Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KildarX posted:

It is me. I am the one Bicep Slicing people who are countering my legitimate arm bar through hand holding. :smugbert:

Real talk though, anyone know a better counter to people just holding the grip then a slicer?

I never ever slice because it's ungentlemanly.

Time for me to have fun explaining this in prose (it's a stat today so I have time to waste :backtowork: )

I always control the targeted arm with the foot-side arm when armbarring. I do so by trapping it with a cross-body rnc-ish grip grabbing my own gi or shoulder, which is a habit I developed from judo (so if I throw someone right-handed I have uke's right sleeve in my left hand, which I pass off into my right arm, pinned against my sternum - uke's head will be under my left leg).

If uke gets the arms connected, I'll use my free head-side (left) hand to grab uke's wrist and rotate it toward uke's head while digging my foot-side (right) foot into the crook of the defending arm. That breaks the grip even against very large and very strong people, with no rude slicing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeber
Nov 29, 2007
I usually re-watch Firas' armbar finishers whenever I need a refresher or find myself getting stuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGzO6NEicUw

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

origami posted:

Oh ok so you were practicing your escape and he was practicing his submission and....you got submitted. And the guy is a dick because...

because..... he can probably get my hands separated by putting his forearm on my forearm to break my grip which doesnt hurt me the next day but instead goes straight for the bicep (which does hurt me the next day) Are you honestly that dense or just makes you feel super cool being a passive aggressive idiot online. I swear some of you guys argue the most loving retarded poo poo sometimes.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
I land more bicep crushes against armbar defense than I do actual armbars, by a significant margin. You can post with your free hand, then step over and triangle your legs for a really nasty one, it's kind of hard to explain but it's a cool sub.

e: here's awesome sambo guy Vlad Koulikov showing what I'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqdxZnF7QFc

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 16, 2016

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

The bicep slicer to break the clasp is an absolute ace way to finish the armbar. That being said I can see how it may be seen as "ungentlemanly." I kind of want someone to make a DVD of those kinds of finishes. Things like the bicep slicer to break the grip, fist to the neck to finish a triangle, wrist lock from omo plata, etc.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I land more bicep slicers againts armbar defense than I do actually armbars, by a significant margin. You can post with your free hand, then step over and triangle your legs for a really nasty one, it's kind of hard to explain but it's a cool sub.

This is probably the most painful bicep slicer of all.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Nierbo posted:

because..... he can probably get my hands separated by putting his forearm on my forearm to break my grip which doesnt hurt me the next day but instead goes straight for the bicep (which does hurt me the next day) Are you honestly that dense or just makes you feel super cool being a passive aggressive idiot online. I swear some of you guys argue the most loving retarded poo poo sometimes.

You brought it up, nobody else here seems to agree with you and on top of that I would say you're being passive aggressive by complaining about it on an online forum.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

ch3cooh posted:

The bicep slicer to break the clasp is an absolute ace way to finish the armbar. That being said I can see how it may be seen as "ungentlemanly." I kind of want someone to make a DVD of those kinds of finishes. Things like the bicep slicer to break the grip, fist to the neck to finish a triangle, wrist lock from omo plata, etc.

My favorite scumbag method to beat armbar defense is when you're going for the arm from knee on belly, wiggling the point of your elbow down into their ribs.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

My favorite scumbag method to beat armbar defense is when you're going for the arm from knee on belly, wiggling the point of your elbow down into their ribs.

I do this from the kimura trap setup when I'm postured and have their head and shoulder pinned with my legs.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

origami posted:

I do this from the kimura trap setup when I'm postured and have their head and shoulder pinned with my legs.

This too except also go right into a head scissors choke :getin:

e: kind of like this handsome and talented man who I've never met before :ninja:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmSMIBJWvY8

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Feb 16, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This too except also go right into a head scissors choke :getin:

Haha I need to start doing this more. I'm always focused on trying to break their lapel grip while using the least amount of real estate possible.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Liver shot KO's are the worst because you feel every single second of it. The last time I got KO'd with a liver shot my vision went completely white and I came to cursing a blue streak at my instructor in a weak squeaking voice as the rest of the class looked on aghast.

There are some Stick grappling techniques that are unfuckingbelievably painful if you ever have the misfortune to get caught in them. Imagine a guillotine choke but it's a rattan stick across your windpipe/jaw instead of a nice, fleshy arm. That poo poo sucks.

Edit: oh wait here's one. The Dog Bros are certifiable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZfbZRda3r0

Oh, and one time I think my hip popped out of it's socket and every vertebrae in my back popped after I threw a leg kick and had my legs kicked out from under me as I was pulling back the kick. I somehow sat on my own knee? My poo poo is still all hosed from that one.

I can't wait to start training again.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Nierbo posted:

No dude. The bicep slicer is not something that just hurts so that you will release your grip, it's a legit submission that will break your arm and/or dislocate your elbow when applied properly. If you're getting caught in it and not tapping to the point where you're getting your arm hurt, that is 100% on you. This isn't like a training partner being a jerk by jamming his elbow into your neck in side control or whatever, you might as well be saying your training partner shouldn't be going for armbars because if you get caught in them and don't tap your arm will get hurt. It makes no sense.

If you don't encounter these subs in training and learn to respect them, you'll turn into one of those people who gets horrifically mangled in competition because they thought something was a "pain submission" and they didn't need to tap. I see this poo poo all the time with ankle locks.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Feb 16, 2016

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
What's up with the asshats in BJJ class that grab your uniform 0-o ? Like the sleeves and stuff.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

You sound like when two kids are playing Tekken and one kid starts yelling that it isn't fair because you can't use throws or counters or something because he thinks they're cheap, or when you're playing Starcraft and the other guy says "no rush 15 min, bro". Like you're being defeated by something and it annoys you so you start imposing an imagined set of rules on the encounter and then getting mad when other people don't follow the fiction you created.

You know that bicep slicers will make you elbow explode laterally, right? Your forearm will be hanging like a piece of spaghetti until they reconstruct your elbow with rods and plates.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
They sound really rad to me at this point. I have never done one.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Nierbo posted:

Speaking of arguing the most loving retarded poo poo, thats not what passive aggressive actually means. If youre being passive aggressive you make yourself the target of your own negative behaviors, if you make it clear you have a problem with what someone is saying/doing its not passive aggression, no matter how oblique youre being about it. A classic example of passive aggression would actually be refusing to tap out to a pain-based submission and letting yourself get hurt because you have a problem with people using those submissions

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Novum posted:

They sound really rad to me at this point. I have never done one.

If you're talking about Bicep Slicers there's a really cool and easy one you can do from Spider Guard if you lasso your leg around one of their arms and bait them into attempting a pass.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 16, 2016

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

Went to a seminar over the weekend. I'm all set to cripple everyone I know. Now that'd be a dick move. Seriously though, Garry teaches a really good seminar, highly recommended if he does one near you.

KildarX posted:

If you're talking about Bicep Slicers there's a really cool and easy one you can do from Spider Guard if you lasso your leg around one of their arms and bait them into attempting a pass.

I personally have found this one to actually be pretty hard. I don't use it, it's just that when people try it on me they don't get enough torque to finish the slicer and I end up freeing my arm and getting the pass. I assume they must be getting some details wrong.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Sprecherscrow posted:

I personally have found this one to actually be pretty hard. I don't use it, it's just that when people try it on me they don't get enough torque to finish the slicer and I end up freeing my arm and getting the pass. I assume they must be getting some details wrong.

This one sorta.
Shown by a blue, but same principle. You get a sweep, and finish it from top.

edit: Found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhXWlW8nqxg

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Feb 16, 2016

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.

origami posted:

What's with guys that don't tap when they know they're getting injured

Gotta win at training.

Sprecherscrow posted:

Went to a seminar over the weekend. I'm all set to cripple everyone I know. Now that'd be a dick move. Seriously though, Garry teaches a really good seminar, highly recommended if he does one near you.

What did he cover? I was thinking about going to that but talked myself out of it as I have zero experience attacking legs/defending leg locks.

WayneCampbell fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 16, 2016

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

KildarX posted:

This one sorta.
Shown by a blue, but same principle. You get a sweep, and finish it from top.

edit: Found it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhXWlW8nqxg

Just a reminder that IBJJF doesn't allow bicep slicers below brown. However, if you let go of the sleeve in the transition (giving your opponent the opportunity to pull his arm out) and he leaves his arm then game on.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

WayneCampbell posted:

Gotta win at training.

What did he cover? I was thinking about going to that but talked myself out of it as I have zero experience attacking legs/defending leg locks.

Two solid hours of heel hooks followed by an hour and half of passes. Went into a lot of detail on every position he taught so it really didn't matter that I didn't have much heel hook experience beforehand.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Sprecherscrow posted:

Two solid hours of heel hooks followed by an hour and half of passes. Went into a lot of detail on every position he taught so it really didn't matter that I didn't have much heel hook experience beforehand.

But...why pass when you can just drop into a heel hook?

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009

ch3cooh posted:

But...why pass when you can just drop into a heel hook?

This is not something he covered.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ch3cooh posted:

Just a reminder that IBJJF doesn't allow bicep slicers below brown. However, if you let go of the sleeve in the transition (giving your opponent the opportunity to pull his arm out) and he leaves his arm then game on.

This is kinda why I call them "ungentlemanly" in casual rolling. The slicer doen't strike me as a particularly interesting sub. They are mostly a counter to basic armbar defense techniques, and nobody who needs to defend them in competition will be needing to practice basic armbar defense. And on top of that, getting used to being put into a bicep slicer is not useful for self defense.

Likewise, they're not useful as an attack for self defense applications or for competition practice, either. For a novice to go for a bicep slicer means that the novice's time is not going towards practicing the armbar. If that grappler can't finish an armbar and just goes for the slicer, he or she is avoiding practicing on the more fundamental technique with more applications, and that's practice that the novice needs. When it comes down to it, the technique is just causing pain for the sake of "winning" in practice.

Nobody is learning anything - not the person slicing, nor the person being sliced. It's like when the 200 lb muscleman squeezes the 140 lb skinnyman's jaw in practice with a RNC until the skinnyman taps as to avoid getting a broken jaw. Really, for learning it's more important that the muscleman work to get that arm under the jaw, if for no other reason that in competition someone his size might not tap to that kind of crank so easily. Sure, you can win a gold medal in competition by squeezing someone's face that way, but nuscleman will only get better if he learns to finish the sub with technique.

I suppose if someone finds bicep slicers interesting they can probably just be used in a catch-and-release kind of way. Someone's defending an armbar? Take the slicer position, and then release it to try to finish the armbar. Lord knows that I find certain subs to be really interesting, and some of them are illegal as gently caress for every level of competition I can be thinking about right now (I have a boner for heel hooks and calf cranks, especially). I just observe when I'm in a position where I could grab one, and then I continue on with legal positions in my roll.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
Almost nothing in bjj is useful for self defense

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

This is kinda why I call them "ungentlemanly" in casual rolling. The slicer doen't strike me as a particularly interesting sub. They are mostly a counter to basic armbar defense techniques, and nobody who needs to defend them in competition will be needing to practice basic armbar defense.

This is dumb and there are a lot of competitive formats where they are legal at all levels. Not everyone who competes does so exclusively in IBJJF events.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
I feel like cranking a slicer would be a dick move, but applying one slowly (especially if someone decent is defending the arm-bar like their life depends on it) is a-ok in my book. I mean sometimes you just wanna do less work. :effort: I do mainly no-gi though, so maybe its a bigger deal in gi?

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
wait until that group of drunks get a load of my xguard

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

david carmichael posted:

Someone doesn't know how to do a proper technical stand-up. :smug:

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

david carmichael posted:

wait until that group of drunks get a load of my xguard

otoh if I'm ever chained to a radiator or dungeon floor those motherfuckers better not step a leg in range

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

fatherdog posted:

This is dumb and there are a lot of competitive formats where they are legal at all levels. Not everyone who competes does so exclusively in IBJJF events.

Actual question and not disputing this - how common are competitions in which slicers are allowed at lower skill levels?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CommonShore posted:

This is kinda why I call them "ungentlemanly" in casual rolling. The slicer doen't strike me as a particularly interesting sub. They are mostly a counter to basic armbar defense techniques, and nobody who needs to defend them in competition will be needing to practice basic armbar defense. And on top of that, getting used to being put into a bicep slicer is not useful for self defense.

Likewise, they're not useful as an attack for self defense applications or for competition practice, either. For a novice to go for a bicep slicer means that the novice's time is not going towards practicing the armbar. If that grappler can't finish an armbar and just goes for the slicer, he or she is avoiding practicing on the more fundamental technique with more applications, and that's practice that the novice needs. When it comes down to it, the technique is just causing pain for the sake of "winning" in practice.

Nobody is learning anything - not the person slicing, nor the person being sliced. It's like when the 200 lb muscleman squeezes the 140 lb skinnyman's jaw in practice with a RNC until the skinnyman taps as to avoid getting a broken jaw. Really, for learning it's more important that the muscleman work to get that arm under the jaw, if for no other reason that in competition someone his size might not tap to that kind of crank so easily. Sure, you can win a gold medal in competition by squeezing someone's face that way, but nuscleman will only get better if he learns to finish the sub with technique.

I suppose if someone finds bicep slicers interesting they can probably just be used in a catch-and-release kind of way. Someone's defending an armbar? Take the slicer position, and then release it to try to finish the armbar. Lord knows that I find certain subs to be really interesting, and some of them are illegal as gently caress for every level of competition I can be thinking about right now (I have a boner for heel hooks and calf cranks, especially). I just observe when I'm in a position where I could grab one, and then I continue on with legal positions in my roll.

The idea that slicers aren't technical or done by advanced grapplers is such a load of horseshit.

It's even a faulty line of thinking with things like facelocks, really -- sure, they are something that can be "forced" in certain circumstances, but they are also possible to do with technique. Having a strength advantage allows you to be less technical with any kind of sub, that's just the nature of the sport.

CommonShore posted:

Actual question and not disputing this - how common are competitions in which slicers are allowed at lower skill levels?

Literally every competition I've ever been to has allowed bicep slicers at all levels.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 16, 2016

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The idea that slicers aren't technical or done by advanced grapplers is such a load of horseshit.

said grapplers are obviously 'ungentlemanly' however

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

CommonShore posted:

Pretty much every no-gi competition there is, other than the IBJJF. Grappler's Quest, Naga, ADCC, etc, etc.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014

david carmichael posted:

My purpose in life is to play de la riva when attacked by a guy wearing a heavy leather jacket.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Literally every competition I've ever been to has allowed bicep slicers at all levels.

Sorry if I gave that impression of my position. I thought that I made it clearer that I'm talking about the lower level guy who cranks one in lieu of finding a way to separate the hands in an arm bar, which is where the slicer discussion began.

The video you posted of the Russian guy was cool and impressive.

Re: competition, the pure grappling ones I've been to have largely used ibjjf, and in judo that could get you tournament dqed for "intent to injure" if the ref recognized it

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

origami posted:

said grapplers are obviously 'ungentlemanly' however

Anyone whining about bicep slicers being ungentlemanly has probably never been shinlocked. Now that is an evil sub.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I *hate* when people submit me with X instead of submitting me with Y. Those treacherous dogs. One submission is honorable and other submissions are dishonorable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Every lovely regional tournament I've ever been in has allowed them at all levels (adult anyway, no clue what the kids rules are)