Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Do you have a source for that? I remember hearing that was debunked.

I think there have been conflicting reports, so it's probably still up in the air. I personally believe in limiting intake of artificial sweeteners, but I have no solid evidence at the moment.

Me, I love plain water, but if I need a little more, a squirt of fresh lemon/lime juice is the best thing. I do sometimes drink diet soda at work, but that has more to do with caffeine consumption then anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

I think there have been conflicting reports, so it's probably still up in the air. I personally believe in limiting intake of artificial sweeteners, but I have no solid evidence at the moment.

Me, I love plain water, but if I need a little more, a squirt of fresh lemon/lime juice is the best thing. I do sometimes drink diet soda at work, but that has more to do with caffeine consumption then anything else

The reports I've seen said it's only partially debunked, it really -does- behave that way for a subset of the population, but there's no telling who without testing it directly.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

aka placebo. See gluten, msg, other things.

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/17/artificial-sweeteners-may-disrupt-bodys-blood-sugar-controls/

There is consensus that sugar alcohols do definitively raise blood sugar, though.

To me, the biggest benefit of getting off soda and sugar and artificial sweeteners is to get your palate acclimated to less sweet poo poo. Our palates are hosed.

psychokitty fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 16, 2016

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My issue with any of those sweeteners on mice is that they end up consuming vastly more of the artificial sweetener than even the biggest die hard soda person would. I couldn't view the articles behind the nature.com paywall, but I know at least when it was artificial sweeteners => cancer, the mice were given the equivalent of an IV drip of the stuff or something absurd. A change in your GI bacteria due to a change in diet is, unless I'm completely mistaken, a truism.

/e- A response to that study. http://www.foodinsight.org/blogs/mice-and-media-credulous-response-iffy-sweetener-study

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Feb 16, 2016

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

psychokitty posted:

To me, the biggest benefit of getting off soda and sugar and artificial sweeteners is to get your palate acclimated to less sweet poo poo. Our palates are hosed.

Oh, THIS. Working with international clients, they always complain about sweet EVERYTHING is here in the USA. The Aussies in particular complained about how sweet our regular bread is.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That I agree with, but saying artificial sweeteners are dangerous or will increase your blood sugar is wrong.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012
Chicken stock question! Last night I roasted a chicken. After I took the chicken out of the pan I poured all of the drippings into a Pyrex and put it in the fridge to save the fat. Today I separated all the meat from the bones and shredded it up. When I put the bones and vegetables in a pot I took the pan dripping container out to get the fat off the top. Then under that I found this hardcore delicious-looking chicken dripping jello. Can I just pour that into the stock with the bones?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I do

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

detectivemonkey posted:

Chicken stock question! Last night I roasted a chicken. After I took the chicken out of the pan I poured all of the drippings into a Pyrex and put it in the fridge to save the fat. Today I separated all the meat from the bones and shredded it up. When I put the bones and vegetables in a pot I took the pan dripping container out to get the fat off the top. Then under that I found this hardcore delicious-looking chicken dripping jello. Can I just pour that into the stock with the bones?

Yes, it's got tons of chickeny goodness.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yes, it's got tons of chickeny goodness.

Ok good because that was more of a "should I have done that" question.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I put everything of a chicken that doesn't go directly into my mouth directly into the stockpot instead. I hope that's the right way to go about things.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wookums posted:

That I agree with, but saying artificial sweeteners are dangerous or will increase your blood sugar is wrong.

There is definitely the potential, in some people, for artificial sweeteners to make you more at risk to metabolic diseases like diabetes which was unexpected.

http://www.nature.com/news/sugar-substitutes-linked-to-obesity-1.15938

It's probably safe to say that it's still better than just eating a high-sugar diet, but it's not going to be completely effective.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Long term, non cohort, studies with > 7 people disagree with that though.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Carl Killer Miller posted:

Yeah, I've got some ideas but first off what's been coming out 'wrong' in your homemade dishes?

I've tried a couple different chili garlic sauces but they are never as spicy as the pictured dish. Mostly just taste the garlic and not the chilis. I've also never got the color right. Can't figure out what's making that red color.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Rikimaru posted:

I've tried a couple different chili garlic sauces but they are never as spicy as the pictured dish. Mostly just taste the garlic and not the chilis. I've also never got the color right. Can't figure out what's making that red color.

Some places are happy to use food dye.

Have you tried asking them directly for the recipe?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Cavenagh posted:

Yeah, the internet says they use something called Red Yeast Powder/Rice.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

psychokitty posted:

I'm not saying to do any sort of crazy cleanse or anything, but if a person can go a month and work fine off of straight up proteins and veggies with no added sugar, a palate reset is as simple as that. Eat an orange after a month of super clean eating like that and it will be the best orange ever.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

My suggestion of hot tea was 100% serious. Everyone should drink a lot more delicious piping hot tea.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

psychokitty posted:

Don't drink artificial sweeteners. If you have to switch for "health reasons," chances are the artificial sweeteners will have the same negative impact as sugar (as in, will also raise your blood sugar.)

Joining the sparkling water bandwagon as well. There are so many delicious flavors, and after you get off soda, they actually start to taste sweet to you.

Everything I've seen says the "raising your blood sugar" only applies to the artificial sweeteners with non-zero calories.

Most theories onto the "why" it's happening for the rest point toward the gut having the same kind of receptors for sweetness your tongue has, which result in the release of insulin, making you feel like crap and hungry if you use artificial sweeteners without sugar.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wookums posted:

Long term, non cohort, studies with > 7 people disagree with that though.

They did a microbiome study on sugar vs sugar substitute diets from a larger group of subjects? Got a link? Could use that data for some analysis

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/early/2011/12/26/ajcn.111.022533.full.pdf

May not be exactly what you want.

Kenzo
Jun 29, 2004

Tekseta!

Cavenagh posted:

I did but they more or less cited the menu :(

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Water chat - I'm a fan of Mio and the various "water enhancer" flavoring things. Artificial sweeteners, but they're good for cutting back/out soda.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
So I tried cooking this recipe tonight. No brisket in sight at the grocery store, so I substituted with a thick flank steak instead and downsized the recipe. I know BBQ nerds think of substituting brisket as sacrilege but since this is more of a broil I figured it was fair game.

http://forward.com/food/165211/shabbat-meals-west-african-brisket/

It ended up being loving delicious, so obviously it worked. But I'm curious what people typically substitute for brisket. Apparently flank steak is too thin to be a good substitute according to the online hive mind, but in my mind it seemed like a good idea because they both have heavy grains so you can get some similar textures (although brisket of course is way more fatty and melt in your mouth). What do you guys think?

As a Canadian, the only brisket on the shelf was stuff already seasoned to be made into corn beef so that was kinda lame.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

endlessmonotony posted:

Everything I've seen says the "raising your blood sugar" only applies to the artificial sweeteners with non-zero calories.

Most theories onto the "why" it's happening for the rest point toward the gut having the same kind of receptors for sweetness your tongue has, which result in the release of insulin, making you feel like crap and hungry if you use artificial sweeteners without sugar.

well, if that last theory was true, artificial sweeteners would lower your blood sugar, not raise it.

Anyway, both are nonesense; these artificial sweeteners were tested before being used in food products and they do not raise or lower your blood sugar.
That said, it is still not a great idea to use them: just eat and drink normal stuff.

oh, and in a completely unrelated note:
one artificial sweetener, namely xylitol, does lower the blood sugar in dogs....as in: "hey, my dog stopped living, what happened??

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Squashy Nipples posted:

Oh, THIS. Working with international clients, they always complain about sweet EVERYTHING is here in the USA. The Aussies in particular complained about how sweet our regular bread is.

Probably because of how much sugar you put in your bread. From five minutes of pissing about on google, looks like we have on average half the amount of sugar in our standard issue generic white bread. Also I've seen poo poo like fruit salad recipes which call for half a cup of sugar or some poo poo. I don't get it? It's fruit bro, loving cut the fruit up and eat it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DumbparameciuM posted:

Probably because of how much sugar you put in your bread. From five minutes of pissing about on google, looks like we have on average half the amount of sugar in our standard issue generic white bread. Also I've seen poo poo like fruit salad recipes which call for half a cup of sugar or some poo poo. I don't get it? It's fruit bro, loving cut the fruit up and eat it.

You should see what we put in our macaroni salad.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

You should see what we put in our macaroni salad.

Arrgg, beaten.

We also like to breathe heavily while cooking.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
I put a tablespoon of sugar per 500g flour into bread dough because I was told it would make the bread rise faster, is that bad? :ohdear:

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Gerblyn posted:

I put a tablespoon of sugar per 500g flour into bread dough because I was told it would make the bread rise faster, is that bad? :ohdear:

No, not bad... but not necessary. Extra sugar speeds up the yeasties, but if you are patient, they will eat the flour.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Gerblyn posted:

What nips said -- yeah it will rise faster, but in general things will be more tasty and awesome if the yeast eat long carbs that are breaking down, not crack cocaine.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

How does all of this artificial sweetener business relate to diet soda? Does diet soda make you fat like regular soda?

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Squashy Nipples posted:

No, not bad... but not necessary. Extra sugar speeds up the yeasties, but if you are patient, they will eat the flour.

Turkeybone posted:

What nips said -- yeah it will rise faster, but in general things will be more tasty and awesome if the yeast eat long carbs that are breaking down, not crack cocaine.

Well, I am not a patient man! But I guess if it makes the bread taste better, I should give it a go with a longer rise and no sugar. I wanted to try out making a wholemeal/seeded loaf this weekend anyway as part of my New Healthier Lifestyle (tm).

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

How does all of this artificial sweetener business relate to diet soda? Does diet soda make you fat like regular soda?

Some people say yes, but AFAIK there is no good evidence to support this and you can drink as much diet soda as your heart desires. I personally live on DMD and DDP.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

No it does not. However if you're "watching your weight" and getting a diet soda to go along with your Big Mac and large fry for lunch five times a week, yes you will get fat. It's not the diet soda's fault.

Carl Killer Miller
Apr 28, 2007

This is the way that it all falls.
This is how I feel,
This is what I need:

Rikimaru posted:

Honestly it's probably red food coloring of some kind. A lot of korean bbq places add it to their meat. Have you been using sriracha-type stuff?

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010

It may not make you fat, but it is much worse for your teeth. Many artificial sweeteners are far sweeter than sugar, so they add more acid to balance flavor. Water should be your primary drink, and everything else should be a treat and enjoyed as such.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Dumb "is it safe" question:

The internet says vinegar can preserve meat etc. but doesn't say for how long.

If you leave chicken cooked with vinegar inside the pot with the vinegar stew at room temperature, how long can it sit there? I would normally not leave it there at all but it's not my cooking. I have no idea if it adds minutes, hours, days etc. to how long it's safe to eat.

Specifically it's adobo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

AbortRetryFail posted:

Dumb "is it safe" question:

The internet says vinegar can preserve meat etc. but doesn't say for how long.

If you leave chicken cooked with vinegar inside the pot with the vinegar stew at room temperature, how long can it sit there? I would normally not leave it there at all but it's not my cooking. I have no idea if it adds minutes, hours, days etc. to how long it's safe to eat.

Specifically it's adobo.
Adobo isn't acidic enough to have any meaningful antimicrobial effect.