Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

strategery posted:

Ah thanks. I feel this game is going to motivate some (personal) education moments on world history.

This game really makes me wish I had taken some of those European history classes they offered in high school and college.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Fister Roboto posted:

This game really makes me wish I had taken some of those European history classes they offered in high school and college.
I played EU1 when I was a teenager and it caused me to take too many history classes in highschool and college.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Bort Bortles posted:

poo poo, that could be a lot of work, but I have 100+ years and I am pretty powerful. To Guarantee I just have to be bigger in terms of development, right?

edit: The problem is that Europe is a goddamn hugfest of big powers being allied. I doubt I could muster the strength to beat up Scandanavia and her allies enough to get Muscovy enough of her land back - she lost Moscow to the Commonwealth and I am preeeeety sure they need that to form Russia.

Sounds like a challenge, but not insurmountable. Look for your moment and jump on it! Believe in yourself... :)

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Is it still possible to trigger the Burgundian inheritance by sitting on burg with a 100% war score? Doing it as France in 1951 but I've never had any luck getting it to work

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Well it can't fire after 1500 for one thing.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

EwokEntourage posted:

Is it still possible to trigger the Burgundian inheritance by sitting on burg with a 100% war score? Doing it as France in 1951 but I've never had any luck getting it to work

You have to lower their national will more. Try nukes.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Sheep posted:

Woops I thought this was still Ethiopia chat, nevermind.

Edit: Ethiopia chat time - any strategies for changing from Coptic? -2% local missionary chance blows.

I seem to recall they nerfed changing religion - you used to be able to do it easily by just owning more than 50% of your cores as a different religion, by voluntarily giving in to religious rebels.

If this still works then just conquer a ton of poo poo to your east and south before mopping up Nubia and friends, just get the gold mine first :shobon:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

I had a massive MP political dispute with a friend playing as Russia because he wanted Crimea ASAP because "it was loving Russian not Turkish wtf" and it took way to long to convince him that Russia didn't control all of Russia in 1500 and that yes, the turks did in fact liked the crimean area a lot.

He's in political science and didn't know this.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

I bought EU3 when I was in high school and now I have a bachelor's in history and earn enough to be considered 'poor' by the federal government.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Fair point, make that 1451

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED

Mans posted:

I had a massive MP political dispute with a friend playing as Russia because he wanted Crimea ASAP because "it was loving Russian not Turkish wtf" and it took way to long to convince him that Russia didn't control all of Russia in 1500 and that yes, the turks did in fact liked the crimean area a lot.

He's in political science and didn't know this.

IT ALL BELONGS TO MOTHER RUSSIA!

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

EwokEntourage posted:

MTTH with 100% WS, them as a lucky nation, an heir, but no ruler/heir as leader: 131 months, or a little shy of 11 years. Still not that likely.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Starting my first Ironman Venice run and I'm a bit lost. What are the preferred idea groups for a republic? I befriended Austria to make the Ottomans think twice about getting fresh, and plan to form Italy for the achievement.

So, just wait until the HRE leaves the peninsula and then swallow everyone? I'm planning to snag Ragusa when the Ottos are busy elsewhere, then maybe dip south for the alexandria trde nodes while they are busy battling the Ottomans.

Also, are marches really that much better than regular vassals for warfare?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Sephyr posted:

Starting my first Ironman Venice run and I'm a bit lost. What are the preferred idea groups for a republic? I befriended Austria to make the Ottomans think twice about getting fresh, and plan to form Italy for the achievement.

So, just wait until the HRE leaves the peninsula and then swallow everyone? I'm planning to snag Ragusa when the Ottos are busy elsewhere, then maybe dip south for the alexandria trde nodes while they are busy battling the Ottomans.

Plutocratic is really good and I basically never find myself in a situation as a republic where I don't want to take it as one of my first few groups. For Venice specifically, Trade is a good first diplo group because you want merchants and they are hard to come by otherwise. You will often want Humanist as a first admin group for Venice since your easiest avenue of expansion early on is eating the Orthodox minors, but if you are going full Italy it might be easier to go Administrative first because it makes it a lot easier to run with loads of mercs and the coring discount is great for high development Italian provinces.

Marches aren't hugely superior to vassals, but they can definitely make the difference if you are evenly matched with your enemy otherwise just because they have more staying power in wars than a regular vassal does.

Dibujante
Jul 27, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Once they reach medium size, yes. The reason for this is that very small marches are subject to the game's manpower and force limit floors. If you have too small a manpower or force limit, the game just substitutes the minimum.

For example, if you have 100 manpower a year, the game will give you 1200 manpower a year. If you are a march with 100 manpower a year, that means 120 manpower a year after bonuses. The game will give you 1200 manpower a year.

However, once you have 1200 or more manpower a year from your provinces, then being a march means 1440. That's a big deal.

Similarly to force limit. If you have between 1 and 4 force limit, the game will give you 6. So a very small march will get the same force limit as a similarly-sized vassal.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Sephyr posted:

Go for broke and take Constantinople. Ally Austria and Poland if you can, take out Byz first, then strike down the Ottoman's when they are weak. If you do get Constantinople then definitely take Crimea and those juicy trade provinces there. That one will have to wait until italy is out of the HRE though, unles Genoa gets beat down by Crimea.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

A disaster just started ticking for me: "Aspiration for Liberty" because I am an Absolute Monarchy. There is no way to avoid it unless I change government types, but my only other modern-ish option is Constitutional Monarchy, which has the Parliament mechanics that are super tedious in large empires? This doesnt sound fun at all, time to start a new game I guess!

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Crush them, like you do with all subjects who don't know their place.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Bort Bortles posted:

A disaster just started ticking for me: "Aspiration for Liberty" because I am an Absolute Monarchy. There is no way to avoid it unless I change government types, but my only other modern-ish option is Constitutional Monarchy, which has the Parliament mechanics that are super tedious in large empires? This doesnt sound fun at all, time to start a new game I guess!

Hand out seats to every province, ignore any and all votes. You lose 20 prestige every 5 years (ie: nothing) and gain +10% Manpower, +10% Tax, and +10% Production Efficiency.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

PittTheElder posted:

Hand out seats to every province, ignore any and all votes. You lose 20 prestige every 5 years (ie: nothing) and gain +10% Manpower, +10% Tax, and +10% Production Efficiency.

I have this suspicion that a lot of the mechanics for the last 150 years of the game aren't all that well implemented :(

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

PittTheElder posted:

I uh okay neat, thanks, hahah

I idle at 90 Prestige so yeah that sounds very worth it.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I have this suspicion that a lot of the mechanics for the last 150 years of the game aren't all that well implemented :(
What? No! I can't remember the last time I played a game this late, and it definitely wasn't on ironman like I am now, and this reminds me why! Thankfully all the guys that post in this thread are awesome and have great advice all the time.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
In my current game Genoa has completely relocated to the steppes. Early on they conquered a lot of Crimea, but repeated nationalist insurgencies kept causing them to lose big chunks of their territory there, even as they continued to expand deeper into Asia. Meanwhile they repeatedly lost territory in Europe to Savoy and Milan. Now they've lost all of their original territory and are a completely landlocked, yet sizeable Italian colony located deep in the steppes.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

lol

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Are there any alternative Germany chains that's not the HRE kaiser-haver reform path in the game? Would be nice to have some options/variety like the Confederation of the Rhine, North/South German Federations, German Confederation and maybe something Hansa related. Some of those are obviously a little out of time frame but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Saw some outdated NGF mod in the workshop but not much else... Maybe I'll just put together something.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Bort Bortles posted:

I remember either 1.14 or 1.15 came with a few big changes to parliaments to make them work better for large empires.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

same

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Pimpmust posted:

Are there any alternative Germany chains that's not the HRE kaiser-haver reform path in the game? Would be nice to have some options/variety like the Confederation of the Rhine, North/South German Federations, German Confederation and maybe something Hansa related. Some of those are obviously a little out of time frame but that shouldn't be a big deal.

Saw some outdated NGF mod in the workshop but not much else... Maybe I'll just put together something.

Er, I'm confused. Passing all the reforms as Emperor causes the HRE states to combine into a single sovereign nation simply called the Holy Roman Empire.

In order to become Germany, you just need to conquer a certain set of land in the German region. For maximum historicity I guess you'd start as Brandenburg, form Prussia, and then diplo-annex tiny German states.

If you're asking if there's some kind of scripted chain of events that lets you do it as opposed to acquiring the requisite land somehow (be it by conquest, inheritance, or annexation) and taking the decision, then no, I don't think so.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
I think the last patch set a maximum number of seats to make parliament mechanics not utterly suck for large empires.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Bort Bortles posted:

Tahirovic posted:

I think the last patch set a maximum number of seats to make parliament mechanics not utterly suck for large empires.

This, and why not just let the disaster happen if you don't want to switch?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Pimpmust posted:

You can always form Westphalia.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

:black101:

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Star posted:

Or Hannover!

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

THE BAR posted:

Or Hannover!

Or Prussia!

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Star posted:

The last time I tried to form Westphalia I seemed to have issues and it didn't really want to work for some reason. :(

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Thinking more on a higher level of multiple german kingdoms and duchies either getting together on their own, being forced by an outside power (France) or by rebels. And simplest: conquer thy neighbours.

The point being some larger formable central european states that aren't HRE/Germany supersized.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

YF-23 posted:

I remember either 1.14 or 1.15 came with a few big changes to parliaments to make them work better for large empires.

Tahirovic posted:

Chickpea Roar posted:

This, and why not just let the disaster happen if you don't want to switch?
poo poo, you guys are right there was some changes to Parliaments.

I dont want the disaster to happen because disasters are bad? The description of what will happen is vague so I dont want to explode or something.

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax

Bort Bortles posted:

poo poo, you guys are right there was some changes to Parliaments.

I dont want the disaster to happen because disasters are bad? The description of what will happen is vague so I dont want to explode or something.

Well it won't be a game over... which is what will happen if you abandon the game to avoid it.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

TacticalUrbanHomo posted:

Well it won't be a game over... which is what will happen if you abandon the game to avoid it.
I already got my achievement :v:

I was more lamenting my lack of choice - needing to decide between:
  • A government form that causes what looks to be a bad disaster.
  • A government form that is either tedious to deal with/adds mechanics I do not care for unless I game the system (pull a Pitt The Elder maneuver).
  • A government form that is outdated and quite underpowered compared to either of the above

It is something else to add to my list of why Monarchies need an overhaul :spergin:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Looks like the disaster will never start unless you go into negative stab, so it seems easy enough to avoid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw

• Locked thread