Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Yes, I'm sure no one ever considered stealing money from a bank, or driving off with a whole ATM, before oil prices got low... :rolleyes:

File footage: Albertans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBb2dDWEFSA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
https://twitter.com/cbcalerts/status/699629750650802176

Lol, gently caress this stupid country.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
This is a high class crack cocaine operation

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ZShakespeare posted:

This is a high class crack cocaine operation

"No more cheap crackhouses for me!"

"...may I pre-warm sir's crackpipe?"

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

Housing prices up 17% over last year... My god.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

my morning jackass posted:

Housing prices up 17% over last year... My god.

Like I said, even the most insane housing bull couldn't have predicted this outcome when this thread was started 3 years ago. If the 'crash' ever does manifest... at best it'll roll us back to the already-inflated prices of three years ago.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lexicon posted:

Like I said, even the most insane housing bull couldn't have predicted this outcome when this thread was started 3 years ago. If the 'crash' ever does manifest... at best it'll roll us back to the already-inflated prices of three years ago.

How can you honestly put a figure on the bottom of the RE market? I'm curious how you are coming to the conclusion that we will only roll back to 2012/2013 prices.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

jm20 posted:

How can you honestly put a figure on the bottom of the RE market? I'm curious how you are coming to the conclusion that we will only roll back to 2012/2013 prices.

Yeah, I'm thinking more 2005 prices ,minimum.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
What was the average house price in Vancouver in 2005, out of curiosity?

I don't think it'll get that low, people here are too dumb. Maybe 2008.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

jm20 posted:

I'm not "putting a figure" on it, but it is a probability distribution that I'm attempting to see the shape of. I find the 2012/2013 pricing scenario shockingly unlikely, never mind anything less. This is housing we're talking about. The Feds will [even further] annihilate the currency if that's what's necessary to keep nominal housing values intact/rising.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My totally worthless housing bubble prediction:
House prices will finally hit some insane peak and then begin to drop, but not more than a few years worth of losses. At this point people go go buying crazy thinking "Now's the perfect time to buy! This is Vancouver, just like oil prices they can only go up in the long run!" and that will feed a little recovery and spawn a million articles about how the correction is over and we're back to the new normal. Prices will go up a tiny bit or stagnant, then some minor shock to the economy will send them down again. Woah prices are down, perfect time to buy! This is VANCOUVER after all, very desirable place to invest.

This cycle will go on for a long time averaging out stagnant prices or a small drop that doesn't keep pace with inflation. "Vancouver prices always go up" and "Vancouver is an extremely good place to buy" are just too deeply culturally ingrained in generations of idiot true-believer buyers.

Also during this time the city/region will get desperate for a solution to the pattern. Do we have too many barriers to rich chinese?? Have we taxed our developers to death? We need a new mayor! Someone needs to DO SOMETHING. The norm is 7% gains per year, this is intrinsic to the city of Vancouver, anything less must mean some sort of sabotage, corruption, or mismanagement.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
If we actually enforced realtor/developer and possibly lenders compliance with FINTRAC, and shared the details with the non residents country of origin we wouldn't have a bubble this high.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

jm20 posted:

If we actually enforced realtor/developer and possibly lenders compliance with FINTRAC, and shared the details with the non residents country of origin we wouldn't have a bubble this high.

SHUT UP YOU RACIST

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

I'm not "putting a figure" on it, but it is a probability distribution that I'm attempting to see the shape of. I find the 2012/2013 pricing scenario shockingly unlikely, never mind anything less. This is housing we're talking about. The Feds will [even further] annihilate the currency if that's what's necessary to keep nominal housing values intact/rising.

Maybe all levels of government will have an about-face, and come to believe that affordable and sane housing is more important than property values.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

leftist heap posted:

Maybe all levels of government will have an about-face, and come to believe that affordable and sane housing is more important than property values.

People are feeding and sheltering them selves based entirely around property values. It's like people putting all their money into investing into food companies then complaining the price of food is too high, no one has enough to eat, our kids are starving, but don't you loving do anything to lower my food equity otherwise I won't have any money to buy food when I retire!

By turning housing into an investment, the primary retirement investment for most people, we've created a situation that's impossible to solve without a bunch of ruined boomers or some sort of FULL COMMUNISM government housing system.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Ridiculously low interest rates shouldn't last forever though, and income is stagnant. Something has to give.

Edit: Also, underpaid and underemployed millenials will have a rough time buying real estate at all time high prices...

Freezer fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Feb 16, 2016

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

leftist heap posted:

Good luck with that one.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
not as long as the only loving way you can fund anything (like your post politics life and kickbacks) is through property tax.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The banks in polar bear land have started using a max loan cap of 5xAnnual income (500%) which seems to have slowed down the market despite an (again) lowered central interest rate to -0.5%. Around 10% of new mortgages are being denied. Of course, the banks are spinning the effectiveness of this measure to the maximum in media to avoid having the government come in and meddle in their mortgage fracking operation.

Could get interesting if we've reached the peak of available loans for the average Sven. Maybe all it would take to tip over is a rate hike for some external reason (the resource and metal sector is feeling the burn from Chinapocalypse but that might take awhile to play out and affect the greater economy).

Or things will just start right up again when the weather/daylight hours get better.

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 16, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Pimpmust posted:

The banks in polar bear land have started using a max loan cap of 5xAnnual income (500%) which seems to have slowed down the market despite an (again) lowered central interest rate to -0.5%. Around 10% of new mortgages are being denied. Of course, the banks are spinning the effectiveness of this measure to the maximum in media to avoid having the government come in and meddle in their mortgage fracking operation.

Only 10% of mortgage applications are for > 5x annual income (presumably gross)? Some kind of financial responsibility fairy tale there.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
What kind of amortization are they handing out that 5x annual income is affordable? My mortgage is 3x my annual income and it gets rough some months as-is.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Edit: wrong, nevermind.

Freezer fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Feb 16, 2016

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Freezer posted:

Edit: Also, underpaid and underemployed millenials will have a rough time buying real estate at all time high prices...

Since when has anyone ever given a poo poo about millenials? Especially when the Chinese have no problem with buying real estate at all time high prices...

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

McGavin posted:

Since when has anyone ever given a poo poo about millenials? Especially when the Chinese have no problem with buying real estate at all time high prices...

It's because millennials are lazy, back in 1950 I bought a 2 story house on a janitors salary, but kids just all want it handed to them these days.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.

Freezer posted:

For every 1% that average salary increased, you could see a corresponding 5% jump in house prices? sure, sounds really responsible and sustainable...

That's not what that says at all? The loan you could get would increase in size by 1%.

You make $100,000, they loan you $500,000.

You make $101,000, they loan you $505,000.

1% larger loan.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

DariusLikewise posted:

It's because millennials are lazy, back in 1950 I bought a 2 story house on a janitors salary, but kids just all want it handed to them these days.

Exactly! Lazy, entitled little shits. Now excuse me, I need to cash my CPP and OAS cheques.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

quote:

De svenska hushållens aggregerade skuldkvot (Dti, Debt-to-income), det vill säga deras totala skulder i relation till deras totala disponibla inkomster

The amount of money a household has left to spend and save after income tax is deducted.
For example, let's say your household's annual income is SEK 1 000 000 of wages, and you pay an income tax of 35% (it had in reality been considerably higher). In that case, your disposable income is SEK 650 000 per year.

quote:

Enligt Finansinspektionen har nästan 30 procent av de svenska bolånetagarna en skuldkvot på 450 procent eller mer av inkomsten
30% of households have 450% or more.

quote:

Högst skuldkvot har i dag hushåll i Stockholm, där den i genomsnitt var 482 procent förra året.
482% average DTI in our fair capitol.

Y is DTI (skuldkvot), X is % of their homes value that they owe (belåningsgrad). The total % of people that fall into each DTI bracket can be seen under "Totalt". I like the portion with 700%+, and this is from 2014.

http://www.riksbank.se/Documents/Rapporter/Ekonomiska_kommentarer/2015/rap_ek_kom_nr8_150602_sve.pdf

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Feb 16, 2016

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

the us collapse happened because people's mortgages started resetting to rates home owners couldn't afford. that isn't going to happen here until interest rates spike, and even then it'll take years before people start feeling the pain when they have to reup their mortgage

it's going to be a long, slow decline when foreign money dries up. vancouver might just become a town where it's totally normal to spend 60% of your net income on housing depending on how willing the banks are to underwrite

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

the talent deficit posted:

the us collapse happened because people's mortgages started resetting to rates home owners couldn't afford. that isn't going to happen here until interest rates spike, and even then it'll take years before people start feeling the pain when they have to reup their mortgage

it's going to be a long, slow decline when foreign money dries up. vancouver might just become a town where it's totally normal to spend 60% of your net income on housing depending on how willing the banks are to underwrite

60% of net to rent for professionals

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Freezer posted:

For every 1% that average salary increased, you could see a corresponding 5% jump in house prices? sure, sounds really responsible and sustainable...

What? A 1% increase in salary would raise house prices by 1%.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

Subjunctive posted:

What? A 1% increase in salary would raise house prices by 1%.

Yeah, I read that wrong. oops.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

jm20 posted:

60% of net to rent for professionals

yeah, poors have to live in surrey obviously

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
http://www.prestigeproperty.co.uk/property/171559/Farmhouse-Lot-46-France/

quote:

5 bedroom Farmhouse in Cahors, Midi-Pyrenees for sale with 1300000m2 of land
525,000 EUR 409,500 GBP 593,250 USD

13 hectares of glorious countryside with magnificent views in nearly every direction. Not only beautifully situated, the estate has its own all weather 9 hole, par 32 golf course, restaurant, gite and 4 chambres d'hotes. It is surrounded by woodland and pasture. Already a highly successful business popular with local and international clients alike. This is a unique business opportunity.
The features of this novel acquisition proposal include:

9 hole golf course (par 32) and driving range, practice green and fairway watering system. All of the tees and greens have been professionally constructed and fitted with US standard "fibergrass" system allowing all weather play (please see further info regarding Fibergrass). It should be noted that this is the only golf course for some 30km.
Barn, ideal for housing golf course maintenance equipment, mowers and machinery. It has a lower floor useful for further storage.
Situated within 10 minutes of all types of amenity and easily reached either by road, rail or air. Local markets abound and can be found on most days of the week, the best market in the are is on a Thursday attracting visitors from neighbouring counties. Airports at Bergerac and Toulouse are reached in approximately 1 hour and 1 hour 15 minutes respectively. Accounts are open to inspection upon signing a non-disclosure agreement.

gently caress it i'm moving to France, and I don't even like golf.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

i spent half a year in cahors and that place is overpriced

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

SpannerX posted:

Yeah, I'm thinking more 2005 prices ,minimum.

How do you do those analyses? I'm new to real-estate prognostication.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
Well generally you look at some chart of the historical price of whatever you want to predict and extend it into the future in a way that gives you the result you want and is aesthetically pleasing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

YeOldeButchere posted:

Well generally you look at some chart of the historical price of whatever you want to predict and extend it into the future in a way that gives you the result you want and is aesthetically pleasing.

poo poo, if I could do that I'd run a mutual fund.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

How do you do those analyses? I'm new to real-estate prognostication.

The linear regression equation is this:

Predicted Real Estate Price = B0 + B1.Wind.Direction + B2.Horse.poo poo + B3.Mother.In.Law + B4.Nice.Lady.at.the.Bank + B5.Tsur.Sommerville.Grants.From.Developers + B6.Priced.Out.Forever + B7.HAM

Remember to make Horse.poo poo a numerical variable in KGs, and HAM is in Canadian dollars not Renminbi.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

So what's a good way to short the real estate market, for those who are confident of utter collapse in the near term?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

Subjunctive posted:

So what's a good way to short the real estate market, for those who are confident of utter collapse in the near term?
There are ETFs specifically for shorting REITs and some real estate indices:
http://www.zacks.com/stock/news/104696/bet-against-real-estate-with-these-short-reit-etfs

I've no idea how the reverse/short ETFs work but that's one way.

Edit: Nah these are all US focused.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Feb 17, 2016