Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Thats really sad if thats not a source quote thingie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The quick and easy way to explain it all is what if Starcraft 2 and its expansions all launched on the same day.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
People have real bad opinions about fire emblem itt

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

cheetah7071 posted:

People have real bad opinions about fire emblem itt

There's a thread where people have good opinions about Fire Emblem?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Forest Thief Pud posted:

All it really boils down to is that Fates took a route split, which is a common thing a lot of SRPGs do, and carved it up into separate releases because either IntSys is really bad at editing their work or the more likely answer is that Nintendo knew they can get away with dumb bullshit with their various years of built up good will and you'll have idiots defending practices like this because it's Nintendo/Fire Emblem attached.

It gets worst when you've got the special edition showing they could at least cram the first two onto a single physical cartridge, but won't make that the base game due to laziness, incompetence, good old fashioned greed, or a mixture of all three. There's DLC on top of that, because why not make you pay nearly 100-120 bucks for the complete game package at the end of the day. Not like anyone protesting at this point actually does much anyways, because this monstrosity sold like hotcakes and we can welcome our new future of other route splits in later Fire Emblem games being marketed as separate games.

Are you for real right now

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I love how I always have to double check to see if I'm in YCS or not itt

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kanfy posted:

LET ME TELL YOU HOW THE WILY ANIME STOLE OUR JOBS SMASH BROTHERS CHARACTER SLOT

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

10 years from now people still won't be sure what fire emblem fates is

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

lets hang out posted:

10 years from now people still won't be sure what fire emblem fates is

Well, yeah, President Trump is going to outlaw video games in 2019, we all know that.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Kanfy posted:

All the regulars in the FE threads have opinions somewhere between fine and good, we just spend all our time shitposting. The truly bad opinions all come from people who aren't really paying attention.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

If Intsys did the same thing for Advance Wars, I would gobble that poo poo up like the consumer whore that I am.

days of ruin/dual strike split. if you buy the days of ruin version i will personally kill you

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ImpAtom posted:

Well, yeah, President Trump is going to outlaw video games in 2019, we all know that.

We'll have the annual purge to make up for it

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I lost my Vita and so can't play Trails in the Sky the first one or whatever. But now that Cold Steel is out and it looks like the whole "trilogy" is gonna get localized I sorta feel like I should check it out.

Cold Steel is on the PS3 too right? Could I enjoy it just the same without having played the first one?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Ar Tonelico II is good

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I lost my Vita and so can't play Trails in the Sky the first one or whatever. But now that Cold Steel is out and it looks like the whole "trilogy" is gonna get localized I sorta feel like I should check it out.

Cold Steel is on the PS3 too right? Could I enjoy it just the same without having played the first one?

Yes. Cold Steel is self-contained though it does feature callbacks to other games. (At least one of which hasn't been translated at all.) It's perfectly understandable without playing those games you just miss out on some of the larger context of stuff.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Tired Moritz posted:

Ar Tonelico II is good

Especially the part where the penultimate boss crashes the game on turn 3

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah you can jump in. You'll be missing a little context and some stuff will be spoiled for you if you go back to Trails in the Sky though. Also Trails in the Sky is on PC too and even toasters should be able to run it, though Cold Steel is Vita and PS3 only.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

cheetah7071 posted:

Especially the part where the penultimate boss crashes the game on turn 3

well that's not exactly the game's fault. the localisation did that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I actually really liked that fight because it was the only part of the game that was hard

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yeah you can jump in. You'll be missing a little context and some stuff will be spoiled for you if you go back to Trails in the Sky though. Also Trails in the Sky is on PC too and even toasters should be able to run it, though Cold Steel is Vita and PS3 only.

Hm, I could do with some anime on my PC. Does it control fine with a keyboard or do I need to figure out how to get my PS4 controller to work on my laptop?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Hm, I could do with some anime on my PC. Does it control fine with a keyboard or do I need to figure out how to get my PS4 controller to work on my laptop?

It works better with M&KB, imo. TitS was originally a PC game to begin with.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Some of the menus in TitS actually have issues with controllers and require you to wave your mouse over them before they'll even register.

On a different subject, Wild Arms 1 is cool.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Wild Arms 1 IS cool. I wish a new game would make use of the Tool system for puzzles and poo poo. It really adds a lot to the dungeons.

Motto posted:

It works better with M&KB, imo. TitS was originally a PC game to begin with.

So no button mashing or timed hits in the battle system or minigames?

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Feb 16, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Nope.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

There's an optional timed button press fishing minigame in SC. That's pretty much it. The fishing minigame in FC doesn't even have any, it's just a series of menus.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Nope. There's a fishing minigame, but it's not worth bothering with until SC. Later games add more and more minigames and stuff, like a PuyoPuyo type game in Azure.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
When Ao no Kiseki gets translated I'm gonna get the high score in Trails of Puyo Pop

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Motto posted:

Nope. There's a fishing minigame, but it's not worth bothering with until SC. Later games add more and more minigames and stuff, like a PuyoPuyo type game in Azure.

Wait, what? God drat you to hell XSEED! Why are you denying me Puyotrails

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

even comes with chiptune remixes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

ImpAtom posted:

i'm sure they want it translated as much as anyone else, it's just difficult cause it is on the deadest and gayest handheld

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

cheetah7071 posted:

I actually really liked that fight because it was the only part of the game that was hard

Every single fight so far has just been "poo poo out pity damage with the frontline guys while you wait for wizards to charge and one shot the whole encounter." Does it ever pick up difficulty?

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Dedicated thread not big enough to handle all the Fire Emblem Fates hate-loving you people like to do? Yeah I said "you people."

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Every single fight so far has just been "poo poo out pity damage with the frontline guys while you wait for wizards to charge and one shot the whole encounter." Does it ever pick up difficulty?

There's one hard boss. That boss is only hard because of a glitch

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

bloodychill posted:

Dedicated thread not big enough to handle all the Fire Emblem Fates hate-loving you people like to do? Yeah I said "you people."
that conversation is over

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Some optional fights against Reyvateils can get pretty drat rough, otherwise no not really.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Finally saw one of these out in the wild!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Now imagine Lightning decapitating a behemoth and grilling its still-warm flesh over an open fire while wearing that.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Endorph posted:

that conversation is over

good

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ImpAtom posted:

Now imagine Lightning decapitating a behemoth and grilling its still-warm flesh over an open fire while wearing that.

That's for the Tide ad series next.

ImpAtom posted:

Yes. Cold Steel is self-contained though it does feature callbacks to other games. (At least one of which hasn't been translated at all.) It's perfectly understandable without playing those games you just miss out on some of the larger context of stuff.

The main girl in TOCS resembles Milla Maxwell to such a large extent that I keep mentally calling her Milla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Not really XSEED's fault. Both Falcom and XSEED want to do it, it's just dependent on whether they find the time to do it and if the series is profitable enough. It seems to be doing okay sales wise, so it's probably only a matter of time.

The Taint Reaper posted:

The main girl in TOCS resembles Milla Maxwell to such a large extent that I keep mentally calling her Milla.

She doesn't really act like Milla though.