Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

What are those saucer things in the background? Is this some terrible Star Trek/Wars crossover?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, that's what I meant. I'm much more scared of a rebel captive if he has the PS advantage on my Soontir or if he moves after Soontir than the other way around. If you have I'd much rather have a two action Soontir than being forced to guess where you are going to end up as well. One of the scariest ships I ever faced with Soontir was a RAC with rebel captive with VI and EU, which was hell to actually fight against.

Sure, I see what you mean but in Whispers case I would still rather shoot first than move last. If Soontir is shooting first he has 3 dice to your 2, plus when he gets a stress from rebel captive he gets himself a focus he can use on defense.

If Whisper shoots first she gets 4 reds into 3 greens, then she gets 4 greens and a free focus on defense. Soontir gets stressed and his free focus is likely wasted.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The issue is if you can get a shot off at all. The problem with moving first is that Soontir can react to you fairly easily. If he can line up a shot with him in arc and you out of arc while only using a single boost/barrel roll, that's obviously the best option. If he can't, he can PtL Boost/Barrel Roll to get out of arc even if he doesn't manage to line up a shot, which if you don't have a target for Whisper means he now can't recloak using ACD and you are in a MUCH worse position for next round. If I had Whisper and won the initiative bid, I would give initiative to my opponent 100% of the time if we matched PSes.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Geisladisk posted:

What are those saucer things in the background? Is this some terrible Star Trek/Wars crossover?

Hapan Battle Dragon: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hapan_Battle_Dragon

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Geisladisk posted:

Hapan Battle Dragon

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Geisladisk posted:

I want FFG to buy out WizKids so we can have X-wing VS Attack Wing to prove once and for all that Star Wars has superior ships.

And also Star Wars Dice Masters.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Tekopo posted:

The issue is if you can get a shot off at all. The problem with moving first is that Soontir can react to you fairly easily. If he can line up a shot with him in arc and you out of arc while only using a single boost/barrel roll, that's obviously the best option. If he can't, he can PtL Boost/Barrel Roll to get out of arc even if he doesn't manage to line up a shot, which if you don't have a target for Whisper means he now can't recloak using ACD and you are in a MUCH worse position for next round. If I had Whisper and won the initiative bid, I would give initiative to my opponent 100% of the time if we matched PSes.

Whisper is one of the ships where you can be unpredictable enough to catch soontir in a bad spot consistently. Even if Soontir dodges your arc, you have the 1 turn and barrel roll which lets you keep training that arc on him and forcing him to run.

I don't think it is ever the right move to give up initiative with Whisper but I think its a grey enough area that there is no one objectively correct answer. It comes down to how you fly.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

You can be unpredictable, but if you barrel roll you lose quite a lot in terms of offense and in all likelyhood, Soontir can just tank up with tokens and potentially decide not to make a shot that turn just so that he doesn't double stress. He can just wait until the perfect situation to actually strike, or force you to spend actions to recloak because you don't have anything in arc.

I agree with you that ideally you want to shoot first with Whisper, but moving last gives such a headache to a Soontir player because he doesn't have all the information he needs to make the correct choice in any given situation. And getting the shots in with Whisper in order to keep ACD ticking is really important, because if you end up having to take a cloak action without access to a focus, you are as good as dead against a good Soontir player.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
I actually think moving second is riskier because you HAVE to dodge arcs or Soontir is likely to damage you but you only get a single action and have no boost. It can go either way depending on the board state for sure, some turns you will have a hard time getting the right angle but you can always decloak somewhere unexpected and come back in later turns for a second pass.

The other thing is, if Soontir takes all his actions to dodge your arc, it doesn't necessarily mean you don't have a target that turn. Soontir is only 35 points in the list so there is a decent chance you can get a shot on something else to get your cloak back.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Yeah, but in a low-points scenario it's likely that it will end up with Soontir vs Whisper as a closer.

Honestly, I think there are arguments for both sides, but since I have slightly more experience flying Soontir over Whisper and prefer having to move last overall, I'm mostly seeing the matchup from that perspective. Overall I think that Soontir, no matter if he goes first or second, has a slight matchup advantage over Whisper, but the matches tend to end up being all about how skillful the player is in the end.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Went 0-3 last night at the league at my LFGS and while I was frustrated, still had fun and continued to learn. I think I rolled a total of 4 evade dice, the rest either focus or blanks in three games.

One of the toughest at the league was a guy with two Defenders, Rexler and Vessery. Both had HLC, Rexler had ion missiles and VI. They were incredibly strong and the guy flew them well. His strategy was to hang back and wait til you had a ship that was near an edge or an asteroid and then hit you with an ion missile. He sent a fat Han and a Doom Shuttle off the map in separate matches.

My list is getting better but I think I need to upgrade Wedge. Here's my list:

Wedge Leads the Way (100)

Wedge Antilles (38) - X-Wing
Outmaneuver (3), BB-8 (2), Shield Upgrade (4)

"Blue Ace" (33) - T-70 X-Wing
R2-D2 (4), Weapons Guidance (2)

Lieutenant Blount (29) - Z-95 Headhunter
Predator (3), Assault Missiles (5), Shield Upgrade (4)

Someone told me to drop Blue Ace to Red Ace to free up some points and to drop Weapons Guidance. I might have to make that T70 purchase sooner than I wanted.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
Red Ace with R2-D2 and Comm Relay is exceptionally good.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

The Gate posted:

How good can it be if you can't run Omega Leader in the same list, though?

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
I mean, OL is good and all, but....

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

The Gate posted:

I faced off with my setup against a guy whose opening strategy was to intentionally hit an asteroid on the first move to get Red Ace the evade to bank it.

A little bit of me feels like that is too drat meta in planning, but it's also a good strategy over all I guess.

Looks like I'm not only buying a T70, but also an F/O!

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Ringo Star Get posted:

I faced off with my setup against a guy whose opening strategy was to intentionally hit an asteroid on the first move to get Red Ace the evade to bank it.

A little bit of me feels like that is too drat meta in planning, but it's also a good strategy over all I guess.

Looks like I'm not only buying a T70, but also an F/O!

That's actually pretty clever. Bonk an asteroid, get the evade, and regen the shield on the next move.
Gotta feel weird rooting for a hit when rolling the asteroid hit red die though.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

Poopy Palpy posted:

How good can it be if you can't run Omega Leader in the same list, though?

The Gate posted:

I mean, OL is good and all, but....

Don't know what you guys are talking about, this is my proposed list for store champs:

quote:

Poe Dameron [R5-P9, Veteran Instincts, Autothrusters] (37)

“Red Ace” [R2-D2, Comm Relay, Autothrusters] (38)

"Omega Leader" [Juke, Comm Relay] (26)

Total: 101 points

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I'd drop Autothrusters for Integrated Astromech on one of the T-70s to get under 100.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Some Numbers posted:

I'd drop Autothrusters for Integrated Astromech on one of the T-70s to get under 100.

I guess if I have to compromise my artistic vision we could do this

On Poe, though, he's the worse of the two T-70 pilots for sure

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
So, what's everyone's favourite 4-LOM build? I've been trying to work out the best way to stress-troll with him and getting mostly nowhere...

Advanced Sensors/Stay On Target/Navigator. Expensive, but keeps your whole dial open until you actually take your move, and you get your action.

Advanced Sensors/RRRAAAAEG. Limits you to greens if you want to do it every round, but somewhat obviates Rage's penalties, and Rage is really good.

PTL, generally. Gets you the most actions, gets you repositioning especially if you grab Engine Upgrade, but at PS6... who cares?

Glitterstim or Inertial Dampeners. Probably include one of these anyway.

I wanna 4-LOM some people. Bring on the Mist Hunter.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

guts and bolts posted:

Don't know what you guys are talking about, this is my proposed list for store champs:

Try using a salvaged astromech instead of R5

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Also, fuckit, ordered /x1 and ATC on ebay, hopefully from a decent seller though gently caress knows. Now hopefully my FLGS will get the Advanced back in stock soon.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Some Numbers posted:

He might want to keep it though, to have a chance at that negative initiative bid.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

quote:

4-LOM (34)
G-1A Starfighter (27)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Tactician (2)
Advanced Sensors (3)
Mist Hunter (0)
Tractor beam (1)

If you're committed to being as trolly as possible, you can use the G-1A's suspect dial to reliably drop stress on a dude, and if you're a huge jerk, you can set up a pretty hilarious double-stress by using AS to get your action, redmoving at PS8, getting to range 2 of a given target, shooting it with a Tractor Beam (1 stress) and then moving them into range 1 for another stress at End Phase.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

guts and bolts posted:

If you're committed to being as trolly as possible, you can use the G-1A's suspect dial to reliably drop stress on a dude, and if you're a huge jerk, you can set up a pretty hilarious double-stress by using AS to get your action, redmoving at PS8, getting to range 2 of a given target, shooting it with a Tractor Beam (1 stress) and then moving them into range 1 for another stress at End Phase.

Aheh had not thought of that doublestress option. Only works on small ships but nice.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

Aheh had not thought of that doublestress option. Only works on small ships but nice.

I mean, you're paying 34 points for the world's cleverest BTL-A4 stressbot Y-Wing, but it's in Scum and has potentially other options?

Like, the main problem with the Mist Hunter and Tractor Beam is that in order to capitalize on Tractor Beam, the Mist Hunter needs to be the highest PS ship in your list, and it gets to do zero native damage on the play. If you're going to run the title and Tractor Beam, 4-LOM is the only ship that makes sense, to me, and it's gimmicky? But cool. I love gimmicks, personally. Tractor Beam is arguably the easiest gimmick to gently caress up, however, because as-written you can't choose to not move them with TB - you get to choose how they move, but it doesn't say "... may choose," so you have to move them where at all possible.

If you don't care about Tractor Beam, I think we start from a core of Zuckuss as the pilot, Crack Shot, and Dengar crew, with possibly a Scum cloak to mitigate our terrible dial. Advanced Sensors to taste? I don't know.

EDIT: Being able to Advanced Sensors a cloak before red-moving has limited application, you'd think, but maybe it isn't bad. Stygium Particle Accelerator could be worth the points perhaps, as well. But since red dice are better than green, Zuckuss feels like the best pilot option, if you treat him as a 4-dice primary gun. Dengar gets us a Diet Predator while still freeing up Crack Shot, we get some blocking potential and survivability when we have no shot with Cloak+Stygium, and we're 39 points for a 4-dice primary gun? I don't know if it's great but I'd playtest it for sure. Like it isn't Rage Keyan in terms of "this probably sucks but gently caress it," like this is perhaps not bad.

guts and bolts fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 16, 2016

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, i think those are basically the options. 4LOM troll or Zuckuss actually doing damage.

It'll take some experimenting to get a feel for how it actually plays.

I get the feeling the title will mostly just be 1pt: gain Barrel Roll.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Is the title/beam worth it for the barrel roll though?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Hencoe posted:

Is the title/beam worth it for the barrel roll though?

Being that it's a grand total of 1 point, I'd say yes.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
4Lom crew is going to be nice on big ships, because receiving 1 ion token has essentially zero effect

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

thespaceinvader posted:

Advanced Sensors/RRRAAAAEG. Limits you to greens if you want to do it every round, but somewhat obviates Rage's penalties, and Rage is really good.

Is Rage really good? Any ship with a Target Lock can do the same thing for less stress with PTL, which is also potentially a lot more versatile and only costs two points. I guess if you're attacking twice getting rerolls on both attacks is nice, but I don't think anyone excited about Rage is planning on putting it on Corran or a Tidy.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

thespaceinvader posted:

Yeah, i think those are basically the options. 4LOM troll or Zuckuss actually doing damage.

It'll take some experimenting to get a feel for how it actually plays.

I get the feeling the title will mostly just be 1pt: gain Barrel Roll.

That's what I was thinking at first blush, as well, and I was considering PTL to be basically an automatic starting point, but this is a ship where over a third of your dial is red (37.5%, 6 out of 16 choices) and the ability to clear stress is extremely limited (speed-1 banks or speed 1/2/3 straights). Speed-1 straight is probably the best maneuver on the dial, in a vacuum, actually. If you don't take PTL, I'm not sure you spend the point just to gain access to Barrel Roll. I mean, maybe you do? This is what I'd have to playtest - how often I actually find myself using BRoll on a ship with limited action economy. It's probably doable if we treat Dengar as an auto-include?

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

canyoneer posted:

4Lom crew is going to be nice on big ships, because receiving 1 ion token has essentially zero effect

Ion tokens don't clear until you take the forced movement though, so it will have an effect the second time. Probably still a more playable crew card than Leebo, though.

Poopy Palpy posted:

Is Rage really good? Any ship with a Target Lock can do the same thing for less stress with PTL, which is also potentially a lot more versatile and only costs two points. I guess if you're attacking twice getting rerolls on both attacks is nice, but I don't think anyone excited about Rage is planning on putting it on Corran or a Tidy.

You can use it with Youngster, though. :getin:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Poopy Palpy posted:

I think it works well on Tycho, since it's basically a free TL and focus. Combine it with Prockets and you get a pretty nasty shot and some flexibility.

I also think it might be fun with a Green Squadron pilot with Prockets and Crack Shot, but I am a terrible newbie and it's likely a bad idea.

But you can fit four of them in a 100 point squad. :getin:

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
The G1-A dial isn't that bad, actually. It's got the same greens as most ships in the game (a few straights and 1 or 2 speed banks). Nothing amazing, but not bad.

The red 1 turns are fine too, though obviously not ideal. Much like the B-Wing though, they're one if those things that are great when you need them. The 3 banks being red legit sucks, but I'd argue that's the only bad part of the dial. Again, the dial's about the same as the B-Wing, except better in every way. And B-Wings are rear end in a top hat knife fighters. If the TLT didn't exist they'd still be the best generic fighter currently available.

That's my real issue with the G-1A. Scum got their B-Wing, right after the wave that made B-Wing's much less appealing as an option. No one plays Keyan despite his having what should be a seriously impressive pilot ability. I feel like Zucchini and 4 bot are going to suffer a similar fate. Right there with Talonbane.

Quite frankly, you simply cannot afford to play an ace that's 30+ points in X-Wing if they are not able to be rather survivable. That's really always been the case, but it's become more obvious as time and more cards/ships are released.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Played in a 12 person 60 point tournament last night and went 3-0 winning the thing. I ran...

Mauler Mithel (17)

Dark Curse (16)

Night Beast (15)

Academy Pilot (12)

My first game was against a pimped out Tycho and TLT Gold Squadron Pilot. I avoided Tycho most of the game and zeroed in on the Gold Squadron to get the modified win.

Second game I ran up against Ten Numb and another TLT Gold Squadron Pilot. It was a bit of scary dogfight in the middle of the asteroids but I was able to drag him down with the weight of my red dice focusing in on each ship.

The last game was maybe the toughest against 3 Kihraxz fighters. That was a lot of dice and hull to chew through at that many points, the TIEs came up big though and took em all out.

It was a really fun tournament and the first one I'd gotten to play in half a year. Good to know I didn't lose my touch at pushing space ships around.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

TheKingslayer posted:

Played in a 12 person 60 point tournament last night and went 3-0 winning the thing. I ran...

Mauler Mithel (17)

Dark Curse (16)

Night Beast (15)

Academy Pilot (12)

My first game was against a pimped out Tycho and TLT Gold Squadron Pilot. I avoided Tycho most of the game and zeroed in on the Gold Squadron to get the modified win.

Second game I ran up against Ten Numb and another TLT Gold Squadron Pilot. It was a bit of scary dogfight in the middle of the asteroids but I was able to drag him down with the weight of my red dice focusing in on each ship.

The last game was maybe the toughest against 3 Kihraxz fighters. That was a lot of dice and hull to chew through at that many points, the TIEs came up big though and took em all out.

It was a really fun tournament and the first one I'd gotten to play in half a year. Good to know I didn't lose my touch at pushing space ships around.

Four ships in a 60 point tournament seems pretty awesome.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Omicron Group Pilot — Lambda-Class Shuttle
Emperor Palpatine
Ship Total: 29 

Lieutenant Colzet — TIE Advanced
Advanced Targeting Computer
TIE/x1
Ship Total: 24 

Darth Vader — TIE Advanced
Veteran Instincts
Advanced Targeting Computer
Twin Ion Engine Mk. II1
TIE/x1
Ship Total: 32 

"Wampa" — TIE Fighter
Ship Total: 14

So it's a gimmick, but it's a decent one. IMO. Just wish I could find the points for EU on Vader without compromising on my artistic vision. Played against a similar build last night with no Vader and Pappy on RAC.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Otisburg posted:

So it's a gimmick, but it's a decent one. IMO. Just wish I could find the points for EU on Vader without compromising on my artistic vision. Played against a similar build last night with no Vader and Pappy on RAC.

I've not seen it myself but from all reports the Wampa + Palp combo is hilarious .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

kingcom posted:

I've not seen it myself but from all reports the Wampa + Palp combo is hilarious .

Colzet is the cherry on top.

• Locked thread