Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I would rather another ten pages of FE Fates arguing than ever see anyone from P4 mentioned again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

im sorry i was just making a joke.

let's talk about how Rise is the best girl.

Don't be, i'll stop talking about it.

Rise sucks, Kanji's cuter.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Know that I say this without a hint of irony: Fire Emblem Fates is going to own

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Oh right I posted this elsewhere but here's a very nice interview with Falcom's president about Trails and Ys:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-02-14-falcom-vs-the-fans

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I'm not sure if I was expecting it to be any different or not but apparently the Yokai Watch x 3 Kingdoms crossover is re-using the Pokemon Conquest system. I guess Koei thought Pokemon was too passe for a Pokemon Conquest 2 and decided to throw their lot in with the new champion series of selling knick-knacks and anime DVDs.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/15/yo-kai-watch-romance-three-kingdoms-trailer-shows-yo-kai-conquest-fashion/

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The best girl in a Persona game is actually Instructor Sara from Trails of Cold Steel because that game is practically a Persona game.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mr. Sunabouzu posted:

Best Atelier music is Lotte's battle theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OREai_P5Ew

Also the better Shallie. Shalistera is boring.

Sorry, Stella is far superior: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kj3S3QvJeU

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwslbVG7OME good stuff

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Getsuya posted:

I'm not sure if I was expecting it to be any different or not but apparently the Yokai Watch x 3 Kingdoms crossover is re-using the Pokemon Conquest system. I guess Koei thought Pokemon was too passe for a Pokemon Conquest 2 and decided to throw their lot in with the new champion series of selling knick-knacks and anime DVDs.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/02/15/yo-kai-watch-romance-three-kingdoms-trailer-shows-yo-kai-conquest-fashion/

Oh god this looks adorable! I want a little Zhang Fei dude.

Was Pokemon Conquest any use?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Wow wrong opinion on best protag AND you got Stera's name wrong???

e: oh drat you were referring to the name of the song. Yeah that one's better

Erg fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Feb 16, 2016

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Erg posted:

Wow wrong opinion on best protag AND you got Stera's name wrong???

e: oh drat you were referring to the name of the song

Yeah Shallie (lotte? poo poo it's been a while) is the better protag but Shallistera's music is way better.

e: i just found myself wishing Escha was the protagonist when she showed up.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Feb 16, 2016

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I might be playing Atelier Shallie soon, again - I played it a little bit beforehand, and chose green-haired lady since people were saying she's better. But from what I played (which was brief, maybe the first chapter or two), it seemed that most of the actual plot of the game was happening to dark-haired Shallie, and Green was just faffing about doing stuff because. Does this change later on?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Morpheus posted:

Does this change later on?

Yeah, their paths come together. The only thing to really note is that Shallistera gets more sidescenes with Escha, Shallotte gets more sidescenes with Wilbell. But they're both around no matter which path you choose.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mokinokaro posted:

Their database was built so strangely that they can't allow it apparently.

My assumption is your nick is part of the primary key.

But strangely enough, as long as you take a new email-address, you can just make a new one. The drawback is (if you use a PS3, don't know if the PS4 still does this), you get presented a list of your nicks to log in to.

I guess it could become a hassle after you made your fourth or fifth account. :v:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

I would rather another ten pages of FE Fates arguing than ever see anyone from P4 mentioned again

what if i mention someone from persona 2

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's okay

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Sakurazuka posted:

That's okay

Okay, cool

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
This thread is my all time favorite thread. Even more than the vita thread.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

No, not really. She's just an incredibly poorly written character. Most of Fire Emblem Fates is poorly written. Most of the controversy over NoA handling the localization of it wouldn't exist if the game was just better written and less stupid to begin with.
that talk to the hand guy in Awakenings was p okay!

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
FE Fates is going to be cool and good, and even though I think splitting it up into 3 games was stupid I'm probably going to just download it anyway so what do I care.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Verranicus posted:

FE Fates is going to be cool and good, and even though I think splitting it up into 3 games was stupid I'm probably going to just download it anyway so what do I care.

It's 3 full games, like each game is bigger than most of the previous games in the franchise.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Morpheus posted:

So I might be playing Atelier Shallie soon, again - I played it a little bit beforehand, and chose green-haired lady since people were saying she's better. But from what I played (which was brief, maybe the first chapter or two), it seemed that most of the actual plot of the game was happening to dark-haired Shallie, and Green was just faffing about doing stuff because. Does this change later on?

I haven't beaten the game yet but they join up eventually so I'm guessing they pretty much follow the same big plot beats from then on.

By the way, the *minor spoiler* Dragon Battle theme was the first Shallie tune that came even close to matching the Ayesha OST, IMHO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYks_mK1Sfc

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Tae posted:

It's 3 full games, like each game is bigger than most of the previous games in the franchise.

Isn't the first half of the game shared and then it branches off for the different games? Plus they'll all have similar if not identical endgame levels where all the factions join together to kill the big bad. I'm willing to bet there's not as much unique content per game as people are hoping. I'm still gonna play all three, I'm just not getting my hopes up.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Verranicus posted:

Isn't the first half of the game shared and then it branches off for the different games? Plus they'll all have similar if not identical endgame levels where all the factions join together to kill the big bad. I'm willing to bet there's not as much unique content per game as people are hoping. I'm still gonna play all three, I'm just not getting my hopes up.

Only the first five chapters are wholly shared, and the teamup scenario is a third game unto itself. Each has its own endgame.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Verranicus posted:

The game has been out for like half a year in Japan, silly.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
There is barely any plot in Atelier Shallie, even by Atelier standards. One character has a slightly more plottish goal but the game is mostly faffing about until the one guy in the Dusk series that gives a poo poo shows up.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Verranicus posted:

Only about the first 5 chapters are the same. You make your choice, then you play about 35 unique stages after that.

Literally only the third path is when you team-up up everyone. The endgame for all 3 games are completely different.

Like, the game's been out for close to a year already. You are being worried over nothing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Verranicus posted:

People have literally played the game. Each path shares like 5 stages and then is almost completely unique. Some maps are shared between the games but they have completely different objectives and designs.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Nakar posted:

There is barely any plot in Atelier Shallie, even by Atelier standards. One character has a slightly more plottish goal but the game is mostly faffing about until the one guy in the Dusk series that gives a poo poo shows up.

I loved Ayesha, skipped the last 100 or so days in Escha&Logy since it was so drat easy, and I'm finding it REALLY hard to care about anything that happens in Shallie. Ayesha and E&L are some of the chillest games I've played but Shallie is down-right comatose. I hope the old bastard shows up for real soon. He was one of the best parts of Ayesha.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 16, 2016

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
The great part about Keith in Shallie is that Ayesha got him to switch to :420:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
I just got to where you unlock the watch your Wizard Girls bathe to level them up feature in Ar tonelico II.

So far the saving grace of this is that the protagonist is just as annoyed with this kind of poo poo as I am and is very vocal about it.

Does blonde pope lady have actual character arc or at least and option to eventually dump her for a third wizard?

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Feb 16, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You get a third wizard but she looks like a barely-dressed 10 year old girl so...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

You get a third wizard but she looks like a barely-dressed 10 year old girl so...

Is that in addition to the one you start with or so they add ANOTHER annoying child?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
If it's the one I'm thinking of she's thankfully not annoying.

She gets really awesome as you get to know her

Forest Thief Pud
Dec 26, 2011
All it really boils down to is that Fates took a route split, which is a common thing a lot of SRPGs do, and carved it up into separate releases because either IntSys is really bad at editing their work or the more likely answer is that Nintendo knew they can get away with dumb bullshit with their various years of built up good will and you'll have idiots defending practices like this because it's Nintendo/Fire Emblem attached.

It gets worst when you've got the special edition showing they could at least cram the first two onto a single physical cartridge, but won't make that the base game due to laziness, incompetence, good old fashioned greed, or a mixture of all three. There's DLC on top of that, because why not make you pay nearly 100-120 bucks for the complete game package at the end of the day. Not like anyone protesting at this point actually does much anyways, because this monstrosity sold like hotcakes and we can welcome our new future of other route splits in later Fire Emblem games being marketed as separate games.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

lol

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Forest Thief Pud posted:

All it really boils down to is that Fates took a route split, which is a common thing a lot of SRPGs do, and carved it up into separate releases because either IntSys is really bad at editing their work or the more likely answer is that Nintendo knew they can get away with dumb bullshit with their various years of built up good will and you'll have idiots defending practices like this because it's Nintendo/Fire Emblem attached.

It gets worst when you've got the special edition showing they could at least cram the first two onto a single physical cartridge, but won't make that the base game due to laziness, incompetence, good old fashioned greed, or a mixture of all three. There's DLC on top of that, because why not make you pay nearly 100-120 bucks for the complete game package at the end of the day. Not like anyone protesting at this point actually does much anyways, because this monstrosity sold like hotcakes and we can welcome our new future of other route splits in later Fire Emblem games being marketed as separate games.

I'm glad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

jfc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:gas:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Forest Thief Pud posted:

source your quotes

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If Intsys did the same thing for Advance Wars, I would gobble that poo poo up like the consumer whore that I am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

An individual section of Fire Emblem Fates is literally as long as a regular Fire Emblem game. They recycled some material but if they hadn't done that they wouldn't have created a game that was twice as long. They'd have created one game that was probably about as long as an individual Fire Emblem game and probably just a mishmash of the various ideas they ended up using for both games. It also would have probably been more like Birthright because Awakening was more popular than Literally Every Other Fire Emblem.

Yes, they could put both games on the same cart but that doesn't mean they would make both games. There's no reason for them to even. An individual FE:F game is as long as Awakening and if they'd just released Fire Emblem: Birthright nobody would have blinked an eye.