Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Brannock posted:

The GOP establishment will have to make a deal with Ted Cruz if they want any hope of defeating Trump :laugh: It's perfect. It's so perfect

That would mean that 1) Cruz would have to make a deal and 2) the establishment would prefer Cruz to Trump

And I don't think either of those things are true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Brannock posted:

I think Trump is getting closer and closer to running away with this.

Suppose Kasich and Jeb drop out and all their support goes to Rubio. That's 25, still not enough to contest Trump. Carson dropping out, which should happen any time in the next month and a half, will have his supporters spread out evenly but I think mostly to Cruz.

The GOP establishment will have to make a deal with Ted Cruz if they want any hope of defeating Trump :laugh: It's perfect. It's so perfect

There's debate about whether the GOPe would prefer Trump or Cruz. Personally I think Trump could charm them into going for him if it was down to those two.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Subvisual Haze posted:

I think my favorite thing about the polling numbers is how Trump manages to win like 90% of the subgroups. Dude is in first place in every age group, every income level, every education level, conservative/moderate, even every religious affiliation some times.

Imagine how loving depressing it must be for the other candidates to realize that they're losing to Trump among women voters. Or if you're Ted Cruz and staked your entire strategy on being the Evangelical dream candidate, only to see Donald loving Trump tying or leading you among evangelical voters.

Don't forget this:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/02/muslim-voters-2016/458691/

quote:

Trump has endorsed a national registry of Muslims and suggested banning them from entering the country—even, perhaps, Muslim Americans who have been traveling abroad.

That makes the finding of a new survey of Muslim voters particularly remarkable: Incredibly, he’s third in the race, and top among Republican contenders, according to a new study from the Council on American-Islamic Relations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Gwaihir posted:

Boosted has never actually acknowledged that the southern strategy exists and that the democratic and republican parties pretty much completely swapped constituencies between the civil war and the passage of the civil rights act, it's just sorta his thing.

I think he knows but refuses to acknowledge it since it conflicts with his narrative that the Democrats are the racist, KKK loving party of old.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Betting market report: Trump and Rubio steadily inching up at everyone else's expense, with Trump still having roughly double Rubio's odds. In SC, Trump is now as favored to win as he was in NH.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Nastier Nate posted:

That would mean that 1) Cruz would have to make a deal and 2) the establishment would prefer Cruz to Trump

And I don't think either of those things are true.

I just can't see anyone cutting a deal with Cruz. He'll want VP, and everyone knows that means he's going to poison you.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

cruz will bring back old american traditions, like political assassinations

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

Jewel Repetition posted:

There's debate about whether the GOPe would prefer Trump or Cruz. Personally I think Trump could charm them into going for him if it was down to those two.

I think they'd probably prefer Trump.

A slimy religious nutjob would get wrecked nationally and have a huge negative impact on downticket races. Trump will masterfully pivot to the center and win over a lot of disaffected democrats.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

hes at 3rd with 7%, hillary has 52 and bernie has 22. his numbers are meaningless and thats some clickbaity bullshit

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Ahahahahahaha!

Prof. Lurker
Mar 10, 2015

I've got the fire of human liberty!

I'm setting fires everywhere!

And humans are turning on everywhere!
What is with the Trump and Morning Joe connection? I'm seeing extreme right wingers praising an MSNBC show and it's confusing me. I don't have a TV anymore so I can't tune in.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Pinch me I'm dreaming

Regarding the Morning Joe thing, essentially CNN called him out on it but it's pretty clear being the only "pro-Trump" show on TV has boosted ratings so MSNBC doesn't care. He still isn't as pro-Trump as FOX is pro-Rubio so the whole thing is laughable anyway. Joe Scarborough is a former Republican congressman if that somehow escaped anyone.

Also Trump doing the CNN townhall on Thursday yet attempting to steal the viewers for his opponents on Wednesday is beautiful.

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Feb 16, 2016

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Jewel Repetition posted:

Trump definitely. While Trump may be a wild card and impossible to control, Ted Cruz actively works to backstab every member of his own party for personal gain. Trump is like a trickster god, his crazy actions can be a benefit or a harm to the party. Cruz though is the scorpion from the scorpion and frog parable, there's no changing his nature.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Genius move by Trump to hold his own Town Hall on Wednesday. That is when Cruz and Rubio are on, along with Friend Ben. Then he is on CNN Thursday. Sucking up all the air again, I know I will be watching the Trump event over those 2 losers and Carson.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

evilweasel posted:

I just can't see anyone cutting a deal with Cruz. He'll want VP, and everyone knows that means he's going to poison you.

Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer. At least when he's in the White House it's easier to keep an eye on him :v:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Prof. Lurker posted:

What is with the Trump and Morning Joe connection? I'm seeing extreme right wingers praising an MSNBC show and it's confusing me. I don't have a TV anymore so I can't tune in.

the hosts are personal friends of trump and provide him with favorable coverage all the time

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
I hate to rain on the parade, but the Jeb Bush Dot Com redirect was covered pretty extensively at the end of November when it popped up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
CNN made a big mistake when they didn't schedule all the candidates for a town hall on the same day, for exactly this reason. You could say... it's a yooge mistake.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

lol

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

I hate to rain on the parade, but the Jeb Bush Dot Com redirect was covered pretty extensively at the end of November when it popped up.

:doh: Never mind, then!

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Subvisual Haze posted:

I think my favorite thing about the polling numbers is how Trump manages to win like 90% of the subgroups. Dude is in first place in every age group, every income level, every education level, conservative/moderate, even every religious affiliation some times.

Imagine how loving depressing it must be for the other candidates to realize that they're losing to Trump among women voters. Or if you're Ted Cruz and staked your entire strategy on being the Evangelical dream candidate, only to see Donald loving Trump tying or leading you among evangelical voters.

Turns out, a significant portion of evangelicals want a wall more than they want to ban abortion. Who coulda guessed that clinging to guns and jesus was such a cover for deep economic animosity?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Boosted_C5 posted:

The GOP has already almost completed its mission of fixing the south. We've pretty much run the party of slavery, the party of the KKK, and the party who launched a treasonous rebellion against the U.S. completely out of power down here. And along the way things have gotten better. With the GOP in charge, blacks and whites can now eat together at diners and live together in our communities. Also our police forces don't loose dogs or turn fire hoses on blacks either.

It's pretty great. Stories my dad tells me from his youth, when Democrats where in charger, and pretty horrific. Hard to imagine things like KKK rallies being held in the high school football stadium, pretty disgusting what went on under Democratic control for so many years after the civil war. Sore losers I guess.

1964 never happened all parties are the same forever.

Democrats are poo poo just for other reasons.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

My dearest hope is that Trump and Sanders doing so well this election helps destroy the strangehold that corporate media has

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

evilweasel posted:

If someone makes Ted Cruz their VP, they'll also have to make Caroline Cruz their official food taster.

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

They're just racist against Muslims.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Subvisual Haze posted:

My favorite part is poor Jeb! having to wrap his mind around a having a guy who hates his family and everything they stand for as the nominee.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

The Nastier Nate posted:

If someone makes Ted Cruz their VP, they'll also have to make Caroline Cruz their official food taster.

good plan, cruz would have to think twice about endangering his access to goldman sachs money

edit o wait thats heidi, well, still...

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
wrong thread

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

T r a v i s posted:

They're just racist against Muslims.

And to think, the Democratic party could have all the support of Trump added to their base if only they had made 2010 and 2014 referendum on the state of islam in America.

They aren't racist against muslims, any more than it is to say that being concerned about the increase in antisemitic attacks in America is racist against muslims.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

That is an old LF tradition and it is still alive to this day.

Horniest Manticore posted:

gently caress you, i want a bullet in this rear end in a top hat's forehead

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Pumroy posted:

Cruz will appoint a SCOTUS nominee who will rule Kentucky's ban on duels to be unconstitutional.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Brannock posted:

I see this working out exactly like the Gingrich / Santorum unity ticket plan in 2012.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
Rush had a mini-meltdown just now. A pro-Cruz caller was really disturbed because Cruz, THE TRUE CONSERVATIVE is losing to Trump. Rush tried to explain to her that yes Cruz is a true conservative but he's not connecting like Trump has with the voters. The caller kept pushing Rush, as if it was Rush's job to fight harder for Cruz... Rush thanked her for her call then lost it saying that people from all over are blaming him for Trump's rise, and that it's not his job to win votes for a candidate(Cruz.)

He then came back and said you can be a perfect ideological candidate but if that's all you're offering when you are up against a larger than life figure who is promising the world to everyone and connecting with voters you're going to get smoked.

E: He's back at this.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

My Imaginary GF posted:

And to think, the Democratic party could have all the support of Trump added to their base if only they had made 2010 and 2014 referendum on the state of islam in America.

They aren't racist against muslims, any more than it is to say that being concerned about the increase in antisemitic attacks in America is racist against muslims.

Does the gimmick ever get old? Like, you wake up one day and say, "I'd really like to post something sincere today"

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Lotka Volterra posted:

Does the gimmick ever get old? Like, you wake up one day and say, "I'd really like to post something sincere today"

Ask him about cheese or hot dogs.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Montasque posted:

The big thing out of that poll that no one is talking about is that Ted Cruz is underwater in SC and has worse favorables than JEB!

I'm really starting to wonder if Trump repeatedly painting Cruz as a weaselly slimy liar has made that portrait begin to stick.

Most of us who post on these threads already see Cruz that way, but GOP partisans are usually able to either overlook/ignore the sliminess of their candidate or actually celebrate it as a desirable trait when working for them, but I can't help but wonder if Trump giving no fucks and calling Cruz out as a lying slime has begun to have an impact.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Brannock posted:

Ask him about cheese or hot dogs.

A goon would be unflinching about their opinions on food

Jared Kush
Mar 4, 2015

by zen death robot

My Imaginary GF posted:

I agree, I was being facetious with that statement because liberals like to accuse anyone that doesn't agree with their plans for making America the world's soup kitchen of being racist. If they knew that even Muslims know better than to let other Muslims in without at least a background check the liberals would probably say they just don't know what's in their own best interests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.

Oiled and Ready posted:

Joe Scarborough is a former Republican congressman if that somehow escaped anyone.

He also murdered an intern.

The Nastier Nate posted:

Don't think Ted Cruz wouldn't kill his daughters for a chance at power.

• Locked thread