell them in toystores, too, because I don't imagine an Action Man or a bigger Lego set being much cheaper.

My formative hams experience was when I was but I freshman and I saw a 5 man box of Assault Marines that cost 80% of my weekly living allowance.

spectralent posted:

I say fightmans and the response is much the same.

I feel like it's a good shorthand, even if it doesn't show the hobby in the best light.

JcDent fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

In the UK GW expanded their retail chain aggressively through the 90's so just about any vaguely large town had a local GW store which was the default place to buy. GW then became increasingly awkward towards their independent stockists to the point where GW products are mostly unavailable on the high street outside of GW themselves.

GW are now waking up to the realisation that they have no brand presence outside of their stores unless you are already a wargamer or have played a videogame and somehow realised that it is based on little plastic mans and also maybe care about that enough to go seek them out.