Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a reason people care about the shiny storm trooper that appeared in two scenes before being thrown in a trash chute?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

Well, every mission of hers was the work of a standard 8-hour shift or less. Assuming the Federation doesn't pay bounties by the hour, I'd say that leaves her a fair amount of downtime.

I hear she works at a petting zoo on her downtime.

edit:

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there a reason people care about the shiny storm trooper that appeared in two scenes before being thrown in a trash chute?

GURL

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Internet Kraken posted:

She looks cool. It's the Boba Fett effect.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Phamsa was also really heavily promoted as The Next Big Villain next to Kylo Ren

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Improbable Lobster posted:

Phamsa was also really heavily promoted as The Next Big Villain next to Kylo Ren

Specifically she is Finn's villain. I expect he'll have to beat her by himself somehow to complete his character arc.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Internet Kraken posted:

but it's probably just

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Improbable Lobster posted:

To be fair, her presence in the marketing was a direct result of her reception in the teaser and other promotional material during production.

El Cid
Mar 17, 2005

What good is power when you're too wise to use it?
Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

Most/all signs can be done one handed and those that can't can be spelled. And it would certainly be easier if the suit doesn't have external speakers and the person you're talking to doesn't have a compatible communications device.

COME AT ME BRO

Sounds clearly comes out of her suit, I can hear her grunt all the way out in the 3rd dimension when she walks into a bad guy.

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

Waffleman_ posted:

She looks cool. It's the Boba Fett effect.

Gwendoline Christie also has a fairly solid fan base beforehand and hiring her her also indicates that the plan is that she will play a larger role in the coming movies. So I guess it's based on anticipation for what is to come to a large extent.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Phasma is an even bigger jobber than Boba Fett.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

El Burbo posted:

Phasma is an even bigger jobber than Boba Fett.

She really is. It isn't going to stop her from getting a bigger role in the second movie though. She needs to take her turn among the various Storm Troopers out to kick Finn's rear end.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I thought everyone was saying stormtrooper with the electric-swingy-ma-jig was cooler than Phasma?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
This was a poor idea on a lot of levels

welcome 2 Clown Town
Aug 1, 2006

GALAXY'S #2 SCULL*!

*scrunt skull

lionel ritchie????????????

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Samovar posted:

I thought everyone was saying stormtrooper with the electric-swingy-ma-jig was cooler than Phasma?

People only discovered his prowess and skill after seeing the movie. He might be cooler according to many people, but his publicity is not as good as Phasma's.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Samovar posted:

His name is FN-2199, or Nines.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Samovar posted:

He is

http://i.imgur.com/xnoIFbR.gifv

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

and because everything should be touhou

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Eggbeater Jesus posted:

Assuming the Federation doesn't pay bounties by the hour

I think they must do, if she finishes her missions in less than two hours then she can't afford to buy clothes

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Suaimhneas posted:

I think they must do, if she finishes her missions in less than two hours then she can't afford to buy clothes

That would explain why she has to scrounge for so much equipment.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Happy Lifeday Navin

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

pacific swim

Concordat has a new favorite as of 02:32 on Jan 28, 2017

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's not the whole thing but it's great, a cute little after-the-fact comic series.

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

But what about the Wei triplets? :ohdear:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
They show up too. That's like, less than a third of the comic. I think they wind up on a deserted island and have cherno alpha as the core of their village.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Why did Pacific Rim kill off all the cool characters is what I'm asking. Well, except Charlie and the professor who was in Game of Thrones.

Video about the deadliest Fallout enemy who has been in the series since Fallout 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98_MIROBmVg

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Rangpur posted:

Firing the cannon counts as an exclamation point.

This sentence is way too underappreciated, and I love the idea of birb samus

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
2016 Oscars.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

The MSJ posted:

Why did Pacific Rim kill off all the cool characters is what I'm asking. Well, except Charlie and the professor who was in Game of Thrones.

Because it's the end of the whole story. There was supposed to be comics and a cartoon exploring earlier years of all those characters, but opening against Grown-Ups 2 and a week after Despicable Me 2 hurt sales and WB refused to really advertise or support it, despite making over 400 million worldwide. That hasn't stopped fans from producing some quality fanwork though, including a fan book and a tarot set.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Say Nothing posted:

2016 Oscars.

I see that Habbo is as strong as it always was

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The MSJ posted:

Video about the deadliest Fallout enemy who has been in the series since Fallout 1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98_MIROBmVg

I also kind of saw it as an extreme version of the worf effect- you have all these badass heroes and their cool robots, but watching them get whooped shows how much poo poo got real.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Because it's the end of the whole story. There was supposed to be comics and a cartoon exploring earlier years of all those characters, but opening against Grown-Ups 2 and a week after Despicable Me 2 hurt sales and WB refused to really advertise or support it, despite making over 400 million worldwide. That hasn't stopped fans from producing some quality fanwork though, including a fan book and a tarot set.

Sequels still coming, not matter how many times they try to cancel it.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Internet Kraken posted:

She's like a blank slate that you can impose all your wishes upon, except, you know, chrome.

Is she a secret rebel sympathizer? They don't say she's not in the movie - It's fair game.

Is she the past/future science magic baby of Obi Wan and Qui-gon? They don't say she's not in the movie - It's fair game.

Is she a lesbian? They don't say she's not in the movie - It's fair game.

There are two rules when it comes to this character 1) Female and 2) Shiny. Literally anything else is a guess.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Mr Tastee posted:

I have to say, having silent protagonists speak in sign language is a neat trend I'm all for.

Also Other M would be a much better game if Samus only spoke by making bird calls.

I am super digging mute sign language Samus. I shall now ignore all canon and replace it thusly.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

As far as tumblr goes, people like Captain Phasma because she looks like a cool lady and is played by a cool lady.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Just Offscreen posted:

I am super digging mute sign language Samus. I shall now ignore all canon and replace it thusly.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Samovar posted:

This wouldn't be an issue if we didn't live in an age with celebrity watching and tons of fast access to information because it's all pretty meta if you think about it. Gwendolin's character is actually pre-hyped in the anticipation that the studio will probably use this higher profile actor for something important sometime later, especially considering that she's present alongside the other main actors in a lot of press functions. Apparently, however, her character in the film sat this one out. 40 years ago she'd probably be as forgettable as the stormtrooper with the special gold pauldron but now in 2016 we know much better. Daniel Craig also did a cameo as a stormtrooper with lines but that was just for fun since he's not involved in any promotional stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Did you guys all forget the Darth Maul hype machine or what? This is literally Boba Fett part 3, unless they actually do something with her later.

I like her because I am a big nerd who likes Phantasm

• Locked thread