Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
It sounds like a ridiculous book, but they use the word "gobsmacked" in the summary so now.... Now I am conflicted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Olanphonia posted:

There are rumors that this new book Curse of the Wulfen by some guy I've never heard of might be the beginning of a End Times-esque move for 40k.

Would they really do that in a book that isn't even getting a physical release?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I was bout to ask. Can I buy a physical copy

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Olanphonia posted:

There are rumors that this new book Curse of the Wulfen by some guy I've never heard of might be the beginning of a End Times-esque move for 40k.

I would be surprised if the financial results of the Warhammer fantasy end times are something that would inspire them to do it again in 40k.

\/\/ Edit: sorry, to clarify, I meant the sales from Age of Sigmar figures. I don't doubt those books sold well.

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Feb 15, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
End Times was huge for Fantasy

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Olanphonia posted:

There have been rumors saying that for every release since Age of Sigmar happened.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The Beast Arises will end with the Imperium in the 33rd millennium solving their problem by teleporting the Beast into the 41st millennium, thus starting the 40k End Times

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Let's be honest; the End Times will start as soon as they tick over to M42, but it won't be much more apocalyptic than anything else that's happened in the setting. Anything of significance that does happen will be drawn out indefinitely. At best, Terra will be the new Cadia and the planets destroyed per novel rate will go up.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
I've been wondering about an End-time move since the Pandorax novel came out.

Olanphonia
Jul 27, 2006

I'm open to suggestions~

Shazaminator posted:

There have been rumors saying that for every release since Age of Sigmar happened.

Someone in the 40k thread posted spoilers about the book and they seemed like they might be the start of something big. Who knows, they are definitely already changing the 40k rules to be more like AoS

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Let's be honest; If they AoS 40k, it'll be for the exact same reason they originally set out to AoS WHFB - To remove any traces of IP they can't legally challenge. The sticking point for them, by a country mile, is 'Space Marine'. There's no way they can defend that, but they don't want to outright move to Adeptus Astartes because the brand recognition on Space Marine is too strong; I am willing to bet there's been heated debates between Marketing & Legal in Nottingham over it.

If they do it (and eventually, I think they will, but only in response to market forces) it'll be a transition to ensure nothing remains they can't be Chapterhouse'd over again.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

And it will suck even more than AoS.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shockeh posted:

I am willing to bet there's been heated debates between Marketing & Legal in Nottingham over it.

:confused: How? They have no marketing department.

AcidRonin
Apr 2, 2012

iM A ROOKiE RiGHT NOW BUT i PROMiSE YOU EVERY SiNGLE FUCKiN BiTCH ASS ARTiST WHO TRiES TO SHADE ME i WiLL VERBALLY DiSMANTLE YOUR ASSHOLE
Question. Beyond Regicide has a Card game ever been mentioned in the setting? Like poker but more GRIMDARK or something?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Regicide is space chess, but yeah, there's at least one poker-type game mentioned played with the Emperor's Tarot IIRC.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Arquinsiel posted:

Regicide is space chess, but yeah, there's at least one poker-type game mentioned played with the Emperor's Tarot IIRC.

Which is absolutely hilarious that people use a set of cards that can divine the future to play poker.

I mean, I assume they use mundane cards, instead of pysker's cards, since that would probably result in bad things.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Arquinsiel posted:

There's references about card games in ravenor, the gaunts ghost series, maybe? some of the HH novels that focus on rememberancers, the caiphas Cain novels, and the priests of Mars trilogy. That said the only card game I remember actually getting a name was "knights and knaves". I'm sure there's a mention of another card game in lords of Mars but I can't remember it.

Merciful emperor black library's output has cratered completely, is there some dispute between the authors and BL? Or is BL just finally giving up on printed novels? I've picked up but not read the two books in the beast arises series, but honestly I just want the HH or gaunt or eisenhorn or even loving ventris, any of their established series to get a release.

I want to read about tiny plastic spacemen on paper :(.

Greataval
Mar 26, 2010
Its kinda shocking considering 10 years ago BL was putting out some many paperbacks of varying quality and that was fine. Like i wish i understood the reasoning behind only releasing 5 novels this year with a bunch of lovely novellas.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Klaus88 posted:

Which is absolutely hilarious that people use a set of cards that can divine the future to play poker.

I mean, I assume they use mundane cards, instead of pysker's cards, since that would probably result in bad things.
Who's to say there's anything actually non-mundane about the cards the psykers use anyways? Maybe they muck about with reality and generate messages from the Emperor by loving local reality or whatever.

Also IRL the tarot decks were developed from regular playing cards, so why not in 40k too?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Greataval posted:

Its kinda shocking considering 10 years ago BL was putting out some many paperbacks of varying quality and that was fine. Like i wish i understood the reasoning behind only releasing 5 novels this year with a bunch of lovely novellas.

It's February. It's February 15th. Five novels in a month and a half seems like an acceptable number of novels to me.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

It's February. It's February 15th. Five novels in a month and a half seems like an acceptable number of novels to me.

what the hell came out

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Waroduce posted:

what the hell came out

The first two Beast Arises books, Ahriman Unchanged, and Flesh Tearers are the ones I know of. Greataval said five but I don't know what the fifth one was

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

boom boom boom posted:

The first two Beast Arises books, Ahriman Unchanged, and Flesh Tearers are the ones I know of. Greataval said five but I don't know what the fifth one was

yeah, but flesh tearers are the worst chapter of space marienes. they are just the EDGE marines.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, but flesh tearers are the worst chapter of space marienes. they are just the EDGE marines.

Nah, the Lamenters are the worst, but we love them for it.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
I want to read the story of an inductee to the Space Sharks from a pleasure world. I'm pretty sure they hit one of those along with some others after the Badab unpleasantness.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

So I've been reading the The Vampire Genevieve omnibus recently as I wanted to finish it for once.
And it's really good. Really drat good at times. The best story so far was the one in the second book which could at best be described as a horror story featuring a vampire but the vampire is sidelined right up to the end. It had some great tension and build up to before it just goes nuts. I enjoyed every page of that story and just halfway through the whole collection.

But reading it made me want to read more WHFB Vampire fiction and I recalled Nathan Longs Ulrika the Vampire series. So while looking around for a copy to buy I learned three things:
1. There is no omnibus for it. Which is a drat shame since it's three books.
2. It's still, surprisingly enough, available on the BL store but as digital only for 9eu a piece.
2.5. The BL site really needs to improve their search filters so I stop getting German/French search results constantly.
3. The prices for the printed copies are kind of nuts. The mass paperback versions for book 2 and 3 goes for $25 and $38 on Amazon US. :stare:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Arquinsiel posted:

Who's to say there's anything actually non-mundane about the cards the psykers use anyways? Maybe they muck about with reality and generate messages from the Emperor by loving local reality or whatever.

Also IRL the tarot decks were developed from regular playing cards, so why not in 40k too?

Or it's just a slang term and the magic crystal tarot is not actually the same thing as the card game nicknamed the emperor's tarot. Just like a church key is not literally a church key, or 'wetting the baby's head' is not literally a baptism.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that people were using psychically enhanced cards for the Emperor's Tarot. It was an inquisitor, astropath, or maybe one of the Silver Skulls' prognosticators, I think.

Speaking of Silver Skulls, aren't there some hints or indications that Tzeentch is running a long con on them?

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Silver Skulls: Portents gives that I think, I don't know about other books. But anyone with psychic abilities use cards that react to them. Others can still do the same, but use normal tarot cards.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Don't the Caine books mention him winning at cards a lot? I forget the name of the game though, but there is a poker equivalent

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

Ahriman unchanged came out in mid 2015. Either that or my local water stones REALLY jumped the gun on release :v:.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

rocket_Magnet posted:

Ahriman unchanged came out in mid 2015. Either that or my local water stones REALLY jumped the gun on release :v:.

Amazon lists the release date as January 19th, 2016.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Unchanged is the third yea?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Yep, third and final. It's been out since last year at GW stores. I absolutely loved every insane thing about it. Prospero burns. Again. Also, one of Ahriman's dudes vomits up Doombreed, who proceeds to enter melee combat with a possessed imperator titan.

Lincoln`s Wax fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Feb 16, 2016

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Waroduce posted:

Unchanged is the third yea?

Yes, and it was released in December

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Yep, third and final. It's been out since last year at GW stores. I absolutely loved every insane thing about it. Prospero burns. Again. Also, one of Ahriman's dudes vomits up Doombreed, who proceeds to enter melee combat with a possessed imperator titan.

So he doesn't reverse the rubric?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

Dodoman posted:

Tzeench is the god of false hopes and the illusion of free will, and Ahriman is one of Tzeench's special toys.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I was honestly surprised at the quality of the Ahriman novels, i thought they would be trash. It has one of my favorite passages in all of 40k books, when the bookd describes the wolves that have been hunting Ahriman since Prospero. The wolves seem normal and fine, and are well written, but i was super cool when they busted back into imperial space in pursuit through Cadia and end up killing a bunch of loyalist marines in pursuit and some inquisitor describes the mutated, twisted, warped space wolves. idk it was cool.

im not spoilering that it came out forever ago

e: im gunna read curse of the wolfen so will post trip report

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.

Dodoman posted:

No. Also, maybe yes.

I guess it doesn't count now but the space wolves chasing him were the remnants of the 13th company. The wolves were absolutely terrifying in that novel, just beat down grim as gently caress dudes that have been in the warp since the heresy. One of the cooler bits of that is when they encounter modern codex marines and how fast and organized they are, they're pretty much "Who the gently caress are these dudes?" and they're just some run of the mill marines. There are also grey knights and poo poo and it's just fun.

The first Ahriman novel was pretty good but French just knocked it out of the ballpark with the other two. The second was a bit hard to follow at times because of the time fuckery and the books (I think purposely) raise more questions than they answer but I love them.

Lincoln`s Wax fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Feb 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

No. Also, maybe yes.

I guess it doesn't count now but the space wolves chasing him were the remnants of the 13th company. The wolves were absolutely terrifying in that novel, just beat down grim as gently caress dudes that have been in the warp since the heresy. One of the cooler bits of that is when they encounter modern codex marines and how fast and organized they are, they're pretty much "Who the gently caress are these dudes?" and they're just some run of the mill marines. There are also grey knights and poo poo and it's just fun.

The first Ahriman novel was pretty good but French just knocked it out of the ballpark with the other two. The second was a bit hard to follow at times because of the time fuckery and the books (I think purposely) raise more questions than they answer but I love them.

100% agreed, I went in to the first book with low expectations but it was an excellent read. John French just got better and better with each book, I really enjoyed the crazy time fuckery in the second book and the assault on the conclave is just so 40k :black101:. And the third owned aswell, I'd really put that trilogy as some the best 40k stuff you could read, I've said as much before, but I think some other posters found it to be a bit meh. Across the three books it just manages to tick all the "40k" boxes.