Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Right now customization isn't really in. You make a character in a faction. Within the faction, you pick a sub-faction (in this case a chapter/legion). That combined with your class (Tactical, Assault, etc) determine what your guy looks like.

Loyalist side you can play as Ultramarines, Blood Angels and I think Dark Angels. Space Wolves aren't in yet, and currently the choice is purely cosmetic as far as I am aware.
Traitors I can't remember. I want to say Black Legion, Word Bearers and someone else? They have a 4th that isn't unlocked yet too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowstomper
Oct 16, 2005

Zaodai posted:

Right now customization isn't really in. You make a character in a faction. Within the faction, you pick a sub-faction (in this case a chapter/legion). That combined with your class (Tactical, Assault, etc) determine what your guy looks like.

Loyalist side you can play as Ultramarines, Blood Angels and I think Dark Angels. Space Wolves aren't in yet, and currently the choice is purely cosmetic as far as I am aware.
Traitors I can't remember. I want to say Black Legion, Word Bearers and someone else? They have a 4th that isn't unlocked yet too.

The Chaos Marine chapters are Black Legion, Word Bearers, Night Lords, and the unimplemented Iron Warriors.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowstomper posted:

The Chaos Marine chapters are Black Legion, Word Bearers, Night Lords, and the unimplemented Iron Warriors.

Alpha Legion also. Each faction will have 5.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Cowstomper posted:

Do they keep the iconic look of the chapters, or is it just color scheme? For instance, do Iron Warriors have the 30k facemasks? Do Ultramarines have laurels, etc?

Cowstomper
Oct 16, 2005

Kimsemus posted:

Do they keep the iconic look of the chapters, or is it just color scheme? For instance, do Iron Warriors have the 30k facemasks? Do Ultramarines have laurels, etc?

It's just color scheme at the moment, unfortunately.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Cowstomper posted:

It's just color scheme at the moment, unfortunately.

Yeah, the customization system isn't in yet. They do have a bunch of boxes on the loadout menu for accessories though. You'll get to play space barbie dressup at some point.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kimsemus posted:

They will once the customization is in. Currently the only sub-faction that has it is the SM who have the various helmet colors per marine role, I forget the name. Night Lords got their weird rear end energy shield for a while but it was causing problems.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Meltas are in, they uh, they look like a thing. 5:20 if that video doesn't load quite right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoChz8NGbmk

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Well that is apparently how they're supposed to work.
What's going to be the shotgun analogue now, though?

Orv
May 4, 2011
I mean more in terms of the balance nightmare I'm sure that will end up being. I could give less of a poo poo about the fluff reasons.

As for the shotgun that's sorta kinda taken by storm/combi bolters, at least in role and effect.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
That kind of looks more like a flamer than a metla gun but... okay.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The producer was amusingly adamant that GW told them to do it exactly that way.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think at least part of it is balance, because it makes Meltas fine against vehicles but a bitch to use against infantry.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
It's generally described in the books as an invisible heat ray which is not really what you'd want in a pvp game. Though invisible death rays would be amusing for a few minutes.

Orv posted:

The producer was amusingly adamant that GW told them to do it exactly that way.

I'm surprised anyone from GW is even paying attention to one of the many games they've licensed.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

robziel posted:

I'm surprised anyone from GW is even paying attention to one of the many games they've licensed.

You might think given GW's release of things like Warhammer 40k Chess that they do not care about anything but that is completely incorrect. You can guarantee that someone at GW had several dozen fingers in even the pie of Warhammer 40k Plants vs Zombies.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

randombattle posted:

You might think given GW's release of things like Warhammer 40k Chess that they do not care about anything but that is completely incorrect. You can guarantee that someone at GW had several dozen fingers in even the pie of Warhammer 40k Plants vs Zombies.

I was actually thinking of this http://store.steampowered.com/app/254650/ I could at least see myself picking up Regicide to play against a friend if it were on deep sale.

Ben Smash
Aug 22, 2005

LARDROOM
Grimey Drawer
Is anybody going to poo poo their pants if I write a legit thread this weekend? I just got EC last night and it has pretty strong potential and I give enough shits to write a decent OP.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Funny how this game will never been an MMO now.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Go for it.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

robziel posted:

That kind of looks more like a flamer than a metla gun but... okay.

To be fair, it's internally consistent with how Melta guns were portrayed in Dawn of War 1. I'm fine with it having a burney/flamey particle effect because melta guns are basically 'roided out welding torches to begin with.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
Shouldn't a new OP be made in the games section? Since this game has no MMO qualities whatsoever now.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

robziel posted:

I was actually thinking of this http://store.steampowered.com/app/254650/ I could at least see myself picking up Regicide to play against a friend if it were on deep sale.

Regicide has the best trailers. It's so very hard to take them seriously given that at least one of them amps the grim darkness of the setting up to parody levels. You can tell that the devs knew the concept of Warhammer Chess was utterly ridiculous from them.

I remember one of them had some dude making this lovecraftian video log about strange voices he was hearing and all sorts of other eldritch sounding crap with the implication that he was heading towards a fate worse than death by following up on them.

When I first saw it I thought "Holy poo poo, they're making a survival horror game set in the Warhammer universe! That's going to be disturbing as hell.". Then once I figured out what the game was about all I could think of when seeing it was "Jesus christ man, it's just CHESS! Man the gently caress up. We do it all the time here!".

Edit: Found it. It's still hilarious now that we know what Regicide is. They even have it as an opening cinematic! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv1Mp3v25fA

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 19, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
I maintain they should have dropped the chess bit and made a 40K horror game off that video.

Also the animation is bizarrely good in that trailer.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Orv posted:

I maintain they should have dropped the chess bit and made a 40K horror game off that video.

Yeah, clarified my post to reflect that. That video is something straight out of a triple A horror game trailer. Back when it was first announced it got you hyped up for some Warhammer and Outlast style horror. Then --- whoops, turns out it's time to play some chess, motherfuckers!

I refuse to believe that wasn't intentional. Or that someone at GW stepped in at the last second as they were making that trailer and demanded they make a chess game instead.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I still think they should make a game where you are just a guardsmen and its a horror survival game as you face off against everything else in the warhammer universe that is much better at killing you then you are at killing them.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

BadLlama posted:

I still think they should make a game where you are just a guardsmen and its a horror survival game as you face off against everything else in the warhammer universe that is much better at killing you then you are at killing them.

That's pretty much what the trailer infers. Hence the ensuing hype and people freaking out when they realized what Regicide actually was. :v:

Edit: That being said, i've heard that Regicide is actually really good. It's not just a chess game from what some folks have told me. Apparently it has it's own "battle" mode that acts a sort of pseudo chess mode while having unique mechanics. It's called Regicide mode and is pretty in depth. It also has a classic chess mode for people who enjoy that too.

Part of the Steam page on Regicide mode posted:

Plan the attack and command your soldiers through two phases of combat. Open fire on your enemies, utilise tactical abilities and unleash psychic powers to crush your foes. Fight your way through violent single and multiplayer battles to destroy everything that stands between you and certain victory.

45 unique player and unit abilities: Unleash an overwhelming array of player and unit abilities to bring devastation to your enemies. Customise your ability loadouts to match your play style.

Checking it, it also has a 50 mission single player campaign and the promise of new armies (and accompanying tactics and styles of fighting for regicide mode) down the line. It's pretty much a complete game masking as a $14.99 chess ripoff. :psyduck:

It's pretty mind boggling that it's apparently decent given that most people thought it was just going to be your standard chess ripoff in the vein of every other two bit GW licensed game.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 19, 2016

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Archonex posted:

That's pretty much what the trailer infers. Hence the ensuing hype and people freaking out when they realized what Regicide actually was. :v:

Oh never saw that trailer.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Oh never saw that trailer.

The best part is that the game wasn't released with Chaos, Necrons, or anything else that typically drives men insane in that setting. Instead it has the usual Orks vs Space Marines duking it out. Which is utterly hilarious.

The trailer has absolutely nothing to do with the game as it stood at release and currently stands. It's part of why i'm pretty certain that Hammerfall Studios got redirected by GW to make a chess game instead of a survival horror game at some point.

Cowstomper
Oct 16, 2005

Archonex posted:

The best part is that the game wasn't released with Chaos, Necrons, or anything else that typically drives men insane in that setting. Instead it has the usual Orks vs Space Marines duking it out. Which is utterly hilarious.

The trailer has absolutely nothing to do with the game as it stood at release and currently stands. It's part of why i'm pretty certain that Hammerfall Studios got redirected by GW to make a chess game instead of a survival horror game at some point.

Maybe GW just thinks chess is really scary.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Cowstomper posted:

Maybe GW just thinks chess is really scary.

Well it's a consistent set of rules that's trivial to pick up, nearly impossible to master, readily translates to a tournament setting, and does not require the frequent purchase of new models to keep up with an ever-changing meta.

Of course it terrifies Games Workshop.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
Seeing people talk about Eternal Crusade just makes me want to re-install Space Marine and magically have a bunch of people playing multi-player.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

NeurosisHead posted:

Seeing people talk about Eternal Crusade just makes me want to re-install Space Marine and magically have a bunch of people playing multi-player.

There are still usually enough people to play at least one much on most nights. Half of them just happen to be people who have played it nonstop since it came. They are so good you kind of feel bad for them.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Archonex posted:

Edit: That being said, i've heard that Regicide is actually really good. It's not just a chess game from what some folks have told me. Apparently it has it's own "battle" mode that acts a sort of pseudo chess mode while having unique mechanics. It's called Regicide mode and is pretty in depth. It also has a classic chess mode for people who enjoy that too.

Checking it, it also has a 50 mission single player campaign and the promise of new armies (and accompanying tactics and styles of fighting for regicide mode) down the line. It's pretty much a complete game masking as a $14.99 chess ripoff. :psyduck:

It's pretty mind boggling that it's apparently decent given that most people thought it was just going to be your standard chess ripoff in the vein of every other two bit GW licensed game.

So they just remade Battle Chess? Huh.
To be fair about the Orks vs Speis Mureens comment, a Space Ork would be loving terrifying to the average Imperial Guard shmuck.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe

Dreadwroth posted:

So they just remade Battle Chess? Huh.
To be fair about the Orks vs Speis Mureens comment, a Space Ork would be loving terrifying to the average Imperial Guard shmuck.

But not in a "being stalked by a formless horror I cannot see or name, this will be my last video log before my horrible fate" kind of way. Unless the survival horror game was going to be about the fabled purple orks.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Ben Smash posted:

Is anybody going to poo poo their pants if I write a legit thread this weekend? I just got EC last night and it has pretty strong potential and I give enough shits to write a decent OP.

Do it dude, that would be awesome.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Ben Smash posted:

I'm sure someone will poo poo their pants this weekend.

I'm not certain it would be because you did a proper OP.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Heresy grows from idleness.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

randombattle posted:

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.

Hmmm this seems familiar somehow. Hmmmmmmm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweaty Palms
Jan 11, 2010

Its not me.
Its YOU!

Uziduke posted:

I have high hopes for Warhammmer Total War, but making a MMO about war just doesn't work for the most part. You are a soldier in the army, you don't go wondering off solo doing quest.

True but there is a very well developed PnP game revolving around Inquisitors and the Inquisition called Dark Heresy that they could of easily pulled ideas from and build a MMO off. But GW is run by goddamn idiot savants who are brilliant at crafting a masterful IP Lore in the form of books, audio dramas, etc and the tabletop game (though some would question their recent bullshit changes but that is another discussion) itself along with their mini-line up (again room for debate in this area) but utterly drooling morons when it comes to fully capitalizing on that IP in the form of decent PC and console video game spin offs and tributes, etc.

Sweaty Palms fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 22, 2016

• Locked thread