Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

jaegerx posted:

I work in Texas from home. If I'm sick it doesn't matter. My commute is either the 3 feet from bed to laptop or the 50 feet to my home office. I wear pajamas and a bathrobe for my attire and occasionally I'll put a shirt on if it's a video conference call. I'm also in the top 10% of my income bracket in city I live in.

I travel on the companies dime once a month which allows me to see other cities and sometimes countries.

Ask me anything. I won't answer though cause I'm too big living the good life.

#ihaveadream

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
What positions do you WFH people hold? Is it mainly management stuff or is that a reasonable goal for a server or network guy to have as well? How about offensive security/pentesting positions?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

crunk dork posted:

What positions do you WFH people hold? Is it mainly management stuff or is that a reasonable goal for a server or network guy to have as well? How about offensive security/pentesting positions?
We have people in the NOC who are able to work from home.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

crunk dork posted:

My last job I was "lead sysadmin" and was able to WFH 3-4 days a week. Honestly I could have done it full time but liked getting a little facetime with coworkers. I was often the last to learn about important news which is kind of a problem when you're a team lead. But that's down to individual team and company culture, I'm sure other places make it work. Most of the team was in the office every day so they just didn't have a culture of shooting the poo poo in Slack vs in person. Also sometimes I'd look up at the end of the day and realize I hadn't left the house in like 4 days and that felt kinda gross :shobon: Again, personal issue, though.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
My cousin is a SAP solution analyst for an international company, works from home 4 out of 5 days a week. He used to drive two hours in to work every day, then a truck tire jumped the median on a highway and crushed the back half of his car (which would have killed him had it landed 4 feet forward) and the company decided they don't really need him in the office to do his job.

So nearly get killed during your commute and your company may let you just stay home and not die!

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I work from home full time, and it's great but oh god I need to get out of the house the walls are closing in.

But I did shower today.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Started working from home today. Forgot a null modem cable. Ordered one off of Amazon, still not going into work. :smug:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

SubjectVerbObject posted:

I work from home full time, and it's great but oh god I need to get out of the house the walls are closing in.

But I did shower today.

As much as I'd like the opportunity to work from home when I feel like it, this post would be me if I worked from home fulltime

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

crunk dork posted:

I'm a security engineer for a consulting firm, so a lot of my work is done either at customer sites or remotely. It's still nice to get into the office every once in a while to catch up with people and get free food; I usually go in once or twice a week.

e: I also find that I spend more money eating out because as mentioned above, you just want to get out of the house some times.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

What's a good resume service since resume2interviews is bad?

SubjectVerbObject
Jul 27, 2009
I work in telecom, which is a great field for WFH, because so many telecom products exist to support WFH. So I am a support engineer, and my customer's support engineers work from home part of the time at least, and since we all WFH we have dogs, and we all spend time talking about our dogs.

I spend too much time talking to the dog though, but that's another story.

To be sure, I have been doing this for 4 years, and the job came along at the exact right time such that I could see my son off to school, and avoid having to replace a car that was getting old, and avoid the horrible traffic, but I live is a bedroom community that has nothing in it, so I am really having to push myself to get out of the house and drive somewhere to do stuff.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

The Fool posted:

I wouldn't say they're bad. Just overpriced. They certainly write a good resume (although they need a little hand-holding if you're not easily pigeonholed into one of the generic IT career paths).

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

KillHour posted:

I wouldn't say they're bad. Just overpriced. They certainly write a good resume (although they need a little hand-holding if you're not easily pigeonholed into one of the generic IT career paths).

Apparently Jason sold the company and outsourced. They kept his templates/assets but I heard the people working for R2I now don't know poo poo. $150 is easily worth it to me for a good resume service though - If you get hired half a day earlier the thing pays for itself.

The big thing I learned from him was to be as specific as possible. How many tickets, how many people, exactly what software, etc.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

The Fool posted:

It's rough starting out in IT because you don't have a ton of extra money to blow on a resume, but judging by some of the awful resumes I've seen in these threads, it might still be a good investment.

I'm pretty sure that there are colleges out there doing resume workshops based on the non-rifftrax version of this video: http://www.rifftrax.com/get-that-job

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Honestly, there needs to be a national initiative to encourage WFH as much as possible. Give tax breaks or something to companies. It would have a huge environmental impact removing a chunk of cars from the road daily. Even if it was only one day a week.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

bull3964 posted:

Honestly, there needs to be a national initiative to encourage WFH as much as possible. Give tax breaks or something to companies. It would have a huge environmental impact removing a chunk of cars from the road daily. Even if it was only one day a week.

The issue main roadblock is the company leadership that needs to die/retire that are against this. Its just a concept that a lot of old folks can't get their mind around.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sickening posted:

The issue main roadblock is the company leadership that needs to die/retire that are against this. Its just a concept that a lot of old folks can't get their mind around.

I know, that's why I said we need to give incentives. They understand money well enough.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sickening posted:

I tried to suggest it at my last job and management was tentatively onboard with it. My coworkers were not.

What the gently caress is wrong with some people?

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I tried to suggest it at my last job and management was tentatively onboard with it. My coworkers were not.

What the gently caress is wrong with some people?

Did they not understand that it was optional or something? It's cool seeing that it isn't a huge deal because it's definitely something I'd like to have in my next position

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It sucks dealing with WFH coworkers who consider WFH a way to save on child care and are impossible to get ahold of. That's what managers and discipline are for, though.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I already have slack on my phone to respond to people while I clean and do poo poo not on my desktop. This is great!

Edit* Haha, there's a Android Asana app as well.

FlapYoJacks fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 16, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Team-oriented positions like helpdesk and MSP spots almost require you're in the same room as your coworkers. When the pace of the job is fast it's always easier to hive-mind through tickets. I tried working from home a few times at my MSP gig and there was a lot of stepping on toes, duplicating work, and not having reference knowledge of recurring issues. It sucked and was extremely unproductive.

At more experienced and specialized positions there is no reason to be in the office every day, and suburbs could see a huge resurgence boom from WFH incentives.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

ratbert90 posted:

I already have slack on my phone to respond to people while I clean and do poo poo not on my desktop. This is great!

Edit* Haha, there's a Android Asana app as well.

That's basically how I envisioned it. Chance to throw a load of laundry in or put the dishes up real quick during time when I'd just be reading the forums or doing something else nonproductive.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

crunk dork posted:

Did they not understand that it was optional or something? It's cool seeing that it isn't a huge deal because it's definitely something I'd like to have in my next position

Our setup was helpdesk/desktop support.
Our system was that each day, one person was the "round robin" and their job was to manage the voicemails, do tickets that could be solved in 30 seconds with a password reset, and assign tickets to the other technicians in a rotation.
My proposal was that we try, as an experiment, to put the designated "round robin" in a separate room for the day and try that for a month. If this didn't break anything, we could transition to just giving them the option to stay at home.
The neat part about this was that job required some attention, so you couldn't just sleep through your shift without being noticed because the tickets would start to pile up.

My guess is that they weren't quite getting the idea of object permanence yet so they felt like if a person wasn't in the office, they didn't exist.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

crunk dork posted:

That's basically how I envisioned it. Chance to throw a load of laundry in or put the dishes up real quick during time when I'd just be reading the forums or doing something else nonproductive.

That's what happened last time I worked from home! It's fantastic!

Also I don't feel bad at all, because the 5~ hours I'm actually doing work at home will be way more productive than when I am in the office.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Team-oriented positions like helpdesk and MSP spots almost require you're in the same room as your coworkers. When the pace of the job is fast it's always easier to hive-mind through tickets. I tried working from home a few times at my MSP gig and there was a lot of stepping on toes, duplicating work, and not having reference knowledge of recurring issues. It sucked and was extremely unproductive.

At more experienced and specialized positions there is no reason to be in the office every day, and suburbs could see a huge resurgence boom from WFH incentives.

I think a lot of this comes down to process, though. I could have probably effectively done WFH at the MSP I was at, because people were generally really good about putting in notes and updating cases. The problem was that our dispatcher tended to never assign cases to people working from home so the guys in the office would get totally swamped.

I also didn't really care for the entire WFH experience to be honest, but I can see how appealing it would be for people who have to drive to work.

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 16, 2016

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

crunk dork posted:

I'm a predominantly infrastructure/platform engineering guy working from home for a company 3,000 miles away. We have offsites a couple of times a year where the entire company gets together, though I haven't attended the last two because my daughter was just born before the last one. I mostly work with cloud technologies, but we're growing pretty rapidly so I'm probably going to be making an increasing number of trips to set up custom hardware in a remote datacenter until it gets to the point where we can document it for remote hands to do.

Overall, it's pretty nice. We work on a video chat product so pairing on problems tends to be pretty easy.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Feb 16, 2016

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I think I'd be okay with a 9/80 workweek and I know that a few of the bigger companies in downtown Houston use it since parking and traffic can be a pain

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Seems more like an organisational issue to me. Phone support type of work is a prime candidate for WFH provided you have your organisation and technology in order.
I'm no fan of measuring toilet breaks and that type of call center dictatorship poo poo but tickets and break/fix type of productivity can be easily measured regardless of where people are working from.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

crunk dork posted:

I'm a project manager/Embedded Linux engineer. I use splashtop to remote into my PC at work. Even though this is day one, I have worked from Home before.

I really think if you don't have a office at work and you are a programmer, you should be allowed to work from home if you want.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
That's awesome. I'll have a year of really solid experience as a net admin working with Cisco gear in a gigantic environment this November and hopefully I can translate that into something at a more flexible company. Anthem has a huge location downtown here (might be their HQ?) and they are going on a hiring frenzy for IT and security specifically since their breach a year or two ago. My buddy got on as a Windows server guy and they let him work remotely full time and he seems to be digging it

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

bull3964 posted:

Funny how you mention incentives.

Last place I worked (remember that gong story?) got some incentive from the city to have employees physically working in their offices. That's right... despite being a SAAS company, they wanted more butt in seat time rather than employees working remotely :shepicide:

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

air- posted:

Funny how you mention incentives.

Last place I worked (remember that gong story?) got some incentive from the city to have employees physically working in their offices. That's right... despite being a SAAS company, they wanted more butt in seat time rather than employees working remotely :shepicide:

People in a city spend money in the city, which gives money to the city.

People working at home don't give that lovely sales tax to the city, or revenue taxes from the businesses that cater to the people working in the city.

Basically, cities are hosed up.

high six
Feb 6, 2010
Could someone with PMs shoot Rafikki one for me? He mentioned a job lead in Denver a few days ago and I decided I am tired of this poo poo little podunk town and need to get out before I go and drive off a cliff or something.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

high six posted:

Could someone with PMs shoot Rafikki one for me? He mentioned a job lead in Denver a few days ago and I decided I am tired of this poo poo little podunk town and need to get out before I go and drive off a cliff or something.
Looks like this is the last open req right now: https://hire.jobvite.com/CompanyJobs/Careers.aspx?k=Job&c=qn79Vfwi&j=o6Om2fw2

E: we've been interviewing a lot of people lately so it might close soon, but positions open up pretty regularly. You can email me at rafikkisa@gmail.com if you want to discuss the position.

rafikki fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 16, 2016

high six
Feb 6, 2010

Thanks. Sent in an application. I'm the dude from North Carolina if you are one of the people who can see applications.

high six fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 16, 2016

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Welp. I think today is the day. Today I am going to ask for:

1> A promotion to work for the VP right next door instead of my manager who's across the country and I talk to maybe 4 times a month. He's a great dude, but proximity means I basically work for the VP anyway.
2> A title upgrade that will basically change the word Supervisor to Manager.
3> A five figure raise of about 25%.

My number of reports has increased by two thirds, my responsibilities have grown substantially beyond the initial scope of this job, and I have it on good authority I will still be lowest paid person working for this VP. I have the full support and endorsement from my current boss for all of this.

We'll see how it goes.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Chatops is a thing.
http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/16/everything-you-wanted-to-know-about-chatops-but-were-afraid-to-ask/

We have 2 main teams in 2 cities (Boston and Dallas) along with DBA's in a few other places.
If you do chatops well, it doesn't matter.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

crunk dork posted:

That's awesome. I'll have a year of really solid experience as a net admin working with Cisco gear in a gigantic environment this November and hopefully I can translate that into something at a more flexible company. Anthem has a huge location downtown here (might be their HQ?) and they are going on a hiring frenzy for IT and security specifically since their breach a year or two ago. My buddy got on as a Windows server guy and they let him work remotely full time and he seems to be digging it

Yeah most of the BlueCross teams work remotely. Downside: healthcare IT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm working from home today because my car is in the shop and I don't know how anyone can do this, it's so socially isolating and unproductive.