Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Welp:

http://designtaxi.com/news/380705/Adobe-s-Awesome-New-App-Lets-You-Design-Custom-Typefaces-Quickly-And-Easily/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

You mean Adobe made an app which creates only capitals using parameters they pre-designed. As a comment in the video of Adobe: this is Power Tools & Eyeycandy (for photoshop) all over, it is stale. This idea has even been done better before (at least since the birth of digital type) and dumped since the idea just doesn't work or at least doesn't lead to usable typography since the changeable parameters are never the ones you want.

Caps are easy, any student with a good interest into type and skills with coding will create a similar application and ditch it since they will run in problems (with the construction of lower case, the limited degree of parameters, and so on) Even so, there are better projects trying to 'solve' type generating out there. (see prototypo.)

What do I do if I want a different stencil? Or round corners compared with sharp ones? Why do you think no one uses photoshop filters? Well, here is the type-design equivalent.

Arthus fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Oct 15, 2015

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
It's beta, so maybe that will answer some of your concerns.

It's Adobe, so

See: Quark.

Arthus
Nov 11, 2011

SansUnicorn

Ferrule posted:

It's beta, so maybe that will answer some of your concerns.

It's Adobe, so

See: Quark.

Way before there were systems which applied effects/gave tools for adjustments. Some even have been picked up by Adobe itself some decennia ago. (great showcase) of Ares Chameleon) "It's Adobe" isn't a seal of quality, we all know what happened to every Macromedia product. (crap did stay crap while under the adobe seal)

Still, I'll applaud more interest into type design, it's just that these programs sadly still don't give you want you would like. As they have done over the past 40? years at least.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
What I meant by "it's Adobe" is less a seal of approval and more of an industry-standard system of programs. What you linked might be better, but as the kickstart campaign explains, it's two guys in a basement.

Adobe has the funds, tech-resources, and built-in user base to make it happen.

All of these things have their flaws, sure. And should I use one I'd still tweak things after the fact. But it's a helluva start and makes things easier.*

*and also makes things harder, since every idiot can now be a "graphic designer" because they have this or Photoshop or what have you. "My nephew has a computer and he can make this poster for me much cheaper."

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
"Adobe" as a brand doesn't mean poo poo anymore. There was a brief window of time when they invested in their core software, but now they are selling a bunch of bullshit cloud services and don't have a good reason to maintain anything because they have subscribers by the short hairs.

simplyhorribul
Jul 30, 2013

simplyhorribul fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Oct 16, 2015

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
I'm sure it's going to be something stupidly obvious, but identifont and whatthefont aren't giving me poo poo

src

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
It's heavily based on Goudy but there are some subtle differences and I'm having no luck myself. If you're gonna re-create it for something, start at Goudy I guess.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
Thanks, it's not for anything in particular, I just like it :shobon:

I got linked to The Nation and thought I'd struck gold just now. It's not Mercury Display (sharper cusps, no ball on the 6, slightly smaller x-height) but it's pretty dang close.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
Anybody know of a good match for the Seinfeld diner exterior sign?

Such a basic font, but I've scoured my collection and the internet without result

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

rear end cobra posted:

Anybody know of a good match for the Seinfeld diner exterior sign?

Made me think of Outage.

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth

spider wisdom posted:

Made me think of Outage.

That definitely does the job, thank you very much!

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Are any of you aware of a close match to the woefully non-digitized typeface Benedictine?

:swoon:

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Palatino?

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Just use Helvetica, duuuuhhhhh

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

AT NIGHT I GET SO LONELY I JERK IT FURIOUSLY TO THE SIMS
Does anyone know what this font is?

Constantia and Caslon Pro are similar, but not the same font.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Kmlkmljkl posted:

Does anyone know what this font is?

Constantia and Caslon Pro are similar, but not the same font.

What the Font says it's Karmina Bold

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

Fayez Butts posted:

What the Font says it's Karmina Bold

Thanks.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
hello nerds. just wanted to recommend typesample if you're like me and a) sick of what the font for webfonts and b) sick of crawling through css to figure out a font.

https://www.typesample.com

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
bbb-Regular looks fabulous

https://www.typesample.com/samples/bbb_uj74x_2x

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

Does anyone have an idea what typeface this might be?

Whatthefont returns nothing. There is a possibility that it's custom made by the sign maker, it appears to be a pretty old sign. Recommendations for something similar are also welcome, especially if it has those 'twists'.

.random
May 7, 2007

Clearly not the same and not nearly as formal, but it's got twists?
http://www.dafont.com/twister.font

Only registered members can see post attachments!

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

I disapprove of what you say, and I will defend your death because you have no right to say it!

.random posted:

Clearly not the same and not nearly as formal, but it's got twists?
http://www.dafont.com/twister.font

Uh, that one nowhere near, but thanks for the effort. A friend took that photo and she wants to make a font out of it, so I just wanted to be thorough, and after Whatthefont and GISing individual characters I thought I'd check with type goons as a last resort.

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

burexas.irom posted:

Does anyone have an idea what typeface this might be?

Whatever it is, it's flipping beautiful. Good luck to her, and based on those characters alone I'd say it's worth the effort in preserving.

I tried a quick search this morning w/o my contacts in, but she might start here for basic dual/inline structures:

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/sodesign/at-move-herengracht/

escheresk and macula do similar twisty things but are totally diff -- might help a little. if I had to guess, that looks like a late 60s storefront and could very well be custom. I immediately thought Germany when I saw it, too, for some reason, but it's clearly eastern euro, maybe. wonder if someone on fonts in use would know.

e: let us know if you find anything!

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 19, 2016

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

Wow I think I'm in love with Macula.

Thanks, and you're right, it's on the main street in Zagreb, Croatia, smack in the middle of eastern Europe. :)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

spider wisdom posted:

hello nerds. just wanted to recommend typesample if you're like me and a) sick of what the font for webfonts and b) sick of crawling through css to figure out a font.

https://www.typesample.com

I used this

to find this

Exclamation Marx posted:

I'm sure it's going to be something stupidly obvious, but identifont and whatthefont aren't giving me poo poo

src

:waycool:

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Close!

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/vasava-fonts/matchPoint/

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

As close as we're going to get, I think. Color me impressed!

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I'm sick of Suitcase for font management. Anything out there that would let you quickly organize and compare typefaces without being piece of poo poo software?

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

I use Nexus Font and it's okay.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

KinkyJohn posted:

I'm sick of Suitcase for font management. Anything out there that would let you quickly organize and compare typefaces without being piece of poo poo software?

FontExplorer has been my tool of choice ever since I ditched Suitcase.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

kefkafloyd posted:

FontExplorer has been my tool of choice ever since I ditched Suitcase.

That's what I use. But I upgraded to El Capitan a while ago and it screwed up some fonts in Safari and the like. I think the two are fighting each other.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

klim.co.nz

Kmlkmljkl
Sep 21, 2014

what's the font?
whatthefont isn't helping (probably because the text is small)

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit
^ There are a buttload of CRT-era fonts out there with tons of little quirks, like that r (assuming you're asking for the main option/body copy in white). I might give a search a shot later on.

Does anyone happen to use SkyFonts? It's exactly what I need, but it doesn't seem to keep its database of Google fonts updated. Kinda sucks for a program that flaunts its ability to stay up to date.

Related: the new Google Fonts is loving greatttt. I'm gonna need to use Rakkas on something.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

There are a couple fonts that I really like, but don't want to pay $50 each for:

and

Are there any similar fonts that the thread could recommend?

burexas.irom
Oct 29, 2007

Dominican on dafont is kinda similar to Americanus.

http://www.dafont.com/dominican.font

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

spider wisdom posted:

^ There are a buttload of CRT-era fonts out there with tons of little quirks, like that r (assuming you're asking for the main option/body copy in white). I might give a search a shot later on.

Does anyone happen to use SkyFonts? It's exactly what I need, but it doesn't seem to keep its database of Google fonts updated. Kinda sucks for a program that flaunts its ability to stay up to date.

Related: the new Google Fonts is loving greatttt. I'm gonna need to use Rakkas on something.

I've never actually looked at Google Fonts before and the first thing that caught my eye was Arvo and it's so ugly it made me mad. THANKS, SPIDER WISDOM!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spider wisdom
Nov 4, 2011

og data bandit

Jerry Cotton posted:

I've never actually looked at Google Fonts before and the first thing that caught my eye was Arvo and it's so ugly it made me mad. THANKS, SPIDER WISDOM!

Oh, there are maybe 2 dozen Googly fonts that are good and okay to use. I had a similar reaction to the newer Space Mono (by Colophon, no less). It's so quirky and cute and I already have all the boners for monospace fonts...but that a professional studio would post a font with a kerning table so demonstrably bad is unnerving. SP ACE is printed all over their NASA-y type specimen.

Arvo isn't the worst offender, but yeah.

e: my developer friend turned me on to Lab Mono by this guy. Open source monospace close to Apercu Mono, a favorite of mine, but with a better j and better balanced tittles.

spider wisdom fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 15, 2016