Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I think CG SS is a much much much much better made game than LL. It's got a lot more functions, lets you interact with your characters, the lives let you enjoy the songs in 2D and 3D, as opposed to SIF, which has no animation at all, skip story mode and communications, the loading screens have though cute comics, etc. etc. This is probably cause SIF has been around for a really long time, whereas SS is still recent. Also I think that just maybe, Bandai Namco has more resources and experience with games. Just a guess though.

The room in particular is hella detailed. Characters have different ways of walking, react differently when you pick them up (and holy poo poo I love picking them up, it's so cute!!!!!!), interact with the environment, and so on. And you can even listen to the songs, which is something SIF doesn't let you do unless you just like, stand there wait a Live selected and do nothing except tap the screen every few seconds to prevent your phone from turning off the screen.

But for someone who's unable to understand the language, a lot of the cool stuff is sorta lost on me or a hassle that requires me to look at a guide, which sorta impedes my ability to get into the game. Also, the loading and constant downloading whenever I want to do something, anything, can get grating.

LL SIF is simple, and right now, I'm probably more inclined towards simplicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ
this guy who's streaming is good

i remember going into someone elses room to like them back, and i heard this really cute voice talk but i had hit the home screen button already so i didn't get to see who it was.

Skwee fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Feb 16, 2016

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

the lives let you enjoy the songs in 2D and 3D, as opposed to SIF, which has no animation at all,

It still legitimately surprises me this is the case, I don't know if they were deliberately targeting low-end devices or they didn't want to invest too much into the game at the time.

Also, the loading and constant downloading whenever I want to do something, anything, can get grating.

Hmm, it shouldn't download very often, although I'm not sure whether it auto-purges stuff if your device is low on space. I know I've had it redownload the artwork for idols I haven't looked at in a while so it seems to have some kind of system like that.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Skwee posted:

i remember going into someone elses room to like them back, and i heard this really cute voice talk but i had hit the home screen button already so i didn't get to see who it was.

If you did actually like them you can check your like history from the top-right Like button in your room (second tab), then you can go back there.

Skwee
Apr 29, 2010

たべる つくる
つくる たべる
たべる つくる
ふたり ドゥビドゥバ

godamn i can't even comprehend what's happening most of the time in this stream and he just gets 1 great and the rest perfect

Also i thought his chat reader was a real person for a while. TTS is p. nice nowadays. Or the fact that it's a different language makes it more difficult for me to tell whether it's a human voice or not. It sounds super nerdy too

Skwee fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Feb 16, 2016

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Also probably worth mentioning SS has a ton of reused art assets from the mobage so they didn't have to put in too much initial work for that.

Skwee posted:

Also i thought his chat reader was a real person for a while. TTS is p. nice nowadays. Or the fact that it's a different language makes it more difficult for me to tell whether it's a human voice or not. It sounds super nerdy too

TTS works a lot better in Japanese where things are pronounced exactly as they are written, though it's still generally off enough that you can tell it's a robot, but yeah, that's partly down to familiarity.

Well, I got 800 tokens, I guess I'll get one Rina and put the rest into star jewels.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Polsy posted:

It still legitimately surprises me this is the case, I don't know if they were deliberately targeting low-end devices or they didn't want to invest too much into the game at the time.

Well, it was like 2 ~ 3 years ago. Phones are a lot more powerful now I think. Also I dunno if the format of the game lends itself to modelling. Having 9 squares around the screen takes up a lot more space than just having a line down at the bottom. It would be really hard to see, I think.

Polsy posted:

Hmm, it shouldn't download very often, although I'm not sure whether it auto-purges stuff if your device is low on space. I know I've had it redownload the artwork for idols I haven't looked at in a while so it seems to have some kind of system like that.

I've only had the game for like 2 days so a lot's still new for me I guess.

And I only have like, 1 to 2 GB left on my phone, so that might be a factor if auto-purging is a thing.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Jesus Christ guys 56 posts

SIF is kinda showing its age now, I'd also say, with Starlight Stage and GF Note having cool features alongside the rhythm gameplay.
I sat most of the Caravan out, only aimed to (and got) one Rina~ssu, but oh man I'm ready for Anya and Koume.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

graybook posted:

Jesus Christ guys 56 posts

SIF is kinda showing its age now, I'd also say, with Starlight Stage and GF Note having cool features alongside the rhythm gameplay.
I sat most of the Caravan out, only aimed to (and got) one Rina~ssu, but oh man I'm ready for Anya and Koume.

This is something that happens when I start shitposting.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Well, it was like 2 ~ 3 years ago. Phones are a lot more powerful now I think. Also I dunno if the format of the game lends itself to modelling. Having 9 squares around the screen takes up a lot more space than just having a line down at the bottom. It would be really hard to see, I think.

It works well enough for GF Note (at least, with only one idol schoolgirl) but yeah, agreed about phone power in general, I was mostly thinking about the animation on console rhythm games which wouldn't have that issue.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Polsy posted:

It works well enough for GF Note (at least, with only one idol schoolgirl) but yeah, agreed about phone power in general, I was mostly thinking about the animation on console rhythm games which wouldn't have that issue.

Didn't the LL Vita games do really badly. I was under the impression that they were considered a failure.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

Polsy posted:

I can see it removing artwork for idols you don't have in your storage or something, but it certainly doesn't delete stuff if you're low on space. Take it from me, a guy with like 300mb free on his phone.

SS isn't too bad about constantly downloading stuff (once you've played every song once, at least), except for doing things in the room. I guess it figures out what you're getting from the box from the server, rather than locally or something. Still less annoying than girlfriend's constant checkins. Speaking of which:

Am I the only one annoyed by the perspective nonsense? In SIF, the note's origin and target seem to be on the same plane, but in GF they sorta project upwards towards the tap targets. Except they're also above the tap targets, because the notes being underneath would be stupid. I wouldn't really mind, except timing-wise, it's a bit annoying when two nearly-overlapping notes aren't actually as close as they seem by the time they get to the targets. It just reminds me of those annoying perspective gimmicks you could turn on in stepmania and the like.

Futaba Anzu posted:

this guy is actually live streaming right now and holy poo poo i just saw some insane tech where he hit the three simul sliders on orange sapphire by swiping with his left hand followed by his right then back to his left in one fluid motion. This changes everything!

A cool thing about the sliders is that they do not care where your hand started. If you have, say:

pre:

< _
   <

_ >
> 
coming down, after you slide right, you could just leave your finger there until you need to slide back left. It won't care. Won't really care much if you swiped all the way across the screen for a two-note slide either, so long as there wasn't any other note nearby. Same as how the holds end pretty significantly before the line actually runs down. That's the bit that screws me for SIF, because I keep thinking I can drop the holds way sooner than I can there. The whole thing is weirdly forgiving of you doing weird poo poo, up to a point. Like, if a hold's end is paired with another tap that's adjacent, you can just pop your thumb over for that pretty reliably. Two notes over is something of a stretch, though.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Didn't the LL Vita games do really badly. I was under the impression that they were considered a failure.

Not something I really followed but I wouldn't be surprised, at that price point they don't seem like they're deep enough (particularly individually) that people would buy them other than serious fans (much like Shiny Festa).

I mean, when I say console games I'm thinking of Project Diva since that's what I've played most recently where it's all full-motion vocaloid model and moving background, or even the simple animation in Rhythm Heaven, and it feels weird to go from that to just a static screen.

I don't know about School Idol Paradise but Shiny Festa cheated somewhat by just playing a fixed video file behind the rhythm game, it's completely non-dynamic, no 3D-model-processing required.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
I've never really given that much thought to the notes traveling in GF Note, to be honest. I'm sure it'll bother me onward though.
One tiny nitpick I have, though, is the expert/very hard notemap for Believe Myself, because there's a pair of notes that are visually coded as single taps which occur near the start of the song, but they're basically a double tap, and I always wonder if I need to change my timing on tapping one of them ever so slightly.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Zenostein posted:

I can see it removing artwork for idols you don't have in your storage or something, but it certainly doesn't delete stuff if you're low on space. Take it from me, a guy with like 300mb free on his phone.

SS isn't too bad about constantly downloading stuff (once you've played every song once, at least), except for doing things in the room. I guess it figures out what you're getting from the box from the server, rather than locally or something. Still less annoying than girlfriend's constant checkins.

Ah, I most recently noticed it on an idol I'd sold off and then picked back up because I was missing a communication so maybe they get (potentially) dropped if you don't have them any more. GF Note seems a lot more keen on (visibly) downloading stuff, yeah.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

I think part of the problem with School Idol Paradise is that the song selection in each version was extremely small, like less than ten unique songs per. But goddamn if Shangri-La Shower isn't my second favorite song to come out of μ's.

book
Nov 29, 2014
Ugh, if Anya is the ranking idol for Orgel, it's going to be a sleepless couple of weeks. Speaking of Anya, stop asking where the drat kotatsu is when you're standing right next to it.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Ugh... I'm gonna have to try and rank in for this event for sure. Ranking in suuuuucks

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I'm so tempted to 10roll for SSR Nao, but I must resist, for the inevitable limited Kaede SSR.

book
Nov 29, 2014

taser rates posted:

I'm so tempted to 10roll for SSR Nao, but I must resist, for the inevitable limited Kaede SSR.

I have a good feeling about the March limited, so I've been saving up. Going to be sitting on 4 10 rolls by that point.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
One of the missions give you this chick handing you a Green Ticket. What the hell is that?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

book posted:

I have a good feeling about the March limited, so I've been saving up. Going to be sitting on 4 10 rolls by that point.

Yea, it seems like a good guess based on the gacha release pattern to date, I have like 9k stored up myself.

One of the missions give you this chick handing you a Green Ticket. What the hell is that?

Most likely it's a trainer ticket, you use it for exp when training idols.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/ErikoMatsui/status/699478994362568704

(she says 'thanks for waiting')

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

The new Nao SSR is quite cute. I might use a 10 Roll, though I've been doing 60 jewel rolls everyday for a while now and gotten nothing good.

Also, I guess I'm better at this game with the sound off? I just FC'd 3 songs in a row. All songs I have less than 2 plays on.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Also, I'm sitting on a huge stack of jewels. Over 10k now.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy poo poo I want to buy every single piece of furniture in the game so these girls can interact with them.

Also are there any special furniture that I should buy first.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

Holy poo poo I want to buy every single piece of furniture in the game so these girls can interact with them.

Probably the Valentine's Day stuff if it's still up. That's limited. Otherwise, a bed.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I bought a chocolate macaroon couch.

... A chocolate. Macaroon. Couch.

Also a table of food and party poppers. Only Rin has interacted with it so far. She used the poppers twice.

I added the mushroom rocker into my crew and it may have been a mistake. She keeps saying kinoko. I don't want any mushrooms in my idol office!!!!!

I'll buy the Valentine stuff then. Thanks for the heads up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

taser rates posted:

Yea, it seems like a good guess based on the gacha release pattern to date, I have like 9k stored up myself.

Most likely it's a trainer ticket, you use it for exp when training idols.

Oh yeah thanks for this, I didn't see the Trainers initially then I realized they had a separate tab in the Training section.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

All of these darkened six if you haven't already, you get free stuff/bonuses out of them. They're also upgradeable (limited by level)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Polsy posted:

All of these darkened six if you haven't already, you get free stuff/bonuses out of them. They're also upgradeable (limited by level)

Okaybari.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I bought a chocolate macaroon couch.

... A chocolate. Macaroon. Couch.

Also a table of food and party poppers. Only Rin has interacted with it so far. She used the poppers twice.

I added the mushroom rocker into my crew and it may have been a mistake. She keeps saying kinoko. I don't want any mushrooms in my idol office!!!!!

I'll buy the Valentine stuff then. Thanks for the heads up.

You will soon learn to love the power of kinoko.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Mushrooms are something I will never love.

It's hosed up that the 3D version of mushroom rocker has her in a frilly blue dress and not rocker gear.

Making a really good case for 2D here, Bamco.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

Oh, this too (left), it seems to have disappeared from my buy list for some reason. I mean it's unique so I can't buy it twice anyway, but so is all that other stuff.

book
Nov 29, 2014

Mushrooms are something I will never love.

It's hosed up that the 3D version of mushroom rocker has her in a frilly blue dress and not rocker gear.

Making a really good case for 2D here, Bamco.

I keep it on 2D to save battery and reduce distractions/lag during songs. I did play with 3d for the longest time cause I thought it was cool as poo poo. Also, the valentine's table where the idols make chocolate sounds lewd.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

This is why I leave it on 2D these days, everyone looks unique instead of all wearing The Cinderella Girls Dress, I've pretty much had my fill of that.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

One day I'll enact my plan to record the 2D MVs of all the songs with the correct idols, they have a certain charm.

(just to be clear, I'm talking about the good 2D option here, not the bad one)

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I really like all the features SS has, but everything is so sloooow. Loading screens to go from menu to menu, loading screens to buy every piece of furniture (and no option to buy multiple things at a time), brief downloads for every third action I do. Most individual things don't really take that long, but it adds up, and I'm used to the snappy responses of SIF. I love the room, but redesigning it takes longer than redesigning a room in Animal Crossing.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Also, it eats my battery, which is just an annoyance when I'm stationary but makes me loathe to play it when I'm out and about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait a minute... that's not a bed, that's a treadmill!!!!

Polsy posted:

Oh, this too (left), it seems to have disappeared from my buy list for some reason. I mean it's unique so I can't buy it twice anyway, but so is all that other stuff.

I can't seem to find this. Guess I'll look for it again later, I have little gold left anyways.