Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Tubesock Holocaust posted:

It's adorable how he thinks he actually has a chance with Dr. Mrs. The Monarch. If the Monarch doesn't put two and two together and whack the guy, I fully expect the Phantom Limb to kick his teeth in.

Given the look between him and Wide Wale at the end, I thought Copycat was just hitting on her as a pretense. If the whole thing was planned in advance, as it appears to have been, it probably wasn't just to get in Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's pants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

tarlibone posted:

Not only that, though. Let's face it: outside of knowing who he hates, how much he hates him, and how to best deploy this hatred in a way that prolongs the suffering of the target of his hate, how smart is the Monarch?

He's not good with money. He spent "a couple of mil" on robot caterpillars in an effort to arch Venture for money. He never got the money, and never seemed (or ever seems) bothered by the fact that he must be hemorrhaging money. Like, constantly. He's not terribly book-smart, as indicated by the fact that he's only barely got a layman's understanding of Lepidoptera. God only knows how he survived milkweed poisoning. But also, he's just... well, not bright. Not stupid, but not especially intelligent.

I mean, even down in the Blue Morpho cave, even after Twenty-One explains things to him, after all of that, he still doesn't put together the notion that his dad was the Blue Morpho. Now, maybe that's because of the shock involved in the discovery, but he also didn't riddle out the notion that he needed to attend that party with his wife, nor did he pick up on the idea that maybe showing up in costume wasn't a great idea.

Hell, he even activated his clearly flawed and untested Death's Head Panoply at the end of a battle, and oh yeah, he once thought that shooting Captain Sunshine with a concentrated simulation of the source of his power would weaken him. You know, like how your cell phone battery dies faster after you plug it into the charger.

Face it. The Monarch is the Dr. Venture of villainy.

OTOH:

1. He's stolen like $10 million from Rusty, Billy and White
2. He's outsmarted/tricked JJ
3. Dr. Mrs. Whatever-now invited him to a party with the council and didn't tell him not to wear his costume (granted you are probably right about him not owning anything else)
4. It's kinda hard to declare something as clearly flawed when its never been tested
5. Yeah the sunshine thing was dumb but that's technically on his wife for coming up with it.

Raskolnikov38 fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Feb 16, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He's very good at arching. His plans might not always work but he's very good being an arch enemy. He doesn't own any other clothes. He has his monarch costume and that robe, that's pretty much it.

Probably Infected
Feb 17, 2010
College Slice

Xelkelvos posted:

Copycat's cloning is based on him snapping his fingers so it's likely Monarch will break his fingers (or his fingers get broken in some hilarious manner) before the coup de gras

I could see the Monarch screwing with his cloning powers and make him spawn hundreds of himself in an elevator or similarly small room until he pops.

I'd also wager heavily that we see a Godfather-like montage of the new Blue Morpho dispatching villains since we already have a Vito Corleone-ish villain with references to the GF and I don't think they'll stretch out his murder spree more than absolutely necessary (especially since we're already 3 eps in and he just now found out who his dad was).

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

He's got that beaver inspector t-shirt!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe we'll get a look at him putting on the costume, a scene where he kills Redusa then just a montage of random throwaway villains.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

3. Dr. Mrs. Whatever-now invited him to a party with the council and didn't tell him not to wear his costume (granted you are probably right about him not owning anything else)

He says this outright in the episode where he and Dr. Mrs. go to plant bombs at the compound.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Cojawfee posted:

He's very good at arching. His plans might not always work but he's very good being an arch enemy. He doesn't own any other clothes. He has his monarch costume and that robe, that's pretty much it.

Either he has one single pair of underwear, or he's aggressively into tiger stripe thongs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

RandallODim posted:

Either he has one single pair of underwear, or he's aggressively into tiger stripe thongs.

Do you want me to have panty lines? This thing is a skin tight black body suit! It hides nothing! NOTHING!

I love how Blue Morpho was by Jack Kirby.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I liked the Jerry Lewis movie in an episode featuring a character based on Dean Martin.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

LostRook posted:

Given the look between him and Wide Wale at the end, I thought Copycat was just hitting on her as a pretense. If the whole thing was planned in advance, as it appears to have been, it probably wasn't just to get in Dr. Mrs. The Monarch's pants.

That was my take on it as well. Copycat also outright said early on that he wasn't hitting on her but wanted her to consider him for the council, which fills in his motivation.

Did I miss some reason that Wide Wale is out to get The Monarch? It made sense that he wanted the arching rights to Dr. Venture, but this last episode made it seem a lot more vindictive.

Also a bit retready of Sergeant Hatred getting the rights to Venture in an earlier season and lording it over the Monarch as revenge.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Avasculous posted:

That was my take on it as well. Copycat also outright said early on that he wasn't hitting on her but wanted her to consider him for the council, which fills in his motivation.

Did I miss some reason that Wide Wale is out to get The Monarch? It made sense that he wanted the arching rights to Dr. Venture, but this last episode made it seem a lot more vindictive.

Also a bit retready of Sergeant Hatred getting the rights to Venture in an earlier season and lording it over the Monarch as revenge.

Well we figure at this point it has to do at least partially with Monarch murdering his brother back in Season 3

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

When do the T shirts ship out? Is it all at once after the season is over?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

I wonder how Kano's going to take the Monarch's Blue Morpho routine.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Avasculous posted:

Wide Wale has been hinted to be the brother of Doctor Dugong, a super-scientist whom was executed by the Monarch in season 3. Many believe that Wide Wale is out for revenge against the Monarch because of that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

X_Toad posted:

Wide Wale has been hinted to be the brother of Doctor Dugong, a super-scientist whom was executed by the Monarch in season 3. Many believe that Wide Wale is out for revenge against the Monarch because of that.

It makes sense too, Wale's been shown to be caring of his friends and family, and even his underlings to an extent(like how incensed he got at Monarch's comment about his number 2's appearance)

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Hey, do you think Wide Wale's brother's name was Dug?

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Mr. Fowl posted:

Hey, do you think Wide Wale's brother's name was Dug?

It's Douglas. So, yes. Doug Ong.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, he's a savant when it comes to actually being somebody's arch-villain, and that's probably mostly down to the fact that he actually deeply, honestly, genuinely "cares" about just ruining the lives of his nemesis. He tried going through the motions with Dr. Dugong but it just wasn't the same, and you can tell he's happiest when he's actually loving with Rusty. All the Guild rules and regulations are stuff he knows he is supposed to follow, and he does for the most part, but you can tell how much it irks him to have to put up with all the red tape and bureaucracy.

Other heroes/villains basically go through the motions/don't particularly care beyond it being their job, but The Monarch REALLY hates Rusty and he loves the poo poo out of arching him.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

It also helps explain what Doctor Girlfriend sees in him. She wanted to be a supervillain, but couldn't hack it. She says it's because she couldn't handle her moppets, but I think it's more than that. She doesn't have the passion to do it on her own. She could have arched the Order of the Triad in season 2, but she got annoyed and left when they made fun of her voice. It was a cursory effort -- going through the motions because it's what she was supposed to do, just like when she was working for Limb. The only time we see her getting real satisfaction from her work is when she's with the Monarch because he has enough passion and hate for both of them. Without him she's lost.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I wonder how Kano's going to take the Monarch's Blue Morpho routine.

I didn't think about this. Team venture and especially Kano will remember Blue Morpho. What happened to the original has to come up at some point.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Cojawfee posted:

I didn't think about this. Team venture and especially Kano will remember Blue Morpho. What happened to the original has to come up at some point.
Colonel Gentleman and the Action Man also live in NYC at this point so presumably they will make an appearance.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Colonel Gentleman and the Action Man also live in NYC at this point so presumably they will make an appearance.
They were in one of the trailers alongside Rose Whalen, so I would say that they will certainly make an appearance :3:

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Redusa kind of cleaned up nicely. Also good to know that her shrink-powers aren't permanent. Not that it wouldn't make Red Mantle more amusing to have one of his heads be tiny for a few episodes.

As regards the Monarch's intellect - I kind of forget, now, did we ever find out what Dr. Mrs. the Monarch got her doctorate in?

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Other heroes/villains basically go through the motions/don't particularly care beyond it being their job, but The Monarch REALLY hates Rusty and he loves the poo poo out of arching him.

At one point, the Monarch was loving a robot with Rusty's face. Dude absolutely gets off on his hate.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

As regards the Monarch's intellect - I kind of forget, now, did we ever find out what Dr. Mrs. the Monarch got her doctorate in?

She studied under Phantom Limb didn't she? Wasn't he a professor of physics or robotics or something?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
Guys, there's no point wondering what her degree was in. Rusty studied Science. Phantom Limb studied Science. Dr. Mrs. the Monarch has a doctorate in Science. That's how science works in this kind of world. Once you're good at one science you're good at all of them.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I don't know Rusty is a gently caress ton better at cloning than anything else.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

Guys, there's no point wondering what her degree was in. Rusty studied Science. Phantom Limb studied Science. Dr. Mrs. the Monarch has a doctorate in Science. That's how science works in this kind of world. Once you're good at one science you're good at all of them.

There's also no point wondering about it because in one of the comic-con events that Doc and Jackson participated in, someone asked this question flat-out, and Doc became visibly annoyed. He didn't answer the question, either. At least, not seriously. But yeah... they are not going there.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I hope there are more Blue Morpho flashbacks this seasons, it would be a shame to get Paul F. Tompkins just for a two line character, even if he's a significant one in this universe.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

greatn posted:

I don't know Rusty is a gently caress ton better at cloning than anything else.

Is he?

I assumed the cloning tanks were leftover from Jonas, and Rusty just used them. Since they were destroyed, it's not like Rusty made more.

Edit: Also, Rusty couldn't clone 24. Or Hitler.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Red posted:

Is he?

I assumed the cloning tanks were leftover from Jonas, and Rusty just used them. Since they were destroyed, it's not like Rusty made more.

Edit: Also, Rusty couldn't clone 24. Or Hitler.

He absolutely could clone either of those. He refuses to clone hitler and he doesn't do 24 because he doesn't get paid. They just would be babies. He clones the kid that gets killed by gorillas at his daycamp.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Kesper North posted:

He wasn't sure. Could have been Sumerian.

You gotta figure he's seen lots of ancient cults in his time.

too many death cults

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
How much of a role did Ben (the old man who lives next to Jonas Sr/Rusty from A Very Venture Halloween) play in the cloning technology?
Like, a lot or a little?

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Action Man is dead, right? Orpheus predicted his death by stroke, I'm sure he was buried in the same episode as Dr Entman was.

I'm sure Rusty is meant to be great at cloning, only continuing his work is illegal.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

LashLightning posted:

Action Man is dead, right? Orpheus predicted his death by stroke, I'm sure he was buried in the same episode as Dr Entman was.

I'm sure Rusty is meant to be great at cloning, only continuing his work is illegal.

That was JJ that was buried. Orpheus actually predicted Action Man's wife dying.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Mr. Nice! posted:

He absolutely could clone either of those. He refuses to clone hitler and he doesn't do 24 because he doesn't get paid. They just would be babies. He clones the kid that gets killed by gorillas at his daycamp.

I forgot about the daycamper, though he bumped him up to his regular age.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

MrSlam posted:

How much of a role did Ben (the old man who lives next to Jonas Sr/Rusty from A Very Venture Halloween) play in the cloning technology?
Like, a lot or a little?

Ben implies that he and Jonas did the lion's share of the work on the cloning project, he says that they "perfected genetic engineering" together. Although he also says that he and Rusty were on the same page in regard to it being "a loving band-aid for a really big boo-boo," so presumably he was actively working with Rusty after Jonas's death.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Seems like Jonas and Ben worked on it. Then Rusty had Ben help him clone the boys just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
Given that they perfected genetic engineering and Ben's still around and a thing, I'm really expecting there to be a dormant clone of Jonas Venture the senior just waiting for the perfect time on a reveal that's guaranteed to twist Rusty's daddy issues up to a whole new level.