Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
By Night Studios seems to be pretty much doing their thing without talking much to OP, so who knows how close Paradox is paying attention?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Kurieg posted:

I'd be loving floored if they return the Get and Furies to their 1st ed portrayals. Literal Nazi Werewolves and militant cryptofeminists go.

For me it's more the emphasis on Europe, their note on how "radical fundamentalism" is something they want to touch in, and their weird hangup on "WORLD OF DARKNESS SHOULDA HAD A 9/11 SUPPLEMENT, COWARDS!" that has me thinking we are in for some incredible shitshow materials.

I have never played any of their video games though, so maybe they'll end up being real respectable about, poo poo, I dunno. But I do know that this hobby in general has been loving awful when it comes to just about anything that touches the Middle East.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Technocrachy did 9/11. Vampire Disciplines can't melt steel beams.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Can't wait for Wraith: the Twin Towers.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

It will be handled delicately and kindly, while World of Darkness: Mexicans will continue in the trend of the Gypsies line.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
He could just be referring to New York By Night consciously made no reference to 9/11, which was very much the right thing to do in 2002.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Pope Guilty posted:

He could just be referring to New York By Night consciously made no reference to 9/11, which was very much the right thing to do in 2002.

He could be referring to a lot of things, but how that interview actually reads is like someone opening a portal through time and space and going "Hello from the year 199X!"

I mean it's not even really worth making a fuss over since Onyx Path apparently gets to continue on continuing on like they've been and I don't give that much of a poo poo about WoD video games whether they're n or o, but that whole Q&A is a laugh and a half, c'mon. Technology is evil and urban fantasy is for pussies, 9/11 baby!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

The Exalted thing is bizarro too, since those connections were basically retconned out of both game lines pretty quickly, and when they were around they were nothing more than oblique references anyway.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Lightning Lord posted:

The Exalted thing is bizarro too, since those connections were basically retconned out of both game lines pretty quickly, and when they were around they were nothing more than oblique references anyway.

I mean I'll agree that the attempt to connect things probably shouldn't have been made in the first place if only because it undoubtedly led to that awful "The scientists have lied to you!" introduction to Exalted 1E.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Empress Theonora posted:

Well, at least they're leaving nWoD under OPP's stewardship instead of flushing it down the toilet. That's something, I guess.

poo poo, frankly I was worried the news would be worse. OPP gets to keep putting out the good stuff (provided Beast is a momentary hiccup, anyway) and I might even get to indulge in some Technocratic guilty pleasure.

Unless they go full 90s and go back to the Technocracy being monstrous automatons instead of (heavily) compromised idealists, I guess.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Kai Tave posted:

I mean I'll agree that the attempt to connect things probably shouldn't have been made in the first place if only because it undoubtedly led to that awful "The scientists have lied to you!" introduction to Exalted 1E.
I recall Exalted 1e claiming a single mote had more power than an atom bomb.

Which meant charms and such were INCREDIBLY inefficient given what one mote actually did.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zereth posted:

I recall Exalted 1e claiming a single mote had more power than an atom bomb.

Which meant charms and such were INCREDIBLY inefficient given what one mote actually did.

Well a lot of that is lost creating anima banners. Giant glowing animated totems don't create themselves, y'know.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Kai Tave posted:

The Twin Towers were already in Orpheus way back in 2004.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah, it only really got referenced on the back of the original corebook and by the Storyteller's Guide they're already backpedaling and saying "oh Exalted Isn't tied to th he WoD unless you want it to be". It's a weird thing to bring up because it never really impacted the WoD line itself AFAIK.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Considering the fact that the new season of the X-Files started off with a pretty big bomb of 9/11 trutherism, it would not surprise me if they touched it considering what they've said so far.

At least they're doing something with the IP I guess. :shrug: CCP always just seemed on the verge of running it into the ground but neglected the hell out of it. They also just wanted the name, the game they had planned used no aspects of Vampire the Masquerade or Requiem other than there are vampires and they do vampire things.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

What's the over-under on PI rebooting Kindred of the Ebony Kingdom?
Well seeing as how this is a yes/no thing rather than anything involving numbers, I'll go with no.5

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I for one am delighted to see a European company tackle a setting filled with racial stereotypes, some of whom are religious and Middle Eastern, in the 21st Century. If only so I can see how long it takes, in seconds, for them to lose their poo poo on twitter and say something absolutely horrific. I'm betting end of the first week after new Vampire comes out, tops.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Pope Guilty posted:

There's no reference because that would have been impossible.

NYBN's final printing was on 9/14/01. It was finished and in editing way before the attacks, and the only real dilemma they had was "Did we have anything similar happen in the book? No? Okay we can still sell this product we already have."

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pope Guilty posted:

I don't think it is anymore but Obsidian used to have a population of Black Isle->Troika->Obsidian folks.
I don't know how many Troika people they still have, but they still have Tim Cain at least.

Kavak posted:

One thread of hope to cling to is that if Obsidian is writing the story, they aren't going to play it straight- KOTOR II and Mask of the Betrayer basically told their respective settings they were full of poo poo. Though with Chris Avellone gone, I'm not sure if that's true anymore.
I don't think Avellone had much involvement with Mask of the Betrayer, though. I think he mostly just wrote Kaelyn the Dove. The lead designer of MotB was Kevin Saunders (now with inXile, working on Torment 2) and the creative lead was George Ziets (now a pemanent Kickstarter stretch-goal).

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
As someone who first gave Vampire a look in about 1996, pretty disappointing perspective on the IP there but its to be expected. Gotta say as a CtD fan it cuts doubly deep :smith:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

What I love about Elder Foot-in-Mouth of Clan Toreador's slam about the failures of White Wolf being the introduction of 'Fantasy' is that it pegs him as an arriviste to the fandom that really bought into the controversy of the day. Anyone who ignores the Ars Magica (87) and Dark Ages (96) inclusion into the Vampire game line to talk up Exalted (2001) and the absence of 9/11 is a late 90s fanger fanboy that never got over having to share attention with "that dirty anime game" younger brother.

Its all whatever, he bought the IP to win some canon arguments so lets enjoy whatever shameful Richard Dawkins hottakes he brings us in the coming year.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

As someone who first gave Vampire a look in about 1996, pretty disappointing perspective on the IP there but its to be expected. Gotta say as a CtD fan it cuts doubly deep :smith:

I'd not realized a self-aware CtD fan felt emotions beyond deep and abiding shame.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Boogaleeboo posted:

I for one am delighted to see a European company tackle a setting filled with racial stereotypes, some of whom are religious and Middle Eastern, in the 21st Century. If only so I can see how long it takes, in seconds, for them to lose their poo poo on twitter and say something absolutely horrific. I'm betting end of the first week after new Vampire comes out, tops.

WoD: Gypsies 2.0 in 5, 4, 3, 2...

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Mors Rattus posted:

I'd not realized a self-aware CtD fan felt emotions beyond deep and abiding shame.

I feel regret that it pissed away a promising premise and Tony DiTerlizzi art.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
That interview does not fill me with confidence, and that's as a huge oWoD fan. The rolling in of more current events to the story loving terrifies me, to be honest, because the combo of that plus 'I loved 1E vampire' is not a good one.

I enjoy the oWoDest of the oWoD as a historical curiosity, a 'hah gently caress the 90s were something else', the same way I enjoy the video clip for Haddaway's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhrBDcQq2DM What is Love, which is also early 90s as gently caress. The single best time of the oWoD came, other than its attempts to unfuck itself or carry on legacies that should have been abandoned, in 2002 - 2004. Bloodlines dropped for PC, the books were a whole lot better produced, better written, and better designed, Demon is legitimately one of my favourite RPGs of all time. 1991 era oWoD is the worst oWoD.

I remain cautiously optimistic because I'm a fan of Paradox anyway and, if they do it right, even a return to some of the older oWoD style could be okay - but it's a lot more of a red flag than going 'yeah we're going to basically be doing Revised, with some stuff from nWoD, and the cream of the crop from 1e and 2e' which was my ideal case scenario.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I'm confident that video game wise, Paradox is going to ignore everything but Vampire for years. It's pretty clear from the way the guy is talking that Vampire is what he's interested in and I don't think we're going to see cool Werewolf games any time soon. We will never see games for anything past Mage. I doubt this dude even knows Orpheus exists.

As for tabletop games, I cannot wait to see how intensely racist and weirdly nationalist this stuff gets.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
If they're going to make oWoD games, that's exactly the sort of doofus I want making them.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Pope Guilty posted:

WoD: Gypsies 2.0 in 5, 4, 3, 2...
I want this so bad and I am well aware of how terrible that makes me.

Speaking of, has anyone actually played WoD: Gypsies? I only remember reading bits and pieces of it a long time ago. I am curious if it played as bad as it read.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I'm reserving real judgement until i see some kind of release schedule and spoilers. Until then it's all intentions and ideas. I'll see how they plan to actually do this stuff.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Has Europe's gaming community been having the same scale of conversation about racism/sexism that we've been having over here?

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Has Europe's gaming community been having the same scale of conversation about racism/sexism that we've been having over here?

...I know of Jeepform (singular-event Nordic-inspired Larps) all the way over in America as a very leftist community on the whole. I don't know enough of their bog-standard tabletop + vampire LARP community in Europe to have them mentioned as anything notable. You also have to respect the possibility that the current owners became such as a reactionary impulse against the popularity of Those Nordic LARPers.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Gerund posted:

What I love about Elder Foot-in-Mouth of Clan Toreador's slam about the failures of White Wolf being the introduction of 'Fantasy' is that it pegs him as an arriviste to the fandom that really bought into the controversy of the day. Anyone who ignores the Ars Magica (87) and Dark Ages (96) inclusion into the Vampire game line to talk up Exalted (2001) and the absence of 9/11 is a late 90s fanger fanboy that never got over having to share attention with "that dirty anime game" younger brother.

For that matter, anybody who complains about the injection of high fantasy into the oWoD is obviously unfamiliar with Mage as it was actually played.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Never Forget

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
What book is the ratdragon with the AK-47 from?

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
So, what does the Shadow look like in and around the Pentagon? I'm working on a Demon one-shot that's going to involve breaking in via Rip the Gates, and I want ideas for striking images and unsettling spirits to harry the PCs.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

gtrmp posted:

Never Forget

What in the name of loving christ is that

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Faceless men - always white, brown haired, middle aged - in suits who are always in the peripheral vision, always watching, perhaps. The literal embodiment of the paranoid intelligence world. Worse - the one with a face they only see at the end of long corridors who raises a cellphone and reports on their movements. Maybe to nothing at all, but they'll instantly assume the God Machine knows - and if it doesn't send Angels and hellfire, they'll get paranoid and start to think it wants them to do the job, that even their revolt and their existence is part of the plan.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Doodmons posted:

That is pre-MCU Nick Fury with no shirt facing off with some rear end in a top hat who can't coordinate his footwear with the rest of his wardrobe, because who wears combat boots with a kimono?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kellsterik posted:

So, what does the Shadow look like in and around the Pentagon? I'm working on a Demon one-shot that's going to involve breaking in via Rip the Gates, and I want ideas for striking images and unsettling spirits to harry the PCs.
I would imagine constant whispering and threatening shadows, with entire choirs of strategy-spirits plotting against each other while secrecy spirits desperately try to prevent them from knowing or enacting each others' attempts to eat each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Doodmons posted:

Mage: the Ascension Umbra Action Playset

A Wal-Mart exclusive for 1993! The Umbra comes to life with wizard warriors like Progenitor Lizargh and Bathrobe Samurai. (Other figures like M-1666, Agent Washboard Abs, and Virtucycle not included.) Includes Rock of Mages and Technocrat Terrorwall play bases, and lenticular Bygone Battle backdrop.

50 D 37474--Wt. 2 lbs. 1 oz...$28.99