Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Get yourself a set of bluetooth enabled gun muffs/shop headset and laugh all the way to the bank. No wires to look sketchy, and it's easy enough to use. I love my set.

linky?

Update on the Office 365 Tenant situation.

Apparently we had 5004 Student licenses lying around unused on a tenant, that was why Microsoft was reluctant to move our corporate licenses there. The odd thing is we never got a bill for those licenses either, or we'd have discovered them almost instantly.

Oh well, all's well that ends well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

http://peltorcomms.3m.com/world/Product.asp?PageNumber=934&Product_Id=287&ProductCategory_Id=39

I have the version without Bluetooth and they're great. They're active limiting, so you still hear what's going on around you, but loud sounds are attenuated. I can have people around me blasting magnum loads and still hear someone talking at a normal level.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Feb 16, 2016

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

stubblyhead posted:

Getting an IM from your boss first thing in the morning asking you to call him is seldom a good thing.

Pah, call me when you get an invite to an urgent 'all-hands' teleconference from your CEO at short notice.

(to which my colleague speculated 'is he announcing his departure?'. By email. To the CEO's personal address by accident)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

spog posted:

Pah, call me when you get an invite to an urgent 'all-hands' teleconference from your CEO at short notice.

(to which my colleague speculated 'is he announcing his departure?'. By email. To the CEO's personal address by accident)

My favourite was an innocuous team meeting two and a half hours away from my usual work location that I considered not going to. It turned out to be notice that they were shredding the department and I was being made redundant.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bob Morales posted:

Two different people printed out something and scanned it in, then emailed it out. First was a Visio document, the other was a KB article from a vendor.

Print to PDF. Export to image. Anything except print it out and then scan it in, dithered B&W, at a super low resolution.

:argh:

That's amazing.

I once received a word document containing a jpeg of a scan of a printout of a google maps image that had some hand written notes on it. It was just one X a map to show where the camera was going to go. It was something like a 150MB file since he scanned the black and white print out in some crazy high resolution.

Fil5000 posted:

My favourite was an innocuous team meeting two and a half hours away from my usual work location that I considered not going to. It turned out to be notice that they were shredding the department and I was being made redundant.

My company fired my boss, he called in that morning randomly to take sick day, and they said "no you better just come in." The boss they fired previously was weird too. It was the end of the day on Wednesday and we were working late. At like 7, the two of us got up to leave, and his director said "Hey, Mark, before you leave, let me have a minute." I went out to the elevator, and Mark was like "just hold on I'll just be a sec." I stood for like five minutes. I poked my head in and the director said "Just go."

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Bob Morales posted:

Two different people printed out something and scanned it in, then emailed it out. First was a Visio document, the other was a KB article from a vendor.

Print to PDF. Export to image. Anything except print it out and then scan it in, dithered B&W, at a super low resolution.

:argh:

I remember once a field rep E-mailed in a contract image from his phone, he then printed it, scanned the print out, printed it out again with a less scale, then scan/emailed it to himself... all because he wanted the picture a bit smaller.

I mean I suppose its one way of doing it, but drat :psyduck:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Fil5000 posted:

It would be hard to forgive any company that makes you drive 2.5 hours to be fired. Great way for them to burn bridges and get some lovely feedback on social media.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Judge Schnoopy posted:

It would be hard to forgive any company that makes you drive 2.5 hours to be fired. Great way for them to burn bridges and get some lovely feedback on social media.

Because I'm in the uk it was the start of the "consultation period" where they told us our jobs would be gone in six months and to let us know our options and potential redundancy packages. As it was I worked out my six months entirely from home, did very little work, collected a pretty good final paycheque (ten years service at 3.5 weeks salary per year was nice) and went straight into another job. It was a poo poo day but it worked out ok.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Judge Schnoopy posted:

When I quit that awful job, I gave two weeks notice, but then I was committed to come in for a project the weekend between the two weeks. It was right after SUPER STORM SANDY, so NJ<->NYC metro was all messed up. I had a train pass, so I could have taken a 2.5 hour train ride in and out, or I could take a half hour drive since there's no traffic Saturday morning. I drove in, parked, and worked until like 11pm. Then I drove home. I expensed milage, tolls, and parking (about $70). When I turned in my last expense report (which was already about $750), my manager rejected the driving expenses from that day since I could have taken the train, but I chose not to, and I didn't get approval to drive in before hand. I've done that exact thing a million times, so whatever. It was complete garbage.

So, almost a full year after I quit, I get an email from the accounts guy at that job. Turns out I made an error on that expense sheet. I had traveled to Seattle right before Sandy for a customer (over a week I had already put in for vacation and had to cancel a bunch of non-refundable plans). I expensed my hotel stay, but I gave the hotel statement with the deposit on it ($375) by mistake. The hotel charged me that temporally, as they do, but then refunded me. I didn't notice since it was a week at an expensive hotel, so it was already like $1500. Anyways, the client main office was in NYC, and was totally shutdown for months. They finally reopened and starting going through their backlog of paper, and found the bill from my company for my trip. The bill for some reason included my expense report (with receipts for :psyduck: reasons). The client caught the error and paid the bill minus my deposit.

The account guy sends me an email asking for the $375 back. I sort of scoff, since it's been a year. He pushes, and since you know, honestly it is money that I received in error, and if I found a $375 error a year later I'd 100% contact them and try to get it. I agreed to pay them back, but minus the $75 they refused to pay me back from my final expenses. Then for the next six months I mailed them $50 a month. I skipped a bunch of months, and made him email me four or five times each month. I also asked for a receipt and something in writing that acknowledged that we were official done, and they wouldn't do it. He said that "Quickbooks does work that way, and since i"m not really paying an invoice there's no way to show money going back in." Whatever.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

spog posted:

Had one of those too about three years ago, and on a Sunday no less. At least I was still employed after that one, even if there was a different signature on the paycheck. It did mark the beginning of the end for that job, though.

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Manager is pretty spineless to let that happen after specifically requesting otherwise. Talking to the training department, rejecting the meeting requests for the staff, or even just holding them and telling them not to show up would have all been better choices than "ohh well poo poo I guess I have no power here and my department will have to suffer"

Yeah. All training scheduling got sent out over Outlook with the managers CCed so he was full aware. I don't know if he was spineless in so much as IDGAF instead. *shrug*
Blah, at least it's over with. Except we do have more training this week for the same.

Things not pissing me off: last quarter I made top performer in my department. I apparently do get a bonus off of it.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Talked with the shop manager, he says I'm allowed to use one earbud or just use a speaker. Brought in a portable speaker and it's working better than I thought. Regardless though...

Tigren posted:

Once you calm down and take a deep breath, you'll realize this isn't a conservative conspiracy to break the will of a disabled person, but more than likely a company following OSHA guidelines.
Get bent.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

stubblyhead posted:

Had one of those too about three years ago, and on a Sunday no less. At least I was still employed after that one, even if there was a different signature on the paycheck. It did mark the beginning of the end for that job, though.

I got an "Important department meeting, please attend remote even if you're on vacation!!!" when I was out for a week (ordered by my boss, no less) after working 3 weeks straight after one week on the job during our security incident.

Turns out we weren't getting fired, but the subject had me wondering for a while.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

There's a fair big difference in situational awareness in a factory environment with music from a speaker, earplugs/earpro and music in earbuds.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

luminalflux posted:

There's a fair big difference in situational awareness in a factory environment with music from a speaker, earplugs/earpro and music in earbuds.

Yep. Earplugs just muffle noises, you can still hear most everything with them in. They exist so you don't destroy your hearing.

Headphones muffle the environment AND pump new noise into your ears, creating isolation from the world around you. They exist so you can hear a noise and no one else can.

I can't imagine headphones in an industrial setting being a safe option for anyone.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Pissing me off: User needs a new 2 prong plug with a standard cable and IT keeps all universal power cables. It's for a shredder not going to question what happened to the old one, we only have 1 2 prong sing most things use 3. Get there the cord is wrapped in electrical tape and is actually a 3 prong with the ground cut off. Where is the ground? It's stuck in the outlet. User wants me to modify the replacement cable. I got maintenance to instead cut power and pull the prong out of the outlet with pliers and I replaced it with an unmangled cable.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

pixaal posted:

Pissing me off: User needs a new 2 prong plug with a standard cable and IT keeps all universal power cables. It's for a shredder not going to question what happened to the old one, we only have 1 2 prong sing most things use 3. Get there the cord is wrapped in electrical tape and is actually a 3 prong with the ground cut off. Where is the ground? It's stuck in the outlet. User wants me to modify the replacement cable. I got maintenance to instead cut power and pull the prong out of the outlet with pliers and I replaced it with an unmangled cable.

The two things I have learned as absolutes in IT: Never gently caress with somebody else's network, and never ever gently caress with power.

How the gently caress does it even enter into somebodies mind that cutting the ground pin off a power cable is the best solution?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The two things I have learned as absolutes in IT: Never gently caress with somebody else's network, and never ever gently caress with power.

How the gently caress does it even enter into somebodies mind that cutting the ground pin off a power cable is the best solution?

I nearly blew myself up with a APC Symmetra. It was a medium size one, about as big as a half rack. The building (which was ran by a turkish crime family) had a direct three phase 208v line ran from the street feed right up to my clients trading floor. APC sent someone to install the Symmetra he didn't have the backplane modules. They mailed them too me, and told me how to put the machine in safety mode to install them. I followed their instructions, and installed the first module. It went fine, so I installed the second. As I pushed the second one in, I noticed a piece of tape on it, so I moved it slightly to the left to get at, and I shorted out the hot lead on the module with the case of the Symmetra. The resulting spark blew me against the back way, knocked me silly for a second, and melted a nickel sized hole in the metal. The entire floor lost power. My coworker ran in and found me sort of dazed on the floor and thought I was dead.

The breaker was so hot it had to sit for about ten minutes before it would re-engage.

I learned a few things that day.
1) Don't mess with power
2) Check for power before you mess with live high voltage gear
3) The building didn't actually run a dedicated run from the basement and street up to their space, they just jumped off the existing master breaker for the floor

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I don't gently caress with high voltage, period. I will plug something in to a wall plug and that is all. Go get a licensed electrician if you want anything else.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

I nearly blew myself up with a APC Symmetra. It was a medium size one, about as big as a half rack. The building (which was ran by a turkish crime family) had a direct three phase 208v line ran from the street feed right up to my clients trading floor. APC sent someone to install the Symmetra he didn't have the backplane modules. They mailed them too me, and told me how to put the machine in safety mode to install them. I followed their instructions, and installed the first module. It went fine, so I installed the second. As I pushed the second one in, I noticed a piece of tape on it, so I moved it slightly to the left to get at, and I shorted out the hot lead on the module with the case of the Symmetra. The resulting spark blew me against the back way, knocked me silly for a second, and melted a nickel sized hole in the metal. The entire floor lost power. My coworker ran in and found me sort of dazed on the floor and thought I was dead.

The breaker was so hot it had to sit for about ten minutes before it would re-engage.

I learned a few things that day.
1) Don't mess with power
2) Check for power before you mess with live high voltage gear
3) The building didn't actually run a dedicated run from the basement and street up to their space, they just jumped off the existing master breaker for the floor

Sounds like my second day at my current job, my predecessor had 2 days left before he was leaving and was running through day to day stuff. AC goes out. The guy decides to go outside and gently caress with the giant fuses in the main chiller. Pops in the spare and the thing sparks. He was able to avoid any noticeable damage to himself and the chiller. I suggested that we call a HVAC person but he turned it on instead and it ran, for about 20 minutes then the fuse blew again.

I'm in no way expected to touch that thing (I made drat sure of it after that).

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Someone reported a problem. I responded back, requesting very basic information (including whether or not the problem was still occurring, because the trouble device had since been rebooted anyway). Not one of my questions was concerning their whereabouts or availability.

Their response - "I am in my office now."

That's nice.

Skandranon
Sep 6, 2008
fucking stupid, dont listen to me

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

Someone reported a problem. I responded back, requesting very basic information (including whether or not the problem was still occurring, because the trouble device had since been rebooted anyway). Not one of my questions was concerning their whereabouts or availability.

Their response - "I am in my office now."

That's nice.

They are ready to receive you.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
This email just came from a client:

quote:

Can you check to do a server level block if we know the subnet of the client IP’s?

those are the subnet

My answer was no.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
poo poo pissing me off: WDS not recognising a sysprepped partition so I can suck up an image for deployment. Volume to capture is just blank.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

skooma512 posted:

poo poo pissing me off: WDS not recognising a sysprepped partition so I can suck up an image for deployment. Volume to capture is just blank.

I feel like WDS is just too under developed. I only use WDS to push my MDT boot image these days. Imaging is just better in MDT.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Sickening posted:

I feel like WDS is just too under developed. I only use WDS to push my MDT boot image these days. Imaging is just better in MDT.

This. It's baffling how WDS is incredibly lovely at injecting drivers into an image (and requires signed drivers) while MDT will do it flawlessly without any fuss. For some reason the mechanism is completely different.

I just develop the image in MDT and mount it in WDS for PXE boot. That's it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

This. It's baffling how WDS is incredibly lovely at injecting drivers into an image (and requires signed drivers) while MDT will do it flawlessly without any fuss. For some reason the mechanism is completely different.

I just develop the image in MDT and mount it in WDS for PXE boot. That's it.

Yep. You can basically update your MDT as needed and then replace the WDS boot disk as it changes.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Through trial and error I concluded that that is the only way to do it.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
Even more baffling is how WDS will fail on certain signed drivers yet you can inject the drivers into the image via DISM without any problems.

I think Sickening said it best: it's immature. How long has WDS been around, anyway?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

Even more baffling is how WDS will fail on certain signed drivers yet you can inject the drivers into the image via DISM without any problems.

I think Sickening said it best: it's immature. How long has WDS been around, anyway?

A long loving time. The problem is that SCCM makes $$$ and microsoft would prefer you use it instead. I am still surprised MDT gets support at all at this point.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

A long loving time. The problem is that SCCM makes $$$ and microsoft would prefer you use it instead. I am still surprised MDT gets support at all at this point.

I'm just glad it does. It's incredibly easy to set up. I got the new version going a few weeks ago so we could start deploying Windows 10 and it took me like 30 minutes once I had my images captured.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I'm just glad it does. It's incredibly easy to set up. I got the new version going a few weeks ago so we could start deploying Windows 10 and it took me like 30 minutes once I had my images captured.

I think the hardest part to learn about MDT is how to start injecting windows update into your base windows installation. This is only made difficult because of the 5 different ways you can do it and some updates killing your windows installation without warning.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Sickening posted:

I think the hardest part to learn about MDT is how to start injecting windows update into your base windows installation. This is only made difficult because of the 5 different ways you can do it and some updates killing your windows installation without warning.

The MDT update process could be a little cleaner, there were a number of things that the 2013 Update 1 upgrade broke, including the ZTIWinRe task sequence piece that is still in-place even on newly generated task sequences despite being deprecated. They were easy fixes, but still.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
GettingFiredChat:

A few jobs ago, the company downsized by sending out two meeting invites. Both were at the same time but one was in room A the other was in room B.

Everyone in room A was fired and everyone in room B was safe. As we were standing in room B being told our jobs were safe, a coworker of mine arrived about ten minutes late, saw me in a room an walked in. The CFO told him, "Hey X, you are in the other room."

It was weird knowing that he was walking into a meeting to be fired.

I survived when the company went from 200 to 100. I survived when the company went from 100 to 75. I survived when the company went from 75 to 12. I finally got canned when they went from 12 to 1. What a surreal experience that job was.

Urit
Oct 22, 2010
The reverse of GettingFiredChat:

poo poo that pisses me off right now: Recruiters. Every company has the same script, they're all the same boring, awful style. It's like there was a Guide to Recruiting that they all read that has the same checklist. I just want a job that pays me me money, I don't care about your Machine Learning Predictive Analytics Stack to Engage The Consumer With Advertising. I can keep your servers running, I can do magic to make things set themselves up, but my god I do not care about the Vision Of The Company unless it's something actually cool like the TOR Project.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Agrikk posted:

GettingFiredChat:

A few jobs ago, the company downsized by sending out two meeting invites. Both were at the same time but one was in room A the other was in room B.

I had a job do something similar once, though the percentage cut was much smaller. One of the guys that was let go sat a few cubes over from me, and I don't think I ever saw him again after that.

Also, it occurred to me earlier today that this is the first time I've ever lost my job instead of quitting to move somewhere else. I worked Christmas rush at a bookstore once in high school, and they just kind of quit calling me to come in, but that doesn't count in my opinion.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Urit posted:

The reverse of GettingFiredChat:

poo poo that pisses me off right now: Recruiters. Every company has the same script, they're all the same boring, awful style. It's like there was a Guide to Recruiting that they all read that has the same checklist. I just want a job that pays me me money, I don't care about your Machine Learning Predictive Analytics Stack to Engage The Consumer With Advertising. I can keep your servers running, I can do magic to make things set themselves up, but my god I do not care about the Vision Of The Company unless it's something actually cool like the TOR Project.
Yeah, I had always wondered why companies did that, and couldn't imagine someone actually buying into having so much smoke blown up their rear end; then that New York Times article came out several months ago, followed by this rebuttal, which is basically IBuyIntoCorporateBullshit.txt.

So, the reason they do that poo poo is because there are--amazingly--people out there who buy into it. PT Barnum was right.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

Agrikk posted:

GettingFiredChat:

Everyone in room A was fired and everyone in room B was safe. As we were standing in room B being told our jobs were safe, a coworker of mine arrived about ten minutes late, saw me in a room an walked in. The CFO told him, "Hey X, you are in the other room."

It was weird knowing that he was walking into a meeting to be fired.

I survived when the company went from 200 to 100. I survived when the company went from 100 to 75. I survived when the company went from 75 to 12. I finally got canned when they went from 12 to 1. What a surreal experience that job was.

I don't really have any funny stories. But reading this made me realize I have two absolutes with jobs - I always get the job after an interview and I never survive a downsizing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Agrikk posted:

GettingFiredChat:

Yeah, we had something similar a while back. Everyone getting fired got an outlook invite to a meeting in the main meeting room, everyone who wasn't, didn't.
Didn't take people long to figure out what was up, but noone knew if it was good or bad to be in the meeting...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

Email from Bossman:
(Translated from German)

quote:

Von: CEO
Gesendet: Freitag, 12. Februar 2016 12:30
An: All Department Heads
Subject: Financial Situation
Priority: High

Dear Sirs and Madams,

with regards to the financial situation of the hospital, as of now the following is decided:

- No hiring
- No investments will be made

- I need a list of all employees in their probationary period
- I need a list of all employees with time limited contracts

- All invoices over 50€ (Fifty) have to be signed by me to be paid
- All training courses are cancelled, unless the employee pays for them

Thanks.

This is gonna be fun.